Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 1:32:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For the time being they are out of production with no word on if they are coming back.

The only people I can find that claim to have one in stock is these guys.  That said, I've never heard of them.  There are no 77/357's on gunbroker, or anywhere else I've looked though.  Hell, I'm taking my Christmas money and buying extra mags.

http://www.swva-arms.com/skins/starsandstripes/images/logo.png
View Quote

Have prices come up on the used market?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 1:57:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the time being they are out of production with no word on if they are coming back.

The only people I can find that claim to have one in stock is these guys.  That said, I've never heard of them.  There are no 77/357's on gunbroker, or anywhere else I've looked though.  Hell, I'm taking my Christmas money and buying extra mags.

http://www.swva-arms.com/skins/starsandstripes/images/logo.png

I haven't really checked, but the used market up here is kind of fucked anyhow.  I wouldn't doubt that I could get $900 for mine right now, but I'm dead set on not selling it.  

I imagine the used market is probably pretty hungry given there were none used when I searched for them though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:54:06 AM EDT
[#3]
So out of curiosity, I'm grabbing this little doodad off Amazon.  It's an aperture sight replacement blade for the standard Ruger sights.  $15 vs $60 for the Skinner sight, I might as well try it.  Worst case, I can send it back.  If I like it, I'll probably just mask it off and paint a white ring around the lower half of the aperture.  I'm amazed that nobody has put one out before this. 

Shell Sorter 10/22 replacement sight blade

Link Posted: 1/3/2017 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So out of curiosity, I'm grabbing this little doodad off Amazon.  It's an aperture sight replacement blade for the standard Ruger sights.  $15 vs $60 for the Skinner sight, I might as well try it.  Worst case, I can send it back.  If I like it, I'll probably just mask it off and paint a white ring around the lower half of the aperture.  I'm amazed that nobody has put one out before this. 

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91K9fwRWzbL._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

Probably because aperture sights and open sights work on two different optical principles and are not interchangeable.
Sure, substituting one for the other kinda-sorta-maybe works a little bit, but not really. There is a solid reason that all factory aperture sights are at the back of the receiver close to the eye, and all factory open sights are halfway down the barrel: that's where they have to be located to work correctly.

With open sights, your eye has to align front sight in the rear notch, then put the front sight on target while maintaining alignment in the rear notch. This requires constantly shifting focus to bring all 3 elements into line, with a final focus on front sight before the trigger press.

With aperture sights, you never focus on the rear sight, because you can't: it's too close to your eye. You simply look through it, put the front sight on target, focus on the front sight, and press. Your eye automatically centers the front sight via a bunch of neuro-optical processes that amount to magic.

Putting an aperture waaaaay out there on your barrel just re-creates the ancient buckhorn sight and blocks your view. Putting a notch on the rear of the receiver is even worse, because your eye now has to do its magic trick with only half of very distorted circle to work with.
No, I don't care that HK put that abortion of a rear sight on the G-3. It's still stupid. It's not the most stupid thing they did in the G-3's design, but that's for a different thread.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Probably because aperture sights and open sights work on two different optical principles and are not interchangeable.
Sure, substituting one for the other kinda-sorta-maybe works a little bit, but not really. There is a solid reason that all factory aperture sights are at the back of the receiver close to the eye, and all factory open sights are halfway down the barrel: that's where they have to be located to work correctly.

With open sights, your eye has to align front sight in the rear notch, then put the front sight on target while maintaining alignment in the rear notch. This requires constantly shifting focus to bring all 3 elements into line, with a final focus on front sight before the trigger press.

With aperture sights, you never focus on the rear sight, because you can't: it's too close to your eye. You simply look through it, put the front sight on target, focus on the front sight, and press. Your eye automatically centers the front sight via a bunch of neuro-optical processes that amount to magic.

Putting an aperture waaaaay out there on your barrel just re-creates the ancient buckhorn sight and blocks your view. Putting a notch on the rear of the receiver is even worse, because your eye now has to do its magic trick with only half of very distorted circle to work with.
No, I don't care that HK put that abortion of a rear sight on the G-3. It's still stupid. It's not the most stupid thing they did in the G-3's design, but that's for a different thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91K9fwRWzbL._SL1500_.jpg

Fair enough.  I can't shoot buckhorn sights worth a damn, so I'm trying to come up with something that works.  No money for a scope for the foreseeable future.  So I'm trying to find something passable for now. 

