Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2015 9:00:03 PM EDT
I am looking into suppressing my Remington 700 rifle chambered in .308

I have narrowed down the possible suppressors to the Sportsman DT from Griffin Armament and the Harvester from SiCo.

Both are direct thread, have modular thread inserts, 30 caliber and feature lightweight Aluminum tubes.      Since this is a hunting rifle, I am not concerned with SBR or full auto cabability.      My main concerns are overall length and weight added, level of suppression, preservation of accuracy and price.

Both cans are essentially the same price, ($550) at Silencer Shop.    I like how the Sportsman DT uses an internal brake that also serves as a sacrifical baffle as opposed to the Harvester with its external brake.

If anyone has knowledge about either of these cans, please post your thoughts.    I appreciate any insight you can provide.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I went through the same and picked the sportsman dt.  I like the mount system/brake/sacraficial component and it looks better.  They are probably close in sound.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went through the same and picked the sportsman dt.  I like the mount system/brake/sacraficial component and it looks better.  They are probably close in sound.
View Quote

Nice!    Had a chance to shoot it yet?  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Also, i might add another reason for the sportsman dt.....b/c everybody seems to be on the harvester bandwagon and i decided not to be.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I choose the Harvester as it has more mounting options and I liked the anchor brake.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I choose the Harvester as it has more mounting options and I liked the anchor brake.
View Quote

More mounting options?  Dont think so. Both have a many.  Ive heard the anchor brake produces lots of concusion to the sides.  Cant say for certain.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Griffen's website only lists 1/2x28 and 5/8x24.
http://www.griffinarmament.com/Sportsman-Direct-Thread-Muzzle-Brake-Insert-p/sdtci.htm

SICO 5/8×24, M18x1 (Sako TRG), 9/16×24 RH, 1/2×28, 1/2×32, 7/16×28

http://www.store.silencerco.com/collections/center-fire-rifle/products/harvester-thread-mount

I checked all this 2 months ago to make certain on my decision.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#7]
1/2X28 and 5/8x24 are the only thread pitches I care about.

All the extra ones offered by SiCo for the Harvester is a moot point.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1/2X28 and 5/8x24 are the only thread pitches I care about.

All the extra ones offered by SiCo for the Harvester is a moot point.
View Quote

I agree but I like to look down the road just in case I decide one day and get a Sako TRG.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

My jury is still out on the longevity of a pure aluminum centerfire rifle can- I suppose time will tell. Griffin says they make the baffles 8-10 times thicker. OK that gives it longer life, but what is the wear rate of a aluminum baffle in a centerfire rifle application vs. stainless steel? It would be nice to have some empirical data.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My jury is still out on the longevity of a pure aluminum centerfire rifle can- I suppose time will tell. Griffin says they make the baffles 8-10 times thicker. OK that gives it longer life, but what is the wear rate of a aluminum baffle in a centerfire rifle application vs. stainless steel? It would be nice to have some empirical data.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive got 3 other 762 cans.....so this one is meant for one gun. Its a bolt gun and it gets hunted with a few times a year.  Im the can will outlast me and my heirs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
http://www.griffinarmament.com/Sportsman-Direct-Thread-Muzzle-Brake-Insert-p/sdtci.htm

http://www.store.silencerco.com/collections/center-fire-rifle/products/harvester-thread-mount

View Quote

Give it time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

All you have to do is ask. They do all kinds of odd thread pitches, theyre just not listed on their site. Hell they even make the dreaded 14x1.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not saying they can't make them I just went by what was available at the moment of my decision.  

I also went with SICO as I already bought a Saker so why not stick with the same brand.  Also the can is a bit thinner and a little lighter.  It was a no brainer to me.

The Sportsman is a bit shorter though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not saying they can't make them I just went by what was available at the moment of my decision.  

I also went with SICO as I already bought a Saker so why not stick with the same brand.  Also the can is a bit thinner and a little lighter.  It was a no brainer to me.

The Sportsman is a bit shorter though.
View Quote

I think they are both great cans, and their performance is nearly identical.      On the harvester can the external muzzle brake be removed and accept a normal end cap in its place?

For those who are interested...

Sportsman DT:   11.9 oz, 1.69" diameter, 8.6" long.   135 dB at muzzle with .308 win and a 20" barrel.    129 dB at the shooters ear.    19.29 cubic inches of volume (less when figuring in the internal brake, baffles or internal diameter).

Harvester .30:   11.3 oz, 1.37" diameter, 8.8" long.    136.4 dB at muzzle with .308 win on undisclosed length barrel.   dB at shooters ear also undisclosed.   Volume is 12.97 cubic inches (less when figuring in the brake, baffles, mount and ID)
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#15]
No the harvester brake cannot be removed. I have not shot them back to back but my SOT buddy has and he said the harvester sounded louder when shot under a canopy. His client bought the sportsman. Ive got cans from almost all of the major manufacturers, I see no reason to stick to one brand. Buy the can that fits your needs from a company that will take care of you. In this case both cans are backed by great companies so it comes down to the design you prefer. Im not a fan of the anchor brake so it'd be an easy decision for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks!   I'm definitely NOT a brand whore when it comes to stuff.    I have two SWR Spectre II's, a Gemtech Trek and a now a Thompson Machine Isis 2 waiting on a Form 4.     Variety is the spice of life... right?

I think I will go with the Sportsman DT.   Its quieter, shorter and does not have the external brake like the Harvester.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#17]
All yeah i forgot to add that I paid under $500 for the Harvester so that helped too.  

It seems both cans are about the same other than one has a break on it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I got the harvester because of the spectre ii deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top