Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2015 11:32:49 AM EDT
Back in December of 2013 I got the NFA bug as a side effect of my BRD.  My trust was set up and I SBR'd two lowers and purchased a AAC EVO-9, a YHM Phantom M2 5.56, and a Gem-Tech HVT-QM.  I love them all and am already planning my next can in 22LR.  My first trip out I melted my glove while checking to make sure the suppressor was still tight.  So I bought an oven mitt to handle the suppressors while hot.  It turns out that these things get hotter than a casserole in the oven, and will melt an over mitt as well.  What are you guys using to handle your hot cans?

Pictures for fun, the 300BLK and Gem-Tech did not make this range trip:

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't mess with it. Just set it down and shoot something else for a bit.

Get a glove we used for pulling clay out of the oven.

http://www.newtex.com/nxp/gloves-mitts/zetexplus-200-series
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NFPJ7ZQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I determine how hot it is before I touch it. Then I use an oven mit from walmart when it is < 400F
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#3]
If your YHM can is a QD can, and the mount is torqued on, it's not going to come loose...

Stop being so impatient and just let it cool.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a pair of welders gloves they are cheap.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I've grown to enjoy the feeling of glazed fingertips
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I know some people use gloves or materials designed for machine gun barrel swaps, but I personally just have an oven mitt that I use after the gun has had time to cool. If it's hot enough to melt an oven mitt it's probably too hot to set most places other than on the gun anyway.

Also I have heard that tightening cans when everything is hot can also cause them to become stuck since the metal systems involved are changing under heat.  Best to save any tightening for when they are cooled off. And as someone else mentioned, if the rifle cans are QD, as long as the mount is mounted properly to the barrel, they won't come off.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I did the same thing OP the first mag through my Saker.  It got that worn look real quick.  I have since bought a pair of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RUBZNDQ
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Those high temp gloves are a good suggestion, thanks for that.  But from what a lot of you are saying it seems that I should not be handling it at all.  I was under the impression that I should be checking the suppressor every few mags to ensure that everything is tight.  I am terrified of a baffle strike considering how much these things cost and how long it takes to get them approved.

The YHM is the QD racketing model and moves between the SBR and a 20" rifle.
The AAC stays on the Glock for now, when I wear the wife down enough I am going to get a QC10 lower and SBR it as well so it will move around until I can get another 9mm can.
The Gem-Tech moves between the 300BLK and my Armalite AR-10.

In that picture that had both already cooled down before I put them on the hood of the side by side.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I just use a griffon cover for mine
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those high temp gloves are a good suggestion, thanks for that.  But from what a lot of you are saying it seems that I should not be handling it at all.  I was under the impression that I should be checking the suppressor every few mags to ensure that everything is tight.  I am terrified of a baffle strike considering how much these things cost and how long it takes to get them approved.

The YHM is the QD racketing model and moves between the SBR and a 20" rifle.
The AAC stays on the Glock for now, when I wear the wife down enough I am going to get a QC10 lower and SBR it as well so it will move around until I can get another 9mm can.
The Gem-Tech moves between the 300BLK and my Armalite AR-10.

In that picture that had both already cooled down before I put them on the hood of the side by side.
View Quote

Yeah you're good on the YHM then. It won't come loose, and even if it did I think they have videos demoing the fact that their mount keeps the suppressor straight even if not fully tightened down. On the pistol can you probably should check every few mags, but they typically don't get as hot as a can on a semi auto rifle so I would think an oven mitt would work fine. It is terrifying to think about a bullet screaming through that little opening in your investment, but as long as your threads are concentric and the ammo is stable you're most of the way there and even a slightly loose suppressor won't necessarily mean a baffle strike.

And going back to what I said earlier and the YHM, I'll have to check my manual on my LT again but I think even YHM specifically says don't tighten their QD mounts once hot. If it clicks over one more than when it was cold you may have just turned your AR into an integrally suppressed system that only a heck of a lot of torque (or heat) can fix. Twist it on snug, shoot to your hearts content, let cool then twist off. That's all you need to do for the YHM QD mounts.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the advice, especially you andrevski762.  I feel a bit better about the YHM now, I will let it run and maybe every few mags give it a shake to see if it is still tight.  No need to touch it.