Edit:  It wasn't the master plan, but I managed to snag a Vortex 1.75-5 for well below regular price on Amazon.  Damaged box.  So we'll see what happens.  Eventually it'll get replaced with an Accupoint though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Heads up for those guys rebarreling their rifles.  Brownells has  a 14: 1:14 Shilen match barrel blank for $98 in chromoly steel.  Stainless is $140, so I figured with the price being that much lower, it might be worth a mention.

Brownells
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Just ordered a Silencerco Hybrid.  Now I will start looking for a 77/357 to buy.  Sure wish I had a time machine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just ordered a Silencerco Hybrid.  Now I will start looking for a 77/357 to buy.  Sure wish I had a time machine.
View Quote

None in my usual search spots and wikiguns.  7 on Gunbroker, but expect to pay a kidney.  Running $750-1200 right now.   I personally am also stocking up on extra mags since I don't know how long they'll be available.  Up to 9 now.  

Gunbroker

Buy it now for $819 with a scope and 2 mags
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#9]
4 more mags showing up wed/thurs. Now I just need a Boyd's stock, Form 1, and a suppressor. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
(Not a post about silencers but it's relevant to the thread)

I just installed a Volquartsen sear in my 77/44.   Holy shit what a nice trigger now.

It's light enough that I'm considering swapping back in the OEM spring to see if it might make it a tad heavier since I'm wearing gloves when I hunt sometimes.
View Quote

I did the same with mine and when shooting at the range off bags, it is easy for it to go off just a little bit before you think it's going to.  

I don't have the 77/357, but I love my SRT integral 77/44 and 96/44.  That suppressed lever action is just freaking fun to throw 300 grain pills out of.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Kinda an insane question:

Is swapping a barrel on these the same as with most other bolt actions?  (unscrew, put the new one on, check headspace)  I realized that if I'm already going to SBR mine, I might as well just pick up one of those 14" Shilen blanks and have it turned however I want.  That way I can have my SBR, but turn the rifle back to a Title 1 firearm if I'm going hog hunting in Hawaii or whatever.  (they don't allow SBR's)

Granted, like all things this depends on money which I have none of at the moment.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#12]
If anyone is looking for a 77/ 357.  I just got one at the field and stream in Columbus Ohio Polaris mall. They have 6 more in the rack 649.00 on clearance.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:31:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If anyone is looking for a 77/ 357.  I just got one at the field and stream in Columbus Ohio Polaris mall. They have 6 more in the rack 649.00 on clearance.
View Quote

@35Remington was. Might have been @45remingtion. Memory is kinda shot today. 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fack! I will buy.  Do they ship?  I got on their website but do not see it in their inventory.

@northpolar you da man.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fack! I will buy.  Do they ship?  I got on their website but do not see it in their inventory.

@northpolar you da man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@northpolar you da man.

I'd give em a call to be safe. Good luck. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#16]
@goloud

How's your rifle treating you? 

Crossing my fingers to get my F1 filed by mid-April, even if I have to count it as the birthday present from family.    With a bit (lot) of luck, the HPA will pass, and I can grab a Liberty Mystic-X with my PFD right around when the stamp comes back for the SBR. 

Health is still in a hole, so it's slow going.  On year 4 of being sick as hell.   Too stubborn to give up though.

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:28:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Awesome pic.

I haven't shot the 77/357 in a few months. Finding the time is always a challenge.

Have you thought about a Form 1 suppressor for your 77/357 project?

Quoted:
@goloud

How's your rifle treating you? 

Crossing my fingers to get my F1 filed by mid-April, even if I have to count it as the birthday present from family.    With a bit (lot) of luck, the HPA will pass, and I can grab a Liberty Mystic-X with my PFD right around when the stamp comes back for the SBR. 

Health is still in a hole, so it's slow going.  On year 4 of being sick as hell.   Too stubborn to give up though.

http://orig02.deviantart.net/e932/f/2017/045/6/6/untitled_by_aknorthpolar-daz44vc.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, and hopefully you'll get some free time. 

I have Ave thought about doing a form 1 can, but I essentially have no tools available at the moment. When I start getting money together for a can, I'll be doing research though. 

Dont suppose you know how the barrel on these is attached? Might be able to get a new barrel for less than a cut and thread, counting shipping from AK. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks, and hopefully you'll get some free time. 

I have Ave thought about doing a form 1 can, but I essentially have no tools available at the moment. When I start getting money together for a can, I'll be doing research though. 

Dont suppose you know how the barrel on these is attached? Might be able to get a new barrel for less than a cut and thread, counting shipping from AK. 
View Quote

I looked long and hard for a barrel before getting the stock barrel threaded. Rebarreling requires a proper gunsmith. And the least expensive barrel I could find was in the $400 range.

