Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2015 4:25:19 AM EDT
Completely new to suppressors... and interested in picking up a couple for 2015! But just gong off new releases and current products, there seems to be a lot of products that are catered to shorter versions with less suppression.

Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong, but these cans are only reducing the overall weapon length by what? 5%? And decrease their noise suppression by 30+%?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:39:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Completely new to suppressors... and interested in picking up a couple for 2015! But just gong off new releases and current products, there seems to be a lot of products that are catered to shorter versions with less suppression.

Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong, but these cans are only reducing the overall weapon length by what? 5%? And decrease their noise suppression by 30+%?
View Quote

Because there's not much way to improve the full length cans, and they want to offer new products without being completely redundant.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:15:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Since many cans arent hearing safe anyway many people are leaning towards the cans that are shorter and easier to use/maneuver.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#3]
.MIL, .GOV, .LEO.

The need for a short can that reduces signature, blast, and flash.  

Not hearing safe, but better than nothing at all in an indoor firefight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since many cans arent hearing safe anyway many people are leaning towards the cans that are shorter and easier to use/maneuver.
View Quote

Yep. I don't shoot subsonics very often, so a short can works fine for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want minimal length and weight without sacrificing suppression, go with a direct-thread titanium can.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
.MIL, .GOV, .LEO.

The need for a short can that reduces signature, blast, and flash.  

Not hearing safe, but better than nothing at all in an indoor firefight.
View Quote

This but it applies to civilians as well, only exception are the decibel whores who chase decibels.  Overall signature reduction, attachment method, overall weight and overall length are major issues.  I wouldn't want to clear a house witha SDN6 attached to a 16" rifle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.
I prefer shorter and louder rifle cans. Nothing is hearing safe to being with so let's focus on what we can - weight and added length
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#8]
But with options like the TBAC Ultra series and SilencerCo's Omega you get shorter and quieter.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I think there is also a natural evolution of end user preferences, which is becoming more obvious as silencer ownership grows.

If I already have a Saker/Octane/Ti-rant, etc, it makes more sense to consider something shorter/lighter as a next purchase, instead of something just as big but 1-3 db quieter.

Also, as silencer tech improves on the margin, you can make smaller cans with "acceptable" sound reduction.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But with options like the TBAC Ultra series and SilencerCo's Omega you get shorter and quieter.
View Quote

That too!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#11]
My mini 4 and 11.5 barrel rifle get more use than any other gun I have.  The reason for that is one thing - weight.  When you carry it for hours then every ounce counts
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#12]
It is my impression the many LEA's and .mil units who use supressors still use supersonic ammo. The shorter can allows the user to slice the pie easier and quick team identification as well as the added benefit of hearing protection. Also, every can virtually eliminats all muzzle flash which provides a big leg up in low light and no light scenarios.

There are several benefits to having a can outside of noise suppression. Not everyone is proned out shooting great distances attempting to conceal their location. You're really limiting your options when you take an object and declare it a sole purpose.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is my impression the many LEA's and .mil units who use supressors still use supersonic ammo. The shorter can allows the user to slice the pie easier and quick team identification as well as the added benefit of hearing protection. Also, every can virtually eliminats all muzzle flash which provides a big leg up in low light and no light scenarios.

There are several benefits to having a can outside of noise suppression. Not everyone is proned out shooting great distances attempting to conceal their location. You're really limiting your options when you take an object and declare it a sole purpose.
View Quote

Titanium cans tend to spit sparks out of the front of the can so they kinda suck at reducing flash & even several other cans don't totally eliminate flash.  Cans like the Surefire SOCOM & KAC QDC/CQB reduce flash to a tiny amount (you get what you pay for).
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think there is also a natural evolution of end user preferences, which is becoming more obvious as silencer ownership grows.

If I already have a Saker/Octane/Ti-rant, etc, it makes more sense to consider something shorter/lighter as a next purchase, instead of something just as big but 1-3 db quieter.

Also, as silencer tech improves on the margin, you can make smaller cans with "acceptable" sound reduction.
View Quote

My first 5.56 can was a YHM Phantom SS. After I bought my -212 Surefire, it hasn't seen another round through it. Not worth the extra weight. Micro cans are the only thing I find interesting anymore.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#15]
+1

I have several good cans that are long, heavy(ish) that reduce DB's.   Now I'd like a short can for a HD to take the edge off the shot while reducing the 10' pole that my glock with a Octane 45 sometimes feels like.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are quieter at the shooters ears and than bullet flight, so it's free weight and length savings.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Short cans are a lot more maneuverable, this one fits in a drawer where a full size can won't.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Titanium cans tend to spit sparks out of the front of the can so they kinda suck at reducing flash & even several other cans don't totally eliminate flash.  Cans like the Surefire SOCOM & KAC QDC/CQB reduce flash to a tiny amount (you get what you pay for).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty certain all the cans I've ever had the pleasure to shoot resulted in zero flash at half the price of SF & KAC (not to mention other benefits). Point is, it's not something inherent to $1K+ overpriced cans, it's what happens when you put a pressure containing vessel with numerous chambers that are separated by turbulence inducing baffles on the muzzle of a weapon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Short cans are a lot more maneuverable, this one fits in a drawer where a full size can won't.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bjgunner/40A5CE92-509A-42F6-9028-0C4107E0369C-705-000000AA3B720002_zps1044784e.jpg
View Quote

What can? Dimensions?
I have a 4.25" 9mm Micro can pending
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:52:24 PM EDT
[#20]
After running a few carbine classes with a 14.5" gun and a 28oz can on the end, I "get it" when it comes to the shorter cans.  Shooting side by side with a SF 5.56 mini can you could not really tell mine was quieter, but my arms sure could tell it was heavier.

