Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2015 6:42:29 PM EDT
I had the opportunity to run all their cans this weekend. HOLY CRAP

The mounting system is amazing and stupid simple. One of those, why didn't anyone think of this before.

The sound on it was on par with my specwars, it aint JJFU quiet, but it has a very cool and unique tone to it. We were running the Sandman-S on a 5.56 and it was damn near as quiet as my Specwar 5.56 on my mk18. No POI shift with the Sandman-Ti or any of them for that matter.

Mike Pappas and company hit a home run with this one. I expect it to be at the top of the class once forms start rolling around.

Mike didn't bring the Mask (.22 can) but promised me if you like the sparrow, you are going to love the mask.

I didn't really get any pictures of the cans we ran this weekend, but I did snap this beauty... Brent Taylor with his first hog!

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
That's one handsome specimen.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#2]

hard to see but the first three cans are the Dead Air cans. We were shooting out to 1,000.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Happy to hear. I ordered my S as soon as they became available for my first rifle can. The mounting system sold me as well as Pappas' reputation. The can looks badass too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Here is a good close up of the Ti. It sounded as beautiful as it looks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Here is the sandman-s on a 12.5" PWS ringing steel at 300 yards.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the dude in the boots shooting?  Those barrels like 5 ft long?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

huh
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

huh
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh

I think he means the dimpled barrel.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh

Yup. Second pick, dude with cowboy snow boots. Bolt action rifles with super long barrels. Look fun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, gotchya.

They are both West Texas Ordnance custom builds. Very freaking nice rifles.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:56:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The boar's not bad either!  

Oh, wait.  You're talking about Brent, right??
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of coarse. I dig goatees.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats a beard homie.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#14]
do you know if they are coming out with a 5.56 endcap like the Saker 762?  Really like seeing you say the Sandman S is almost as quite as your Specwar on the Mk18.  I am looking at a Sandman S for my 11.5
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
do you know if they are coming out with a 5.56 endcap like the Saker 762?  Really like seeing you say the Sandman S is almost as quite as your Specwar on the Mk18.  I am looking at a Sandman S for my 11.5
View Quote

there was some end cap talk but I wasn't really paying much attention so I can't answer that question. Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#16]
no problem thanks!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Per my emails with Cade @ Dead Air.

"We will have 5.56 brakes within the next month or so. Flash hiders will be available by mid-year, as will 5.56 end caps."
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

"We will have 5.56 brakes within the next month or so. Flash hiders will be available by mid-year, as will 5.56 end caps."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there you have it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Thats great to hear, I have a couple on order. Im very excited to see them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Sandman S is 6.8" in length.  Guess that's a sign that I'd better order one up for the 6.8.  BCV, you should let them know to add the 6.8 SPC to the other calibers in their cross over caliber verbiage of the Sandman S. The vast majority of hog hunters I run with or run into utilize that round and nearly all shoot suppressed. Thing is that inside the 6.8 crowd there's not a favorite suppressor that takes the $ market share like there is with barrels and ammo.  May be good marketing to capture the attention and loyalty of those fans.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sandman S is 6.8" in length.  Guess that's a sign that I'd better order one up for the 6.8.  BCV, you should let them know to add the 6.8 SPC to the other calibers in their cross over caliber verbiage of the Sandman S. The vast majority of hog hunters I run with or run into utilize that round and nearly all shoot suppressed. Thing is that inside the 6.8 crowd there's not a favorite suppressor that takes the $ market share like there is with barrels and ammo.  May be good marketing to capture the attention and loyalty of those fans.
View Quote

I'll pass along this information.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the pics… very cool!  I will probably be adding one of these to my collection in the near future.

Looks like those pics were taken in the panhandle … snow, flat, and windmills.  And hogs
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for the pics… very cool!  I will probably be adding one of these to my collection in the near future.

Looks like those pics were taken in the panhandle … snow, flat, and windmills.  And hogs
View Quote

Nope. About a hour and half northwest of Ft. Worth.

You should see what a .50 does too one of those turbines.

That was joke
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That was joke
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was joke

My guess woulda been near Abilene. I guess I was close ..
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was joke

few hours away from Abilene.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Any info out there to compare DB ratings?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm down to 2 rifle can choices: Dead Air & Rugged.  So far, Cade @ Dead Air has answered all of my questions.  Rugged has been (the wrong kind of) silent.

I like the modular aspect of the Surge762, but I don't know much about its mount, other than it employs what is essentially a locking nut concept.  Don't know if that's better, or just different for the sake of avoiding patent issues.

Sandman vids are out there demonstrating how the Sandman mount works, & it looks ridiculously slick.  It concedes the modularity aspect, though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm down to 2 rifle can choices: Dead Air & Rugged.  So far, Cade @ Dead Air has answered all of my questions.  Rugged has been (the wrong kind of) silent.

I like the modular aspect of the Surge762, but I don't know much about its mount, other than it employs what is essentially a locking nut concept.  Don't know if that's better, or just different for the sake of avoiding patent issues.

