BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Got the call today. Heading to visit Henry & Co on Monday. NDA already signed and emailed back.

No idea what the plan is...if it's just a chat, or a good look around, or some range time. (Tar Heel got the invite and Scott asked if I wanted to ride along...uh, yeah! )

ETA: swinging by Allen Arms first...don't know much about them, as I think they're on the distributor/wholesaler side of things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to making a trip down there to visit in the next couple weeks.

Got the call today. Heading to visit Henry & Co on Monday. NDA already signed and emailed back.

No idea what the plan is...if it's just a chat, or a good look around, or some range time. (Tar Heel got the invite and Scott asked if I wanted to ride along...uh, yeah! )

ETA: swinging by Allen Arms first...don't know much about them, as I think they're on the distributor/wholesaler side of things.

Sweet!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Got off track a little in a Dead Air thread, so I'm going to move a couple questions into this thread. I did make it down to visit Rugged this past Monday. I'll give some real generic feedback due to a signed NDA. I went down with Scott from Tar Heel State Firearms and got to meet Henry and Mike at the shop. Got to see the welding station, all kinds of parts in various stages, the CNC machine that does most of the labor, even the "paint booth" and oven they use for the Cerakote process.

Super nice guys making a great product. Similar to the Dead Air situation, this is a start-up company run by known entities. Very different from your average start-up. With the little bit of shooting we did, plus the fact I had nothing to compare it to, I can't give a whole lot of info on performance...other than it sounded real good. But, I think we all agree that the top dozen or so cans are going to sound similar. You're paying for the difference in weight, length and features. Like with the Saker and its MAAD system, the modularity of the Surge is a differentiator in the market. The last inch and a half or so of the can screws off, then you move the end cap from that piece to what's left of the tube, and there you have the 5.56-length version of the can. I can only assume 5.56 end caps are coming soon...as are a couple other mounting options, as I believe the 7.62 brake is the only one available right now. They're hoping for other parts to be available close to the time F4s are being approved.

On a side note, I'm excited to try their finishing process on my F1 cans sometime in the next couple weeks. We even made a tentative plan for me to make a return trip on a day they could break out the dB meter and shoot my cans (and maybe some others brands I'd bring) against the Surge...really hoping that works out.

Quoted:
Yeah, I figured out the basic function from staring at the pause frames in their promo vid.  The rear compression arms obviously clamp onto the rear-side taper when the collar is tightened while the front side threads onto the front mount taper, resulting both sides pushing in opposing directions to create tension.  I was wondering how well the the springs that actuate the lever arms in the rear collar hold up to prolonged heat exposure, since it appears they are housed within it.

Can one even be ordered yet?  With 41p potentially looming, I'm motivated to grab a can sooner, rather than later.
View Quote

I know they didn't have a single complete can left in the shop, other than a handful that were in the oven after being Cerakoted. They have the one distributor for now that said he'd basically take everything they could make. I'd think you could buy one, as they should be to some dealers by now.

You summed up the mounting design. Not much more that I can add. I didn't ask specifics on their torture test, so I don't know about the springs that push the lever arms. I do know they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty on anything. It's even designed where the portion of the outer tube (just so happens to be the piece with the S/N) can be cut out and the baffle stack replaced should you have some type of catastrophic failure.

Quoted:
Are you allowed to comment on said hosts or your impressions?
View Quote

300BLK in semi and FA. They were shooting handloads that were right at the borderline of supersonic. Two week ago, the weather allowed them to stay subsonic, but the day I was there most of them cracked. Also shot it on a .30 bolt...though I have no idea what it was and didn't ask. Scott thought it was a Savage, but doesn't really matter. The interesting part was the ~8oz trigger pull...definitely wasn't ready for the first one.

The can itself was the demo unit they'd been using. Great design, great lockup on the brake.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah, and to address something from early on in the thread, dealers will be able to sell them for whatever they want. There will be a MAP, but once the dealer pays for the can, they're welcome to make (or lose) as much money on a sale as the business wants. Henry just doesn't want all the internet commandos to get caught up in the "this place is $5 less, but this one has free shipping" situation where you're sitting on your couch arguing over a couple bucks on a price match, and the quality/features/performance of the can should be the selling points. (That's all my very loose interpretation of the discussion we had when we asked him about MAP).
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, and to address something from early on in the thread, dealers will be able to sell them for whatever they want. There will be a MAP, but once the dealer pays for the can, they're welcome to make (or lose) as much money on a sale as the business wants. Henry just doesn't want all the internet commandos to get caught up in the "this place is $5 less, but this one has free shipping" situation where you're sitting on your couch arguing over a couple bucks on a price match, and the quality/features/performance of the can should be the selling points. (That's all my very loose interpretation of the discussion we had when we asked him about MAP).
View Quote

Awesome
Did he actually say "internet commandos"?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Absolutely not. That was my "loose interpretation" based on some of the posts here.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Absolutely not. That was my "loose interpretation" based on some of the posts here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Rugged has their first testing video up:

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I've shot that rifle.

