Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2014 12:00:37 PM EDT
Here is my .30 caliber titanium Form 1 build.  Ratchet QD.  1.5" OD, 9.2" long.  All titanium except 4140 baffles.  Intent for this was to be a "do all" can, from subsonic .300 blackout to supersonic .308.  User serviceable, because I am not set up to weld titanium, but if it was welded I would think it could handle .300 Win Mag.  Ended up weighing 22 oz.

Design:

Finished:

Ratchet close ups, this is retained by a 4-40 stainless set screw which acts as the pivot and actuated by a 0.035" thick spring.  The spring design took me the longest of any other single part of this can, a lot of trial and error.  It is made from A2 and heat treated and drawn back to about 55 RC.  It's 0.065" thick and unlike the AAC design it relies on a single pawl.

Endcap removed.  Dirty, from 300 BO subs.  As I was processing the parts I realized I had a little spanner wrench in my toolbox but it wasn't for anything, so rather than the design shown in my models, I just did a hole pattern to match.

Regarding concerns about thread separation and leakage under heat on a non-welded can- I used 18 TPI threads, and the shoulders of both endcaps have rebated profiles which match chamfered shoulders on the exterior tube.  My hope being that when assembled the caps are able to retain the tube as it heats up.  Whether that's effective or not I don't know, so far it's stood up fine to repeated firing of full power 6.5x55.  When my AK SBR is complete, we'll see how it works there.  If I end up blowing the endcap off, well, that will be time to learn how to weld Titanium.

I didn't remove the mounting endcap, as it's rockset in place.  Here are the baffles.  They are 4140 cones, milled to the profile shown in the models, with the Ti spacers pressed on.  They were pressed and then turned between centers to fit the bored ID of the exterior tube.

Testing repeatability and POI shift on the rifle that did this:

15 shot group: 5 suppressed, remove suppressor shoot 5 unsuppressed, reinstall suppressor and 5 more suppressed(lower right hand group a test load):

Knowing what I know now, I would change some things and will do so on future cans.  I will also probably build a dedicated .300 BO can in the future since this is effective but I think it would rate poorly in a size/weight:performance ratio compared to other cans meant for subs only.  I think it's perfect for a supersonic can, and it's extremely effective on quieting the 6.5x55, with an excellent tone (crack, woosh).  I had taken video of shooting the above group and ratcheting the can on and off the rifle, but my camerawoman forgot she had her new toy set to SLOW motion so I'm not sure it's worth posting.  I will look at it tonight and see.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
is the part shown in orange 4140 as well? Great looking can.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Really nice can, looks well bit, with that length should be a good performer also.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
is the part shown in orange 4140 as well? Great looking can.
View Quote

Thanks!

The part in question is titanium.  I couldn't find enough titanium barstock to do all the baffles for a price I could swallow at the time, so I only bought a 4" chunk to do the end caps and that support.

I'll be keeping an eye on Ebay to try and build up a supply so next time I don't have to settle.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Much cheaper to buy drop on Ebay.  Grade 5 bar or Grade 9 tube is what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
That.  Is.  Awesome.

Tagged for further reading later.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Much cheaper to buy drop on Ebay.  Grade 5 bar or Grade 9 tube is what you're looking for.
View Quote

I get all sorts of random drops on Ebay.  SS, Ti, Inconel, etc.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never looked for Inconel, but I should.  How much does a 1.5" OD bar, say 4-6" long go for?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've never looked for Inconel, but I should.  How much does a 1.5" OD bar, say 4-6" long go for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably about $50 shipped.  It's all a matter of what's listed when you're looking.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#10]
That's awesome! Wish I had the funds and space for the tools...and skill to use them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's awesome! Wish I had the funds and space for the tools...and skill to use them.
View Quote

Benefit of the job
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey where did all your pics go?
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

yea this
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:31:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I sent him a PM asking about it.  Hope he will post them back up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#16]
pics no worky for me...
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#17]
If you google image search "kuraki titanium ratchet" you can view some thumb nails from this thread and his thread on the other forum.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:36:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I will repost in the OP.  I didn't realize anyone was still viewing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top