Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good so far. Why not hang onto your last one? Maybe set a goal to finish the work when you're in a better spot. It's good to keep hopes high when dealing with illness. It looks like I may have an autoimmune disease. Probably not as bad as what you're enduring, but I understand sickness. You're rifle is close to being an SBR! Just need stamp money and some muzzle work (well, perhaps a can too). Keep your spirit up!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.  It's looking like multiple lifelong chronic conditions at this point.    Going to wait and see what the test results show next week and go from there on the rifle.  4 years with no income has made it a bit rough on the gun collection.  This is the last one I own because I'd like to try to do the SBR work if I can.  Just need money and to be around for it.  Kinda had a mix of fuck it and panic attack this weekend about the tests this AM.  Considering I understand a good chunk of medical stuff, I did the cardinal sin of googling the stuff they are trying to rule out.  Idiot rookie move. 

did bolt and trigger shims, VQ oversized magazine release and 2.5# target sear/spring set for the internal stuff.  Figure $800 of the $1881 I've spent on it is just the scope setup and extra mags to be honest.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207715/77357-214181.JPG
Looks good so far. Why not hang onto your last one? Maybe set a goal to finish the work when you're in a better spot. It's good to keep hopes high when dealing with illness. It looks like I may have an autoimmune disease. Probably not as bad as what you're enduring, but I understand sickness. You're rifle is close to being an SBR! Just need stamp money and some muzzle work (well, perhaps a can too). Keep your spirit up!
I'm agonizing over it.  We'll see what the test results hold.  But 4 years of no income and needing money for other stuff makes having almost $1900 tied up in something that doesn't get used, well not the best financial plan.  But we'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:40:59 AM EDT
[#2]
My 77/44 is back from JP Grips, threaded, sight set back, and shortened to 16.25". Installed a Timney target sear tonight (Brownells discontinued the Volquartsen sear). Had to file the trigger where it contacts the safety and after about 20 trial fits I finally got it to where the safety works well, PITA but its a nice trigger now. Took some 400 grit sandpaper to the factory medium scope rings and mounted a Burris Droptine 2x7 scope on it. I have one on my .22 RAR and its decent glass for the $ and I think the Droptine reticle might work well with subsonic loads. With the medium rings the bolt handle just barely drags the scope so I think it will work but I also have High Ruger rings if needed. Burned my $200 SiCo not-a-rebate money on a direct thread mount for the Hybrid and a couple suppressor covers.
Picked up another 100 brass, some Trail Boss powder, and a box of 300gr Nosler HP's to build some subs.  
Planning to try it out this weekend for accuracy with some 240gr XTPs hand loads that I already had loaded for my 629, and hope to do a test run with the in-jail Hybrid at the SOT soon. So far this project is getting pretty spendy! It sure is a short, light, and handy little package though. Feels very similar to a 10/22.
My goal with this project is a near Hollywood quiet rifle with enough punch to take bigger critters out to 75 yards or so, as well as being a sweet youth deer hunting setup with supers out to 100+. I just hope it's accurate...
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 77/357 and a Mystic X coming. To start, are 38s good subs? Are they quiet? I plan to reload, but I like the easy-simple and then work loads.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My 77/44 is back from JP Grips, threaded, sight set back, and shortened to 16.25". Installed a Timney target sear tonight (Brownells discontinued the Volquartsen sear). Had to file the trigger where it contacts the safety and after about 20 trial fits I finally got it to where the safety works well, PITA but its a nice trigger now. Took some 400 grit sandpaper to the factory medium scope rings and mounted a Burris Droptine 2x7 scope on it. I have one on my .22 RAR and its decent glass for the $ and I think the Droptine reticle might work well with subsonic loads. With the medium rings the bolt handle just barely drags the scope so I think it will work but I also have High Ruger rings if needed. Burned my $200 SiCo not-a-rebate money on a direct thread mount for the Hybrid and a couple suppressor covers.
Picked up another 100 brass, some Trail Boss powder, and a box of 300gr Nosler HP's to build some subs.  
Planning to try it out this weekend for accuracy with some 240gr XTPs hand loads that I already had loaded for my 629, and hope to do a test run with the in-jail Hybrid at the SOT soon. So far this project is getting pretty spendy! It sure is a short, light, and handy little package though. Feels very similar to a 10/22.
My goal with this project is a near Hollywood quiet rifle with enough punch to take bigger critters out to 75 yards or so, as well as being a sweet youth deer hunting setup with supers out to 100+. I just hope it's accurate...
View Quote
What thread pitch and what did the work cost? PM me if you don't want do discuss openly.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#5]
$185 for the machine work, about 3 week turn around. He did a nice job on it. .578x28 thread pitch.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
$185 for the machine work, about 3 week turn around. He did a nice job on it. .578x28 thread pitch.
View Quote
Cool, thanks
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:50:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Finally shot the 77/44 on Sunday. Shots were unsuppressed off a bench with a bipod and rear bag.  I only shot at 50 yards due to the 25mph wind, but it was mostly coming from 6 o'clock and shouldn't have effected much at 50 I wouldn't think? Ammo was Hornady 240gr XTP handloads (23.5gr H110), Remington 240gr SJHP reloads (23.5gr H110), and some 15 year old Winchester factory flat points that I'm guessing are 240's but weren't in the original box. I was a bit disappointed with the accuracy. All of the ammo shot about the same, I didn't measure them (short on time) but 5 shot groups were in the 2.5"-3" range.
I didn't expect this rifle to have the accuracy of a .223 varmint rig but I was hoping for 2.5"-3" at 100, not at 50, since the .44 mag is often touted as a fairly accurate round for a pistol cartridge. The only things that stood out to me was that most of the group dispersion was horizontal with all ammo (wind?), and I think I nearly maxed out the horizontal adjustment of the scope in order to get it far enough to the left to be on target. I have seen mention of shimming the bolts on these guns, any thoughts on that or other accuracy tips? Already had installed a 2.5lb Timney trigger.