I will back off of touching the AAC a bit but it never got hot like the YHM in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, this is what I use.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a bowers group Griptastic on my YHM QD 556 after i was melting everything around.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep, this is what I use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, this is what I use.

This.  I have never had my YHM back off.  I have ran several hundred rounds in a range trip and it was still locked up tight.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I picked up at a gun/surplus show a pair of machine gun barrel mittens.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Ove Glove!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#17]
S/S sent me a cool little suppressor "hot pad thingy" cant wait till i can use it
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
S/S sent me a cool little suppressor "hot pad thingy" cant wait till i can use it
View Quote

Is that sarcasm?

Someone posted a Thread a few months ago about it providing no protection and they dropped their can when they grabbed it.
Good luck
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I use the silicone pot holders from WallyWorld; they come in lime green, red, blue, and tactical black.
I will also slip a s/s thermos from Academy over the hot can when I set it down so I don't a) get burned, b) melt something (either onto the can or vehicle fabric or plastic).
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is that sarcasm?

Someone posted a Thread a few months ago about it providing no protection and they dropped their can when they grabbed it.
Good luck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that sarcasm?

Good luck

Mine provides plenty of protection as long as the suppressor isn't ridiculously hot. They're just oven mitts that silencer shop has had branded. I use mine to store my YHM LT by wrapping it up in it and sticking it in a double M16 mag pouch. Much of this is (not always I guess) common sense. As the OP put it, if your suppressor is about as hot as a casserole in the oven then you can use an oven mitt. But suppressors can get WAY hotter than that (and not look it) very quickly, at which point why remove it anyway?  You can't stick it in a nylon pouch or set it on your nylon bag, just leave it on the gun with the gun propped up by its handguard or laying on some dirt/gravel/concrete until it's oven-mitt-safe.

The fallacy I guess people aren't getting is that just because something is made to handle hot items doesn't mean it won't fail spectacularly when handling REALLY hot items. Maybe Silencer Shop should send out thermometers instead...
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Plan to pick a couple up soon.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://cdn3.volusion.com/qntjl.mveek/v/vspfiles/photos/GI-Suppressor-HMMS-01-2T.jpg

These are a bad idea if you are shooting a lot of rounds. They hold the heat in and will increase the wear on your can.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a bowers suppressor cover for mine.

Best advantage, you aren't going to accidentally wipe skin off something by bumping it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

These are a bad idea if you are shooting a lot of rounds. They hold the heat in and will increase the wear on your can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn3.volusion.com/qntjl.mveek/v/vspfiles/photos/GI-Suppressor-HMMS-01-2T.jpg

Well see,

I have had no issues using mine. Going to a class this weekend and will be using it so
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well see,

I have had no issues using mine. Going to a class this weekend and will be using it so
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well see,

Give us an AAR after your class. I planned on picking up one of these covers for the same purpose.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nomex or Asbestos.......

Welding gloves are a bad idea too.  If you really get your can hot, the leather will burn.  My leather gloves I use to set up steel targets now have flat spots on them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Well see,

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well see,

If you are just trying to protect your hands get spare barrel bag to put them in and a pair of ove gloves. Suppressor wraps insulate your can and keep the heat in. Which is fine for slow courses of fire and precision work but not for a heavy course of fire. The hotter your baffles the faster they will erode.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Hot gun glove. Used for changing out hot mg barrels during training. Oh, yeah, you bet they work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well see,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well see,

No probs with bowers cover on 762sd. On full auto. Not going crazy with it though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I have never been a big fan of their other stuff but I had the wife get me one of the Pampered Chef white terry cloth oven mitts while she was a consultant.  Usually I just let it cool down first but if I am in a hurry the glove works well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you are just trying to protect your hands get spare barrel bag to put them in and a pair of ove gloves. Suppressor wraps insulate your can and keep the heat in. Which is fine for slow courses of fire and precision work but not for a heavy course of fire. The hotter your baffles the faster they will erode.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well see,

Im not worried about my hands as much, just one of the benefits. Its much less of a concern. However I noticed a substantial accuracy increase due to the cover eliminating the mirage. I literally chased this accuracy issue for about a year now and never considered how a slight mirage can change POI quite a bit. Bought the cover and surprisingly my groups shrank back down to what I was use to. Interesting little note, I don't recall my 12.5 experiencing this problem like my 10.5 did.

