Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2015 9:29:28 PM EDT
I currently own a surefire FA556-212 for my ar's but am looking to get a 22lr can.  Whats the best can on the market rite now for 22's?  I purchased a S&W AR15-22 for the kit and would like a good can for it an possibily a 22 pistol in the future.  What is your recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no best can.

If you can define your parameters (size, weight, cost, cleanability, dB reduction) then we can steer you towards something that would fit your needs.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't want to be a dick but Jesus, read the first two pages of threads and then come back with a more pointed question
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I just purchased a Silencer Co Spectre II.  So I am just getting everything started.

I was between the Silencer Co Spectre II and the SS Sparrow.  I chose the Spectre II for the reduced FRP, multi caliber,  SS baffles and 1" diameter for use with hard holsters on my Ruger MKIII LITE.

Spectre II
-Little FRP (First Round Pop)
-Stainless Steel K baffles
-K baffles are sealed in themselves, making disassembly easy - no caking on the inside walls of the suppressor body.
-1" diameter (fits holsters for Ruger Bull/LITE barrels)
-6" length
-Multi-caliber rated
-Per Silencer Co websites, it has some of the best suppression available.

SS Sparrow
-Mono core design (unfortunately this means louder FRP)
-SS
-Shorter than the Spectre II 5"
-Slightly thicker than the Spectre II 1.06"
-.3 oz lighter than Spectre II
-Sparrow is about $90 more expensive.

My understanding is that FRP is significant mostly in pistols with the Sparrow.  Using the Sparrow or Spectre II on rifle have minimal difference in FRP.  So depends on what your needs/wants are.

SS baffles allow you to use an ultrasonic cleaner.  You can not use ultrasonic cleaners with aluminum, which most .22 suppressor baffles are made of, either 6000 or 7000 series Al.  You sacrifice weight unfortunately.  Only a few companies offer the SS baffles.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no best can.

If you can define your parameters (size, weight, cost, cleanability, dB reduction) then we can steer you towards something that would fit your needs.

View Quote

Sorry, I should have worded my question a bit better...   I would prefer smaller and lighter as that would be more ideal for a pistol, ease of cleaning would be great as I hate cleaning guns LOL - and 22lr is pretty dirty anyway, cost is not much of a factor considering its basically a life-long investment with the 200.00 tax stamp so I would rather buy once - Cry once....
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just purchased a Silencer Co Spectre II.  So I am just getting everything started.

I was between the Silencer Co Spectre II and the SS Sparrow.  I chose the Spectre II for the reduced FRP, multi caliber,  SS baffles and 1" diameter for use with hard holsters on my Ruger MKIII LITE.

Spectre II
-K baffles are sealed in themselves, making disassembly easy - no caking on the inside walls of the suppressor body.
-6" length
-Multi-caliber rated

SS Sparrow
-SS

My understanding is that FRP is significant mostly in pistols with the Sparrow.  Using the Sparrow or Spectre II on rifle have minimal difference in FRP.  So depends on what your needs/wants are.

SS baffles allow you to use an ultrasonic cleaner.  You can not use ultrasonic cleaners with aluminum, which most .22 suppressor baffles are made of, either 6000 or 7000 series Al.  You sacrifice weight unfortunately.  Only a few companies offer the SS baffles.

View Quote

Thank you for the reply, I will research both of these.  FRP is low on my priority list, cleaning sounds easier with the stainless though.  Is cleaning a 22 can very time consuming?  My 223 can and 30 cal can are both "maintenance free" and I have never had experience with a 22 can.  Does the carbon cake on there any worse than cleaning an ar with a few thousand rounds between cleaning?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sorry, I should have worded my question a bit better...   I would prefer smaller and lighter as that would be more ideal for a pistol, ease of cleaning would be great as I hate cleaning guns LOL - and 22lr is pretty dirty anyway, cost is not much of a factor considering its basically a life-long investment with the 200.00 tax stamp so I would rather buy once - Cry once....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no best can.

Then go for the Element 2.

It has no first round pop, all are shots are equal in db reduction, still easy to take apart, and is probably the quietest 22 can out on the market while weighing only 4 ounces because its titanium. The downside, is its the most expensive, at roughly $450. The best bang for your buck is the Spectre II though.

problem solved. your welcome

ETA: Sparrow has a pretty big FRP. That can be a deal breaker when trying to impress someone.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Pilot 2 and a Sparrow SS.  If I could only have one it would be the Sparrow hands down.

22 cans aren't heavy per say.  
Sparrow feels like it was maid with durability in mind.
FRP is just a little louder than the rest of the shots it's still quieter than unsuppressed.
There isn't a can that’s going to be MUCH quieter than another similar can period.
The Sparrow is not over priced it's worth every penny
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no best can.

Element 2 for lightweight and a pistol host.
Other light weight cans are the GM-22 ( i have on pending), and warlock from SiCO
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It has no first round pop, all are shots are equal in db reduction, still easy to take apart, and is probably the quietest 22 can out on the market while weighing only 4 ounces because its titanium. The downside, is its the most expensive, at roughly $450. The best bang for your buck is the Spectre II though.

ETA: Sparrow has a pretty big FRP. That can be a deal breaker when trying to impress someone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no best can.

This is accurate. My sparrow has worse frp than my element2. However, the element is not anywhere near as easy to take apart as the sparrow. Only gets to be a pain when you go a lot of rounds without cleaning.

