BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a 38 special lever gun.........love it suppressed.  That being said, Id like to see a 77/357 cut short.....cut down the forearm shorter, short.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s10.photobucket.com/user/rc51kid/media/008.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/rc51kid/008.jpg</a>

All that being said i still drool over the SBR bolt action. I just cant decide what way to go. 357 or 44 mag bolt gun, or lever gun or even 45/70 sub sonic in a lever gun. But i do want some type of "repeater".

I have a 38 special lever gun.........love it suppressed.  That being said, Id like to see a 77/357 cut short.....cut down the forearm shorter, short.

I'm going down to 8" for the bbl... I'm pretty sure I am going to just carve out the forearm and not cut it down. We'll see how it goes though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm going down to 8" for the bbl... I'm pretty sure I am going to just carve out the forearm and not cut it down. We'll see how it goes though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s10.photobucket.com/user/rc51kid/media/008.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/rc51kid/008.jpg</a>

All that being said i still drool over the SBR bolt action. I just cant decide what way to go. 357 or 44 mag bolt gun, or lever gun or even 45/70 sub sonic in a lever gun. But i do want some type of "repeater".

Sweet. Lemme know and post pics.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#3]
i might have missed this info. But what is the twist of the 77/357? How would the 77/357 stack up against the 77/44 for down range terminal ballistics for a SUB SONIC load? I have both Octane 9 and 45. the subsonic 3 cal bullet looks likes it might be longer and thinner. flying a little better but smaller hole. the 44 might be bigger, heavier and with more FTP. Anyone have nay real info?
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This sounds like a good idea. I have a Mauser action i am about to sell that was begging for a 45ACP build. But it needs to be a SBR. Not 16"

The Handi is just so damn good as a suppressed 38 rifle. I really want to build a repeater but it will be major financial investment. which means i want to do it  only once. I am still trying to decide between  bolt action and lever gun. and then 38/357 or 44 mag. I have cans for both and i reload. I was actually really close to going 45/70 with 350gr subsonic. But i could not get the go ahead through the Octane 45.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought about it long and hard too. I really want an SBR lever gun (Grizzly Customs) but lever guns are just not great target guns. Plus, with a tube fed gun you are a little more limited in the ammo you can run.

A 45/70 suppressed gun would be fun and pack a punch. Doesn't Bowers make a reasonably priced big bore can?
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I thought about it long and hard too. I really want an SBR lever gun (Grizzly Customs) but lever guns are just not great target guns. Plus, with a tube fed gun you are a little more limited in the ammo you can run.

A 45/70 suppressed gun would be fun and pack a punch. Doesn't Bowers make a reasonably priced big bore can?
View Quote

Yes. Tromix will be offering .458 Socom barrels and bolts for the Mossberg MVP soon. You can run 500-600 grain subsonics out of the .458 Socom. It will be my next firearm purchase

.458 Socom also can use all the same bullets as a 45/70 and can fit in an AR15 magazine. .
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes....the Vers50.  All that being said, what are you going to ask of a SBR'd lever gun that it isnt going to be able to deliver?  38 and 44 special are a hoot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes....the Vers50.  All that being said, what are you going to ask of a SBR'd lever gun that it isnt going to be able to deliver?  38 and 44 special are a hoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More of an ergonomics issue than anything else. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a bipod, and working the lever on the bench just isn't as clean as working a bolt gun.

Plus, I noticed my wadcutters nose up against the primer of the round in front of it when stacked.

Still want a SBR/suppressed lever gun someday, but it will be a different animal. Iron sights, etc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#9]
If Silancerco would just have given me the thumbs up for SUBSONIC 45/70 through the Octane 45 i would have been all over it. I would have done a 16" 45/70 Marline lever gun. Then run supersonic for hunting/grizzly self defense. Subsonic for quiet stuff with a SERIOUS punch! 300-400gr at 950 FPS all day long.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If Silancerco would just have given me the thumbs up for SUBSONIC 45/70 through the Octane 45 i would have been all over it. I would have done a 16" 45/70 Marlin lever gun. Then run supersonic for hunting/grizzly self defense. Subsonic for quiet stuff with a SERIOUS punch! 300-400gr at 950 FPS all day long.
View Quote

This exact setup is on my short list. Just need to get the vers50 to start the train rollin.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  This sounds like a good idea. I have a Mauser action i am about to sell that was begging for a 45ACP build. But it needs to be a SBR. Not 16"

The Handi is just so damn good as a suppressed 38 rifle. I really want to build a repeater but it will be major financial investment. which means i want to do it  only once. I am still trying to decide between  bolt action and lever gun. and then 38/357 or 44 mag. I have cans for both and i reload. I was actually really close to going 45/70 with 350gr subsonic. But i could not get the go ahead through the Octane 45.
View Quote

http://www.valkyriearms.com/delisle.html

http://www.lane-products.com/products/scorpion-458.html
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I just noticed that ADCO won't thread Ruger Model 77's. Any idea why?

