Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2015 7:56:41 PM EDT
I have a factory threaded barrel m&p, but I am leaning toward a surefire rifle can for my first. I would use it on an 11.5" and 16" gun. I know many say they are quite loud, but the mounting system kind of sold me.

I'll prolly wait a while to see if anything else gets released, and maybe efile for form 4's will be back.

What are yall's opinions?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Rifle.  A 22lr can.  Also I'd say a saker or one of the new dead air for the rifle can.  Great mounting systems for no where near the surefire cost.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
and maybe efile for form 4's will be back.[/span]

View Quote

fuck no

Honestly, what do you shoot more?

The real answer is rimfire/.22lr
I shoot 9mm more but from a practical standpoint, I view a rifle suppressor as most useful.

That said, I bought a rimfire first, 9mm second and third, and a 556 4th
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

fuck no

I shoot 9mm more but from a practical standpoint, I view a rifle suppressor as most useful.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

fuck no

Yup, just because there is a shortage sometimes from all the neckbeards hoarding it. Don't let it stop you. .22 Rimfire can first, then .45 or 9MM. The rifle can in .30 caliber, then you can also use it on 5.56.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot my ARs the most so rifle cans is all I'm buying now (got 2 and saving for another).  I also got into the suppressor game firstly because I can use them for hunting.  

I may get a pistol can after another rifle can as that's the next thing I shoot the most.  .22 is last due to ammo.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I say .22 since it's the most fun and quietest.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]
You'll be waiting nearly a year for eForms to come back online for Form 4s.  Get a .22 can and you'll be having fun in about 3 months with a trust...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I say .22 since it's the most fun and quietest.
View Quote

Good advice.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with a rifle can and I really like it. It is a AAC 7.62snd6
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I would go with what you like to shoot the most.  

Myself I would go with more of a multi tasker for the first one like a Liberty mystik, having the ability to use it on a rifle or pistol and a vast amount of different calibers to play with makes for a nice can and much funner range time instead of one specific can.

I used to be a firm believe in get a .22 can first, however I do not believe that anymore.  With the price of .22 nowadays I shoot ALLOT more 9mm but I also reload at $.06 a round($.04 if I shoot it on my range and reclaim the lead) and for the most part is has fully replaced my .22 shooting.  I have quite the stockpile of .22 and  a large amount of 22 rifles/pistols and conversions and they rarely get shot, suppressed or not.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]
As other have said, go with what you should the most.

But for me, a Savage FV-SR with a rimfire can and CCQ Quiet or Standard Velocity is giggle fun at the range.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I definitely shoot my AR's the most. Followed by my m&p9
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a factory threaded barrel m&p, but I am leaning toward a surefire rifle can for my first. I would use it on an 11.5" and 16" gun. I know many say they are quite loud, but the mounting system kind of sold me.

I'll prolly wait a while to see if anything else gets released, and maybe efile for form 4's will be back.

What are yall's opinions?

View Quote

get the can for what you shoot the most. mine was a 9mm three lug for a 9mm full auto aug. there is always time for a 22lr can
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:18:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As other have said, go with what you should the most.

But for me, a Savage FV-SR with a rimfire can and CCQ Quiet or Standard Velocity is giggle fun at the range.

View Quote

like the combo. that's what I have. but I hate CCi Quiet ammo. groups okay under 25yds. and any standard ammo is just as quiet out of that rifle. that rifle groups well with almost any ammo
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:23:17 AM EDT
[#14]
For me I got a .30 Cal can and use it on all centerfire rifles. That's what I shoot the most. Next is pistol, then .22.

I don't shoot .22 that much. Especially now that the ammo situation is retarded.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For me I got a .30 Cal can and use it on all centerfire rifles. That's what I shoot the most. Next is pistol, then .22.

I don't shoot .22 that much. Especially now that the ammo situation is retarded.
View Quote

I have been shooting 9mm reloads that are cheaper than 22lr
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought a Tirant 9 as my first.  Although if the Mystic X was out before I did I would have gotten that since it's the most versatile between pistols and rifles.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Something like an Octane 9 or Octane 45 would let you shoot pistol and rimfire pistol and 300BO subsonic. Add a fixed mount and you can shoot rimfire rifle.

My primary pistol shooting is for training, granted it's often, but still I don't have any expectation of ever trying to CC or even OC a pistol with a suppressor on it so it's unrealistic to me.  I have pistol cans but they're more for S&G's and to keep on the bedside safe so I don't blow my hearing out in the unlikely event I need to shoot it in my house.  

My rifle cans do serve a practical purpose since I'm allowed to hunt with them where I live.  Also I find them much more enjoyable to shoot with cans.

A rimfire specific can will typically be your cheapest option and arguably the one you'll shoot the most based on round count.  As a result it'll be your best bang for your dollar.  

Based on all my personal research I avoided Surefires.  There are mounting systems that are good for less money on much better performing cans.  This is just personal observation and not intended to make a decision but when all the fans of the system can do is go on about the mounting system and nothing else it left me looking elsewhere.

As someone else said the Saker or Saker K with the MAAD mount is an excellent option.   Although last years model I've had no problems with my Specwars.  Very little POI shift for my hosts although they're built like a tank so weight is at the higher end of the scale.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

fuck no

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

fuck no

This makes the most sense.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a 30 cal can first. I use it on all my ARs (223 and 300blk) and 308 bolt gun. Its useful on most everything. Next was a .22 can. Now I need a 45 can for pistols.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Having bought a 45 can first, I should have gotten a 30 cal can. I recommend the SAKER 762; solid mounting options, great performance, and good customer service.

