[#2]
Went hunting opening morning

Had to improvise.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By k31user:
The very first AE30's I made went to Accurate Ordnance in GA. They seemed to be very happy with them on their  6.5 CM's.
RonA
View Quote
#14 went to me. I have been extremely pleased with it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]
AEM5, KAC MRE, had the barrel cut so the can would be flush with the barrel.

Need to get it its own lower...

Don't know why the one pic is upside down...

Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#5]
16" BA barrel cut to about 12.1"

Just got this together. AEM5 has only been out of jail a couple days.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:37:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By white-rhyno:
16" BA barrel cut to about 12.1"

Just got this together. AEM5 has only been out of jail a couple days.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/361927/20181109_174710_jpg-733744.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/361927/20181109_174829_jpg-733745.JPG
View Quote
Looks great
Can you show me what barrel that was?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

Looks great
Can you show me what barrel that was?
View Quote
https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-556-carbine-length-non-threaded-cmv-modern-barrel.html
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KavonTN:
AEM5, KAC MRE, had the barrel cut so the can would be flush with the barrel.

Need to get it its own lower...

Don't know why the one pic is upside down...

https://i.imgur.com/VJzsMHY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DIOno5e.jpg
View Quote
Never been a huge fan of the MRE rail but that may just change my mind.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone heard from Ron lately?  I shot him two emails over the past month, haven't heard squat.  I need a collar made.

@k31user
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
Anyone heard from Ron lately?  I shot him two emails over the past month, haven't heard squat.  I need a collar made.

@k31user
View Quote
I BS'd with him on the phone last week. He around.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 3:23:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I sent Ron an email a month ago about the shoulderless collars, never heard back from him on it. Was thinking about getting an AEM5 for the AUG I'm getting, but I found the Griffin RSTA for not much more than the AEM5, and they weigh roughly the same.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep. I've been hard to get in touch with lately, and I haven't had a chance to make any collars. I should be back to normal(well, normal for me) by the end of the day tomorrow. If I've ignored you on a collar, give me a call and I'll get it taken care of this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep. I've been hard to get in touch with lately, and I haven't had a chance to make any collars. I should be back to normal(well, normal for me) by the end of the day tomorrow. If I've ignored you on a collar, give me a call and I'll get it taken care of this weekend.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:14:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: k31user] [#14]
I think the angle is off on that collar Pete. Looks like the diameter is a bit big as well. A cup of Rockset should keep it from slipping
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the angle is off on that collar Pete. Looks like the diameter is a bit big as well. A cup of Rockset should keep it from slipping
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:49:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#16]
View Quote
You may reach through the phone and choke me.

I need a collar that moves it about 080 towards the muzzle when compared to the standard aem5 collar.  Thankfully, your flash hider mount has more threads than the brake and as is I get 10 turns.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Just so you guys know, Ron returned my call promptly.  After hearing all that's going on around him I genuinely felt bad for asking for anything right now.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Great work by Compass Lake with the custom barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
Great work by Compass Lake with the custom barrel.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/414212/D91A7C7A-6739-41BA-A5A2-5821167656DB_jpeg-761389.JPG
View Quote
Turned out great!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:20:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#20]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
Love this rig.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:20:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Just now finding this thread as I was exploring the other forums off the beaten path.

I absolutely love the pictures! I built a 6.8 SPC rifle inspired around the Mk 12 Mod 0 and even intended to get an AEM30 for it at some point. Unfortunately though, X-Caliber cut my barrel a little thicker at the business end than I wanted and my AE collar would not fit.

Am I understanding that I can get a custom collar made? If so, id still love to order that AEM30 as the finishing touch for my Mk 12 Look-alike
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I’ve got an Ops Inc. can marked M24. I need to get off my butt and have a M24A2 suppressed clone made or sell that can as I’ve only had it for probably 10 years. I suck.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Ron was the man getting me setup with this collar.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Prosperous:
Just now finding this thread as I was exploring the other forums off the beaten path.

I absolutely love the pictures! I built a 6.8 SPC rifle inspired around the Mk 12 Mod 0 and even intended to get an AEM30 for it at some point. Unfortunately though, X-Caliber cut my barrel a little thicker at the business end than I wanted and my AE collar would not fit.

