Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 102
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I lost the set screw for one of my long SPR collars I got from ADCO.  Does anyone here know the thread pitch and length?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, 6-32

Take the collar with you to a hardware store. Probably need a length under 1/8".
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
6-32 x 1/8".
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:55:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HAMMERF0RGED] [#4]
Here's my AEM2 host, barrel length is around 10.75. I bought the Collar Extender and had an 11.5 barrel chopped so the AEM2 will index right in front of the bayo lug. This gives me the Mk18 feel I was looking for without having to chop the bayo lug and lose a couple of pic slots on my FSP rail.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#5]
hoping you guys could help me out!...my original plan was to pick up an AEM5 for mk12 rifle, but am now considering the idea of grabbing the AEM30 for use on my .308 SPR as well...

the concerns i have is that a the AEM30 on the mk12 wont work as well as the dedicated AEM5, has anyone run it and can comment on how well (or not well) it suppresses?

also, i have never come across an "spr profile" .308 barrel that will fit the collar/break, are these even made or does it require custom machining?

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By drago6:
hoping you guys could help me out!...my original plan was to pick up an AEM5 for mk12 rifle, but am now considering the idea of grabbing the AEM30 for use on my .308 SPR as well...

the concerns i have is that a the AEM30 on the mk12 wont work as well as the dedicated AEM5, has anyone run it and can comment on how well (or not well) it suppresses?

also, i have never come across an "spr profile" .308 barrel that will fit the collar/break, are these even made or does it require custom machining?

View Quote

You can get an AEM5 that's bored out for .30cal. ADCO had some recently, out of stock now though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:13:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jrkirby] [#7]
I thought that the AEM5-30 was more than just a AEM5 bored out to 30 caliber, i think it's a little longer as well.  I was looking into getting one because I have 3 5.56 guns set up for the AEM5 and I figured it would be nice to have another compatible can that I could also use on a future 308 bolt action.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By KavonTN:
You can get an AEM5 that's bored out for .30cal. ADCO had some recently, out of stock now though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KavonTN:

Originally Posted By drago6:

AEM5-30 is similar to the AEM5, but .30 caliber and longer than the AEM5. AE30 doesn't use a muzzle device.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought it was a little bit longer.  Any idea of how the AEM5-30 compares to the AE30 as far as suppression?  I was thinking about getting a AE30 for a future Sako or AI, but the AEM5-30 would be more convenient if I want to take two of my 5.56 guns out that are set up for my AEM5.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#10]
So I was shooting the AEM5 on this:

And when I was cleaning it I noticed this:

Am I correct in assuming that was a baffle strike?
Is that something to worry about? As far as I can tell the can is aligned properly. Its on a 12.5" Barrel with the AEM5 M4 collar. I get about 6.5 turns on the threads. I'm using the flashhider from ADCO instead of the brake.

Should I be worried?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Flyit14:

http://i.imgur.com/ApNgWBW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DNqpn6M.jpg

Is that something to worry about? As far as I can tell the can is aligned properly. Its on a 12.5" Barrel with the AEM5 M4 collar. I get about 6.5 turns on the threads. I'm using the flashhider from ADCO instead of the brake.

Should I be worried?
View Quote

looks like a baffle strike to me, what sort of ammo were you shooting?  You could always send Ron an email and attach that picture for a definitive response.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jrkirby:

looks like a baffle strike to me, what sort of ammo were you shooting?  You could always send Ron an email and attach that picture for a definitive response.
View All Quotes

Should I be worried?

55gr wolf gold. Barrel is 1/7 twist. I'll email Ron.

I presume a strike this small isn't a huge deal. But I don't want it to happen again.
Is it fine to leave it like this? Or does it need repair of some kind?

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#13]

I presume a strike this small isn't a huge deal. But I don't want it to happen again.

View All Quotes

Should I be worried?

I noticed this baby endcap strike a while ago and it hasn't been an issue. 16th model only run on a 12.5" barrel.I'm not gonna lie though, it's had some .22 (cenier kit) through it which I presume was the culprit.

I thought it was a little bit longer.  Any idea of how the AEM5-30 compares to the AE30 as far as suppression?  I was thinking about getting a AE30 for a future Sako or AI, but the AEM5-30 would be more convenient if I want to take two of my 5.56 guns out that are set up for my AEM5.