That said, I still value having a minimum number of cans for maximum number of calibers and big-caliber attenuation performance (.308, 300wm) is important to me.  I'm sure I'll be happy with my 762 Saker whenever I finally get it, but I'm guessing I'm going to wish I had gone smaller and lighter once I get it on that longer 5.56 gun.

Even on the 8" 300blk things like target transitions are fatiguing with a big, heavy bitch on the end of the muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What can? Dimensions?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bjgunner/40A5CE92-509A-42F6-9028-0C4107E0369C-705-000000AA3B720002_zps1044784e.jpg

What can? Dimensions?

Its a 4" long Form 1 suppressor I built for my 40 caliber Glock 22. The other is a SWR Trident on a Glock 17.
The g22 stays in the night stand with can attached. It stays 'charged' with some wife pulling gel to get it down to the suppression of a full size.

I was on a kick of micro form 1 cans.
I have a 3.5" 22 suppressor that wet in quieter than a commercial 22 suppressor and made a 5" long 223 suppressor for my SBRs that works great.
Now waiting of form 1 to come back on a true micro 223 can that will be under 4" long.

Here's the micro 22 on a beretta 21a (form 1 pen gun was in the only pic I have)

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I shoot 5.56 so even with a massive can its still not hearing safe because of the sonic crack and the noise of the action of the rifle, plus it's mounted on a 10.3" SBR which is just a noise machine. Oh and I shoot at public ranges 90% of the time, so for me a can is more about flash and recoil reduction with the added Benicia that if I shoot it in doors for home defense my ears won't explode. And becuse it's a HD rifle I won't something short and light.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Its a 4" long Form 1 suppressor I built for my 40 caliber Glock 22. The other is a SWR Trident on a Glock 17.
The g22 stays in the night stand with can attached. It stays 'charged' with some wife pulling gel to get it down to the suppression of a full size.

I was on a kick of micro form 1 cans.
I have a 3.5" 22 suppressor that wet in quieter than a commercial 22 suppressor and made a 5" long 223 suppressor for my SBRs that works great.
Now waiting of form 1 to come back on a true micro 223 can that will be under 4" long.

Here's the micro 22 on a beretta 21a (form 1 pen gun was in the only pic I have)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bjgunner/C9D3DF23-0381-421D-AA96-56C9D4372141-12744-000008C72B80E047_zps0f4fff86.jpg

View Quote

Wow, I'd like more details on this one.

OP: I think the main reason a lot of people get a second or third can is to reduce flash on a short barrel, and/or to make the short barrel's concussion bearable. Any other use really isn't going to work, heh. A short can will reduce flash pretty effectively.

Personally, I don't shoot much without a can anymore, because even a little noise reduction is good in my book. My dad is mostly deaf from flying 130s in the AF, so I have a good example of how losing hearing changes your life.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah I've got hearing loss in one ear (not from damage from loud noises) and you don't realize how important it is until you lose your directional hearing.

I'm pissed because the gun club just put up a covering over the firing line.  It was bad enough having to shoot with uncivilized folks - you know, those without silencers, but now it is absurdly loud.  Even shooting suppressed I need plugs and muffs due to other members.  Matches are awful with like fifteen guys on the line.

Sometimes I wanna shoot my 14.5" with the brake just as a little "fuck you" for their noise.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah I've got hearing loss in one ear (not from damage from loud noises) and you don't realize how important it is until you lose your directional hearing.

I'm pissed because the gun club just put up a covering over the firing line.  It was bad enough having to shoot with uncivilized folks - you know, those without silencers, but now it is absurdly loud.  Even shooting suppressed I need plugs and muffs due to other members.  Matches are awful with like fifteen guys on the line.

Sometimes I wanna shoot my 14.5" with the brake just as a little "fuck you" for their noise.
View Quote

One reason why I won't shoot indoors anymore.  A guy shooting a shotgun on one side and another guy shooting a AR pistol with some kind of brake on the other.  To damn loud for me and I can tell I'm loosing my hearing.

I'll be getting a 556k can this year just to take the edge off.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Shorter and lighter means more maneuverable and more easily concealed. With a little water, they can be surprisingly quiet, even compared to a full size can. My TiRant 9s is really growing on me over my Osprey9. Now I just need that TiRant 45M to get the best of both worlds.

I actually bought the 9s to use, mostly, on the G26, but it gets screwed onto my G19 most of the time. Except for this pic.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh okay, so basically the short cans are good enough. They can take the edge off but the longer cans are a tad quieter but still nowhere hearing safe so people prefer the maneuverability and lower weight of the shorter cans?