Recoil was fairly stout, which was expected when pushing a 240gr bullet at muzzle loader speeds out of a light rifle. I would like to reduce the recoil for the kiddos with a lightly loaded 200gr bullet. However in my limited reloading experience, near max loads tend to produce the best accuracy in most guns so that may not be a good solution. The butt pad is very hard rubber, does anyone like Limbsaver make a nice soft recoil pad that fits the factory stock? I'm sure the Hybrid will help with the recoil but I don't expect it to help very much due to the limited amount of muzzle gas that a 44 mag produces out of a 16" barrel (totally guessing here). Maybe it will help more than expected? My 9 year old weighs about 65lbs and is pretty recoil sensitive.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I have yet to load anything for my 44. It's been stuck at a gunsmith shop, waiting to get the barrel threaded. They just called last week saying that they couldn't do it, because the barrel was too thin...

I have shot 44 specials through it though. They have very little recoil, compared to the WWB 44mag. I agree that these guns are a little too stout, in stock form, for a young one. My 10 year old begged me to let him shoot it. I finally relented and he regretted asking after the first trigger pull.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Finally shot the 77/44 on Sunday. Shots were unsuppressed off a bench with a bipod and rear bag.  I only shot at 50 yards due to the 25mph wind, but it was mostly coming from 6 o'clock and shouldn't have effected much at 50 I wouldn't think? Ammo was Hornady 240gr XTP handloads (23.5gr H110), Remington 240gr SJHP reloads (23.5gr H110), and some 15 year old Winchester factory flat points that I'm guessing are 240's but weren't in the original box. I was a bit disappointed with the accuracy. All of the ammo shot about the same, I didn't measure them (short on time) but 5 shot groups were in the 2.5"-3" range.
I didn't expect this rifle to have the accuracy of a .223 varmint rig but I was hoping for 2.5"-3" at 100, not at 50, since the .44 mag is often touted as a fairly accurate round for a pistol cartridge. The only things that stood out to me was that most of the group dispersion was horizontal with all ammo (wind?), and I think I nearly maxed out the horizontal adjustment of the scope in order to get it far enough to the left to be on target. I have seen mention of shimming the bolts on these guns, any thoughts on that or other accuracy tips? Already had installed a 2.5lb Timney trigger.

