Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2014 10:09:29 PM EDT
I posted this in the 1911 section and they suggested posting here for any inputs.

I currently planning a Form 1 suppressor build for on my GSG 1911-22. How safe would it be to notch the slide to where the slide stop would lock the slide to prevent cycling for a quieter shot? FYI, I would never consider doing this on a 45, this isn't me beating around the bush to not look crazy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I use my thumb on the back of the slide on my Buckmark.

Slide stop is probably stronger than my thumb.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use my thumb on the back of the slide on my Buckmark.

Slide stop is probably stronger than my thumb.
View Quote

Yep, just use your thumb.
I've done this on my mp22& g21
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Won't that break ones thumb?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Take a guess how many times I've broken my thumbs doing this.

You can do the same on many center-fire pistols. Until the barrel unlocks from the slide, it doesn't take much to hold the slide in place.

Of course, here, we're talking about a rimfire pistol.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:55:16 AM EDT
[#5]
For my 22/45. I just hold my thumb over the back. It kicks back harder then a center fire but it doesn't kick that hard. Although this is in striker fire pistols. Something tells me the hammer might get in the way.

Also with .22's if you hold the round in the chamber your putting a lot of stress on the extractor since it wasn't helped by the rounds pressure when you do rack the slide.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#6]
you might want to just try shooting it an letting the slide cycle first to see if it's even worth it to you.  I just shot my GSG .22 cal 1911 supressed for the first time a little over a week ago an was pleased with how quiet it was.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
There's a video on YouTube of someone using their thumb on a G20 to stop it from cycling.  .22lr is no problem - this is what I do on my SIG conversion.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's a video on YouTube of someone using their thumb on a G20 to stop it from cycling.  .22lr is no problem - this is what I do on my SIG conversion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it wrong I went to search for the video, and after him saying how much it hurt his palm that I was disappointed his thumb didn't snap?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The hammer makes that a little difficult. I would imagine if a thumb can hold it that the slide stop can hold it as well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The slide stop is normally held in place with the forward push of the compressed recoil spring when the slide is back. Even if you notch the slide, what will hold the slide stop up when the slide is forward?

I have held the slide in place on my gsg 1911-22 with my thumb. You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Even if you notch the slide, what will hold the slide stop up when the slide is forward?
View Quote

My left thumb.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are videos online of guys doing it with centerfire Glocks.  As long as the slide stays in battery it doesn't take much force to keep it shut.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top