Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad to see they put an end to this nonsense.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Without being allowed to check on status, my last form would have ended up rejected. I found that ATF had lost it despite my dealer returning it after correcting an error. I was able to get a replacement out to them ASAP. He doesn't have the time nor do I expect him to check on my forms for me and shit happens. I shouldn't even have to wait a minute at all.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:58:13 AM EDT
[#3]
lol... it's about time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:48:52 AM EDT
[#4]
It's neat to see the different perspectives on this
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:19:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never called. On that note; the ATF IS NOT doing anyone a favor here! They are paid well to regulate and tax items that should not be regulated in the first place, and are trying to regulate and strip our rights further, so please dispense with the "good for the ATF" bullshit! If someone wants to check their status no matter how in vain their effort is, put down your fucking Cheetos and answer the phone. We pay for this service. I hate when people act like the ATF is doing "us" a favor.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:26:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe if it weren't for all the needy baby greedy babies writing letters about sig braces and calling for status every week and crying incessantly about lead times NFA Branch might run a little smoother.

Lead times are the lowest they've been in 4 years. Stop crying.

Me personally I'd rather have the person that answers the phone rubber stamping forms instead.
View Quote

bingo
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
It was a nice service but I think I'll be able to live without it.  Some general thoughts about it:

1.  The distinction between "check cashed" and "pending" dates is stupid.  Start the clock when they cash your check.  No need to confirm it's "pending".

2.  Don't use a money order, and send stuff via registered mail or priority with tracking.  You'll know when it arrives, and your bank account will confirm the check hit.

3.  If the ATF was more transparent about wait times, people would be less inclined to call.

4.  People have probably abused the system.  People freak out when their e-form 1s go 45 days without approval in threads on this site.  I can only imagine how often anxious people might be calling about their stuff.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I only found about two of my F4's being approved by calling the ATF. The dealer didn't deem it necessary to give me a call, it was well over a month after they received the stamps that I found out
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Glad to see they put an end to this nonsense.  
View Quote

This. Have some damn patience. Stop holding up MY forms!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've never called, when it comes - it comes.  If their are errors, they send it back for corrections.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yup. Let them do their job and they will let you know when it's done. Quit bothering them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never called, when it comes - it comes.  If their are errors, they send it back for corrections.

Yup. Let them do their job and they will let you know when it's done. Quit bothering them.

This. 100%
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
That really sucks.  Back in the day whenever I would call they always picked up quickly, were really on-the-spot with info, and nearly friendly.

I like to imagine that the people who work there aren't super happy about having to be assholes now that the leadership has changed because I don't think the average BATFE employee is an asshole based on my experience.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I would actually recommend everyone call if the wait has been 5 months and then call once every month after, especially if you don't know your dealer 100%. Bought two suppressor at buds retail shop and waited an extra two months for my suppressors because the goof offs decided they didn't need to call me when the stamps got there. I even went to buds which is a 45 minute drive from my house, and asked about it and the blew me off. Called ATF that day and they said stamps were sent in december (picked it up last month). If you have been waiting for 5-6 months on your stamp and don't trust your dealer 100% call the ATF about it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good. I hope the people manning the phones are being used to process forms.
View Quote

But you know the are not.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Actually, Damon (yes, that Damon) is now an examiner.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#16]
That's good news. Hopefully he isn't the only one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There it is....  

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That manager at Foodlion used to be a cashier at one time I bet.  People move up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#19]
never understood why people would waste time calling, it just reduces the amount of time they spend approving forms.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#20]
It amazes me the polar differences people have on this topic.

One thing I seem to notice though is that the people who are against calling think the calls take away time people have to process forms. And the folks who are for calling seem to think the people answering the phone are not people who process forms.

Lack of factual information has created quite the divide....
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#21]
There are enough high horses in this thread to start a rodeo.

It's pretty ridiculous, as they seem to have no idea how the NFA Branch is organized.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

One thing I seem to notice though is that the people who are against calling think the calls take away time people have to process forms. And the folks who are for calling seem to think the people answering the phone are not people who process forms.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
There are enough high horses in this thread to start a rodeo.

It's pretty ridiculous, as they seem to have no idea how the NFA Branch is organized.

OK so lets hear some factual information and how the NFA branch is organized.

EDIT: Thanks BigWaylon
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#23]
There are a handful of customer service contractors who answer the phone. Mary, Victoria and Damon are (or used to be) in this group. Damon may have moved on to a different job. The time spent answering the phone has zero impact on how fast forms get approved.

There are another handful of contractors that are research assistants. That's who goes through the forms before they're handed to the examiners. They are not the same people answering the phone. If you've received an error letter, they probably have the name/email/phone of this person for any questions. Jessica is one of these (that's who my last error letter was from).

Then there are the examiners. They don't answer the main line, and their names are the only ones you'll see stamped on your forms, other than the supervisors.

The contractors do not approve forms, not the ones that answer the phones or the ones that assist the examiners. Taking time to talk to the ones answering the main line has zero impact on the approval process. Taking the time to call the one that sent you an error letter may slow down the overall process, buts it's also part of what they do and one phone call may be faster than multiple emails, or having your form sent back in only to have the error not corrected which results in more wasted time.

