BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I got to take it to the range just now and it is a tad quieter that with the 9mm end cap. Probably due to the higher volume can and smaller exit hole?

Host: M&P9 w/ Octane45 Shot using a mix of 124gr & 147 American Eagle

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/nj0ywatch1np0rn/General/IMG_20150330_1844532.jpg
View Quote

you're saying the 45can/9cap is actually quieter then the octane 9? or it's just quieter than the 45can/45cap?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

you're saying the 45can/9cap is actually quieter then the octane 9? or it's just quieter than the 45can/45cap?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I got to take it to the range just now and it is a tad quieter that with the 9mm end cap. Probably due to the higher volume can and smaller exit hole?

Host: M&P9 w/ Octane45 Shot using a mix of 124gr & 147 American Eagle

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/nj0ywatch1np0rn/General/IMG_20150330_1844532.jpg

I would expect the 45/9 to be quieter than the 9/9. More volume than the 9 with the same exit bore. Same theory as to why the Saker 7.62 w/ 5.56 end cap is quietet than the Saker 5.56.

Same reason I'm not concerned with how perfect my F1 baffle holes are...the end cap is going to make the bigger difference.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Kick ass, just ordered one.  Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Interested for a F1 can
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any idea what the thread pitch on these bad boys are?

Interested for a F1 can

Maybe
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Interested for a F1 can
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any idea what the thread pitch on these bad boys are?

Interested for a F1 can

If someone could check/interpret my work that would be much appreciated. I am not a machinist by any stretch of the imagination:

1.28" x 24 TPI

Also - if one of you guys figures out a place that can thread the front end of a tube for this endcap and the back end for a Liberty Mystic / Gemtech MM booster assembly, please let me know.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also - if one of you guys figures out a place that can thread the front end of a tube for this endcap and the back end for a Liberty Mystic / Gemtech MM booster assembly, please let me know.
View Quote

Chris @ DM and Aaron @ ASG should both be able to handle that. Probably want to send them both end pieces so they can confirm thread pitch and check for proper fit.  Aaron would be a much faster turnaround.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Is anyone else's 9mm end cap wider (have more threads) than the .45? My 9mm was .602" and the .45 was .566" so the last threads now protrude out of the can slightly instead of being recessed. Also the last baffle fits a lot tighter in the 9mm and takes an allen key to pop out, whereas the baffle slides easily into the .45 end cap.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Is anyone else's 9mm end cap wider (have more threads) than the .45? My 9mm was .602" and the .45 was .566" so the last threads now protrude out of the can slightly instead of being recessed. Also the last baffle fits a lot tighter in the 9mm and takes an allen key to pop out, whereas the baffle slides easily into the .45 end cap.
View Quote

Compared to my .45 endcap, my 9mm replacement is slightly longer. The half baffle also won't fit into the 9mm cap. If I remove the half baffle, the cap will screw down onto the stack - and when it compresses the stack, it sits flush with the end of the tube.

It'd be interesting to hear how Silencer Shop and Capitol Armory configured their Octane 45 for testing.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#10]
OK. Made some measurements:

Endcap height:

.45: 0.566"

9mm: 0.602"

ID:

.45: 1.121"

9mm: 1.118"

Exit Aperture:

.45: 0.510"

9mm: 0.408"

.45 Half Baffle OD: 1.117"

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Compared to my .45 endcap, my 9mm replacement is slightly longer. The half baffle also won't fit into the 9mm cap. If I remove the half baffle, the cap will screw down onto the stack - and when it compresses the stack, it sits flush with the end of the tube.

It'd be interesting to hear how Silencer Shop and Capitol Armory configured their Octane 45 for testing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GOD DAMN IT I WANT PLUG AND PLAY
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Ak
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Information from a source close to the situation says that SiCo is going to try and market Octane end caps for consumer purchase.

No idea if it will actually happen.

I wish they'd offer a .40 end cap.

Ditto. For this:

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh623/pmdata/114b5ac07bddf1ae351a05d9a36f461f_zpsd07c82d4.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh623/pmdata/611ddf47fe3e074be19952513a67d4fb_zps0a61661a.jpg

I hate you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet, now I know where to hide my AAA stash.

Quoted:

BAH, you beat me to the pichers... here's mine:  Note, for anybody that doesn't know, the 9mm end cap has a hole the same diameter as a "AAA" battery.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
USPS just dropped it off:

BAH, you beat me to the pichers... here's mine:  Note, for anybody that doesn't know, the 9mm end cap has a hole the same diameter as a "AAA" battery.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I installed mine yesterday. It seems the last baffle won't easily fit inside the 9mm end cap. I added some drops of oil to the outside of that baffle and the inside of the end cap. Basically with a small amount of additional force (leaving the last baffle in place and screwing the cap on), everything went pretty much flush
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I installed mine yesterday. It seems the last baffle won't easily fit inside the 9mm end cap. I added some drops of oil to the outside of that baffle and the inside of the end cap. Basically with a small amount of additional force (leaving the last baffle in place and screwing the cap on), everything went pretty much flush
View Quote

no deformation of the baffle when stuffing it in there?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I even tried my original Octane 9 endcap and the .45 half baffle doesn't fit in there.

