User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I got some spare time today and got to shoot with a friend. My 11.5 balanced really well with the Omega and didn't feel front heavy at all.

The tone sounded really good to me with the 556 endcap on it, along with making it pretty compact. I took a few shots with it without ear pro on and it's definitely manageable but it's not something I'll do regularly. Below is video of my friend shooting my Omega and his SDN-6 back to back. We agreed that the Omega was quieter at least to us.

The only negative has more to do with me being left handed than the Omega itself. Every time I pulled the trigger I got a money shot of gas to the face which quickly got annoying. However when switching to shooting right handed it wasn't an issue at all. Needless to say I'll be getting an adjustable gas block, probably a SLR Rifleworks since they're on sale this weekend so anyone who owns them feel free to chime in.

Omega
http://youtu.be/Rxr5K4nep7A

SDN-6
http://youtu.be/ph92TOjA-e4
View Quote

Can even hear the twang with the SDN6. I use SLR adj gas blocks on my suppressed ARs and love them. Govnah is another good option just depending on how much you want to be able to dial it in.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Can even hear the twang with the SDN6. I use SLR adj gas blocks on my suppressed ARs and love them. Govnah is another good option just depending on how much you want to be able to dial it in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I got some spare time today and got to shoot with a friend. My 11.5 balanced really well with the Omega and didn't feel front heavy at all.

The tone sounded really good to me with the 556 endcap on it, along with making it pretty compact. I took a few shots with it without ear pro on and it's definitely manageable but it's not something I'll do regularly. Below is video of my friend shooting my Omega and his SDN-6 back to back. We agreed that the Omega was quieter at least to us.

The only negative has more to do with me being left handed than the Omega itself. Every time I pulled the trigger I got a money shot of gas to the face which quickly got annoying. However when switching to shooting right handed it wasn't an issue at all. Needless to say I'll be getting an adjustable gas block, probably a SLR Rifleworks since they're on sale this weekend so anyone who owns them feel free to chime in.

Omega
http://youtu.be/Rxr5K4nep7A

SDN-6
http://youtu.be/ph92TOjA-e4

First thing I noticed on the sdn6 video "ping, ping, ping".
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
ok so I am about to pull the trigger on an Omega I think, but I have a question about the flat front cap.

what are the pros and cons of having a flat cap vs the  "brake" that is on the end of it? honestly, I hate the way it looks with the vented brake thing on the end and would much prefer to put a flat cap on it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

ok so I am about to pull the trigger on an Omega I think, but I have a question about the flat front cap.

what are the pros and cons of having a flat cap vs the  "brake" that is on the end of it? honestly, I hate the way it looks with the vented brake thing on the end and would much prefer to put a flat cap on it.
View Quote
Flash sale at Capital Armory for $775...

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not seeing it, clicked on the "save $100" link but it still comes up as $875 with no mention of $775 anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the Anchor Brake works but not until you get up to some of the bigs like .308 Win and plus.  I don't notice the Anchor Brake on my Harvester on my H&R 300 blk.  But when shot on my .308 I can notice it with the can attached.  

Also the flat end cap makes it smaller too.  I bought one just to make it smaller.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think the Anchor Brake works but not until you get up to some of the bigs like .308 Win and plus.  I don't notice the Anchor Brake on my Harvester on my H&R 300 blk.  But when shot on my .308 I can notice it with the can attached.  

Also the flat end cap makes it smaller too.  I bought one just to make it smaller.
View Quote

Thats exactly why I want the flat cap, the Omega gets pretty tiny and light with direct thread and flat cap.  I just didn't know if the anchor brake had an actual function or not. I will be shooting 300blk only for the most part as I have a dedicated 5.56 suppressor already.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Finally received my Omega this week. I am a silencer rookie, so I have no real basis of comparison, but I am very happy with my purchase. Other than my DD 10.3 upper being overgassed, I was happy with the results of my first outing. I see this being the start of a gloriously painful addiction!
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I just received email notification from my dealer that my Form 4 was approved. Mailing date of March 9. Approved July 12. Back to dealer July 22.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:22:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Picked up my Omega the middle of this week.  Only suppressors that I have shot were old early 80's giant tubes for Mac-10's.

This thing was awesome.  Just the loss of concussion on my sbr made me happy.

Shot it with my .300 blkout REM700 bolt gun and it was beyond quiet.

I am very happy with my purchase.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just received email notification from my dealer that my Form 4 was approved. Mailing date of March 9. Approved July 12. Back to dealer July 22.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Over 4 months... Damn. I was hoping to have mine by August but looks like it ain't going to happen. May 10 pending on mine.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Can anyone tell me the exact length of the omega with the flat endcap installed, I cant find that anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I put this page up for some friends comparing the GMT-HALO to the Omega: http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=473

I have lengths and weights on there.

http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/FlatEndCapThreadMount_Length.png

View Quote
Thanks Man. I've been looking for some of that info.

