Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2014 10:02:52 PM EDT
I'm wanting to join the suppressed crowd , I know a trust is the way to go , any recommendations on an online site to use or is it best to go through a lawyer that does trusts near me ? Any info is greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Depends on your needs, and how much you are willing to pay.

For me, I just wanted a trust, fast and easy. So I went with the one that Silencerco offers on their website.

I think there is an arfcom industry partner that also does trusts.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently used these guys, they advertise in the NFA section here on arfcom.  They were very responsive to emails and I received my trusty the day after I gave them the info they requested.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#3]
i used a local attorney (BOISE,ID.) it cost a bit more but i think it is worth it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I used an attorney as well. I used this guy. Very responsive and an NFA enthusiast himself. He set up the trust and sent it to me for signatures and notarization. I called twice with questions and he took my calls fast. Did the paper work and sent it back to him. Now he has an executed copy as well. Very nice guy. I would highly recommend him.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Just curious what y'all are paying local attorneys to setup a trust? I just had mine done (Louisiana) and it cost me $300. Didn't think it was too bad, considering he came highly recommended but I have nothing to compare to.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:52:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I paid  $450.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:55:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I used quicken will maker.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I used the Silencershops' trust, they are a site sponsor
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I just had one set up through silencershop.com
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I used a free revokable living trust template and set up 6 trusts. 2 own NFA items so far, and Im waiting on more cash for form 1s for the rest. The money I saved on laywers paid for my form1 can including the tax ;)
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I used 199trust.com which is a NFA specific trust.  $79.  Have 4 cans on it so far.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:56:34 AM EDT
[#12]
$400. Unlimited, lifetime amendments.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I used a cheap $50 online fill in the blanks trust. It worked great. No problems what so ever.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used quicken will maker.
View Quote

+1 for Quicken.

I used the 2009 version and GTG.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/434977_Best_place_for_a_Trust_for_NFA_Items_.html
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#16]
199trust.com

But I would go through silencer shop if I had to do it again.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

199trust.com
But I would go through silencer shop if I had to do it again.
View Quote

Any specific reason? there is a thread in GD about Gearhog having a sale on them today (Thanksgiving) through 12/1 for $59, and they go through 199trust.com...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1691048_gearhog_has_nfa_trusts_onsale_for__59_00_again.html

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#18]
My dealer set up a trust when I bought a suppressor. It was included in the $350 for the Spectre II.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone looking for a Trust, its dirt cheap right now. Here is a link to $59 Trust

(this is a referral link, I get credit if you buy)
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I used an attorney as well. I used this guy. Very responsive and an NFA enthusiast himself. He set up the trust and sent it to me for signatures and notarization. I called twice with questions and he took my calls fast. Did the paper work and sent it back to him. Now he has an executed copy as well. Very nice guy. I would highly recommend him.
View Quote

Why did u send him a copy? just curious
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone ever compare the internet ones vs. the ones drafted by a lawyer?  I'm curious and apprehensive as many say the lawyer ones are better etc.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I did mine through 199trust. They have provisions in there for death of primary trustee, you can have co trustees and there is a benefactor as well. Seems good to me so far.

They include all documents you may need to amend the trust as well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I did 199trust.com as well. Only problems I had was it took a few emails to correct issues with some layouts of trustees on there. You also have to email him for any adjustments to the trust unless you do what some do and get a PDF cracker. If you PDF crack it you can edit with word and turn it back into a PDF.

Other issues people have said the 199trust guy is not a lawyer (or so Im told) but the trust was done by a lawyer, not sure how that works but it is well worded and I am happy with my 199trust.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#24]
The thing to remember is that unless your trust is totally jacked up, IT WILL BE JUST FINE.

Take the collection of different responses here - some have this in it, some have that.  Some reference NFA, others do not.  Some are el chepo Interweb downloads, others were written by the Johnny Cochran Law Firm for $16,000.

Each and every valid trust works just fine.  I've used one for four different NFA items and it neither references "NFA" or "Revocation" anywhere in it.  My father and brother-in-law are attorneys and they said it was irrelevant - and guess what?  Surprise, it is irrelevant.  A valid trust is a trust, period.

Do what you wish but don't take the word of ARFCOM basement lawyers as fact - any trust valid and properly executed in your state will be approved.

Choose an industry partner here or someone that's been used many times and you're going to be fine.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Other issues people have said the 199trust guy is not a lawyer (or so Im told) but the trust was done by a lawyer, not sure how that works but it is well worded and I am happy with my 199trust.
View Quote

Let's hope that's not the case.  Practicing law without a license is a felony is most states, and is a misdemeanor is all others (as in - it's a crime everywhere).  This includes providing legal advice and/or providing or preparing legal documents on another's behalf.

I'd be shocked if that guy isn't a lawyer.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Just my observation on two of the DIY trusts.  I ordered the one from Silencershop.  It looks very professional and they took the time to answer questions and make clarifications on terms that were slightly different than other DIY trusts were using.  A friend of mine through work ordered the 199trust from QRF.  I was not impressed at all.  It had hand written notations on the example pages and under beneficiaries it had property divided up by percentages.  How do you leave someone 33.3% of a suppressor or 50% of a SBR?  Other than that the two were basically the same except the one from SS had instructions on how to open a bank account for the trust and get a tax number from the IRS.  

I think I paid $50.00 more for mine but I feel very confident in the product I received.  I called around to find a local attorney and was quoted $600 for the trust and $150 for amendments.  WTF?

I found these websites to be helpful in making the choice between attorney and DIY:

http://ncsilencer.blogspot.com/2011/09/truth-about-nfa-trusts.html
http://blog.princelaw.com/2011/01/12/gun-nfa-trust-frequently-asked-questions/
http://blog.princelaw.com/2011/01/12/gun-nfa-trust-frequently-asked-questions/

I made notes on relevant data (ie some states require a trust to hold property to be valid from day 1, beneficiaries can not use or posses trust property, some states require a trust to be registered ect) and had my questions ready before and after purchase.

For my situation and needs the SS DIY seems adequate.  If someone had a larger NFA collection or a lot of beneficiaries then maybe it would meet their needs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top