Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2015 7:49:21 PM EDT
I put together a suppressed .300 BLK and running subs I'm just barely cycling the action and certainly not locking the bolt back. Is it common to have to drill the gas port in the barrel a little larger?
I'm using a CMMG barrel if that matters.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say it is a good trade off. If you drill it bigger, supers will be over gassed.

Which barrel?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd be examining other possible faults before I go to drilling
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would say it is a good trade off. If you drill it bigger, supers will be over gassed.

Which barrel?
View Quote
7.5", I've got the Guvnah so I can switch between subs and supers without sacrificing.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]
It seems I see more posts about opening up gas ports on CMMG barrels than others.  I say go for it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd be examining other possible faults before I go to drilling
View Quote

+1

Just make sure you rule out everything else before you monkey with your barrel.  A coworker's CMMG wasn't running well, and we almost drilled the gas port.  Thankfully, he suggested "measure twice, cut once" and we used vernier calipers to check the gas port location on his gas block vs the distance of the gas port from the barrel shoulder in front of the gas block journal.  Turns out the gas block had to be snug against the barrel shoulder to align properly.  Runs like a champ now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
7.5", I've got the Guvnah so I can switch between subs and supers without sacrificing.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which barrel?

Do you mean drilling a bigger hole in the restrictor plate then? Assuming they gave you a suppressed option on the plate, there's no way your barrel itself has a smaller hole than the restrictor plate on the Govnah. Plus you can buy new restrictor plates for pretty cheap if needed vs modifying the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
It could be just the pressure curve of you powder.  I have a pistol gas tube/Noveske 8.5" that will work with subs and 1680 supressed, but did not run with others.  It runs supers just fine too.

Drilling a gas port makes me cringe.  I know I would snap a drill bit...............

Give us details on your subs:  manufacturer, bullet weight, powder type/weight, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top