Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2014 11:36:54 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I recently bought a SOCOM 762 MINI and installed a brake on my 10.3 Inch MK18 Upper. I'm experiencing some massive gas leakage out the back of the mount. I'm 100% sure its was snug when fired. I had no issues with the can while shooting  on my 16 inch upper (with brake) and 10.5 LMT upper (with 3 Prong). I understand the new mount design was the prevent this exact issue?

Below pictures are exactly 100 rounds with the New Brake installed. For the SBR brake guys, is this normal? Any input or questions would be very welcomed.

Note:
- Buildup/damage to the rail in the 1st picture
- Seems like the  leak is coming from the index tab (2nd & 3rd pic).

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I get blowback out of the back of my two SOCOMs but that seems excessive. Call SF tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 556 and a 762, both running on 5.56 rifles.  Not minis.  I just went and looked at mine after seeing your picture, and noticed that there is a bit of carbon on the outer ring at that location on the 762, but nothing anywhere near what you have there.  That's after well over 500 rounds (I shoot the 556 can more and there is no sign of carbon in this location on that one).  I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't read this post.
Definitely contact SF.  One of their reps (Kudu22) is on this site.  I'm sure they will get it straightened out.
Edit:  Both cans spend most of their time on 10.5" barrels, with occasional runs on a 16".  Always with a brake, not a FH.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:08:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I checked all the rifles I run multiple SF cans on and did not see anything resembling what you are getting, also the line left on the brake by the locking ring looks too far forward.  This is just a thought but is it possible you didn't have the can seated fully over the indexing ridge?  I don't see how gas could escape at the point right behind that ridge, on the lock ring,  if it was seated into the can fully.  You said you recently acquired this can, have you ran a SF RC before.  They can be VERY HARD to seat fully into the can when new or when carbon is present.  The can will still lock up and stay in place even when not indexed properly, but gas will be channeled out that slot in the can with extreme prejudice....  Ask how I know

ETA: clarification, the can can still feel snug and locked up tight as a safe and not be seated over the indexing post. It can take a very firm back-and-forth wiggle to get the can seated correctly on a new brake.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I could be wrong... But it looks like the indexing point on the brake looks off to me...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I checked all the rifles I run multiple SF cans on and did not see anything resembling what you are getting, also the line left on the brake by the locking ring looks too far forward.  This is just a thought but is it possible you didn't have the can seated fully over the indexing ridge?  I don't see how gas could escape at the point right behind that ridge, on the lock ring,  if it was seated into the can fully.  You said you recently acquired this can, have you ran a SF RC before.  They can be VERY HARD to seat fully into the can when new or when carbon is present.  The can will still lock up and stay in place even when not indexed properly, but gas will be channeled out that slot in the can with extreme prejudice....  Ask how I know  

ETA: clarification, the can can still feel snug and locked up tight as a safe and not be seated over the indexing post. It can take a very firm back-and-forth wiggle to get the can seated correctly on a new brake.  
View Quote

This is VERY possible, and if so, OP is lucky the can did not fly downrange. You need to be sure that it is CORRECTLY locked. That said, maybe Kudu22 will see this thread, or you can E-mail him/call him tomorrow. He is very responsive to E-mail's, though, if you like.

His name is Garin Lee, and he makes sure that SF's suppressor customers are taken care of. After he looks at these pictures, he may have better and more informed advice.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This guy has it right.  I really have to push down hard to grt my suppressors on all the way. They still lock up when not seated all the way but I noticed the locking ring stopping earlier than normal when twisting the ring tight.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#7]
OP any update on your issue? Would like to know if it was user error or MFG error.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm heading out the range this week to try to replicate the issue and will make sure the suppressor is seated all the way down before tightening up the mount. Just think its odd it didn't happen when mounted on my other two rifles. Will update soon.

EDIT: Garin responded back saying the gas leakage is normal out of an 5.56 SBR due to the higher velocity of gas and unburnt powder. He didn't specify if using a brake would exacerbate the issue but I would assume so since the gas is being redirected to the sides and back.  This is probably why I didn't experience any massive leakage on my other 10.5 inch SBR when using the 3 prong Mount. He didn't say it was unsafe to shoot so I'll let you guys know after my range trip this week.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:53:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I shot a new Mk18 with SF brake and (new) 556RC can and I did get some of what was pictured but not near as much.  Mostly a little black coming out by the lug and some on the rail.  Also had a little black on the back of the suppressor.  I did see this thread before I went to the range and I tried to make sure the can was on properly.  I fired approx. 100 rnds too and I think most of that occurred in the first 50 rnds.  Just my observation.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I have this exact same issue with my SF SOCOM Mini 762.  However, I think that is the way they are designed to minimize gas blowback as mine has virtually none.  However, I end up with a case of "black finger" after shooting the gun and the positioning of my hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top