ETA: The 45 can is extremely quiet but just not practical like a rifle can
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#21]
You really only need 3 cans: a 45 that can also shoot 9mm, a rimfire and a 308.
My first was an AAC Evo-45 and it was an impulse buy. (Dealer gave me a great deal on it and I had 2 45s with threaded bbls)
That was followed by a GemTech Outback and a Ti-Rant 45 (By that time I had 2 threaded 9mm bbls).
Just picked up 2 rifle cans yesterday 762SD and a 556 SD. To use between 2 AR15s, an M1A, HK91 and an AR10.

I definitely shoot pistols more than rifles, so for me it made more sense to start with those and the rimfire.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#22]
It depends.  Whichever gives you the most utility for your time and money is likely the best bet.

That said, shooting pistol suppressed is great and I use mine as a teaching tool all the time for new shooters.  However, 100% on a pistol is not gonna happen if you do any type of defensive/tactical training; it is pretty much limited to plinking at the range or maybe hunting.  100% on a rifle is fine since you don't have a holster interface to worry about, plus ergonomic concerns about drawing such a long platform out of said holster system.

Personally I started with a .30cal rifle can, then got a .45 pistol can, and went from there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Silencers protect your hearing. Rifles are louder than pistols which are louder than .22s. Get a rifle can, then a pistol can, then a .22 can.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Centerfire rifle can, makes the biggest difference by far. Then a rimfire can for fun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fuck no

+1.  If you notice, most answers lead you to a 22 can, pistol can and 30 cal rifle can.  I'd say whatever you use most....and a lot depends on where you shoot IMO.

I would strongly suggest a dedicated 22 can though due to the lead.  Easy to run 9mm thru a 45 can or 556 thru a 30 cal can.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought a 22 suppressor first because I wanted the quietest option.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Can for my newly acquired Ruger American 22mag bolt gun.

She can do 22lr one shot at a time
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Only issue I've had with .22lr is the fact it's hard to find standard velocity or subs. Anything over 1100fps is makes a can useless. It muffles it a little but it's still loud. Sounds like a .223 after you put a can on it
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:07:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Only issue I've had with .22lr is the fact it's hard to find standard velocity or subs. Anything over 1100fps is makes a can useless. It muffles it a little but it's still loud. Sounds like a .223 after you put a can on it
View Quote

Herp derp
I bought a case of CCI quiet from Midway last week.

"Useless" is laughable
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:12:03 AM EDT
[#30]
How is it laughable? I shot 4 different .22 rounds that were over 1100fps out of 3 different cans on a 10/22 and it did little to muffle the sound compared to <1100fps
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:12:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I found shooting 22lr with a can to be the most fun, and made the biggest difference.  It was also a lot of fun to shoot indoors on occasion, or in a backyard.   You can't do that with a suppressed 5.56.  

Subsonic 9mm or .45 is also a lot of fun.  Shooting an AR suppressed isn't a big deal, as it is still really loud.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok I'm pretty set on a rifle can because I shoot that the most and would like to shoot at night without pissing off the neighbors. Which would yall recommend?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#33]
^^ Subsonic 300blk thorugh a saker, specwar, omega, sdn-6, etc
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#34]
My first was a rimfire.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ok I'm pretty set on a rifle can because I shoot that the most and would like to shoot at night without pissing off the neighbors. Which would yall recommend?
View Quote

Saker 7.62
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure how far away your neighbors are, but there's a pretty good chance it's still going to piss them off.  The sonic crack and accompanying noise is still pretty loud.  Now, if your neighbors are 500-1000yds away, nevermind.  

I bought a AAC SDN-6, but later ended up buying the Saker 762 as well.  Not sure if its BETTER, but I really like how it is adaptable to many uses (MAAD mounts switch out for use on direct threads, 51T mounts, Trifecta mounts, etc...)  

I still think a .22 suppressor should be your first, as they are the most fun to shoot.  The rifle can is just utilitarian, but not that impressive.  At least, not with supersonic ammo.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you are just looking for a super quiet 30 cal can that is durable, I'd suggest a Silencerco  Specwar.  Just slightly longer and heavier than a Saker but quieter and a few hundred cheaper.  Silencer Shop has a great sound comparison video.

Supersonic ammo will have the crack, but you could run subsonic ammo without your neighbors knowing, whether 22lr or 300 blk.

The Shaker is an excellent can, but I think the Specwar gets overlooked a lot...esp at a much lower price with the same Silencerco warranty.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:03:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Having bought a 45 can first, I should have gotten a 30 cal can. I recommend the SAKER 762; solid mounting options, great performance, and good customer service.

View Quote

This.

I did the .22 can first (I have three of the little bastards now), but for center fire cans, I would do a .30 cal rifle can first and then a .45 cal pistol can.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Depends on what you want. I bought a can for my home defense rifle. A 22 can would do me no good in that situation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
This.

I did the .22 can first (I have three of the little bastards now), but for center fire cans, I would do a .30 cal rifle can first and then a .45 cal pistol can.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

To use a 45 can on a 9 you just get a 1/2 x 28 piston for it correct?

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, unless your 9 is metric threaded and then it would be the corresponding M13.5 piston.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Yes, unless your 9 is metric threaded and then it would be the corresponding M13.5 piston.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotcha. My m&p is factory threaded so I may just go ahead and do that. Silencershop has the tirant 45 for about 500.

What's the consensus on them in general?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#43]
The M&P had two factory barrel options so check it out.  1/2x28 or M13.5x1 LH.  Easy to figure out seeing as the metric twists the "wrong" way.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Gotcha. My m&p is factory threaded so I may just go ahead and do that. Silencershop has the tirant 45 for about 500.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard good things about the TiRant.   But I'm a Die Hard SWR / SilencerCo addict.  There customer service cannot be beat.  Period.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top