Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2015 5:49:46 PM EDT
Added a suppressor to my 18" SS WOA barrel (Gemtech Trek Ti).

I had anticipated it shooting LOW, that was not the case, it was 5-6" High. And this is from a rifle that was a tack driver.

Once I adjusted the scope, its back to being a tack driver, only quieter. lol

But does that seem odd that it was HIGH and not LOW when adding suppressor? No other changes were made to the AR, even the ammo was the same Hornady 75 gr BTHP.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
No, barrel harmonics could cause POI shift up, down, left, right or any combination of that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Fpni
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok. I figured it would just be low. It pulled a lil to the right but a couple clicks brought it back, was just surprised how HIGH it was.

Oh well, was fun to shoot. lol.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep:  cans will cause a POI shift.

The only questions are how much and in which direction.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It causes a noticeable downward poi on my AR's. And only about a 1/2 MOA shift up on my bolt gun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe the barrel concentricity of the threads just a little bit upwards?  Were you using the same rest that you use when you are firing them as you do when they are unsuppressed?  I don't know all of mine usually shoot low on their hosts and they are Ti as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#7]
My HVT QD causes a considerable shift on my M1a. I think it's been up as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Several factors come into play with cans and POI changes.
First the weight of the can makes the barrel sag a bit. This is why a lot of people see a downward drop in POI and happens more with light barrels than heavy.

Second the barrel harmonics change because the barrel is heavier with a can on it. This can shift POI in any direction.

Third, if the can has asymmetric baffles the uneven gas pressure as the bullet goes thru a baffle can push it off center slightly.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd add to this that you will generally see slightly higher velocities with the suppressor attached over the same barrel length with no suppressor. I've not heard of anyone doing a study as to why, but every chronograph comparison I've seen shows the increase.

The amateur engineer in me thinks that the suppressor acts as a longer barrel would in that it adds some (albeit reduced) acceleration pressure while still in the suppressor.

All things being equal, you would then expect it to be a little higher than when un-suppressed.

Just my 2 cents.  

SMS-ret
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The amateur engineer in me thinks that the suppressor acts as a longer barrel would in that it adds some (albeit reduced) acceleration pressure while still in the suppressor.

All things being equal, you would then expect it to be a little higher than when un-suppressed.

Just my 2 cents.  

SMS-ret
View Quote

I am a physicist and this is exactly what happens.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents.  

SMS-ret

Ok what about when you get a poi shift down?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Now you're talking gravity....

Sorry. Old Barney Miller episode.

Otherwise...

I got nothing...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top