Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2015 11:45:28 AM EDT
Do you use any type of thread treatment before you put your suppressor on such as any type of loctite, teflon tape etc?  Do you have any issues with it coming loose?

I am debating on whether to get a three lug adapter or not.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Do you use any type of thread treatment before you put your suppressor on such as any type of loctite, teflon tape etc?  Do you have any issues with it coming loose?

View Quote

I've never had a problem with direct thread centerfire rifle cans coming loose.  I think people make it out to be a bigger issue than it actually is.

Pistol cans are a different story.  All my pistol cans seem to work loose after a few mags.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#2]
My center fire thread on cans will all come loose when shooting in full auto or doing mag dumps.  

That being said the only two I've done that with are a trek and an HVT.  

For handguns MOST of the time flicking the wrist for the last quarter turn to get it to be a little extra tight seems to help 99% of the time with the pistol cans loosening.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My center fire thread on cans will all come loose when shooting in full auto or doing mag dumps.  

That being said the only two I've done that with are a trek and an HVT.  

For handguns MOST of the time flicking the wrist for the last quarter turn to get it to be a little extra tight seems to help 99% of the time with the pistol cans loosening.
View Quote

I can't afford full auto, so that may be why I don't have any issues.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I use teflon tape and it holds fairly well for a range session
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

It doesn't melt? My cans get pretty hot.

I have not had any trouble with my direct thread suppressors backing odd.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive had one work loose on my bolt gun, but I'm pretty sure that since I didn't get it on tight. on a full auto(sadly don't own) it might be an issue.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I just hand tighten or check it about every 10-30 shots or so.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to 550F. The hottest I've measured my can at is 400.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's how I roll. Also, I've yet to feel it tighten up more when I do this meaning the can has not loosened during my shooting.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info everyone.  Seems that the 3 lug might not be the necessity that I had build up in my mind.  

One less thing to worry about and one less part to buy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info everyone.  Seems that the 3 lug might not be the necessity that I had build up in my mind.  

One less thing to worry about and one less part to buy.
View Quote

Personally I only buy direct thread suppressors. But I have a suppressor for every gun I own. I just don't have a need for qd suppressors.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes mine comes loose after 3-5 shots no matter how hard i hand tighten. I use Rocksett and have no issues with it coming off even with full auto fire. It is pretty hard to removed but its not like i do that often, usually a major repair or upgrade to the firearm. I clean the threads before reapplying the Rocksett.

A lot of people dont like direct thread suppressors but if you have the money for a dedicated suppressor and want the shortest lightest suppressor possible its the way to go. Oh and look into titanium, its a big weight reduction.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's how I roll. Also, I've yet to feel it tighten up more when I do this meaning the can has not loosened during my shooting.
View Quote

This works for bench rest or other slow rate of fire shooting but not for anything remotely tactical. I dont want to have to check my suppressor half way though a mag or even every mag, not to mention the thought of touching it when it several hundred degrees.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:59:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes mine comes loose after 3-5 shots no matter how hard i hand tighten. I use Rocksett and have no issues with it coming off even with full auto fire. It is pretty hard to removed but its not like i do that often, usually a major repair or upgrade to the firearm. I clean the threads before reapplying the Rocksett.

A lot of people dont like direct thread suppressors but if you have the money for a dedicated suppressor and want the shortest lightest suppressor possible its the way to go. Oh and look into titanium, its a big weight reduction.

This works for bench rest or other slow rate of fire shooting but not for anything remotely tactical. I dont want to have to check my suppressor half way though a mag or even every mag, not to mention the thought of touching it when it several hundred degrees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going to look into rocksett on my 5.56 and 300 blackout cans.

Do you have any issues cleaning with the suppressor attached? I normally clean my barrels with a bore snake.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My rifle cans will be QD but for pistol caliber a thread on will serve you well.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've never had a problem with direct thread centerfire rifle cans coming loose.  I think people make it out to be a bigger issue than it actually is.

Pistol cans are a different story.  All my pistol cans seem to work loose after a few mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there's a lot more jerking/jarring going on with a pistol.  my rifle barely moves if i'm prone behind the gun with a rear bag.  i've never had a problem with my direct thread.  i leave it on the gun permanently too.  it's the ultimate muzzle brake and i'm not going back to a traditional brake ever again.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do you have any issues cleaning with the suppressor attached? I normally clean my barrels with a bore snake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a bore snake as well and have no issues cleaning it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'll second this...works better than nothing at all and holds up pretty well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top