Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2015 5:48:50 PM EDT
Hung out with John Holister at Shot Show. Also said hello to Kevin Brittingham.

The new Sig silencer is interesting.    It is Tubeless.    Remember the old AAC ads showing the circumferentially welded tube?  The old Silvers video if him shooting a m4-2000 baffle Stack sans outer tube!    Well, that is what the this silencer is. No outer tube.   Chevk out the first videos and you can see the unfinished welded baffle stack.  

Sig Sauer Mount. How it works w/ John Hollister. John Hollister explains how the Sig Sauer quick attachment works. The mount is innovative in its simplicity, its lack of moving parts, and the way that it works. It also has wrench flats. The wrench flats serve two purposes. One allows the can to be torqued the same torque setting each time the can is mounted. This affects the precision characteristics of the mount and can combination. The second reason for the wrench flats is to unstick a stuck suppressor. The wrench flats allow the wrench to depress the latch. This aids in the removal of a stuck suppressor from the mount.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the 5.56mm can
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#2]
John Hollister shows us the "No Time" muzzle brake.

That's right. No timing required. The mount uses a crush washer inside to allow the brake to time itself.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
John Hollister show the QD mount in action.  No Rachets, no backing off a notch and wiggling . . .wrench flat to allow for consistent torque.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
From Doubleshot's thread:

sig-sd-full-lineup-announced

From left to right, the following are pictured in the header:
SRD338-QD (MSRP not provided) - features Sig's trademarked Taper-Lok quick detach mounting system, and is available for calibers .300 BLK, .300 Winchester Magnum, .308 Winchester, and .338 Lapua Magnum
SRD762-QD (MSRP $695 US) - also features the Taper-Lok system, and is available for calibers 5.56x45mm, 7.62x39mm, 7.62x51mm, .300 BLK, and .300 Winchester Magnum
SRD762 (MSRP $595 US) - same as above, except that it features wrench flats instead of the QD system
SRD556-QD (MSRP $645 US)- features the Taper-Lok system, and is available for calibers 5.56x45mm, .22 LR, .22 Win Mag, and .17 HMR
SRD556 (MSRP $545 US) - same as above, except that it features wrench flats instead of the QD system
SRDMPX - for dry use with 9mm supersonic rounds only (not for commercial sale)

SRD45 (MSRP $695 US) - features a titanium tube and stainless internals, and is available for calibers 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP

SRD9-S - for dry use with subsonic rounds or wet use with supersonic rounds, available for 9mm and .380 ACP calibers (not for commercial sale)

SRD22 (MSRP $395 US)- available for calibers .22 LR, .22 Win Mag, and .17 HMR[
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow. Any mention of expected street date?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
They haven't made any splash until you can buy them.  Still waiting to see an mpx in the wild...  

Did they say anything about availability?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They haven't made any splash until you can buy them.  Still waiting to see an mpx in the wild...  

Did they say anything about CIVILIAN availability?
View Quote

?

I happen to need a .45 can... Well kinda
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think I like the mounting system. The latch doesn't lock the suppresser from moving. It just keeps it from coming completely off. You have to actually torque this thing on after the latch is already locked to keep it from moving any.

To me this is no different than a damn thread on mount except when it works loose it won't come all the way off. However, it will still screw up your point of impact shift. I don't think this is going to work like they think it will.

Thread mount cans work loose period. This isn't really any different except it can only work loose about a turn before the latch catches it. That turn is still enough to cause point of impact shift in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I disagree with what you say based on what I felt at the show. By the time the latch engages, the suppressor is securely tightened to the mountains. In other words, the shoulder inside the can is fully engaged with the shoulder on the Mount. There is no wiggle at the latch. Therefore, the cam does back up to the latch, it is still fully engaged and tight on the Mount. Hopefully, I can get a couple of these to try out and I will be happy to report my findings.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think I like the mounting system. The latch doesn't lock the suppresser from moving. It just keeps it from coming completely off. You have to actually torque this thing on after the latch is already locked to keep it from moving any.

To me this is no different than a damn thread on mount except when it works loose it won't come all the way off. However, it will still screw up your point of impact shift. I don't think this is going to work like they think it will.