Does anyone have a trusted source for threading the 77/357?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Form 1 Approved.

Shipping off tomorrow for barrel cut/crown/thread.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Form 1 Approved.

View Quote

Who did you find to do it?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Form 1 Approved.

Class3machining.com (easttxhunter) $75 round trip.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_143/1029861_Barrel_Threading_sale__50__Bolt_Knobs_threaded_for__40__Can_do_Mini_14_s__PTR_91__Tavors__Augs.html&page=1
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I know this is more of a reloading question, but I figured its more specific to .38/.357 anyway.

Does anyone have a good subsonic .38 spc load for pushing 180 grain jacketed bullets?

I know cast bullets can be found in .357" well over 200 gr, but I'm trying to keep as much lead as possible out of my pending Thompson Machine Isis 2.     Its an aluminum monocore, which eliminates "the dip".

Research shows a jacketed 180 gr bullet over 5.5 grains of Titegroup should yield 1020 fps from an 11 inch barrel.    My Handi Rifle has an 18" barrel, I may pick up velocity, or perhaps even start slowing down due to friction.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#17]
.45 ACP off the shelf is a nice subsonic round and easy to load or buy off the shelf ammo for.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/430735_Enfiled__1_MKIII_conversion_to_45ACP_with_suppressor__cheap_fun_gun_.html

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
.45 ACP off the shelf is a nice subsonic round and easy to load or buy off the shelf ammo for.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/430735_Enfiled__1_MKIII_conversion_to_45ACP_with_suppressor__cheap_fun_gun_.html

View Quote

Except the guns usually are clunky, less than reliable, and the triggers arent great.  Still cool.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Threaded Rossi 16" bbl 357.
One of my favorite hosts.

I own a custom 16" bbl threaded 357 handi rifle that is also a winner
But everyone likes the cowboy assault rifle.
I'm currently shopping for a 77/357 to SBR.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Boyd's Laminate stock and Volquartsen target sear arrived today.

I'll get some pics up. Need to figure out if I want to carve out the channel or chop the length to make room for the Mystic.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'll get some pics up. Need to figure out if I want to carve out the channel or chop the length to make room for the Mystic.
View Quote

How much would you have to chop and how well can you refinish the chopped area?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2-3" and I should be able to return it to near new finish.

The below zero temps have me less than motivated to go out to the workshop.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Finally got a chance to work on fun things.

I broke down the action to prep for cut, crown and threading as well as engraving and coating.

Now for the stock trimming options.

The 9" barrel looks like a good length as far as the Boyd's forearm layout goes. The trick with the (old) Mystic will be the carving for the raised retaining ring and the fixed barrel mount. My plan right now is to embed the mount, ring and tube as a "drop in". Meaning, with the barrel/action out of the stock, I'll thread the Mystic on and then seat the whole setup into the stock. If the plan goes south, I'll just cut and refinish the stock as a shorter forearm. I'll probably need to bed and reinforce the forearm to help with stiffness.

Ideas welcome.

Volquartsen target sear (bottom):

Front sight removed.

Stripped action:

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#24]
The target sear was one of the best upgrades I've done to a rifle in a while. Made a huge difference on the trigger break and took 5 minutes to install.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got an approved form 1 for a 44 integral all the way up to a 24 inch tube and a bolt action stainless 77/44 but wondering If I should still go that route or sell the 77/44 and go with a simpler setup for supressed hunting.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've got an approved form 1 for a 44 integral all the way up to a 24 inch tube and a bolt action stainless 77/44 but wondering If I should still go that route or sell the 77/44 and go with a simpler setup for supressed hunting.
View Quote

I have an integral 77/44. Awesome guns and if you roll your own ammo, you will double enjoy the 300gr subs.  They hit with authority.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Finally got a chance to work on fun things.

I broke down the action to prep for cut, crown and threading as well as engraving and coating.

Now for the stock trimming options.

The 9" barrel looks like a good length as far as the Boyd's forearm layout goes. The trick with the (old) Mystic will be the carving for the raised retaining ring and the fixed barrel mount. My plan right now is to embed the mount, ring and tube as a "drop in". Meaning, with the barrel/action out of the stock, I'll thread the Mystic on and then seat the whole setup into the stock. If the plan goes south, I'll just cut and refinish the stock as a shorter forearm. I'll probably need to bed and reinforce the forearm to help with stiffness.

Ideas welcome.[/url]
View Quote

I have to cut down my Boyd's stock as well, please let me know how you will proceed. Never cut laminate before
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#29]
That's going to look sick! What barrel did you add?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's going to look sick! What barrel did you add?
View Quote

Thanks. It still has to go out for engraving, then stock modification, then cerakote...