Double checking, does 18.2 oz include only Omega, ASR mount & end cap? ASR barrel mounted comp not included, correct?

Thanks.

EDITED to clarify question.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Pretty damn impressive, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Wrong... Please read my text above the picture on my site.  
View Quote
I'm just dense tonight

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Paid for mine Sat. and sending off the paperwork today. I'm hoping to have it by Thanksgiving...... Its my first can, so the wait will suck like the wait for my first SBR I'm sure.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Paid for mine Sat. and sending off the paperwork today. I'm hoping to have it by Thanksgiving...... Its my first can, so the wait will suck like the wait for my first SBR I'm sure.
View Quote

Two weeks ago when I bought my Omega from Silencer Shop, I was told they're seeing Form 3's take 8 weeks and  Form 4's in the 4-5 month range.  If you're your transferring dealer already has the suppressor and you're submitting the Form 4, Thanksgiving is a possibility.

Mine is on a Form 3, so I'm looking at sometime in February next year, if it shows up sooner, I'll have cake.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Okay folks,  another range report for my Omega.

I shot 20 rounds out of my Rem 700 300 BLKOUT and it worked as before.  Great, quiet, and cool.

I moved the can to my 11.5 SBR (bare handed, it was that cool) and fired off about 5 rounds per sec on the first 6 or 7 rounds and then did a mag dump.  
Not as fast as I could pull the trigger, but about three rounds per sec.

The can was smoking and I smelled paint.  I let it cool down and placed it into my bag.  Was ready to roll out after some pistol shooting, so I did not inspect the can all that well.

I get home, and the paint has blistered in the middle on one side.  Looks like condensation on a beer bottle.  

Now, I know that paint jobs on cans don't last, but this was after only 30 rounds and this can is rated for FA.

Is this normal or might there be an issue?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Not normal to bubble but I ruined my paint job on my Saker after the first range trip (tried to take it off and it was way to hot.  Melted my gloves on the can) so don't feel bad.

Go get some VHT paint form auto parts store.  Works well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I think it's normal on the omega.  At least I've seen or heard about it on a couple occasions now.   Something about the finish not adhering to titanium?

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think it's normal on the omega.  At least I've seen or heard about it on a couple occasions now.   Something about the finish not adhering to titanium?

View Quote

Is this issue possibly known by SiCo?

I have concern because I was planning on using this for a two day carbine course.  I wonder about the rate of fire (600 rounds for each day) and the issue getting worse.

Still would not think that one mag would do that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#25]
My Omega did the same thing. In my opinion it's no big deal.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My Omega did the same thing. In my opinion it's no big deal.

View Quote

Cool, just wanted to make sure I was not screwing it up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:18:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I shot my omega today and went through a 30 round mag in less than a minute. It got very hot and smoked but the finish didn't bubble. This was on a 11.5 5.56 with brake. Maybe some brakes have better finish than others? Mine is in serial range 13XX.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#28]

So far, I like it best on .223 with that size end cap.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#29]
60 rounds of 308 (16") and 60 rounds of 556 (16") and my FDE Omega looks like this:

Looks even more varied in person, almost like it was intentionally camo'd.......

It was smoking like crazy after I ran the very first 20 rounds of 308 through it in about 25 seconds (course of fire, 2 rounds on 10 targets from 6 different positions)

I think it gives it character and that it is clearly not a safe queen.  But I can see where some people would not appreciate the look on a $1,200 suppressor.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Those people would be called "idiots" so we can safely discount what they think about heat discoloration.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
60 rounds of 308 (16") and 60 rounds of 556 (16") and my FDE Omega looks like this:

<a href="http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/scollins1868/media/15C92745-3E38-4BED-B71F-140A6D1AAFED_zpsj5eg85bb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/scollins1868/15C92745-3E38-4BED-B71F-140A6D1AAFED_zpsj5eg85bb.jpg</a>

Looks even more varied in person, almost like it was intentionally camo'd.......

It was smoking like crazy after I ran the very first 20 rounds of 308 through it in about 25 seconds (course of fire, 2 rounds on 10 targets from 6 different positions)

I think it gives it character and that it is clearly not a safe queen.  But I can see where some people would not appreciate the look on a $1,200 suppressor.....
View Quote

I'm sorry but the first day I get mine, I'm going to burn some mags through it and make it hot enough to light my cigar on it. I like my suppressors to look like my women, worn and used.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:20:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm sorry but the first day I get mine, I'm going to burn some mags through it and make it hot enough to light my cigar on it. I like my suppressors to look like my women, worn and used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/scollins1868/media/15C92745-3E38-4BED-B71F-140A6D1AAFED_zpsj5eg85bb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/scollins1868/15C92745-3E38-4BED-B71F-140A6D1AAFED_zpsj5eg85bb.jpg</a>