Recoil was fairly stout, which was expected when pushing a 240gr bullet at muzzle loader speeds out of a light rifle. I would like to reduce the recoil for the kiddos with a lightly loaded 200gr bullet. However in my limited reloading experience, near max loads tend to produce the best accuracy in most guns so that may not be a good solution. The butt pad is very hard rubber, does anyone like Limbsaver make a nice soft recoil pad that fits the factory stock? I'm sure the Hybrid will help with the recoil but I don't expect it to help very much due to the limited amount of muzzle gas that a 44 mag produces out of a 16" barrel (totally guessing here). Maybe it will help more than expected? My 9 year old weighs about 65lbs and is pretty recoil sensitive.
View Quote
I've got an integral 77/44 and 96/44 that I shoot with 300 grain XTPs over 18.2 grains of IMR 4227.  The 77/44 has SRT's "fast twist" barrel that I think is 1:20 (don't quote me).  The 96/44 is factory twist.  In both, trimming the brass to consistent length REALLY improved the groups.  Starting with new Starline brass and trimming to 1.270" cut groups in both rifles to under 3" at 100 yards.  This load gets me 1020-1040 FPS in both rifles.  I've never loaded 44s with H110, so I don't know what velocity that 23.5 grains of it will produce out of a 240 grain pill.  The 1020 FPS out of my 300 grain load being shot through the integral suppressors does not "recoil" as much as it "swiftly pushes" if that makes sense.  I don't know if the difference is due to the suppressor or the loads.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:02:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've got an integral 77/44 and 96/44 that I shoot with 300 grain XTPs over 18.2 grains of IMR 4227.  The 77/44 has SRT's "fast twist" barrel that I think is 1:20 (don't quote me).  The 96/44 is factory twist.  In both, trimming the brass to consistent length REALLY improved the groups.  Starting with new Starline brass and trimming to 1.270" cut groups in both rifles to under 3" at 100 yards.  This load gets me 1020-1040 FPS in both rifles.  I've never loaded 44s with H110, so I don't know what velocity that 23.5 grains of it will produce out of a 240 grain pill.  The 1020 FPS out of my 300 grain load being shot through the integral suppressors does not "recoil" as much as it "swiftly pushes" if that makes sense.  I don't know if the difference is due to the suppressor or the loads.
View Quote
Thanks for the info, this is interesting and I would definitely be ok with sub-3" groups at 100. I'm fairly sure the factory 77/44 twist is 1:20, but I could be wrong? The reloads I shot were what I already had on hand for my revolver. I'm not even sure if I have a .44 case trimmer but I will pick one up. I don't remember how much they varied but I recall that the empty cases that I had on hand were not all the same length, so I'm sure the same applies to my old reloads. On the other hand, the factory WWB ammo should have been all the same case length so I won't hold my breath. I have not chronographed the H110 loads but they would definitely be supersonic, probably in the 1750 fps range? I bought some Trail Boss and 300's to try some subsonic loads but haven't found the time to load any yet. I would expect those to have considerably less recoil, and of course this entire thread is about suppressing these gun with subsonic loads, but I have a use for supers as well. If I could get it under 3" with only subs I would still consider this project a success though.
I will say this, the recoil of full power 240's has eliminated any temptations I had to build a suppressed .460 S&W encore .
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info, this is interesting and I would definitely be ok with sub-3" groups at 100. I'm fairly sure the factory 77/44 twist is 1:20, but I could be wrong? The reloads I shot were what I already had on hand for my revolver. I'm not even sure if I have a .44 case trimmer but I will pick one up. I don't remember how much they varied but I recall that the empty cases that I had on hand were not all the same length, so I'm sure the same applies to my old reloads. On the other hand, the factory WWB ammo should have been all the same case length so I won't hold my breath. I have not chronographed the H110 loads but they would definitely be supersonic, probably in the 1750 fps range? I bought some Trail Boss and 300's to try some subsonic loads but haven't found the time to load any yet. I would expect those to have considerably less recoil, and of course this entire thread is about suppressing these gun with subsonic loads, but I have a use for supers as well. If I could get it under 3" with only subs I would still consider this project a success though.
I will say this, the recoil of full power 240's has eliminated any temptations I had to build a suppressed .460 S&W encore .
View Quote
Ruger stopped making the 77/44 for several years.  Prior to ceasing production, I believe they were 1:38 twist.  When they started back up, I think the new ones were 1:20.  I think the Douglas fast-twist barrel is either 1:14 or 1:11.  I know the letter taht came with it specifically said to not shoot 240 grain loads that were faster than 1600 fps.  Don't know why, just that it would void a warranty.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I bought some Trail Boss and 300's to try some subsonic loads but haven't found the time to load any yet.
View Quote
Can you squeeze enough trailboss under a 300gr pill, keeping 1.6oal and hit 1000fps?
I'm using Unique, because that is what Tom Denall recommends. Trailboss is intriguing though. Definitely no chance of a double charge, lol.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Can you squeeze enough trailboss under a 300gr pill, keeping 1.6oal and hit 1000fps?
I'm using Unique, because that is what Tom Denall recommends. Trailboss is intriguing though. Definitely no chance of a double charge, lol.
View Quote
I haven't tried it yet, but I believe you can. I see lots of recommendations for loads on the integral 44's but I believe they are a shorter ported barrel so I suspect they would not really apply to a 16" barrel, at least as far a velocity goes?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ruger stopped making the 77/44 for several years.  Prior to ceasing production, I believe they were 1:38 twist.  When they started back up, I think the new ones were 1:20.  I think the Douglas fast-twist barrel is either 1:14 or 1:11.  I know the letter taht came with it specifically said to not shoot 240 grain loads that were faster than 1600 fps.  Don't know why, just that it would void a warranty.
View Quote
I would assume they are worried about the integral can being damaged by jacket separation with the fast twist and high speed bullets, but it's odd that they specify 240's? Seems it would apply to any weight bullet.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Some corrections- the Douglas fast twist is 1:11 in my 77/44.  The paperwork that came with it from SRT says "DO NOT use bullets any heavier than 240 grain in the Douglas fast twist barrel if you are loading to magnum velocities of 1600 fps or higher. "  So, sounds like 240 grains are good to go at 1600+ FPS.  I opted for the 1:11 to be able to shoot the 300 grain bullets at 1000 - 1100 FPS more accurately per SRT's recommendations.  After I had the 77/44 for a few years, I accidentally bought a 96/44 integral already done by SRT.  It has the OEM barrel which I believe is 1:20, but it is not stamped.  It shoots the XTP and Nosler 300 grainers to 5" groups all day- the design of the integral 96 just is not as capable of accuracy as the integral 77's design.  In the 96, the stock mounts to the suppressor tube, not the receiver as with the 77.  

