Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2015 7:18:28 PM EDT
I looked through the "All you ever wanted to know about suppressors," tacked thread and noticed that the main post hasn't been updated in a while.  Since the post there has been a few more states that have lifted the prohibition on suppressors.

The main reason why I am posting this as some people may know, Minnesota has allowed dealers to obtain suppressors for a couple years now, and we are currently trying to get the prohibition lifted.  That being said a bill has currently been introduced and we are having a hearing next week about it.  I am looking for current information and maps depicting actual data on which states allow an which states still do not.  Now my Google Fu has found some good maps, but most still show 11 states prohibiting them.  What sent me off course what I thought a saw information stating that two more states had recently lifted the prohibition on them, stating that there were only 9 states that still like loud guns.

I am looking for confirmation of this data so we can present this as well, or verifying that it is in fact false information.  If the information is in fact false, and its still 11 states that prohibit the private ownership, then I have plenty of maps showing this info.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
This might help...map at link and below:

http://www.silencerco.com/how-do-silencers-work/

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#3]
because 11 states don't allow ownership. Iowa has bill in the works. For the latest info, check out the American Suppressor Association's blog and they also keep an updated map that includes hunting related law in addition to simply ownership HERE.

You can think of the organization as: ASA is to silencers what the NRA is to guns (being simplistic but I'm sure you get the point. ASA and NRA have collaborated in increasing pro-silencer legislation lately).

Here's their latest map, as of today (march 7th, 2015):
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Doc,

That is the same exact map I have been using at gunshows to spread the word.    It does seem that I had found some bad information.  I thought I had seen something stating Vermont had legalized cans, but is looks like they have a bill in the works as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I wonder why they have Virginia's Eastern Shore as being "not legal"?  
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
This wiki article cites the relevant state legislation:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top