Oh, and the sparrow is significantly heavier than the element.

Might take a look at the surefire Ryder. If I was looking for a rim fire can right now, that might be what I'd do. In fact, that doesn't sound like a bad idea... Enclosed, pig nosed k-baffle? Sexy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone here have experience with the surefire ryder?  I
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:42:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
whats the deal on the Surefire Ryder 22? is it any good? is it even for sale yet? where does it relate in comparison to other 22's like the spectre II or the element 2?

"Haven't seen too many reviews. A self proclaimed "Surefire fanboy" gave a small review on here. He didn't give it high marks."

whatever, fuck these quote blocks.
Not my quote, from the 34 page deal thread
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:44:28 AM EDT
[#12]
dsgarms has the surefire in stock
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Warlock, Outback IID, Eco-22, Pilot2, Element, Ryder all meet those.

I myself would go for something in the $200 range, as there is no need to spend $500 or more to get a good 22LR can. Those days are over.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:05:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Stainless baffles are your friend. I have a pilot 2 that has aluminum baffles, sucks when my buddies toss their baffles in dip and start drinking while I'm scrubbing baffles with a toothbrush for 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:46:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Spectre II
-6" length
-Multi-caliber rated

SS Sparrow
-SS

View Quote

First round pop is really made out as much more of an issue than it is. The first shot is ever so slightly louder than the rest. That's it. It's not as though the first shot is LOUD. And the Sparrow is multi-caliber as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Sparrow and love it. Cleaning is very easy with an ultrasonic, and the FRP is not as bad as most would have you believe. It is noticeable on a pistol, but not terrible, and virtually nonexistent on a rifle. The suppressor is well built and I expect it to last a long time with proper maintenance. Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#17]
If cost is no real object, the Element 2 is clear winner for OP's needs. Extraordinarily quiet on a pistol, very durable, no FRP, yet very lightweight compared to the competition with similar construction (approx. 30% lighter than a Sparrow or Spectre II). The only problem is its MSRP, but you can find it for much less if you look around. They were available for $350 and less on Gunbroker recently.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#18]
best all around can for everything hands down is the Silencerco Spectre II. Easy to clean, durable, stupid quiet, versatile, everything you want.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Like the Sparrow.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I have two .22 suppressors, a Sparrow and a Spectre II. Both great suppressors.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

First round pop is really made out as much more of an issue than it is. The first shot is ever so slightly louder than the rest. That's it. It's not as though the first shot is LOUD. And the Sparrow is multi-caliber as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spectre II
-6" length
-Multi-caliber rated

SS Sparrow
-SS

The difference in FRP was not the only criteria that sold me on the Spectre II.  As previously stated, I had a multitude of parameters I was seeking.  The Spectre II also has a 1.00" diameter body which will allow easy re-holstering of my Ruger MKIII LITE, with a suppresser, in a hard holster.  I made it clear that I was seeking something specific and the summary of both suppressors.  Both had their pros and cons, the Spectre just suited my wants.  The suppressor was also primarily going to stay on the MKIII.  But I have the option to throw it on my AR22 and 17hmr rifle.

Everyone has to make their own decision on what is important for them.  I just tried to lay out the basic features of both.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Not knocking your choice, I own the same suppressor and love it. Was just commenting and clarifying on the Sparrow being multi-caliber, and on FRP.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:36:30 AM EDT
[#23]
very happy with my spectre 2
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#24]
It's new so there aren't really any reviews I've seen of it yet, but Dave from Liberty has boasted about some pretty insane decibels on their new Regulator.  On NFATalk he said they got a reading of less than 110 decibels.   It's also lighter than the Kodiak TL.  I bought a Kodiak TL (still waiting on the stamp) and of course the Regulator came out a week or two after...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's new so there aren't really any reviews I've seen of it yet, but Dave from Liberty has boasted about some pretty insane decibels on their new Regulator.  On NFATalk he said they got a reading of less than 110 decibels.   It's also lighter than the Kodiak TL.  I bought a Kodiak TL (still waiting on the stamp) and of course the Regulator came out a week or two after...
View Quote

I saw that its a mono-core can. I wonder how close the first shot was to 110db.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#26]
For the price the Spectre ll cant be beat I think.  That's why I own one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have it, it's awesome.  I wanted a lightweight can that performs great, would last, and was built by a reputable manufacturer.  I am going to get a second Ryder 22.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought a Liberty Essence complete titanium can in late 2011.  It came highly recommended by Arfcom at the time.  It was my first suppressor and I had never even seen a legal suppressor in my life so I went with the buy once cry once philosophy it was $650 but I got a 10% L.E. discount so it came to $585 plus transfer and tax so it was $835 OTD. I love it even though it does have a small amount of FRP. I guess technology has gotten a little better and cheaper, but I will say it is extremely light and giggle quiet on the range. I have shot it in my back yard and my next door neighbor 50 feet away inside his house didn't even know I was shooting.

If I had it to do over I may have gone with a cheaper can now that I have seen some other models in action, but I don't regret getting the best available at the time because I had no frame of reference and if a cheaper can didn't live up to my expectations I would have been stuck buying another can and waiting for another stamp to clear for what I should have gotten in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Spectre II
-6" length
-Multi-caliber rated

View Quote

This post nails it.  I love my Spectre II.  As mentioned, no FRP that I have experienced.  Very quiet, easy to disassemble, and if it weighs more than some competitors I can't tell it or don't care.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top