Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the 77/357 with a silencer sure sounds cool to me, but are there any benefits to it over getting the American Ranch in 300blk? 300blk should be more accurate and have longer range... not to mention the gun itself is half the price. I could use my EVO-9 on either (for subsonic).
View Quote

Ammo cost and availability mostly. There are a variety of flavors between subsonic .38 and full powered .357.

Plus having a revolver and rifle that shares a cartridge makes a nice woods package.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You're absolutely right. Im on the edge of building my town Ti can and moving the Mystic to another build.

Before I started looking at the SD Tactical "materials" I questioned my machining skills.

Quoted:

Guy on the forum and down the block from me did a F1 can. As i mentioned in the $100 suppressor thread. If you were to cover my 2 commercial and his BYO can. You'd be hard pressed to tell which is which (barring use of a high $$ Db meter) His POI @ 25yds (indoor range) was minimal, to say the least. Now how it performs @ 1 - 400 yds, that;s another story. BUT sine he is rolling his own. It's nothing to tailor the load to the gun / suppressor combo. My POI with a YHM 45 cobra on a rossi 92 in .357 is 1.5-2" @ 50tds with factory 125 's.  
Since my F1 is now approved, this weekend is build & function time. Just mentioning it as one can do a nice performance unit at home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok I have made up my mind to SBR a 77/357 like you...
Now just to find the best price and order one.
Any suggestions where to look?
This is going to be expensive

I looked for awhile. Bud's was the best deal going.

I considered Form 1ing a silencer to keep costs down. But if you are going to shoot it a lot, why not try and make it the best/quietest/most accurate.

Fun for sure.

Guy on the forum and down the block from me did a F1 can. As i mentioned in the $100 suppressor thread. If you were to cover my 2 commercial and his BYO can. You'd be hard pressed to tell which is which (barring use of a high $$ Db meter) His POI @ 25yds (indoor range) was minimal, to say the least. Now how it performs @ 1 - 400 yds, that;s another story. BUT sine he is rolling his own. It's nothing to tailor the load to the gun / suppressor combo. My POI with a YHM 45 cobra on a rossi 92 in .357 is 1.5-2" @ 50tds with factory 125 's.  
Since my F1 is now approved, this weekend is build & function time. Just mentioning it as one can do a nice performance unit at home.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't wait for completed pictures. If they did a takedown 77/357 I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can't wait for completed pictures. If they did a takedown 77/357 I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After reading this thread I am going to spring for the whole enchilada.
Order a 77/357,
Order a McGowen barrel,
File another form 1 SBR and figure out what glass to put on this.
Anyone else interested in a 1-10 twist barrel from McGowen?
I wonder if a few of us got together we could get a break (time,price or both)
View Quote

Yes.

I had a good conversation with the guys at PacNor. Their barrel blanks are 28". One 9" barrel was $590 for stainless.

BUT they said the remaining blank would be enough to make two more barrels. (Less fitting and threading).

That would bring costs down.

The Ruger barrel is plenty accurate. Plus you'd have to inlet the whole stock for the new barrel profile.

Just something to consider.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#6]
What would be the perfect barrel length for the .357mag?
In which all the powder is burned before the bullet leaves the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#7]
From my limited research, 10" seemed to be "max" velocities before deminishing returns.  

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks man, you really have me thinking about doing this as a next project.
Do you plan on using any optics, I'm not sure if a red dot  would do it for me..

Quoted:
From my limited research, 10" seemed to be "max" velocities before deminishing returns.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure I'm going to get crap for it, but I have a SWFA 3x15 that's going on top. It's probably overkill, but I like magnification.

I know man, this thread is like crack. I wasn't the original dealer either.

Quoted:
Do you plan on using any optics, I'm not sure if a red dot  would do it for me..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://thumbs.newschoolers.com/index.php?src=http://media.newschoolers.com/uploads/images/17/00/39/98/53/399853.jpeg&size=400x1000

I do try to come up with the occasional good idea. Most of the time they are alcohol fueled.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think a 1-4 is perfection

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Sold the SWFA 3-15x. Leaning towards a Vortex Diamondback.

Quoted:
I'm sure I'm going to get crap for it, but I have a SWFA 3x15 that's going on top. It's probably overkill, but I like magnification.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know much about the Vortex Diamondback, but I wish I didn't sell my 1.25 trijicon....it would come in handy right now..
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#14]
This is nothing more than a shameless bump back to the top.  

I've got to go on the hunt for one of these rifles.  This is too cool.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is nothing more than a shameless bump back to the top.  

I've got to go on the hunt for one of these rifles.  This is too cool.
View Quote

Right now, grab a gun looks to have them the cheapest.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I was going to drop it off for coating tomorrow, but with the scope change I need to wait a week or so...
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#17]
So I can't call the validity on this yet, but I was calling around the local dealers to see who I could get the cheapest 77/357 from.  The running answer I was given was the 77/357 has been discontinued.  Considering they called me back to let me know, I'm curious.

I can't seem to find anything online to verify.

On the phone with Ruger now.  

Edit:  Caller 12.  I doubt I'm going to stay on hold that long.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Say it ain't so.  

In stock:

BUDS

Price has gone up.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Say it ain't so.  

In stock:

BUDS

Price has gone up.

View Quote

Yup.  I'll probably go through Grab A Gun since their shipping to AK isn't insane.  Just waiting to see if some of the stuff I have for sale locally goes so I can free up funds.  Was going to be a purchase for this fall, but better safe than sorry I think.

Damn, short of selling one of my Wiley Clapp revolvers I'm not going to have the funds.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:29:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I am committed now...

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Yes!