Hopefully no baffle strikes, I might get a little loose
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full auto rated can on the ASR mount backing off? Hopefully not.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing... And was hoping that was never the case since I am waiting on one
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I haven't seen one come off while shooting but I've seen two that could just grab and pull off with the collar locked.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#36]
It might get a little loose
View Quote

Well he did say he likes his suppressors like he likes his women.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
It might get a little loose

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I finally got my Omega in last week, and will be going out to shoot it tomorrow. It's primary host is a Ruger American Ranch in 300 blackout. I had Jake at Quiet Riot Firearms Cerakote everything in Magpul FDE.
</a>" />
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I finally got my Omega in last week, and will be going out to shoot it tomorrow. It's primary host is a Ruger American Ranch in 300 blackout. I had Jake at Quiet Riot Firearms Cerakote everything in Magpul FDE.
http://<a href=http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/skipper469/image.jpg3_zpsxgehz209.jpg</a>" />
<a href="http://s818.photobucket.com/user/skipper469/media/image.jpg1_zpsq0wgdnee.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz106/skipper469/image.jpg1_zpsq0wgdnee.jpg</a>
View Quote

That looks great.

Can we have a side shot of your stick?

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Only other pick I have now. But will put up a better one shortly.
" />
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I ordered an Omega earlier today from Mile High... very excited.  I just noticed from the confirmation email that I got a very low serial #02XX.  Has anyone else seen a serial number down in the 200's?  Everyone seems to be talking about their Omegas being in the 12XX or 13XX range.  Just curious
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#42]
So as an FYI for everyone with an Omega, you do lose some sound reduction when changing to the flat cap or direct thread.

According to SilencerCo, going from ASR mount to direct thread: + 2dB, Break to flat cap: + 2dB

So in its shortest configuration, the Omega will be approx 4dB louder.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So as an FYI for everyone with an Omega, you do lose some sound reduction when changing to the flat cap or direct thread.

According to SilencerCo, going from ASR mount to direct thread: + 2dB, Break to flat cap: + 2dB

View Quote

Swapping from break cap to 5.56 flat cap knocks a couple of dB's off.

I haven't yet used a flat 7.62 cap but I'm not buying those numbers, it makes no sense at all.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:52:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I haven't yet used a flat 7.62 cap but I'm not buying those numbers, it makes no sense at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had seen a few reports of dB gain from front cap change, and didn't see why, so I called SilencerCo as I have one on the way and was curious. Explanation of the front stack was it redirects the sound in multiple directions, lowering the overall report. The ASR mount adds volume to the can, increasing its suppression level. Direct mount is smaller, thus shrinking the internal volume, increasing the noise that is let out.

Seems plausible, but I'll try all 4 combinations once I get it (in 6 months), if someone impartial hasn't already.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:36:58 AM EDT
[#45]
finally getting my first can. Im torn between this and the 762sdn6 (because I've already got 51t mounts laying around and the dealer has them in stock)

Question about what it all comes stock with for mounting.

My plan would be to run it direct thread onto my 308 and use the asr/brake on my 556, both with flat end caps.(short as possible)

Would I have to order any additional mounting gear on top of what it comes with?
Can I have them send the brake it comes stock with for the asr mount in 1/2x28 rather than 5/8x24?

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:19:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
finally getting my first can. Im torn between this and the 762sdn6 (because I've already got 51t mounts laying around and the dealer has them in stock)

Question about what it all comes stock with for mounting.

My plan would be to run it direct thread onto my 308 and use the asr/brake on my 556, both with flat end caps.(short as possible)

Would I have to order any additional mounting gear on top of what it comes with?
Can I have them send the brake it comes stock with for the asr mount in 1/2x28 rather than 5/8x24?

View Quote

It comes pre packaged with the 5/8x24 brake so swaping it out is between your dealer and you.  All you would need is a ASR mount in 1/2x28. Imo the Omega is a better bang for your $ than the sdn6.

I don't get why people get so wrapped up in the mount situation. Your about to spend over $1000 on a can and your going to let a few $75-$125 mounts get in your way?  I had a bunch of 51T mounts before I bought cans (which till to this day I don't know why I had them) and switched them all to Saker/ASR mounts.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I had seen a few reports of dB gain from front cap change, and didn't see why, so I called SilencerCo as I have one on the way and was curious. Explanation of the front stack was it redirects the sound in multiple directions, lowering the overall report. The ASR mount adds volume to the can, increasing its suppression level. Direct mount is smaller, thus shrinking the internal volume, increasing the noise that is let out.

Seems plausible, but I'll try all 4 combinations once I get it (in 6 months), if someone impartial hasn't already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've tried all the different mounts on my Omega and can't tell one from the other.  My 8" direct thread 300blk sounds the exact same as my 10.5" 300blk.  Maybe on a sound meter it shows up but my human ear can't tell.  I don't chase DBs.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#48]
the brake cap doesn't actually make it quieter, it just directs more sound away from the meter
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Don't you get another mount wh n you register the omega?  Thought I read here a lot of people are getting the 556 mount that way?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top