Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2015 12:51:50 PM EDT
Are they loud with the ejection port close to the ear?  Gas to the face?  I get no gas back on my ARs with my specwar but might consider a trek on an Aug.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Are they loud with the ejection port close to the ear?  Gas to the face?  I get no gas back on my ARs with my specwar but might consider a trek on an Aug.  Thanks.
View Quote
My MSAR gassed hard. Not to mention the big black ring on my shoulder where gas was escaping the butplate

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
That is what I was wondering, thanks.  Plus, I forgot about the metric, LH threads.  Oh well, that just saved my a bunch of money.  Found a used A3, great condition for $1400, but not interested in shooting in unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a Socom SB on a factory 14" barrel. I don't get gas in the face.

https://youtu.be/zh_ncS0fCSY
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's a Socom SB on a factory 14" barrel. I don't get gas in the face.

https://youtu.be/zh_ncS0fCSY
View Quote

Where did you find the Socom AUG mount?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I looked forever for a muzzle device long enough to pin and weld without much luck. Marvin Pitts was going to make me a custom piece based on the Wilson Combat flash hider. Then, I stumbled on a legacy flash hider for a MP7. It was long enough and the thread pitch small enough that it could be repurposed. Marvin re threaded it and pinned and welded it. The SOCOM SB fits and functions fine, but doesn't index as the legacy mount lacks the index tab at the base.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#7]
My Tavor with 556SD gets a lot of gas to my face. Almost unpleasant where I don't even like it suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Both are piston guns which vent gases from the gas port directly into the atmosphere at the gas block. Both will be between 5 and 10 dB louder (both at the reference location and shooter's left ear) than the same suppressor on the same barrel length using a direct impingement gas system or bolt action.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both are piston guns which vent gases from the gas port directly into the atmosphere at the gas block. Both will be between 5 and 10 dB louder (both at the reference location and shooter's left ear) than the same suppressor on the same barrel length using a direct impingement gas system or bolt action.

While I cant speak to the Tavor since I don't have one.  The AUGs vent out a lot of high pressure gas from the gas block which I assume is going to be really loud even with a suppressor attached.

The only way I could see effectively suppressing an AUG is to run it in the grenade launch setting on the block which prevents any gas escape from the gas system to the atmosphere.  Granted the gun is going to be single shot at that point but it would be an option for a single silent shot (for hunting, etc.)

I believe ratworx was working on a dedicated AUG suppressor that essentially encapsulated the gas block/regulator to allow the gas that is vented out from the block to stay inside the suppressor envelope.   Not sure if they ever dialed it in and got all the bugs out or not.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#9]
My MSAR is a lot louder for the shooter due to the ejection port right under the ear. To a bystander it is slightly louder than a DI. Still effective though. Make sure you set the block to suppressed setting or you'll way over gas and beat up your internals needlessly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#10]
My Aug with SDN-6 shoots lots of crap out the ejection port. It's fun and compact, though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#11]
My brother owns both. With his AAC Mini-4 on the Tavor, it is very nice to shoot. Quiet enough without ear pro, very little gas to the face, overall a very good suppressor host. As for the Aug, terrible!! Loud as hell, both with a Mini-4 and with an SDN-6. Not a good suppressor host, with most of the noise coming from the gas port I suspect.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#12]

I run a saker and soon a saker k on my Tavor.  It is pretty pleasant to shoot.  There is probably a bit more noise at the port, but not enough I can claim to notice. I don't notice any extra gas to the face,

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like I will just stay with my DI ARs then.  I finally got my 11.5" SBR out with a Specwar 556 on it, it was fun to shoot.  Made my teeth rattle w/o it and just a brake under the tin roof at the range.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#14]
this will take care of it on tavor,  works good

Gear Head Works FLEx Swivel - Ejection Port Cover for the IWI Tavor

http://www.bullpuparmory.com/Bullpup_Armory_GHW_FLEx_p/ghw-flex-tav.htm
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I love mine.

Had to drill out the 'adverse' port of the gas regulator in order to get it to cycle properly. Before that, when I had it set to normal, it was running the bolt too fast. Now it runs just fine. It's a pig though, 11lbs unloaded w/ the can mounted.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#16]
tell me more about this drilling of the gas port on the AUG?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My Tavor with 556SD gets a lot of gas to my face. Almost unpleasant where I don't even like it suppressed.
View Quote

Get one of the better gas port covers by MI or Gearhead. Makes a big difference.

I LOVE my Tavor suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
tell me more about this drilling of the gas port on the AUG?
View Quote

The gas regulator, actually. It's kind of backwards to think about, since on ARs, we're used to smaller gas ports to let less gas INTO the action. On the AUG it's the opposite. The vent holes let gas OUT of the action.

So what I did, since I will never use the adverse (smaller hole, to let more gas into the action and cycle harder) setting was drill it out so that I could have a suppressed setting. I was having trouble with the bolt running too fast and causing stovepipes and the like, and posted about it on Lightfighter. An Austrian military guy posted that new production military AUGs don't have an adverse setting anymore, they have a suppressed setting with a bigger hole. From his measurements, the normal gas hole is .072" and the suppressed use(larger) gas hole is .101". So I used a .107" drill bit (closest thing I had to that size), drilled it out with a drill press, and ran with it.

Funny thing is, it works fine even unsuppressed on the suppressed setting.

Ugly? Sure is. But since the drilled portion is on the inside, you can't see it anyways.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#19]
My Tavor With SOCOM RC is pleasant. No issues.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Tavor with AAC M4-2000 suppressor and no issues / no surprises.
Runs fine and much more pleasant to shoot suppressed.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#21]
How dirty do the Tavor internals get with suppressed fire?

Just seems like it'd be harder to access all the places in the internals compared to an AR15.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top