Thread mount cans work loose period. This isn't really any different except it can only work loose about a turn before the latch catches it. That turn is still enough to cause point of impact shift in my opinion.
View Quote

It's a taper mount system. Once it's locked onto the taper, it's not going to come loose like a normal thread mount and if it does work loose, the latch is there to catch it and prevent a baffle strike.
Lots of silencers out there use taper mounts now (TBAC, Wilson, Griffin, SAS, etc). Taper mounts can be quite difficult to remove sometimes too (hence the wrench flats, just in case)
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
One thing for sure, I would make sure that mount is on tight with rockset.  The last thing I want is the mount coming off in the can.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I disagree with what you say based on what I felt at the show. By the time the latch engages, the suppressor is securely tightened to the mountains. In other words, the shoulder inside the can is fully engaged with the shoulder on the Mount. There is no wiggle at the latch. Therefore, the cam does back up to the latch, it is still fully engaged and tight on the Mount. Hopefully, I can get a couple of these to try out and I will be happy to report my findings.
View Quote

You posted the video. It clearly shows that the can turns without depressing the latch. Then when it reaches the point of where the latch hits the wall that prevents the can from coming off any further you have to depress the latch to take it on off.

That definitely shows the suppressor will turn by hand or vibration without depressing the latch. IMO any movement of the can can effect  point of impact. He even says in the video that after you reach the point of where the latch engages that you still

have to torque the suppressor on further to lock it in place. Go back and watch the video again. It clearly shows it backs off to a point and then you depress the latch to take it off further. It's almost a full turn of the can.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's a taper mount system. Once it's locked onto the taper, it's not going to come loose like a normal thread mount and if it does work loose, the latch is there to catch it and prevent a baffle strike.
Lots of silencers out there use taper mounts now (TBAC, Wilson, Griffin, SAS, etc). Taper mounts can be quite difficult to remove sometimes too (hence the wrench flats, just in case)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taper mount isn't the problem its the latch system. Most latch systems don't allow the silencer to move at all after they are set. This Suppressor does. Go back and look at the video. Sure it may hold it on and maybe keep a baffle strike from happening

but I would really think that the point of impact would definitely change since any movement of a suppressor can cause that to happen. Wouldn't you? Look at the video again and see how it works. Then go look at how other taper mounts work. They screw

on until that meet flush with the taper than there is some sort of ratchet or latch that holds the suppressor in that position fixed to the taper allowing for absolutely no movement. The Sig can does allow movement.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#15]
well, that may be.  Lets see how it works in actual use.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#16]
My guess would be that it doesnt require the lock but one was added to give the appearance of the "sophistication" of a mounting system.  

In other words the designer sees the functional superiority of taper mounting systems but sees consumers as people who need to see locking mechanisms even if they are completely unnecessary by design.

if Ive followed this correctly this system places the taper in front of the threads.  That would explain the carbon binding and need for wrench flats.  the muzzle devices appear to be miniature cosmetic devices designed to camoflage the fact that the mounts are essentially thread adaptors and functional utility has been compromised for light system weight.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My guess would be that it doesnt require the lock but one was added to give the appearance of the "sophistication" of a mounting system.  

In other words the designer sees the functional superiority of taper mounting systems but sees consumers as people who need to see locking mechanisms even if they are completely unnecessary by design.

if Ive followed this correctly this system places the taper in front of the threads.  That would explain the carbon binding and need for wrench flats.  the muzzle devices appear to be miniature cosmetic devices designed to camoflage the fact that the mounts are essentially thread adaptors and functional utility has been compromised for light system weight.

View Quote

IIRC, John said that Govt Contracts require the lock, but that the can did not need it to stay on.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
the muzzle devices appear to be miniature cosmetic devices designed to camoflage the fact that the mounts are essentially thread adaptors and functional utility has been compromised for light system weight.

View Quote

That is a good question.  Will these adapters last as long as a SFMB556?  Trifecta?  %1 Tooth MB or FH?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#19]
The be meyers flash suppressor isnt 2.5-3" long because it looks cool- the longer the flash suppressor the better it works to conceal flash.  At .75" length tines, flash suppressors dont work. Brakes and comps are also better as they get larger.  

the light muzzle device concept is interesting but it shows a bias toward system weight over overall system performance.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Curious as to what part is serialized?  Does this mean if damaged, they can cut off what's damaged and weld on new baffles?  What about end cap versatility?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The be meyers flash suppressor isnt 2.5-3" long because it looks cool- the longer the flash suppressor the better it works to conceal flash.  At .75" length tines, flash suppressors dont work. Brakes and comps are also better as they get larger.  

the light muzzle device concept is interesting but it shows a bias toward system weight over overall system performance.
View Quote

This crossed my mind as well.

Also, if I'm going to run a brake, I think I want more than just a single chamber brake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top