BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 45
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As of today, Silencer Shop is changing its business model somewhat. Silencer Shop Direct fees have gone away in favor of a Buy-It-Local concept where they still handle all the paperwork but now it's like you're ordering the item through your local dealer, so all orders will be charged the sales tax of the dealer you choose. We'll see how it goes over...  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AAC M4-2000 - $615.00 at Silencer Shop

http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/5-56mm-rifle/aac-m4-2000.html

Griffin Spartan 3 (direct thread) - $494.00 (down $56)

http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/5-56mm-rifle/griffin-armament-spartan-3.html?

Weird  stuff going on with prices at Silencer Shop.  Specwar 556k is up $18, Griffin M4SDK is up $90.  Lots of price changes.

As of today, Silencer Shop is changing its business model somewhat. Silencer Shop Direct fees have gone away in favor of a Buy-It-Local concept where they still handle all the paperwork but now it's like you're ordering the item through your local dealer, so all orders will be charged the sales tax of the dealer you choose. We'll see how it goes over...  

Wait... you mean local transfer fee? Or do you mean local state sales tax? Or both together? That's a potentially big difference.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Wait... you mean local transfer fee? Or do you mean local state sales tax? Or both together? That's a potentially big difference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/5-56mm-rifle/griffin-armament-spartan-3.html?
Weird  stuff going on with prices at Silencer Shop.  Specwar 556k is up $18, Griffin M4SDK is up $90.  Lots of price changes.

Local sales tax. Still no extra transfer fee (at least not for us).

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't say I'm especially excited about that. We've got some pretty high sales tax here.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Can't say I'm especially excited about that. We've got some pretty high sales tax here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. All that would do is prevent me from buying something from them. Many people buy it online to avoid high sales tax rates.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

All depends on the can. I'm sure you'd rather pay the sales tax on a rimfire can, but may prefer the transfer fee on a higher priced centerfire rifle can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All depends on the can. I'm sure you'd rather pay the sales tax on a rimfire can, but may prefer the transfer fee on a higher priced centerfire rifle can.

The SS Direct fee is more expensive than the $50 transfer fee I get charged at my local dealer. It was better for me to order, well, direct from Silencer Shop than to use their SS Direct service (which I fully understand is not the case for many others)

With the buy it local thing, is SS selling it to the dealer for below retail, and the dealer is charging the same price as SS, and the dealer doesn't charge a transfer fee because he kind of selling it local? In other words SS is acting as a distributor instead of a retailer?

ETA: Here is a post that explains a little, but doesn't mention anything about the sales tax. I'm curious how local shops are compensated for their participation, though.

http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/powered-by-silencer-shop-and-buy-it-local.276820/
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Capital armory is about to get a bunch of my money
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was kinda thinking the same thing. Let's hope for some awesome deals coming soon!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#10]
From silencershop on the industry forum.

"We have changed to a distributor model. So you can purchase through us but not from us as in at the store. You can still buy in the store but it will be sent to another FFL."
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I see the Griffin Revo 9 at SS went up by $130.00..... Wow

Edit:  all things equal I would choose them over other places of business in the past, not any longer however.  Are they basically too big to lose out on our business? Another words do most of our local dealers order from them anyways?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

"We have changed to a distributor model. So you can purchase through us but not from us as in at the store. You can still buy in the store but it will be sent to another FFL."

View Quote

Wow. This seems to be the path once outfits get to a certain size. Major Malfunction, Allen Arms, etc and now SS.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Edit:  all things equal I would choose them over other places of business in the past, not any longer however.  Are they basically too big to lose out on our business? Another words do most of our local dealers order from them anyways?
View Quote
All the Griffin stuff went up ~$100 except the rimfire cans

I wonder if they are trying to push the business out to the individual dealers since they are now a distributor.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

So their prices went up and I've still got to wait on a form 3?  Looks like they're not getting any more of my money.

Griffin RECCE 5 is now $714 and RECCE 7 is now $804.  Those are both up almost $100 from last week.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So their prices went up and I've still got to wait on a form 3?  Looks like they're not getting any more of my money.

Griffin RECCE 5 is now $714 and RECCE 7 is now $804.  Those are both up almost $100 from last week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it sounds like prices went up $100 to cover the former $70 SS direct fee and whatever other gravy is rolled into it...

I looked at the dealers - the reason(s) i didn't do SS direct before is the closest dealer is 30+ miles away and is a guy that works out of house with a normal day and doesn't have regular hours. The closest (what appears to be a) storefront dealer on the list is 113 miles away ... yeah, that's not going to happen.

My transfer dealer also charges less than the old SS direct fee (and is closer than the closest SS direct dealer, and has regular business hours) - so I had no incentive to go with the SS direct program. Now less so with their new distributor model.

No biggie - there will be other dealers to fill the gap.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
As soon as we can login to the dealers admin page a lot of former SSD dealers will drop prices, but we haven't been able to login yet. The prices shown now are recommended prices...