Reason I was confused is because... I think it was the book No Easy Day? One of the Navy Seal books where they showed a picture of their rifle setup and it was something like a 10.4" HK 416 with a full length AAC M4-2000 or similar suppressor on it.

My first can will be for a 5.56 rifle. (Probably the KAC SR15 or a HK MR556) I'm trying to decide between either the KAC QDC 5.56, KAC QDC CQB 5.56, AAC M4-2000, AAC Mini-4, and apparently now a SilencerCo Omega?

There are so many damn suppressor choices, it's enough to make a newbie's head spin. I suppose the more choices the better, but it's a tad harder when you have to just read about them lol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Oh okay, so basically the short cans are good enough. They can take the edge off but the longer cans are a tad quieter but still nowhere hearing safe so people prefer the maneuverability and lower weight of the shorter cans?

Reason I was confused is because... I think it was the book No Easy Day? One of the Navy Seal books where they showed a picture of their rifle setup and it was something like a 10.4" HK 416 with a full length AAC M4-2000 or similar suppressor on it.

My first can will be for a 5.56 rifle. (Probably the KAC SR15 or a HK MR556) I'm trying to decide between either the KAC QDC 5.56, KAC QDC CQB 5.56, AAC M4-2000, AAC Mini-4, and apparently now a SilencerCo Omega?

There are so many damn suppressor choices, it's enough to make a newbie's head spin. I suppose the more choices the better, but it's a tad harder when you have to just read about them lol.
View Quote

There are a ton more cans in that category than you list, but the omega is a 30 caliber can. The SiCo equivalent to the rest of them would be the saker/specwar and their smaller K variants.

Other makes would include TBAC, Liberty, Innovative, Surefire, Griffin, Gemtech etc.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most of the Micro cans first hit the market in 2011, so the chances of a Mini-4 being used over a M4-2000 wasn't very high. IIRC Surefire's Mini/Micro were built in response to those type of end users though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#30]
At first I too focused on dB when I was looking at suppressors. But as I buy more I have come to approeciate other factors as much or more than quietness. My Mystic is versatile (and very quiet nonetheless), my VERS 9S controls the gas very well and keeps the length/weight down on my M11/9, my Tirant9 is very light...none of those were purchased with dB as the first consideration. But they all hide shot signature and flash, as well as reduce noise and control gas (the Bowers).
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Still, I don't think anyone would recommend a mini can for your first.  I would say the typical progression is something like:

1.  Wow, this full size can is quiet on my 16" gun.
2.  Wow, running on a full sized can on a 16" gun kinda sucks.  I want an SBR.
3.  Wow, running a can on an SBR is awesome, and I'm okay with the sound level
4.  Now I can see how a very quiet mini suppressor on a 14.5/16" gun MIGHT have a role along my spectrum of suppression needs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Exactly how I've gone through it so far.  If I had run another carbine class or two before buying the 762 Saker I likely would have gone with a different system, especially after I found out I didn't like the design of the Y-Mount and would need to swap all my mounts regardless.  I was actually impressed with the SF mini 762 can when I saw/heard it, but I likely would have gone with one of the lightweight YHM offerings.

Oh, well it's only money!
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:24:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Still, I don't think anyone would recommend a mini can for your first.  I would say the typical progression is something like:

4.  Now I can see how a very quiet mini suppressor on a 14.5/16" gun MIGHT have a role along my spectrum of suppression needs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you guys think of a mini can on a 11.5" sbr? I'll be buying the KAC 11.5" Mod 2 SBR this year and thinking about suppressing it. Just gotta pick a suppressor length and which company to go with. (KAC is obvious choice but pricey of course)
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:08:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What do you guys think of a mini can on a 11.5" sbr? I'll be buying the KAC 11.5" Mod 2 SBR this year and thinking about suppressing it. Just gotta pick a suppressor length and which company to go with. (KAC is obvious choice but pricey of course)
View Quote

The obvious downside is you're combining a louder gun with less suppression.  In some cases, set ups like this may still leave you with visible flash, which is a deal breaker for me.

The advantage is that SBRs are more susceptible to over-gassing, so the decreased blowback from smaller cans helps here.  In the end, SBR/mini can set ups are fine for some, as long as you know what to expect, which is a gun with less bark, but still measures at 140db or higher with possible flash.

I don't yet have any mini cans, but the one I'm eyeing (Specwar K), will probably live on a 14.5" SBR, while my full size cans will remain on my 11.5's.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Pretty certain all the cans I've ever had the pleasure to shoot resulted in zero flash at half the price of SF & KAC (not to mention other benefits). Point is, it's not something inherent to $1K+ overpriced cans, it's what happens when you put a pressure containing vessel with numerous chambers that are separated by turbulence inducing baffles on the muzzle of a weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be wrong
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to repeat myself but there are some thread on cans (such as the trek-t) that are lighter, quieter, and cheaper than the QD mini cans and they are almost as short too. I think ppl rally over look the advantages of thread on cans. I know not everyone has unlimited funds but I would rather that've a few less guns total and have dedicated thread in cans than save money by using a QD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top