Am I understanding that I can get a custom collar made? If so, id still love to order that AEM30 as the finishing touch for my Mk 12 Look-alike
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:16:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#27]
I have a question....

I was monumentally retarded and did not notice the end of my rail has a high spot.  My can was tightening against that high spot, but only missing seating on the collar by a few thousandths.

The result was lots of carbon and shitty groups.

Both the top and bottom tine of my brake had a super hard line of scaley stuff on it.  It looked like a ground down weld bead. At first I thought it was copper, but there's no baffle strikes.  I scraped it off with a razor.

Never had that on any of my other rifles, however, this is the only rifle that's been mag dumped.

Should I be worried?

This build has had so much weird shit go wrong that I'm doubting myself on everything.  Out of spec upper, leaking gas block at the tube, new gas block and the roll pin comes out at the range...
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:38:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: k31user] [#28]
The brakes get build up on them fairly quick. Scrape, or soak in CLR and brush off.  If there's no baffle strikes, there's nothing to worry about with the suppressor. It doesn't like not being seated against the collar though. Grouping could suffer.If it shoots well without the suppressor, but not well with it, let me know.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:01:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#29]
The brakes get build up on them fairly quick. Scrape, or soak in CLR and brush off.  If there's no baffle strikes, there's nothing to worry about with the suppressor. It doesn't like not being seated against the collar though. Grouping could suffer.If it shoots well without the suppressor, but not well with it, let me know.
View Quote
Ron, this isn't on the collar you just made for me. That turned out on the numbers perfect.

This rifle is using a standard collar, but the can is off the rail now.  I switched uppers, was able to ditch the barrel nut shims and gained myself a minimum of 020 clearance all the way around the can.  Surprisingly, when trying to flex the rail by loading the bipod hard I can still squeeze in my 020 gauge.

I still might call you for another collar because it makes me nervous.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:26:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rothperson87] [#30]
Mini NSW recce ready to go. Had to trim back the RAS about .040" to get the AEM5 to fit with the spikes tapered gas block but it turned out better than expected. Just needs glass...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:
Mini NSW recce ready to go. Had to trim back the RAS about .040" to get the AEM5 to fit with the spikes tapered gas block but it turned out better than expected. Just needs glass...
http://i64.tinypic.com/v5kdo4.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/2uts01h.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/wso9dz.jpg
View Quote
That is one hawt rifle
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Ron, you going to Shot Show in a couple of weeks? Going to show off some new creations?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#33]
http://i64.tinypic.com/v5kdo4.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/2uts01h.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/wso9dz.jpg
View Quote
Cool. How much space is there in between the front of the gas block and the rear of the AEM5? Is the gas block 1" from front to rear?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

Cool. How much space is there in between the front of the gas block and the rear of the AEM5? Is the gas block 1" from front to rear?
View Quote
The OAL is about 1.25" but the gas block portion is the normal 1". There is the width of a couple credit cards between the can and gas block.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Read this entire thread along with some others and decided to post. I am considering buying my first suppressor (late to the party, I know...). As luck has it, my SPR has an AE / Ops Inc muzzle brake and collar already installed (built by someone else, received by me as new) so I am starting my research with the AEM5.

Unfortunately this barrel does not have the profile for the collar to index off of - currently it is held in place via the set screw only. I have read a few conflicting reports, but it appears to me that this should work but is not the correct setup, as the collar should index from the barrel profile?

I also discovered that the brake was not timed correctly. The large web is up, and what I have read it should be down (small up). From a performance standpoint it hasn't seemed to matter much but I need to obtain a couple of shims and try to fix it (crush washer alone isn't working).

If I can make this setup work as is, the AEM5 is going to top my list in 2019 to enter the NFA game. Otherwise I may have to consider switching out the brake or going with another suppressor.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Set screw will not hold the collar in place when you put a suppressor on it. Hand tightening the suppressor will over power the collar screw.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#37]
You could either have a step put in the barrel or have a custom no step collar made.

I don't know if I would trust a dimple and the setscrew.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Set screw will not hold the collar in place when you put a suppressor on it. Hand tightening the suppressor will over power the collar screw.
View Quote
Originally Posted By KavonTN:
You could either have a step put in the barrel or have a custom no step collar made.