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As soon as we can login to the dealers admin page a lot of former SSD dealers will drop prices, but we haven't been able to login yet. The prices shown now are recommended prices...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah those suggested prices will become normal since they won't Have to compete with ss. This only means more money for ss and screw the customer. Capital Armory here I come!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#18]
SS has been very good to me and provided excellent prices and service but this new business model defeats the entire purpose of why I was their customer in the first place.  I bought 7 cans for them this year and even ordered some accessories today.  I have used Capitol Armory as well and have been very happy with them too.  I am sure SS will continue to succeed and be profitable but as a Texas resident it doesn't make sense to wait on an in state form 3 and then get in line for a form 4.  I wish them the best, but Capitol Armory will just get more of my business.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn! Glad I placed my order with SS a few days before they pulled this
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Griffin Revolution 9 went from $580 to $710 (for example) plus the closest dealer on their list is 2 hours away (instead of the one I used two blocks over from me)

Guess I'll be shopping elsewhere for future cans
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#21]
SSD was good, but Capitol Armory exceeded my expectations. CA had already become the 1 stop shop for me. My last email to Torrey was replied to within 10 min at 11pm CST. Great cs and specials. However this SS change does seem strange for at least their general customers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
SSD was good, but Capitol Armory exceeded my expectations. CA had already become the 1 stop shop for me. My last email to Torrey was replied to within 10 min at 11pm CST. Great cs and specials. However this SS change does seem strange for at least their general customers.
View Quote

My Capitol Armory ordering experience was excellent as well and I certainly hope they don't go the SS route.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My Capitol Armory ordering experience was excellent as well and I certainly hope they don't go the SS route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your in Michigan so as long as you can get the item at a great price nothing changes for you. But I doubt the dealers are gonna give you deal, less competition.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#24]
There are plenty of other places for this discussion, guys.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Any super deals on MIST-22?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Would anyone be kind enough to link the major players when it comes to online suppressor deals?  I'm not happy with changes at Silencer Shop and will now be shopping around a lot.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Would anyone be kind enough to link the major players when it comes to online suppressor deals?  I'm not happy with changes at Silencer Shop and will now be shopping around a lot.
View Quote

Look through the older pages in the thread before people posted their dislike of SS in here. Common ones are Capital Armory, Cherokee Gun an Pawn, Hanson Brothers, Quiet Riot Firearms, Tar Heel State Firearms (mostly around holidays, not as many flash sales as the others)
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

These are the ones that I'm aware of

www.capitalarmory.com
Cherokee pawn
http://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_69
http://www.quietriotfirearms.com/Default.asp
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is a super deal?  The lowest I have seen is $499, here,
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I haven't shopped around for them...but THSF has the standard for $525 and the takedown for $545. Not sure if there's much negotiation room in those prices or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't shopped around for them...but THSF has the standard for $525 and the takedown for $545. Not sure if there's much negotiation room in those prices or not.

Looks like Capitol Armory has either model for $525
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I recall hearing about Cherokee Pawn a few times over the past several months in regards to deals. But I could never find out what their website is. Any chance you guys have it?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I recall hearing about Cherokee Pawn a few times over the past several months in regards to deals. But I could never find out what their website is. Any chance you guys have it?
View Quote

Lol.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:20:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

No website.  You have to call.  They are located in Canton, Georgia.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'd also put Tar Heel State Firearms in the mix. Yes, Scott is my local dealer, but plenty of people across the country have bought from him and also used his engraving services.
View Quote

I can echo this. He was one of the first people to have Omega's in stock and for less than other dealers. BW you should suggest to him to consider making the new delayed payment program a thing for all suppressors
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe someone needs to barter some and technical skill in exchange for a mini-4
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

While some of these other dealers do run better deals, I'm not sure that Silencer Shop's new program is going to have any real effect on folks outside of TX.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were $467 awhile back at Capitol -

Honestly now I'm a bit on the fence.
Looks like they're no longer porting them, so they're not subsonic with any ammo like they originally were.
Apparently they had an issue with removing the sleeve due to the port fouling the threads.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Looks like they're no longer porting them, so they're not subsonic with any ammo like they originally were.
Apparently they had an issue with removing the sleeve due to the port fouling the threads.
View Quote

When did they stop porting them?  I have one in the works right now, but it came from dealer stock so it was manufactured late last year.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Update: how about this?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BW you should suggest to him to consider making the new delayed payment program a thing for all suppressors

That'd be nice, wouldn't it? (I just texted him a link to your post)

Like 90-days same as cash at your local tire shop.

Update: how about this?

I'm good with that Has there been anymore word on Eform4 coming back this month or next, or has that changed
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Your in Michigan so as long as you can get the item at a great price nothing changes for you. But I doubt the dealers are gonna give you deal, less competition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd venture to say you're right. Speaking of deals, no stocking dealer within 3hrs of had deals when I was ready to purchase. Back on topic.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Salvo 12 $818 at West Fork Armory.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

When did they stop porting them?  I have one in the works right now, but it came from dealer stock so it was manufactured late last year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically the ports were so close to the threading of the outter sleeve, that they were fouling the threads and you couldn't remove the sleeve from the can.
Try tried moving them further, but apparently that didn't help.
So now they dont port them.
Which sucks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Salvo 12 $818 at West Fork Armory.

View Quote

Still needs a choke mount; I can't find it listed anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top