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a set of 30mm rings (blued) and the original stock I will let go at fair prices if anyone is in need.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So I can't call the validity on this yet, but I was calling around the local dealers to see who I could get the cheapest 77/357 from.  The running answer I was given was the 77/357 has been discontinued.  Considering they called me back to let me know, I'm curious.

I can't seem to find anything online to verify.

On the phone with Ruger now.  

Edit:  Caller 12.  I doubt I'm going to stay on hold that long.
View Quote

Just got off the phone with Patricia from Ruger's Customer Service in NH. I asked her if the 77/357 was being discontinued and she was surprised and shocked. She stated they currently had no plans to discontinue it and if it was on the website, they were still selling it. She stated Bill Hicks, (Distributor) had just been shipped 93,( no typo, ninety three), of the rifles.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am committed now...

View Quote

What suppressor is that?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What suppressor is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What suppressor is that?

Looks like a liberty mystic
And that's a sexy photo
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm happy to hear that the dealer I talked to was full of it. gives me time to save up for one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Dropped off for cerakote.

I chose titanium for the color: Barrel, mystic, fixed barrel mount and spacer, rings, scope, trigger guard, safety and bolt handle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I chose titanium for the color: Barrel, mystic, fixed barrel mount and spacer, rings, scope, trigger guard, safety and bolt handle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Ha.

I know I won't get sympathy from my Alaska brothers, but I'm hoping that the snow and cold eases by the time I get it back and assembled for a proper range report.

Let's see/hear some other 77/357 projects for the time being.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.troll.me/images/why-2/why-do-you-tease-me.jpg

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Sadly I won't have an update for a while. I just submitted my form 1. Going to have Mcgowen put me a 1-10 twist ss barrel on it...  This going to be a long 16 weeks
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I am curious which suppressor is going to sound better I have a liberty Mystic, liberty Infinity, AAC Evo 9, Octane 45 to try
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I bet it will depend on the ammo you are running, but the mystic is the longest and probably has the most volume.

Can't wait to see the McGowan barrel.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I must have just missed you at Trevor's.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll go for pickup. I can't wait.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Scratch that. I went with Tungsten. I got my periodic table jumbled.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

You chose the color of your rifle based on the periodic table of elements?

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Nah. Just a poor attempt at humor. I knew it was a metal that started with T.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Pre-finishing:

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Have one, love it, not gonna SBR or suppress it, but wanna tag this for pictures.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#41]
You 77/357 owners loading heavy CB's might be interested in this. Midway had a clearance on a one out 245gr mold last week so I grabbed it along with a Vortex 2-7x32 Dead-Hold BDC

Here is a pic of the 245gr next to a Lee 158gr SWC-GC. Throws close to nominal with WW, maybe a grain or two heavier with Pure Lead. I will be powder coating some and trying to work up a sub load when my rifle gets back from threading. It might load from the mag with 38SPL brass, not sure yet. Otherwise single loading in 357Mag brass.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#42]
What hight of rings do I need for this rifle? I'm planning on using a Leupold vxr 1-4 patrol. How low can I go?
Thanks

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What hight of rings do I need for this rifle? I'm planning on using a Leupold vxr 1-4 patrol. How low can I go?
Thanks
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu192/ajcmpeterson/CAM01950_zps05cb24f5.jpg
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu192/ajcmpeterson/CAM01951_zpscc199965.jpg
View Quote

The mediums it came with will work fine.  Might be able to get away with low rings, but I'd be concerned about the bolt handle hitting the rear bell of the scope.

You should have (I think) a #4 and #5 rings with the 5 mounting at the rear.  I'd try with the #4 on the rear and see if anything contacts the bolt or receiver.  Not perfect but it could work for a ballpark check.

Also, you are making me jealous.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#44]
One more pic of the Saeco 352 245gr, this time with a 246gr Hunters Specialties pill. Both of them mic undersized, well under the .359 on the HS box anyway. Powder Coat will bring up the 352 some. I load for a 35 Rem T/C Contender and use the 300gr HS with good results. I will use these 246 and 245 cb's in that and the 77/357

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Fresh coat preview:

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Has anyone been able to find a mag extension like the 10/22? I hate the current design
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#47]

One word:  SWEET!!!!!

I'll have to live vicariously through you for now.  The gun fund is having to go to fix the kids transmission........Sooner or later he'll graduate college and get to do all this himself.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:48:47 AM EDT
[#48]
I agree, very nice. Wish mine was not at a stand still. Trying to decide if i should get the factory barrel threaded while I wait for the McGowan...    they said 20+ - weeks on my barrel.
Postban keep us updated on those 245 grain pills I am interested to see if they can feed from the mag.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I agree, very nice. Wish mine was not at a stand still. Trying to decide if i should get the factory barrel threaded while I wait for the McGowan...    they said 20+ - weeks on my barrel.
Postban keep us updated on those 245 grain pills I am interested to see if they can feed from the mag.
View Quote

IIRC they will feed from the mag, but they need to be loaded in 38spl brass.  If loaded in mag brass to mag length they bulge the case too much cause they have to be shoved in the case so far.  Somebody, I can't remember who now, has had one of these done for a couple years now.  I got that info from his posts when he was working up loads.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

IIRC they will feed from the mag, but they need to be loaded in 38spl brass.  If loaded in mag brass to mag length they bulge the case too much cause they have to be shoved in the case so far.  Somebody, I can't remember who now, has had one of these done for a couple years now.  I got that info from his posts when he was working up loads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use Federal 38spcl brass. There could be other brass that works but I know Remington won't and federal will.

Federal brass even worked with the 300 grainers.

Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top