Sandman vids are out there demonstrating how the Sandman mount works, & it looks ridiculously slick.  It concedes the modularity aspect, though.
View Quote

The Rugged mount is very nice. 48 hours ago I was standing next to Henry and Mike in their shop, with a Rugged can in my hand, watching the CNC machine make end caps. The can aligns using the threads and dual tapers. The first is on the front of the brake and the can rests against it, the second is on the back side (angled the opposite direction) and that's what the compression/lock/spring portion of the suppressor engages.

Due to a signed NDA, not any pictures taken of the parts or shop, but we did get to hold tubes, end caps, baffles, brakes, etc...and shoot the Surge on a couple hosts.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The Rugged mount is very nice. 48 hours ago I was standing next to Henry and Mike in their shop, with a Rugged can in my hand, watching the CNC machine make end caps. The can aligns using the threads and dual tapers. The first is on the front of the brake and the can rests against it, the second is on the back side (angled the opposite direction) and that's what the compression/lock/spring portion of the suppressor engages.

Due to a signed NDA, not any pictures taken of the parts or shop, but we did get to hold tubes, end caps, baffles, brakes, etc...and shoot the Surge on a couple hosts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you allowed to comment on said hosts or your impressions?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I figured out the basic function from staring at the pause frames in their promo vid.  The rear compression arms obviously clamp onto the rear-side taper when the collar is tightened while the front side threads onto the front mount taper, resulting both sides pushing in opposing directions to create tension.  I was wondering how well the the springs that actuate the lever arms in the rear collar hold up to prolonged heat exposure, since it appears they are housed within it.

Can one even be ordered yet?  With 41p potentially looming, I'm motivated to grab a can sooner, rather than later.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Just to keep a thread with Dear Air in the subject somewhat clear, I'm going to quote a couple of the questions above and answer them in the Rugged thread.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

I went through the same decision process as you on the S vs. Surge for my first rifle can. I'm got a little frustrated waiting on more Surge specifics. A simple video showing the mounting system and switching between long and short versions would have gone a long way. Meanwhile DA has been running full throttle getting info, demos etc out there. I've also exchanged emails with Cade who has answered my questions in the middle of the night. All I'm really lacking is a comparison of similar cans.

I wanted to get the ball rolling with the paperwork. Needless to say I went with the "Deadman" S (as I'm starting to call it once my wife finds out) as soon as SS had them available. The modularity of the Surge is a great feature but was not a deal breaker for me. I figure if I want a longer can for better "suppression" I'd get something that would be dedicated on a heavy/precision rig.

This is not to discredit Rugged at all. I have no doubt the Surge is going to be a great can and I'll absolutely keep an eye on Rugged's progress/products. They were just moving a little too slow for my liking and the Deadman fit the bill at the time. With all these new cans coming out you're going to be splitting hairs on some differences. Just make a decision on your budget, what you desire in a can, and what's available. It's a great time to be in the suppressor market.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:59:23 AM EDT
[#33]
When Dead Air brings their 5.56 flash hider mount to market I'm getting one of their cans.

I will never mount a brake on any thing I own, not after taking a EAG Carbine class with a AAC brake on my left,
and a Battle Comp on my right. My targets looked like I was using a shotgun from all the flinching.
The instructor who was running the class wouldn't let me move to a different lane.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When Dead Air brings their 5.56 flash hider mount to market I'm getting one of their cans.

I will never mount a brake on any thing I own, not after taking a EAG Carbine class with a AAC brake on my left,
and a Battle Comp on my right. My targets looked like I was using a shotgun from all the flinching.
The instructor who was running the class wouldn't let me move to a different lane.

View Quote

Wearing plugs and muffs helps a lot.  Why would you limit your muzzle device options because someone else's rifle is to loud?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Why would a inconsiderate shooter bring a rifle with a brake to a class with other shooters in such close environment?
They had us lined up with only 2 to 3 feet apart.

And for your information, it was the muzzle blast that was annoying. I had excellent noise cancelling muffs on.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why would a inconsiderate shooter bring a rifle with a brake to a class with other shooters in such close environment?

And for your information, it was the muzzle blast that was annoying. I had excellent noise cancelling muffs on.
View Quote

Ymmv but "train how you fight". If someone is annoyed by a brake, they can pay for private training or petition the instructor to ban brakes at their classes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ymmv but "train how you fight". If someone is annoyed by a brake, they can pay for private training or petition the instructor to ban brakes at their classes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or not be a dick and also learn how to handle the crushing recoil of 5.56
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Put in my first can orders the other day and the dealer took my money for a Sandman-L and a Mask 22 (and a pair of Ospreys).  I'm looking now and it appears that the Mask 22 isn't actually out yet.  Anyone heard anything about the release date?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Earlier someone asked about dB reduction numbers.  We have them, but are doing some more testing before things go up.  

The Mask isn't out yet (to my knowledge, I need to check into it again to see if there's an ETA)... Sandman-S and L are still not the easiest cans to come by.  I'm really curious how the Mask performs myself.
View Quote

I'm really looking forward to seeing the numbers on the Sandman S and L, as well as pictures of the flash hider once Dead Air finalizes the design for them.

Capitol Armory has been awesome at responding to emails!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Got my S in jail and will be looking to pickup the Mask once it's available.

ETA: Also interested in seeing FH design. I need to by 2-3 muzzle devices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top