I wish the 77/357 used the 10/22 type barrel attachment.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Crap. That was what I was starting to think too. Was worth a shot at least. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got off the phone with the store manager. Because it is a clearance item, they refuse to ship it.   Doesn't make much sense to me , since I would be the one paying shipping, but whatever.

They have  one left at the clearance price, and a few more for about $900  that are blue instead of stainless.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:17:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Got off the phone with the store manager. Because it is a clearance item, they refuse to ship it.   Doesn't make much sense to me , since I would be the one paying shipping, but whatever.

They have  one left at the clearance price, and a few more for about $900  that are blue instead of stainless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's retarded.  @35Remington there are 9 on gunbroker right now here.

$750 buy it now is available, only one with a buy it now less than $1000.  Note, I haven't checked the seller out, etc.  Ends tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's retarded.  @35Remington there are 9 on gunbroker right now here.

$750 buy it now is available, only one with a buy it now less than $1000.  Note, I haven't checked the seller out, etc.  Ends tomorrow.
View Quote

I agree with this, but I have also had people that refused to sell to me here in Alaska because shipping is so much more. Generally with in 10 bucks is what I have found working with UPS/FedEx/USPS. (Yes it is still going to my local FFL.)
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Tease 

Although that is pretty awesome. With the can, what's the OAL? And who makes the coffee table?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I agree with this, but I have also had people that refused to sell to me here in Alaska because shipping is so much more. Generally with in 10 bucks is what I have found working with UPS/FedEx/USPS. (Yes it is still going to my local FFL.)
View Quote

Had the same problem living in Alaska.  I would ALWAYS contact them prior to bidding.  I only had a handful of jerks refuse to ship to Alaska at all.  Some tried to double or triple the the price originally quoted.  Priority Mail was the best method, though many gun shops absolutely refused to deal with the post office.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Had the same problem living in Alaska.  I would ALWAYS contact them prior to bidding.  I only had a handful of jerks refuse to ship to Alaska at all.  Some tried to double or triple the the price originally quoted.  Priority Mail was the best method, though many gun shops absolutely refused to deal with the post office.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  Then again, sometimes it's impossible to even convince them that AK is part of the US.  I literally had a dealer in KS arguing with me that he couldn't ship to us because we were out of the country.  This was after I faxed him a copy of our shop FFL. 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yup.  Then again, sometimes it's impossible to even convince them that AK is part of the US.  I literally had a dealer in KS arguing with me that he couldn't ship to us because we were out of the country.  This was after I faxed him a copy of our shop FFL. 
View Quote

Well, DUH!  He seen it off the coast of Mexico!
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Just want to thank everyone here that posted information on the ruger 77 357.  Just got mine and was able to snag some cheap mags due to a post here.  Not sure if will thread mine, but would be using an osprey 45 if I did.  Anyone know if adco can do this?  I know they said no to the takedown 10/22 originally, but now can.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just want to thank everyone here that posted information on the ruger 77 357.  Just got mine and was able to snag some cheap mags due to a post here.  Not sure if will thread mine, but would be using an osprey 45 if I did.  Anyone know if adco can do this?  I know they said no to the takedown 10/22 originally, but now can.
View Quote

Adco told me that they don't touch any Ruger 77 series rifles.  A couple guys have had good luck with (I think) JP Grips on theirs.  Should be around page 5-6 or so in the thread where they talk about it.

Edit:  I googled them and was right.  That said, no personal experience with them.
JP Grips
Ruger 77/357 Threading Package 1/2-28, $185.00
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I asked about 2 years ago and the answer was no. Maybe it's changed.

Congrats on the new rifle!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#32]

jpgrips has done almost a dozen threading jobs for me, highly recommend them.

Only place I know of that gives you option of keeping front sight!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for responses.  Want to fiddle with rifle before threading.  I got time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Dallas Shooting Supply does threading as well. They are a member here and have really great prices.

EE thread
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Only place I know of that gives you option of keeping front sight!
View Quote

Morgan at Class III machining could probably keep the front sight, and it'd be way less than $185.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Morgan at Class III machining could probably keep the front sight, and it'd be way less than $185.
View Quote
agreed
@eastTXhunter
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
agreed
@eastTXhunter
View Quote

He told me that it's doable, but costly, because that set up is difficult.
I don't remember what he quoted me though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know his prices on a 10/22 and front sight relocation is like $110
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but you can just pop the barrel off on a 10/22. From what I've read, it looks like you have to spin the complete action on a 77/357. Way more complex to do right. 
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, but you can just pop the barrel off on a 10/22. From what I've read, it looks like you have to spin the complete action on a 77/357. Way more complex to do right. 
View Quote

Isn't it the same as any other bolt gun like a rem700?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Ok maybe I am wrong.  Check with Morgan.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought, but from everywhere I've looked, it doesn't sound like it.  I've been told twice that the barrels are press fit.  Can't confirm, but it completely killed my rebarreling idea.  I think it was GoLoud, but one of the guys here was quoted a couple hundred to rebarrel theirs.