The people who don't fill forms out correctly cause a much bigger problem than those that call and ask for status.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I am waiting on a call back on why I had 3 go pending 7-23 and only 2 were approved on 12-2 and I just picked up another one today that went pending 12-2 and still don't have the one pending from 7-23.

If they would have any kind of procedure to their approval process, people wouldn't have to call so often.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There are a handful of customer service contractors who answer the phone. Mary, Victoria and Damon are (or used to be) in this group. Damon may have moved on to a different job. The time spent answering the phone has zero impact on how fast forms get approved.

There are another handful of contractors that are research assistants. That's who goes through the forms before they're handed to the examiners. They are not the same people answering the phone. If you've received an error letter, they probably have the name/email/phone of this person for any questions. Jessica is one of these (that's who my last error letter was from).

Then there are the examiners. They don't answer the main line, and their names are the only ones you'll see stamped on your forms, other than the supervisors.

The contractors do not approve forms, not the ones that answer the phones or the ones that assist the examiners. Taking time to talk to the ones answering the main line has zero impact on the approval process. Taking the time to call the one that sent you an error letter may slow down the overall process, buts it's also part of what they do and one phone call may be faster than multiple emails, or having your form sent back in only to have the error not corrected which results in more wasted time.

The people who don't fill forms out correctly cause a much bigger problem than those that call and ask for status.
View Quote

Thank you for this information.  It was very educational.  Yes, if you wait after the message you get dumped into a queue for a live person that was more than helpful.

For the record, I checked on the status of some of my transfers today.  One form 4 cleared on Feb 20th.  No stamp at my dealer yet.  Three more cleared on Saturday 3/7.  Hopefully I can take three cans and an AOW home this weekend......
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I called today like usual. Talked to a person. Probably set someone's form back a month with that call.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#27]
BigWaylons post is correct. This has been covered in numerous threads by some of the most knowledgeable NFA people on the sight.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I guess it doesn't matter any more. I got the call from my ffl that it was in and I could come pick it up!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
BigWaylons post is correct. This has been covered in numerous threads by some of the most knowledgeable NFA people on the sight.
View Quote

X2
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Calling once to verify that they received your Form 4/money order is reasonable. It's the idiots that call all the time that ruin it for everyone else. I'd hate to wait 6 months just to find out that they never received my Form 4.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am waiting on a call back on why I had 3 go pending 7-23 and only 2 were approved on 12-2 and I just picked up another one today that went pending 12-2 and still don't have the one pending from 7-23.

If they would have any kind of procedure to their approval process, people wouldn't have to call so often.
View Quote

Have a you heard anything back by chance? I'm in the same Situation, hitting 8 months now..
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#32]
No Sir....
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I use a personal check so I know when they Cashed it.

I have only called once maybe 15 years ago when I was an NFA newbie.

Once there was a Registry issue they wrote me about, which I cleared up with a letter and the transfer was completed in a couple of weeks.

Nowadays the forms go in, and I've gone on with life till my dealer calls and voila, I can pick my stuff up.

Back in 2000 it was a 2 month wait. My longest was 10 months. I have something like 19 forms completed.

In the pipeline is a MAC10 at 6 weeks or so since form submission.

I am shopping for another MG to wait on. It never ends!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Calling once to verify that they received your Form 4/money order is reasonable. It's the idiots that call all the time that ruin it for everyone else. I'd hate to wait 6 months just to find out that they never received my Form 4.
View Quote

They received it if they cashed your check. Also if you sent it certified and got the confirmation of receipt.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They received it if they cashed your check. Also if you sent it certified and got the confirmation of receipt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the federal government has never taken money and then lost paper work....
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Didn't say that wasn't a possibility. You said call to ensure they received it. Which you can verify by check cashed.

Again, if that were to happen and 6 months later you call and they say not in system then I'm pretty sure they would escalate and go ahead and get you through once you submit paperwork again.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Didn't say that wasn't a possibility. You said call to ensure they received it. Which you can verify by check cashed.

Again, if that were to happen and 6 months later you call and they say not in system then I'm pretty sure they would escalate and go ahead and get you through once you submit paperwork again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are people, not robots. I've read numerous threads were people have had issues here on ARF and the ATF was able to expedite and resolve the issues when they arose. Bad part about the new system is that you have to wait 6 months before any action.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Does one need submission dates for all submissions or can you just check via trust name or your full name?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Does one need submission dates for all submissions or can you just check via trust name or your full name?
View Quote

You have to check by serial number, then they confirm either transferee or transferor name (and sometimes both).
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#42]
...it would really be nice if the system was totally automated and we could check without calling.  Kind of like E-Filed Form 1.  I can see when it is pending and I can see when it is approved.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
...it would really be nice if the system was totally automated and we could check without calling.  Kind of like E-Filed Form 1.  I can see when it is pending and I can see when it is approved.
View Quote

$600 million obamacare website disaster... 2.0
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top