Silencer Shop says they used all the baffles when they used the Octane 9 endcap, but I'm not sure how they managed to get it in there.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I even tried my original Octane 9 endcap and the .45 half baffle doesn't fit in there.

Silencer Shop says they used all the baffles when they used the Octane 9 endcap, but I'm not sure how they managed to get it in there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

mine is on the truck for delivery today, if I can't get it in there with minimal effort it goes on the ee straight away if anyone's interested
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#18]
ok 9mm cap is here

I did not notice any appreciable difference in the fitment of the half baffle into my new 9 cap vs my 45 cap - half baffle was a good snug fit in both of them

yes the 9mm cap is a teensy tiny bit longer, as far as I'm concerned it fits perfectly but it does stick out from the end about ~1mm when fully tightened down with the half baffle properly installed

PLUG AND PLAY ACHIEVED!

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
ok 9mm cap is here

I did not notice any appreciable difference in the fitment of the half baffle into my new 9 cap vs my 45 cap - half baffle was a good snug fit in both of them

yes the 9mm cap is a teensy tiny bit longer, as far as I'm concerned it fits perfectly but it does stick out from the end about ~1mm when fully tightened down with the half baffle properly installed

PLUG AND PLAY ACHIEVED!

View Quote

Is it possible to get a pic?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ok 9mm cap is here

PLUG AND PLAY ACHIEVED!

gimmie a couple hours sure
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ok 9mm cap is here

PLUG AND PLAY ACHIEVED!

and if you have some calipers, can you get a measurement of your endcap ID and your half baffle OD?

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
and if you have some calipers, can you get a measurement of your endcap ID and your half baffle OD?

View Quote

I measured the ID of my 45 endcap at 1.118"

I know that isn't what you asked for, but I really don't feel like taking the can back apart today and I didn't want to be completely unhelpful

I'll try to remember to get ID of the 9 cap and OD of the baffle next time I have it apart

pics of fitment:

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I know that isn't what you asked for, but I really don't feel like taking the can back apart today and I didn't want to be completely unhelpful

I'll try to remember to get ID of the 9 cap and OD of the baffle next time I have it apart

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's actually useful info. If your .45 endcap ID is the same as the 9mm endcap, then your half baffle probably has a smaller OD than mine.

Would you mind sharing the serial number range of your Octane 45? Mine is OCT45-08XX.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#25]
mine's OCT45-39xx
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

pics of fitment:
http://www.prism-industries.com/45-9-1.jpg
http://www.prism-industries.com/45-9-2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pics of fitment:
http://www.prism-industries.com/45-9-1.jpg
http://www.prism-industries.com/45-9-2.jpg

Thanks for the pics and info.
I guess you'll be testing it this weekend?
From the looks of the pics looks flush and on there tight.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#27]
oh I tested it yesterday, couldn't really tell a difference because I was at a public indoor range but it worked fine
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#28]
My endcap fits identical to MaxTheRabbit's.  Last baffle fits inside just fine.  My Serial # is 08xx.  I actually prefer that the thing sticking out the end of the suppressor is the end cap instead of the tube.  $60 unregistered parts are easier to fix than tax stamps and serialized tubes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#29]
My half baffle is a tight fit in the .45 end cap and a tight(er) fit in the 9mm cap. I had to use a dowel to work the baffle out of the .45 cap, just careful prying on one side and then the other to work it up and out.   Then it took some careful alignment to get the baffle to go in the 9mm, even the slightest bit cocked to one side or the other and it stuck.  I put some silver anti-sieze on the baffle with the thought it might make it easier to get out next time.   But I don't shoot 22 through it so i'm not too worried about it.  

I think a very slight sanding of the baffle could make it an easier slip fit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My half baffle is a tight fit in the .45 end cap and a tight(er) fit in the 9mm cap. I had to use a dowel to work the baffle out of the .45 cap, just careful prying on one side and then the other to work it up and out.   Then it took some careful alignment to get the baffle to go in the 9mm, even the slightest bit cocked to one side or the other and it stuck.  I put some silver anti-sieze on the baffle with the thought it might make it easier to get out next time.   But I don't shoot 22 through it so i'm not too worried about it.  

I think a very slight sanding of the baffle could make it an easier slip fit.
View Quote

NEVER sand on the baffle.If you would like, you can do some on the inside of the end cap.  First rule of hand-fitting gun parts is to fit the cheaper part first.  Ruin a baffle and you have to send it back to SiCo.  If it fits AT ALL, I would not touch it.  Use a dowel to get it out if you have to, but better not to force things to fit, even if they're tight.  Twist it as it goes in.  It's not keyed, so you'll have no problem with that.

I get the impression with different reports that tolerances are different cap to cap and baffle to baffle.  Did I get lucky?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Just got my new end cap yesterday.  The last baffle slips right out of my .45 end cap and slips right into the 9mm end cap.  No forcing and no fitment needed.  It fits mostly flush, just like the one posted above.  Easy to change out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I wonder what a 9mm end cap will do to .300blk suppression levels
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wonder what a 9mm end cap will do to .300blk suppression levels
View Quote

It will help, check out the Silencer Shop videos.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I wonder what changed (legally I mean) to make these end caps ok...  Must simply be that now that they serve another purpose (the new muzzle brake), it is no longer "only" for silencers. Still, I would think actually putting it on an octane 45 would get the ATF all butt hurt!