The Nosler Sporting Handgun bullets seem to not be quite as accurate (4-5"" at 100Y) as the XTPs (2.5-3.5" at 100Y) but sure appear to be a better choice for expansion at sub velocities from shooting at water filled milk jugs.  The Noslers are much softer lead.  If anyone needs 300 grain 44 load data, PM me.  

I know this is the 77/357 thread and am sorry for the recent derailment.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone removed the rear sight? I'm trying to figure out what my options are to fill the dovetail.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Has anyone removed the rear sight? I'm trying to figure out what my options are to fill the dovetail.
View Quote
They make a blank that fits it for $5 or so, but it's honestly about the size of the sight folded down. 

Edit: Midway has a Marbles one that looks lower profile and is somewhat contoured for $6. Will have to blend it yourself if you want it to disappear though. 
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I saw the ones that need to be fitted. I don't trust my dremel skills that much though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, I saw the ones that need to be fitted. I don't trust my dremel skills that much though.
View Quote
It should be a softer steel, so you could likely do the work (gently) with a file, then just hit the last bit with a wire wheel on the dremel to make it match the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't bother with the Dremel: it will go plenty fast and much safer with a file. First, make sure the filler piece is in there securely. Wrap a couple layers of masking tape around the barrel adjacent to the filler insert, clamp the barrel in your padded vise, and work it down with the file until it's as close as you dare, then switch to strips of sandpaper shoeshine fashion. It blends even better if you "shoeshine" the whole barrel. Since it's stainless, you don't even have to worry about refinishing.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They make a blank that fits it for $5 or so, but it's honestly about the size of the sight folded down. 