Just the stock Ruger barrel...

Quotes for a rebarrel were $450-$550 and a six month wait. Not saying it isn't worth it, but it's beyond my budget for this build.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I have my 77/44 barrel stripped down sitting on my bench waiting to send off.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have my 77/44 barrel stripped down sitting on my bench waiting to send off.
View Quote

What length are you going with? Post up some pics when you get it back.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll keep it at 16"so I can run full power loads with my Osprey.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Well it looks like I'm off to sell blood...
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Let's start working on inletting the stock:

Looks good:

Measuring and taping:

Rough cuts (Forstner drill bits and dremel sanding wheel):

Alignments and measurements:

Not bad so far:

It's way too cold in the workshop to be doing any finish work. I could barely feel my hands.

I had a few spots where the sanding wheel touched the stock that I'm going to have to retouch. It was bound to happen.

Finally getting engraved this week.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm cerakoting the action, barrel, Mystic, rings and scope. Unless I get any better suggestions, I'm going with a middle shade of flat gray.

Hazard yellow or Sig pink need not apply.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm cerakoting the action, barrel, Mystic, rings and scope. Unless I get any better suggestions, I'm going with a middle shade of flat gray.

View Quote

But pink would go so good for you!  I'd be interested to see the grey in person as I need some more builds coated.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

But pink would go so good for you!  I'd be interested to see the grey in person as I need some more builds coated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fine. Everything gray.  Except the rings. One yellow, one pink.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:26:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Engraving. Much thanks to MAC Tactical:

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Ok I have made up my mind to SBR a 77/357 like you...
Now just to find the best price and order one.
Any suggestions where to look?
This is going to be expensive
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

According to Wiki Arms, the cheapest reputable place is going to be Grab A Gun @ $670 + shipping.  Pretty sure theirs is a $5 flat rate though.

And yeah, I'm going to be doing my first SBR as a 77/357.  Damn you arfcom
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I looked for awhile. Bud's was the best deal going.

I considered Form 1ing a silencer to keep costs down. But if you are going to shoot it a lot, why not try and make it the best/quietest/most accurate.

Fun for sure.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I may have missed this somewhere along the line, but did you shoot the rifle at all to see how accuracy was before sending it off to be cut and threaded?  If yes, how was the accuracy?  This thread has given me an itch to be a copycat and do one of these as well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I may have missed this somewhere along the line, but did you shoot the rifle at all to see how accuracy was before sending it off to be cut and threaded?  If yes, how was the accuracy?  This thread has given me an itch to be a copycat and do one of these as well.
View Quote

One of the guys has a very in depth review
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_52/398345_REVIEW__Ruger_77_357__Nikon_Prostaff_3_9x40_and_MagnetoSpeed_Chronograph__Read_Pic_Heavy_Building__.html
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

With factory match wadcutters it was holding approximately 2" at 50 yards. Unscientific and a sample size of 10 whole rounds.

Not a tack driver, but accurate enough for fun woods work.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the guys has a very in depth review
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_52/398345_REVIEW__Ruger_77_357__Nikon_Prostaff_3_9x40_and_MagnetoSpeed_Chronograph__Read_Pic_Heavy_Building__.html

I should add that I was mostly checking for function and keyholing. After a good cleaning and more focus I'm sure less than an inch at 50 yards is doable.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#48]
After reading this thread I am going to spring for the whole enchilada.
Order a 77/357,
Order a McGowen barrel,
File another form 1 SBR and figure out what glass to put on this.
Anyone else interested in a 1-10 twist barrel from McGowen?
I wonder if a few of us got together we could get a break (time,price or both)
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I considered Form 1ing a silencer to keep costs down. But if you are going to shoot it a lot, why not try and make it the best/quietest/most accurate.

Fun for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun for sure.

Guy on the forum and down the block from me did a F1 can. As i mentioned in the $100 suppressor thread. If you were to cover my 2 commercial and his BYO can. You'd be hard pressed to tell which is which (barring use of a high $$ Db meter) His POI @ 25yds (indoor range) was minimal, to say the least. Now how it performs @ 1 - 400 yds, that's another story. BUT sine he is rolling his own. It's nothing to tailor the load to the gun / suppressor combo. My POI with a YHM 45 cobra on a rossi 92 in .357 is 1.5-2" @ 50 yds with factory 125 's.  
Since my F1 is now approved, this weekend is build & function time. Just mentioning it as one can do a nice performance unit at home.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#50]
the 77/357 with a silencer sure sounds cool to me, but are there any benefits to it over getting the American Ranch in 300blk? 300blk should be more accurate and have longer range... not to mention the gun itself is half the price. I could use my EVO-9 on either (for subsonic).
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top