Don't have my AEM5 yet. Here's a comparison of a 16th model, AEM30, 12th Model .30cal

I'm not sure if the AEM5-30 is the same specs as the 12th .30 though. I've finished my mk12 clone (except for the AEM5) and my 12th will fit on it fine, haven't shot it yet though.  

I've been told that the reason AE30 doesn't have a brake was because the brake would negatively affect accuracy without the can on while using the 12th .30.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:11:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shooterman017] [#14]
Should I be worried?
View Quote

If in doubt, send Ron an email. My AEM3 had a little endcap strike evidence, so I shot him an email with a picture just to be on the safe side. He said it wasn't bad but if I wanted to send him the can to get it touched up I could. It was on my 11.5" 5.56 gun. Also, I have this really bad itch to get an adapter to run my AEM3 on my 10.5" MK18-ish now..and then build a 12.5" upper to run the AEM5 on...
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#15]
What materials are the aem5 made of? I'm assuming stainless but what grade?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Carbon244:
What materials are the aem5 made of? I'm assuming stainless but what grade?
View Quote

I believe they are made from 300 series stainless.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone chronographed their aem5 on an 18 inch barrel to see how much difference there is suppressed vs. unsuppressed?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 12:35:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By dangerdan:
IIRC, 6-32

Take the collar with you to a hardware store. Probably need a length under 1/8".
View Quote

I got a bag from a hardware store a while back, they should have them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 2:22:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#19]
Form 1 cleared last week.

EAT: Apologies for the shit photo quality.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Stamp came in Friday.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

View Quote

This is highly relevant to my interests. I feel like I need a carbine RAS now too. Looking good.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

What was your pending date? I have an aem5 pending as of March 8th. Form 4 trust.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 3:05:07 AM EDT
[#23]

What was your pending date? I have an aem5 pending as of March 8th. Form 4 trust.
View All Quotes

I'm not sure what the pending date was but I mailed the form 4 on February 9th.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By Shooterman017:

This is highly relevant to my interests. I feel like I need a carbine RAS now too. Looking good.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shooterman017:

Thanks. Those FF carbine RASs are slick but they're gonna be tough to find for a while I bet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Whhood:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Whhood:

The paperwork goes pending once the check has been cashed and it has been entered into their system.  Basically its just in line waiting to be examined.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#26]
So I originally mounted my threaded flashhider with a lock washer from an M16A1 parts kit I had.

After the baffle strike I got worried that the lock washer was causing alignment issues ( I dont think it was but I'm paranoid)

So I removed it and attempted to remount the flash hider with a crush washer when this happened:

Oops,

Now before I get another one and screw it up again what is the correct way to mount this thing?

I was using a screwdriver through the holes, didn't even get a 1/16th of a turn before it broke. Barely crushed the crush washer at all.

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I stuck 2 Allen wrenches through the slots, side by side. You could do the same with flat stock that fits the slots, but I have tons of Allen wrenches because they're cheap when you lose them and buy new ones and later find the ones you lost

Then I took a large closed my armorers tool for barrel nuts and used that as leverage against the allen wrenches.

The Allen wrenches help even the torque on the prongs of the flash hider. There's a pic somewhere in this thread that another member helped me out with.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 3:17:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#28]
Courtesy of TheBigStink

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I stuck 2 Allen wrenches through the slots, side by side. You could do the same with flat stock that fits the slots, but I have tons of Allen wrenches because they're cheap when you lose them and buy new ones and later find the ones you lost

Then I took a large closed my armorers tool for barrel nuts and used that as leverage against the allen wrenches.

The Allen wrenches help even the torque on the prongs of the flash hider. There's a pic somewhere in this thread that another member helped me out with.
View Quote

Actually I was incorrect in what I wrote above, I saw that same post and used the allen key method. That's actually what broke the flash hider.

Am I not supposed to use a crush washer?
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 3:22:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#30]

Actually I was incorrect in what I wrote above, I saw that same post and used the allen key method. That's actually what broke the flash hider.

View All Quotes

A crush washer is easier, but you don't need to crank on it too much. Was this on a new crush washer or the previously removed crush washer?

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#31]

A crush washer is easier, but you don't need to crank on it too much. Was this on a new crush washer or the previously removed crush washer?

View All Quotes

A new crush washer. I had a lock washer on there before.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Does the following assessment sound consistent with what you guys see - notable the POI shift and lots of blowback?