I literally talked to silencershop and silencerco 2 weeks before they started selling these, and they said there was no way it could be done. They said whatever "loophole" they found to enable the sale of the Saker (and now Omega) endcaps couldn't be used to sell the Octane caps. They were still considered "silencer parts", and you couldn't legally own them.

Whatever... I just picked one up!
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I wonder what changed (legally I mean) to make these end caps ok...  Must simply be that now that they serve another purpose (the new muzzle brake), it is no longer "only" for silencers. Still, I would think actually putting it on an octane 45 would get the ATF all butt hurt!

I literally talked to silencershop and silencerco 2 weeks before they started selling these, and they said there was no way it could be done. They said whatever "loophole" they found to enable the sale of the Saker (and now Omega) endcaps couldn't be used to sell the Octane caps. They were still considered "silencer parts", and you couldn't legally own them.
View Quote

Nothing had to change legally.  If you read through the thread, though, Silencerco is making a brake which accepts both the front and rear cap of the Octane suppressor.  Therefore, the front cap has more than one use.  The law didn't change, only the introduction of the brake changed.  The law has ALWAYS been that a silencer part was a silencer... but a silencer part was one whose ONLY use was in a silencer.  Since front caps had only one use, then they were silencer parts.  The outer tube, being marked, is a suppressor.  The baffles only have one use, therefore, silencer parts.  Here's where it gets tricky, though.  The BATFE is an anti-gun organization that has been given regulatory power by the executive and legislative branches.  That power is now only checked by the Supreme Court of the United States of America.  You never get to the SCUSA unless there are these things in the wild.  SIG has pushed the issue with their supporting the Stabilizer Brace and, later, the MPX muzzle brake.  We don't get muzzle brakes that double as baffle stacks if the BATFE disapproves it.  So, instead of asking permission, SiCo just introduced the brake and let the cats roam free.

How hard is it to herd cats?

... I would rather the BATFE herd cats.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Nothing had to change legally.  If you read through the thread, though, Silencerco is making a brake which accepts both the front and rear cap of the Octane suppressor.  Therefore, the front cap has more than one use.  The law didn't change, only the introduction of the brake changed.  The law has ALWAYS been that a silencer part was a silencer... but a silencer part was one whose ONLY use was in a silencer.  Since front caps had only one use, then they were silencer parts.  The outer tube, being marked, is a suppressor.  The baffles only have one use, therefore, silencer parts.  Here's where it gets tricky, though.  The BATFE is an anti-gun organization that has been given regulatory power by the executive and legislative branches.  That power is now only checked by the Supreme Court of the United States of America.  You never get to the SCUSA unless there are these things in the wild.  SIG has pushed the issue with their supporting the Stabilizer Brace and, later, the MPX muzzle brake.  We don't get muzzle brakes that double as baffle stacks if the BATFE disapproves it.  So, instead of asking permission, SiCo just introduced the brake and let the cats roam free.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on how loudly they meow. Most of the time I heard them just fine.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Well I got my 9mm end cap the other day and the last end baffle on my 45HD does not fit into the internal dimensions of the new end cap.  I send an email to CS over at SilencerCo to see what they can do.  Anyone else contact them about this?  I can but don't really want to start modding the inside of the cap if I don't have to.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Mine was tight. Let me know what they say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I got my 9mm end cap the other day and the last end baffle on my 45HD does not fit into the internal dimensions of the new end cap.  I send an email to CS over at SilencerCo to see what they can do.  Anyone else contact them about this?  I can but don't really want to start modding the inside of the cap if I don't have to.

Same here - I shelved the endcap until I can figure out how to make it work.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#41]
How do you remove the original end cap? Is there a special tool for this?  My seems to be screwed on very tight.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

How do you remove the original end cap? Is there a special tool for this?  My seems to be screwed on very tight.

Thanks
View Quote

Use the booster piston. Stick a screwdriver through the slots to give you leverage.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Use the booster piston. Stick a screwdriver through the slots to give you leverage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My 9MM end cap won't fit over my baffle either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 9MM end cap won't fit over my baffle either.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#45]
No problems here using the 9mm endcap on my 45 Octane.  It even sounds the same.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Heat the end cap up with a heat gun and the battle will fall in.  Heat it back up to remove.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No problems here using the 9mm endcap on my 45 Octane.  It even sounds the same.
View Quote

So its a waste of time?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So its a waste of time?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So its a waste of time?

I'm wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So its a waste of time?

I have yet to do extensive tests, but it sounds quieter to me.  There is absolutely no way it is louder; the question is how much quieter.  Thankfully, SilencerShop already posted a video.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have yet to do extensive tests, but it sounds quieter to me.  There is absolutely no way it is louder; the question is how much quieter.  Thankfully, SilencerShop already posted a video.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So its a waste of time?

I still haven't shot mine anywhere but the stupid indoor range
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top