Edit: Midway has a Marbles one that looks lower profile and is somewhat contoured for $6. Will have to blend it yourself if you want it to disappear though. 
View Quote
Can someone link that part please?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Can someone link that part please?
View Quote
dovetail blanks
Those are Midway's offerings, but, for the 77/357 you might want the Marbles stainless one Brownell's sells:
Marbles stainless blank
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Don't bother with the Dremel: it will go plenty fast and much safer with a file. First, make sure the filler piece is in there securely. Wrap a couple layers of masking tape around the barrel adjacent to the filler insert, clamp the barrel in your padded vise, and work it down with the file until it's as close as you dare, then switch to strips of sandpaper shoeshine fashion. It blends even better if you "shoeshine" the whole barrel. Since it's stainless, you don't even have to worry about refinishing.
View Quote

Cool, I'll give it a shot then. I'm going to have it cerakoted afterwards, so I don't know why I'm worried about the finish, lol.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Ruger resumed making these rifles which is good news!  :)
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
You freaking made my day dude.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:02:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link?
Listed as an active item on their website.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I was really hoping that they would start making pistol calibers in the American line.

Eta: speaking of pistol caliber rifles....

Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Got info to add to the thread.  Own an Osprey 45 and wanted to know if it could be used in 357 mag.  Called silencerco.  Someone else might want to call to confirm what I posted.

They said as long as the barrel is a minimum of 16", I am good to go.  Powder needing to be burned up and all for pressure tolerances.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was really hoping that they would start making pistol calibers in the American line.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/no5enfield/Mobile%20Uploads/20170623_171830_zpslspngtgl.jpg
View Quote
Is that a mauser with a 1911 mag in it?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/no5enfield/Mobile%20Uploads/20170623_171830_zpslspngtgl.jpg
Mauser conversion

I wanted to build one of these years ago, but i keep forgetting and now the stock of good candidates has dried up for the most part.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Mauser conversion

I wanted to build one of these years ago, but i keep forgetting and now the stock of good candidates has dried up for the most part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mauser conversion

Yeah, that's what it is.
I'm still finishing it up. It won't feed from a full mag, have to download it to 5. I'm cool with that. Sounds like a pneumatic brad nailer with the Cosmic.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Dude.  I need one now.    Then again, I am a PCC whore. 
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Really easy to assemble. As long as you are not expecting perfection, it's a fun toy. I'm building it for my youngest son. He doesn't like the recoil of the 77/44, this thing has zero recoil.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Really easy to assemble. As long as you are not expecting perfection, it's a fun toy. I'm building it for my youngest son. He doesn't like the recoil of the 77/44, this thing has zero recoil.
View Quote
I have an old Mauser action stashed for this very project which has been on the back burner for years.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have an old Mauser action stashed for this very project which has been on the back burner for years.
View Quote
Do it man! They come with threaded barrels...
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Do it man! They come with threaded barrels...
View Quote
Mmm... Delisle carbine ish build.

Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:47:25 AM EDT
[#38]
The 77/44 and 77/357 have been reintroduced.  Not sure if this was said, but I don't feel like wading through 12 pages to find out.  It is back up on their web site as well.  I don't know what's so hard about introducing iron-sighted, threaded, 16" barrel versions for the growing suppressor market.  Ruger seems to be dipping toes into the class-III pool.  Time for them to jump in.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/06/26/ruger-77-series-rifle-re-introduced-due-to-consumer-demand/
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The 77/44 and 77/357 have been reintroduced.  Not sure if this was said, but I don't feel like wading through 12 pages to find out.  It is back up on their web site as well.  I don't know what's so hard about introducing iron-sighted, threaded, 16" barrel versions for the growing suppressor market.  Ruger seems to be dipping toes into the class-III pool.  Time for them to jump in.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/06/26/ruger-77-series-rifle-re-introduced-due-to-consumer-demand/
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#40]
For those who own a 77/357, is there enough barrel diameter at 16" for 5/8"x24 threads?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For those who own a 77/357, is there enough barrel diameter at 16" for 5/8"x24 threads?
View Quote
Yes. But 1/2x28 works fine too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Just so everyone in this thread knows, Ruger is bringing back the 77/xxx line do to popular demand. Now if we can get them to do a factory threaded version and maybe a version with a heavier barrel profile!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:26:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just so everyone in this thread knows, Ruger is bringing back the 77/xxx line do to popular demand. Now if we can get them to do a factory threaded version and maybe a version with a heavier barrel profile!
View Quote
While we are asking, can we get a 9mm and .45acp that use the American pistol mags?