I don't know if I would trust a dimple and the setscrew.
View Quote
Thank you, that was what I expected but needed to verify. I saw a few posts where it seemed people relied on the set screw but that was definitely not correct.

How would a "no step collar" work on this? Does it use the barrel threads to index? Research continues....
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote
I've always wondered, is the set screw just there to stop the collar from rattling with no can?  I.e. if the can never comes off, one wouldn't technically need it, correct?
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:16:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:

I've always wondered, is the set screw just there to stop the collar from rattling with no can?  I.e. if the can never comes off, one wouldn't technically need it, correct?
View Quote
The set screw is just there until the Loctite sets up. Yes, a dab of green or blue loctite is recommended to set the collar in place on the barrel step.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Any of you with an A1 style build with the AEM5, did you have enough clearance for the long collar with the FSB?  I know I’ll have to remove the bayonet lug, but I don’t know if the collar will be too long and contact the base.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Another question for you guys.

If I went with a 12.5 barrel with low pro gas block, can I get a M4 collar to work with it for an AEM5?  No other contouring of the barrel needed....correct?  Just have the correct  threaded brake or flash hider and I should be good to go?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
Another question for you guys.

If I went with a 12.5 barrel with low pro gas block, can I get a M4 collar to work with it for an AEM5?  No other contouring of the barrel needed....correct?  Just have the correct  threaded brake or flash hider and I should be good to go?
View Quote
Correct if the barrel has the M4 profile towards the muzzle. I know Ballistic Advantage and DD are good to go. You can even get away with a FSB but may have to slightly shave the bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Correct if the barrel has the M4 profile towards the muzzle. I know Ballistic Advantage and DD are good to go. You can even get away with a FSB but may have to slightly shave the bayonet lug.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#45]
@Rothperson87 What barrel length did you end up settling on for your above setup?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:06:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rothperson87] [#46]
@Rothperson87 What barrel length did you end up settling on for your above setup?
View Quote
There was a little trial and error to get it right but I believe it’s something like 13.07". At first it was cut to 13.085" but the can wouldn’t come in contact with the collar after 7.5 turns. Trimmed the barrel down a skosh and I’m now getting 6.5 turns. I know there is 1.7" between the end of the taper and the shoulder. @unclemoak will know the exact measurements.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:27:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unclemoak] [#47]

There was a little trial and error to get it right but I believe it's something like 13.07". At first it was cut to 13.085" but the can wouldn't come in contact with the collar after 7.5 turns. Trimmed the barrel down a skosh and I'm now getting 6.5 turns. I know there is 1.7" between the end of the taper and the shoulder. @unclemoak will know the exact measurements.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/462226/F5BB2D49-C705-4AC1-9CBA-03BEC3E38093_jpeg-793772.JPG
View Quote
The first time we tried 1.85" from the gas block to the barrel shoulder based off measurements from a typical 15.1" setup, but then realized it was 0.016" (the thickness of the shims) too long after a little trial and error, so the shoulder was moved back the 0.16" to give 1.69" from the front of the gas block taper to the barrel shoulder.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By unclemoak:

The first time we tried 1.85" from the gas block to the barrel shoulder based off measurements from a typical 15.1" setup, but then realized it was 0.016" (the thickness of the shims) too long after a little trial and error, so the shoulder was moved back the 0.16" to give 1.69" from the front of the gas block taper to the barrel shoulder.
View Quote
This is great information. I’ve got the same tapered gas block and entertaining a setup on a shorter rifle gas length system.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#49]

This is great information. I’ve got the same tapered gas block and entertaining a setup on a shorter rifle gas length system.
View Quote
I haven’t shot but 50 rounds through it but it seems like a smooth shooter w/ the mid-length gas system on such a short barrel. It’s a solid setup. The can locks up nice and tight to the spikes where on my Mod 1 the can has a tendency to walk off the collar after a mag or two. Almost takes some effort to get it off.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#50]
I haven’t shot but 50 rounds through it but it seems like a smooth shooter w/ the mid-length gas system on such a short barrel. It’s a solid setup. The can locks up nice and tight to the spikes where on my Mod 1 the can has a tendency to walk off the collar after a mag or two. Almost takes some effort to get it off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I find it slightly humorous how we both built the same thing, two different ways, and both struggled.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top