My groups literally opened up a few inches with random fliers due to it.

I see what you are saying, but I have a real hard time believing a simple cover will do any noticeable increase in wear to the suppressor when compared to the harsh blast of unburnt powder being blasted into the can.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#32]
is there a less expensive alternative to the griffon cover? $130
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bowers is cheaper, but is different. Seems like users like them however

I definitely based my purchase on looks as well as the good reviews I found for this one. Damn the griffons look good

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#34]
After a couple burns, I looked into the covers out there and just didn't like how bulky they were. I do motorcycle stuff for a living, so I fabricated a sleeve out of carbon fiber.

Works great for me and it still fits in the carry case.  Pure carbon fiber- stays cool and is light weight. I was considering making some to sell, if there is any interest. Can be made in custom lengths and various sizes.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I definitely based my purchase on looks as well as the good reviews I found for this one. Damn the griffons look good

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/2015-03-26%2012.36.22_zpsxonxbqmr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/2015-03-26%2012.36.22_zpsxonxbqmr.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/2015-03-26%2012.36.22_zpsxonxbqmr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/2015-03-26%2012.36.22_zpsxonxbqmr.jpg</a>

yeah, no offense, but I don't give 2 shits about looks

bowers is run/hosted by subguns.org, and after the way their goons have impugned nolocontendere and his machinegun lawsuit I wouldn't give anyone affiliated with them a dime
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

bowers is run/hosted by subguns.org, and after the way their goons have impugned nolocontendere and his machinegun lawsuit I wouldn't give anyone affiliated with them a dime
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

None taken. The Griffon works really well too, besides being sexy

Price is high IMHO. But it hasn't melted or anything so far and I dumped a few mags over the weekend to see how it would hold up. Im impressed with it. The high price must be associated with the material used under the wrap, as Griffon sells replacement nylon outers and their like ~20 bucks if I recall.

Makes switching hosts a lot easier as well
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Nomex or Asbestos.......

Welding gloves are a bad idea too.  If you really get your can hot, the leather will burn.  My leather gloves I use to set up steel targets now have flat spots on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nomex or Asbestos.......

No they are kevlar!

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#38]
keep in mind that suppressor covers are not in intended to be heat containers but mirage covers. they'll end up likely burning through due to the heat increase from semi auto
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#39]
My rifles all have their own can, so there's no swapping on/off while hot. The only reason for the cover would be to remove the can while hot and continue shooting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My rifles all have their own can, so there's no swapping on/off while hot. The only reason for the cover would be to remove the can while hot and continue shooting.
View Quote

Or mirage mitigation for use with magnified optics
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I did the same thing OP the first mag through my Saker.  It got that worn look real quick.  I have since bought a pair of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RUBZNDQ
View Quote

+1, these things are great
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Griffon cover performed great at my weekend class for those waiting to hear about it
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well see,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well see,

That's not what those are for.

They're to reduce mirage when you're shooting slowly from a bolt or semi precision rifle.

You don't want to shoot a lot of rounds with that on there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I bring ice cubes out.

It's fun putting ice on a can and hear it sizzle for a moment or two.  After a few seconds of ice it's cooled down enough to be handled without gloves.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They're to reduce mirage when you're shooting slowly from a bolt or semi precision rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well see,

Look up. Works fine. Plus I do not have mirage causing fliers now

Even did 2 mag dumps on a LEOs auto lower. No issues. Nothing melted
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Look up. Works fine. Plus I do not have mirage causing fliers now
Even did 2 mag dumps on a LEOs auto lower. No issues. Nothing melted
View Quote

No one said it wouldn't work. Of course it "works". I said you will reduce the lifespan of the can if you shoot a heavy course of fire with a mirage cover on. If the benefits outweigh the shorter life then go for it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top