Worst they can do is laugh at us and say no.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I could go for a pump-action that takes Glock magazines.  Bolt action seems excessive.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I could go for a pump-action that takes Glock magazines.  Bolt action seems excessive.
View Quote
A pump action would use a similar lifter system as a lever action(or so I would assume), so you really wouldn't be able to used the heavy, long for caliber bullets, like the popular 245gr bullet for the 357 magnum in these guns.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Dude.  I need one now.    Then again, I am a PCC whore. 
View Quote
You and me both! I have a spare Mauser 93 or 96 action(it was labeled a 93 action, but it doesnt have a vent hole on the left side and it has the Swedish crown on the trigger and action, so maybe a 96?)  that I was going to eventually build into a Swedish Mauser(I also have a take off Swedish Mauser barrel in 6.5x55 that no one wanted because it has a slightly messed up crown)but i may make it into a 45 acp bolt gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A pump action would use a similar lifter system as a lever action(or so I would assume), so you really wouldn't be able to used the heavy, long for caliber bullets, like the popular 245gr bullet for the 357 magnum in these guns.
View Quote
Traditional pump actions like the Mossberg 500 or Remington Model 14 have a tubular magazine under the barrel.  This requires the use of a lifter.  You don't have to do it that way, though.  You can use box or rotary magazines with no lifter.  Just a straight push-pull with a rotating or tilting bolt, flappers like the Colt Sauer, etc.  The Ruger rotary magazine (for the .357 and 44 Magnum) does limit you on bullet length, but I don't have one to test my heavy loads in.  I did own a 96/44 that did not fit my 300gr loads when crimped on the front groove.  In my post, though, I was wishing for a Pistol-caliber carbine in 45 acp that took Glock mags.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone buy a new production 77/357?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#49]
If anyone is struggling with accuracy I would suggest shimming the bolt as others have mentioned. triggershims.com I think, $10 and easy to install. Mine is a 77/44 but should work the same on the 357. The shims didn't cut my groups in half but they definitely improved. 4 out of 5 shots seem to group in 2.5"-3.5" at 100 but there is always still a damn flyer that opens things up to 4" or 4.5" with XTPs (supersonic). 50 yds subsonic Nosler 300 gr HP's are doing about 1"-2" which I'm pretty happy with.
I really like this gun but I'm kind of wondering why I just didn't buy a RAR in .450 Bushmaster for half the price and probably more accurate? Still might...
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If anyone is struggling with accuracy I would suggest shimming the bolt as others have mentioned. triggershims.com I think, $10 and easy to install. Mine is a 77/44 but should work the same on the 357. The shims didn't cut my groups in half but they definitely improved. 4 out of 5 shots seem to group in 2.5"-3.5" at 100 but there is always still a damn flyer that opens things up to 4" or 4.5" with XTPs (supersonic). 50 yds subsonic Nosler 300 gr HP's are doing about 1"-2" which I'm pretty happy with.
I really like this gun but I'm kind of wondering why I just didn't buy a RAR in .450 Bushmaster for half the price and probably more accurate? Still might...
View Quote
What thickness shim set did you end up with?  

As for accuracy, I found that trimming the brass to a consistent length helped tremendously.  Well, to make it easier, in order or impact for my reloads.
#1- brass trim length consistency- not so much actual length, just that all are same length.  Which greatly impacted #2.
#2- unifrom crimp.  I use a roll crimp and brass length impacts the crimping.
#3- adjusting OAL to chamber.
Oh, and placement of sandbags- found that keeping the support bag under the box mag removed any flexing that was taking place between stock and suppressor tube, even though stock was thoroughly inlet to free float around the suppressor.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top