Originally Posted By nihilsum:
You realize that everyone is just going to post what they own and most do not have a large sample size?

That being said:

Consistency, best to worst:
Surefire SOCOM RC
Gemtech G5
Allen AEM5

(the allen also has some hot/cold shift)

POI Shift, best to worst:
Surefire SOCOM RC <1 MOA to 1.5 MOA
Gemtech G5 1.5 to 4 MOA
Allen AEM5 6 to 8 MOA

(POI shift varies by rifle, averages shown, groups at 100Y. SOCOM and G5 have each been checked on more than 3 rifles)

For fun:

Back pressure/gas blockback, best to worst:
Surefire SOCOM RC
Gemtech G5
Allen AEM5

Sound (to ears, not metered), best to worst:
Allen AEM5
Gemtech G5
Surefire SOCOM RC

To the firer, the Surefire is noticeably louder than the other two. The other factors, to me, outweigh this and I would keep it over the other two.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:50:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#33]
My 12th model shifts impact up 0.75 MOA.

My KAC NT4 shifts impact up and left 1.25 MOA.

Blowback doesn't bother me, but there is noticeably less blowback with the 12th model

Consistency is no noticeable change

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Does the following assessment sound consistent with what you guys see - notable the POI shift and lots of blowback?

View All Quotes

You realize that everyone is just going to post what they own and most do not have a large sample size?

That being said:

Surefire SOCOM RC
Gemtech G5
Allen AEM5

Gemtech G5 1.5 to 4 MOA
Allen AEM5 6 to 8 MOA

(POI shift varies by rifle, averages shown, groups at 100Y. SOCOM and G5 have each been checked on more than 3 rifles)

For fun:

Surefire SOCOM RC
Gemtech G5
Allen AEM5

Allen AEM5
Gemtech G5
Surefire SOCOM RC

To the firer, the Surefire is noticeably louder than the other two. The other factors, to me, outweigh this and I would keep it over the other two.

It might be that he only tested the AEM5 on one barrel that wasn't concentric. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that if the AEM5 suppresses more it would have more blow back. Wouldn't an AEM3 be closer to the size of the others?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

That being said:

Surefire SOCOM RC
Gemtech G5
Allen AEM5

Gemtech G5 1.5 to 4 MOA
Allen AEM5 6 to 8 MOA

For fun:

Surefire SOCOM RC
Gemtech G5
Allen AEM5

Allen AEM5
Gemtech G5
Surefire SOCOM RC

POI shift is related much more to the barrel than the can IMO. I would say the same is true for blowbacl with the barrel, gas block; and buffer being used.

I get no discernable POI shift or GTF in a 16" Wilson bbl with Adcod profile to accept the collar, H2 buffer, cut down FSB, and no gas buster. Same is true for my Mk 12 with WOA bbl, rifle buffer, Badger gas block, and gas buster.

I did have both barrels checked for concentricity which is the only commonality besides the can itself.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:41:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nihilsum] [#36]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

POI shift is related much more to the barrel than the can IMO. I would say the same is true for blowbacl with the barrel, gas block; and buffer being used.

I get no discernable POI shift or GTF in a 16" Wilson bbl with Adcod profile to accept the collar, H2 buffer, cut down FSB, and no gas buster. Same is true for my Mk 12 with WOA bbl, rifle buffer, Badger gas block, and gas buster.

I did have both barrels checked for concentricity which is the only commonality besides the can itself.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

SNIP

Might as well step in because I am also interested in this discussion. I have no hatred for the AEM- once it is warmed up and settled in, I love it. Can't beat the sound.

As I started to discuss later in the quoted thread, I think tolerance stacking is more likely the culprit than the suppressor itself in that it engages both the muzzle device and a collar as opposed to just hanging off the muzzle device.

Rifle barrel is an 18" douglas MK12/SPR with an allen brake and badger long collar with badger MK12/MK18 gas block. Rifle Buffer.

The G5 was used on the same rifle before I owned the AEM. IIRC the POI shift was around 2 MOA and there was no hot/cold shift.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Same AE30 I've had for a while. Guess I'll whore it out again on the ECC clone I'm working on.