I'll happily be wrong though.  Keep meaning to call Ruger and talk to the techs, but the 4 hour time difference is a bit of a bastard.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#43]
JP was $165 for my work in '15, just checked my emails from him.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#44]
These are cool as hell.
Today my dealer offered me a Hybrid for $100 less than the best online price I can find, so I guess I'll be buying that ($599). Also, my state has a bill going to legalize straight wall pistol cartridges for deer hunting that will likely pass. I'm leaning towards the .44 because it will primarily be used supersonic for deer hunting and I want the maximum range I can get. I will most likely have it cut to 16" to avoid the SBR hassles and to maximize velocity for hunting. I already hand load .44 for a S&W 629 and I'm sure I would want to load some subsonic ammo as well.

So my questions are:
1. Has anyone suppressed one of the 77/44's, especially with a Hybrid? How is it?
2. I read the owners manual on line and it doesn't say, but I assume these will also shoot .44 special just fine?
3. How is the recoil with hot/mild loads? I have kids as young as 7 that would be using this for deer and they do not like 20 ga recoil.
4. Am I crazy for not going .357 considering my purposes?

Headed to the gun show tomorrow, thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
1. Has anyone suppressed one of the 77/44's, especially with a Hybrid? How is it?

4. Am I crazy for not going .357 considering my purposes?
View Quote

I have a hybrid and it's awesome with subsonic 44 ammo on my rifles.  I don't shoot much magnum ammo, but it works plenty good with that too.  

Since you already bought the hybrid and load 44 I would go 44 for sure.  The key to load very quiet ammo is to use the fastest powder you can.  I use bullseye up to 240gr and it works great - noise is similar to a silenced 22 rifle.  

The biggest advantage to 357 is that factory 38spl is subsonic and similar cost to loading your own 44subsonic.  So you can get excellent low noise ammo without the hassle of loading it yourself.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:42:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for the info ^^^. It's a pretty light weight gun, how is the recoil (light vs heavy loads)? Somewhere I read that full house loads where comparable to .308 rifle, which is too much for the kiddos. I'm guessing light 180 loads are easy but what about stiff 240's? No 77's at the fun show today.

Edit: What kind of accuracy are you getting out of the magnum loads?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Regarding the 44 magnum, there are some outfitters in Texas near Seguin who use an integrally suppressed 44 magnum. The company is something like nighthogs.com if I remember correctly.

I think I have convinced my local field and stream to strong-arm the Ohio store  into mailing or I guess transferring one of those clearance rifles down to Texas. At this price I might have to buy two.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info ^^^. It's a pretty light weight gun, how is the recoil (light vs heavy loads)? Somewhere I read that full house loads where comparable to .308 rifle, which is too much for the kiddos. I'm guessing light 180 loads are easy but what about stiff 240's? No 77's at the fun show today.

View Quote
Edit: didn't realize that was for the 77/44. 

With 158gr 357 standard pressure loads, the recoil is hilariously soft.  Seriously.  I haven't shot mine for accuracy yet since I got the scope in winter, but will post some results up next month once I get back from my trip.

Crossing my fingers that I'll finally have the $200 + fingerprinting/photo money together to file my form 1.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Winchester white box 44mag and buffalo bore 44spl are all I've shot through mine. The magnums are too much for my ten year old. The specials are pussy cats.
Recoil is tough to compare for me, there are so many variables. It is more uncomfortable to shoot than a mosin carbine in my opinion.
Accuracy is terrible, but I hope to shim the bolt, install volquartsen sear and play with action screw torque, before I write it off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#50]
"Terrible" accuracy is not what I was hoping for lol, but I have read good reports elsewhere. I did buy a new stainless 77/44 but I don't have a scope for it yet so I haven't shot it. I could answer the recoil question for myself if I would just go shoot it, but looking at the Chuck Hawks recoil tables the 44 is more than double the recoil of 357 mag. Hopefully the Hybrid will help to reduce recoil for the kiddos and I can always download the ammo a little, although I didn't feel much improvement by downloading their .50 cal muzzy.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top