Has about an 8oz pull. Scared the crap out of me on the first shot.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Numbers are not that different from anything else. Not knocking the can, just saying its in line with everything else. Well, as far as sound goes anyway.

Modularity is cool for those that think they need it. Truth is that it will probably stay in one configuration or the other.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots of good suppressors coming out this year, something for everybody.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone get that man a hog saddle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Someone get that man a hog saddle.
View Quote

Ha.  Truth.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Numbers are not that different from anything else. Not knocking the can, just saying its in line with everything else. Well, as far as sound goes anyway.

Modularity is cool for those that think they need it. Truth is that it will probably stay in one configuration or the other.
View Quote

I honestly think we are reaching the limits as far as suppression in a reasonable package goes. I really doubt we will see anything much quieter than what is out there right now.

I do somewhat agree on the modularity, however I think it does have a place. A 9 inch can is absurdly long on pretty much any semi automatic rifle, especially a 300 BLK. The 7.5 inch length is much better for this and will probably perform nearly as well as the 9 inch configuration with 300 BLK.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I would be much more interested in this if it had a shorter configuration. Changing it between 9" and 6.5" would put it at the top of my list, but with the current 9" / 7.5" configuration, I'm most interested in the Sandman S for my next can.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would be much more interested in this if it had a shorter configuration. Changing it between 9" and 6.5" would put it at the top of my list, but with the current 9" / 7.5" configuration, I'm most interested in the Sandman S for my next can.
View Quote

Good insight. I kinda agree.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I honestly think we are reaching the limits as far as suppression in a reasonable package goes. I really doubt we will see anything much quieter than what is out there right now.

I do somewhat agree on the modularity, however I think it does have a place. A 9 inch can is absurdly long on pretty much any semi automatic rifle, especially a 300 BLK. The 7.5 inch length is much better for this and will probably perform nearly as well as the 9 inch configuration with 300 BLK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed. We are splitting hairs. I'd go with something that fits your budget from a reputable company and a mount system that you like.

I'll always welcome more options though. It's truly a great time to be a suppressor customer.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only other major difference I could envision is larger and larger ODs.
A fat Ti can weight the same as a steel can should be noticeably quieter, right?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A fat Ti can weight the same as a steel can should be noticeably quieter, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe. However, the difference may not be as significant as you might think. I remember a similar discussion on SilencerTalk at one point and the prevailing belief was that you very quickly get to a point of diminishing returns when it comes to suppressor diameter.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maybe. However, the difference may not be as significant as you might think. I remember a similar discussion on SilencerTalk at one point and the prevailing belief was that you very quickly get to a point of diminishing returns when it comes to suppressor diameter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recall that thread as well.  I'm anxiously awaiting the Sig cans as not only do they ditch the tube but they are larger diameter as well.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Still happy with my specwar. Still kicking butt and taking names
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Was surprised at the pricing in shops.  Looking forward to a test but the price is too high for me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Was surprised at the pricing in shops.  Looking forward to a test but the price is too high for me.
View Quote

What prices were you seeing?  None of my local shops have them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't help but feel the same way.  When the accessory cost more than the host, the purchase is hard to swallow.  On top of that, it seems a little ridiculous when there is a competitor that does the same thing (within reason) for a lower price.  I may just be looking past a feature that covers the price differential these cans offer because it not something that is useful to me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My local dealer:

http://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69&product_id=312
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I can't help but feel the same way.  When the accessory cost more than the host, the purchase is hard to swallow.  On top of that, it seems a little ridiculous when there is a competitor that does the same thing (within reason) for a lower price.  I may just be looking past a feature that covers the price differential these cans offer because it not something that is useful to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean Griffin, right?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My local dealer:

http://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69&product_id=312
Dealers cannot advertise below MAP. Call them...

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the advertised prices at this point. Ever wonder why you have to create an account to see some prices on Silencer Shop's website?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You mean Griffin, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean Griffin, right?

¿Que?  I mean every other company that produces a similar product at a lower price.  I've  never handled a Griffin can.  Maybe them as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the advertised prices at this point. Ever wonder why you have to create an account to see some prices on Silencer Shop's website?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand how MAP works.  But if MSRP is $1300, I'm not getting the can for $800.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top