" />
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:15:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: k31user] [#38]
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:56:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nihilsum] [#39]
Originally Posted By k31user:
It's always disappointing to hear about 6-8 MOA point of impact shift in a forum instead of being contacted directly. Way too much shift unless you have a 30" pencil thin barrel in a plastic stock. You guys know how to get in contact with me. Don't hesitate to call with problems.
RonA
View Quote

Ron,

I apologize and did not intend to cause any trouble. I posted with no negative intent in response to a question and did not consider the impact to concerned businesses. I assumed it was normal and will contact you via other means if it is not.

[Edit] it does have a plastic stock:

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By EODcrawler:

Same AE30 I've had for a while. Guess I'll whore it out again on the ECC clone I'm working on.

http://<a href=http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u444/EODcrawler/aerharh_zpspfxtojxx.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

What receivers did you decide to use?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Ron,

I apologize and did not intend to cause any trouble. I posted with no negative intent in response to a question and did not consider the impact to concerned businesses. I assumed it was normal and will contact you via other means if it is not.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/nihilsum/media/IMG_0756_zpswrdb9wnb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/nihilsum/IMG_0756_zpswrdb9wnb.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By k31user:
It's always disappointing to hear about 6-8 MOA point of impact shift in a forum instead of being contacted directly. Way too much shift unless you have a 30" pencil thin barrel in a plastic stock. You guys know how to get in contact with me. Don't hesitate to call with problems.
RonA

Ron,

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/nihilsum/media/IMG_0756_zpswrdb9wnb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/nihilsum/IMG_0756_zpswrdb9wnb.jpg</a>

I had a 3" downward shift with the can.  I removed the old ops flashhider that I may have overtorqued, scrubbed the old rockset off the threads thouroughly, and installed the brake  it came with plus a new crushwasher, just enough to time the brake, no rockset and now I have no impact shift at all.  Its so perfect ill never mess with it again even though id rather have a flash hider.

Im not sure what exactly fixed what but its capable of 1 moa with 75g prvi ammo, I have a lot of confidence with my mk12 with and without the can now.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

http://<a href=http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u444/EODcrawler/aerharh_zpspfxtojxx.jpg</a>" />

Building it on a set of Genesis CNC receivers. Still have to finish the lower.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Roger that. I settled on a DPMS lower and filled the trades in with JB Weld; upper is a CMMG. They look really good together. I'll be using an Criterion M110 barrel cut down to 16" and a Badger gas block; everything else will be Knight's.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:31:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EODcrawler] [#44]

Roger that. I settled on a DPMS lower and filled the trades in with JB Weld; upper is a CMMG. They look really good together. I'll be using an Criterion M110 barrel cut down to 16" and a Badger gas block; everything else will be Knight's.
View All Quotes

I'm really ready to finish this build, it's taken long enough. Getting the lower finished is becoming a headache. I found a finished lower that would compliment this build well and if I run into any other issues, I'm going to pick it up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#45]

I'm really ready to finish this build, it's taken long enough. Getting the lower finished is becoming a headache. I found a finished lower that would compliment this build well and if I run into any other issues, I'm going to pick it up.

View All Quotes

Yeah I know the feeling; I just started mine and I'm already dying to finish it. Was thinking about setting it up for an AE can but I think the SDN-6 is the best call.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd honestly love to be waiting on a KAC can for this, but I can't swing that right now. I spoke to Ron a while back about making a new can. I asked about getting a shorter AE-30 made but they said they would have to redesign the baffle stack to shorten it. Just an inquiry but as good as Ron is about customer service, I may pursue it a little more next year.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:30:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Why not bore out an AEM2 or 3?

Unless you specifically do not want a muzzle break.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:47:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EODcrawler] [#48]

View Quote

Not opposed to a muzzle brake at all. I have one on every other rifle I own. Just that I have 4 guns, (3 calibers) that are already contoured for the AE-30 and don't want to redo everything. The AEM5-30 came out about two weeks after my AE-30 Form 4 was approved. Had it been out earlier I would have preferred to get it instead.

Think of an AE-30 that was about 6.5" overall length, so it only added about 4" in length. Just enough to take the bark out of 308 and still plenty for 300blk subs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Well for me, there won't be enough room for the can to index on. I'm chopping a 20" barrel back to 16" so I get rifle-length gas. Plus, I don't think the M2 or M3 would provide sufficient suppression. As much as I want to go with an AE can, the SDN-6 gives me what I need.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top