Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2015 1:51:43 PM EDT
Is the Silent Capture buffer spring system only really beneficial for something as quiet as a sub-sonic .300 BO?  Do any of you run this with a 5.56 or 7.62 can and see any benefit in terms of actual or perceived sound abatement?

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I never hear my spring on my 5.56mm SBR or other designed rifles. YMMV

Ejection port noise will always be louder than a spring compressing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Its not worth the money...but it does make a difference. i shoot my suppressed 12" 5.56 SBR with a JPSCS and it has no sproing or buffer rattle at all. I put my conventional buffer/spring pistol lower on the same suppressed upper and it is noisy in comparison.  This is back to back though
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
My buddy had one. Cool and all but maybe for $50
not $130 or whatever they cost
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one in all three of AR-15s, all in 5.56. Only two of those rifles are suppressed, but I love the feel of the recoil / smoothness of the action that the JP-SCS imparts. Yes, they're expensive. But they're awesome. It was worth it for me, you have to decide if it's worth it for you. I recommend the heavy (tungsten) version.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
there's a lot of things I would get before that. I watcched a few videos on it and the sound difference is barely noticeable. I'd agree that for $50 it may not be that bad, but not worth $130 thats for sure.

If you watnt quiet, get an adjustable gas block and turn it all the way off so your rifle doesnt cycle. Cheaper and will be as quiet as a a suppressed bolt action.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#6]
So if the only real benefit is a smoother action with a little less felt recoil, I could just slap in a $35 spikes ST-T2 heavy buffer and call it a day?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I watcched a few videos on it and the sound difference is barely noticeable. I'd agree that for $50 it may not be that bad, but not worth $130 thats for sure.
View Quote

You watched a video to determine the sound difference?  Do you also pick your suppressors based on youtube sound differences?

I own 2 rifles with silent capture buffers, a 300 blk sbr and a 9mm sbr.  Shooting subsonic suppressed i would say it makes a big difference.  But maybe im just more sensitive to the spring noise.  If you can afford it, then give one a try.  If you don't like it someone will take it off your hands on the EE.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
there's a lot of things I would get before that. I watcched a few videos on it and the sound difference is barely noticeable. I'd agree that for $50 it may not be that bad, but not worth $130 thats for sure.

If you watnt quiet, get an adjustable gas block and turn it all the way off so your rifle doesnt cycle. Cheaper and will be as quiet as a a suppressed bolt action.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The JP-SCS isn't about making the rifle quieter overall, it's about making the action noise quieter for the shooter whose face is against the stock. It makes a huge difference in that regard.

Quoted:
So if the only real benefit is a smoother action with a little less felt recoil, I could just slap in a $35 spikes ST-T2 heavy buffer and call it a day?

You could use any buffer you want, but the JP-SCS is on a completely different level than an ST-T2.

I've used carbine, H, H2, H3, ST-T2, 9mm, rifle, and the JP-SCS buffers in both light and heavy flavors. The JP-SCS is unequaled, just expensive. However, your rifle will be the cheapest expense when it comes to shooting. The cost of ammo will dwarf everything else; the difference between a $35 buffer and a $145 buffer will be irrelevant by comparison.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have one in all three of AR-15s, all in 5.56. Only two of those rifles are suppressed, but I love the feel of the recoil / smoothness of the action that the JP-SCS imparts. Yes, they're expensive. But they're awesome. It was worth it for me, you have to decide if it's worth it for you. I recommend the heavy (tungsten) version.
View Quote

It does make for a smoother noticeably  more quiet action. I wasn't aware they had a titanium version of the JP  SCS.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:59:34 AM EDT
[#10]
My M&P15 with the factory carbine buffer had a very loud "sproing!" out of the box. I replaced it with an ST-T2, and not only did the noise go away, but my ejection pattern changed from 4 o'clock to 2 o'clock. Zero change to reliability.

Buddy of mine has an Enidine buffer. I don't notice a difference when shooting his rifle vs. mine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Totally agree. Well worth the money. Personally Cost does not matter much with my rifles I just want parts that work well and work as intended.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My M&P15 with the factory carbine buffer had a very loud "sproing!" out of the box. I replaced it with an ST-T2, and not only did the noise go away, but my ejection pattern changed from 4 o'clock to 2 o'clock. Zero change to reliability.

Buddy of mine has an Enidine buffer. I don't notice a difference when shooting his rifle vs. mine.
View Quote

Same thing on my build with the ejection pattern. It shifted but no reliability issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top