Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 10:42:30 AM EDT
Purchased an AAC M4-2000 from a local dealer back in March - ATF charged my card on March 21st. Dealer is very gruff with short status updates like, "I haven't heard anything yet". Should I be worried? Checking with NFA tracker metrics, I should have had it back in August.... Is there any way for me to check status with ATF personally?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Call them with the serial number, transferor name, transferee name. The number is 304-616-4500

Eta: your dealer probably doesn't know that the stamp was emailed to them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Purchased an AAC M4-2000 from a local dealer back in March - ATF charged my card on March 21st. Dealer is very gruff with short status updates like, "I haven't heard anything yet". Should I be worried? Checking with NFA tracker metrics, I should have had it back in August.... Is there any way for me to check status with ATF personally?
View Quote

yeah it might be worth looking into.

Dealers do get annoying with customers who dont have the patience for the NFA process. Im sure getting a call from Joe Smith ever week asking for a update does get annoying but unfortunately customers who do have legitimate concerns often get blown off as impatient. I once waited 5 months for a suppressor i ordered to be delievered, i knew it shouldnt have taken that long, but every time i called and mentioned the word Suppressor they would instantly cut me off with "Sir you just have to wait, these things take time and we will call you, there is no need to call us", i wasnt even questioning the wait time as i had not even submitted my form 4 yet, but they were to stupid or lazy to actually listen to my concern.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
It probably didn't get e filed. Eforms went down around April 5th.  There were issuea before that.  I've had paper forms returnes I sent in May that I have back already.

It's possible it got e files but not likely in this time frame. Call the atf branch and ask.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It probably didn't get e filed. Eforms went down around April 5th.  There were issuea before that.  I've had paper forms returnes I sent in May that I have back already.

It's possible it got e files but not likely in this time frame. Call the atf branch and ask.
View Quote

If a credit card was used and he was charged it was efiled.

My efile the at very end of March was approved towards the end of July, but the dealer didn't receive notification it was approved. I called the ATF for a status update and they told me it had been approved 3 weeks earlier -- then I called the dealer and he checked his approvals and sure enough it was there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Update - my dealer sent me this in an email today after I asked him for the control number:

"I just re submitted it today.  Your control number is:XXXXXXXX"

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Update - my dealer sent me this in an email today after I asked him for the control number:

View Quote

You need a new dealer. You can't e file a form 4 at this time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe his dealer is a dipshit and had it 'pending' this whole time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah its really annoying when im forced to buy from someone who has little or no knowledge about the ATFs rules, sometime bare minimum knowledge about firearms
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

BS.. he wouldn't get my business.  I'd call and cancel and ask for a refund.  You don't get to f up on my dime and resubmit on paper 7 months later.  I'd be done with him.  UNLESS.....he had a spare eform 4 in the system that was in draft mode.  He could of done that.   If it's paper.  noway.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought mine was e-filed. Two months later, I found out it wasn't. I had to submit a paper form and start over. Luckily, it only cost me a couple of weeks, you might be hosed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#12]
If he resubmitted on paper - how would he get a control number so fast?  Do dealers call it in prior to sending snail mail?

I'm just wondering if it's been sitting in limbo, waiting for him to fix something this whole time.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If he resubmitted on paper - how would he get a control number so fast?  Do dealers call it in prior to sending snail mail?

I'm just wondering if it's been sitting in limbo, waiting for him to fix something this whole time.

View Quote

see my post above.  I edited the post.   Call him and ask how it's so.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
BS.. he wouldn't get my business.  I'd call and cancel and ask for a refund.  You don't get to f up on my dime and resubmit on paper 7 months later.  I'd be done with him.  UNLESS.....he had a spare eform 4 in the system that was in draft mode.  He could of done that.   If it's paper.  noway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

After re-reading your post: "ATF charged my card on March 21st" - it sounds like he left your eForm in draft status after submitting payment and never completed the "Sign and Submit" step.

After 7 months, I'd demand my money back.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
Without posting the last 3 digits, what control number were you given?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This.

After re-reading your post: "ATF charged my card on March 21st" - it sounds like he left your eForm in draft status after submitting payment and never completed the "Sign and Submit" step.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Wow, I didn't realize the payment could be submitted and not the form. I would be asking the dealer: If it was "re"submitted, what happened to the original submission?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Update - he said he resubmitted with an efile.  Is that possible?

Control Number was 201517XXX.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#18]
It's possible since it might have just been sitting there uncompleted.  People have submitted eform 4s after it was taken down if they had a partially completed form in the system.  If I were you, I would email that Ted Clutter guy ([email protected]) and explain the situation to him.  You might get really lucky and have it approved in a few days.  Since there are probably not any other eform 4s in the system they may want to get it processed quickly anyway.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's possible since it might have just been sitting there uncompleted.  People have submitted eform 4s after it was taken down if they had a partially completed form in the system.  If I were you, I would email that Ted Clutter guy ([email protected]) and explain the situation to him.  You might get really lucky and have it approved in a few days.  Since there are probably not any other eform 4s in the system they may want to get it processed quickly anyway.
View Quote

Would they charge his card for an uncompleted form?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. Two separate systems, two separate actions.

You can't hit Submit until you pay. But, you can pay and think you're done. You have to go back in, hit Sign & Submit and re-enter your password.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, because you pay the fee before you sign and submit the application.  If the dealer is telling the truth and resubmitted electronically, then he likely paid the fee and thought he was done.  Or maybe the sign and submit just didn't go through and he didn't realize it, the system was very buggy and unreliable back then.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My efile the at very end of March was approved towards the end of July, but the dealer didn't receive notification it was approved. I called the ATF for a status update and they told me it had been approved 3 weeks earlier -- then I called the dealer and he checked his approvals and sure enough it was there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ I had a similiar situation.  Mine didn't get submitted via EForm in March like I was told - the system sucked and got bogged down for the majoriy of dealers who didnt submit at 5am.  Come to find out it didn't get in before the system went down - very common.

My dealer finally submitted early May, Pending date was 5/19/14 and approved 9/27/14.

You should definitely have it by now.  Call the ATF for the status.  It is amazing how much one can find out online and by calling for a status update.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Update - he said he resubmitted with an efile.  Is that possible?

Control Number was 201517XXX.
View Quote

No. He may have completed the initial submission but there is no such thing as "resubmitted" with Form 4s being taken off the Eform system.

When an eForm is submitted, it immediately goes into pending status. The only two outcomes are "Approved" and "Disapproved". There is no error status allowing for resubmission. Any error automatically results in a Disapproved Form.

Either your dealer is am imbecile (which is entirely believable given the situation) or just trying to B.S. his way out of his mistake.

Unless he has zero experience with eForms, he would know that a successful submission results in an e-mail with the following information:

This is to advise you that the status of your eForms submission with the subject Permit/Control number has changed to SUBMITTED/IN PROCESS

Permit/Control No: XXXXXXXX

Your Reference No:

Submission Date: 2014-XX-XX-04:00

Form ID: ATF Form X

Not getting a confirmation would be a clue that the Form wasn't successfully submitted.

I sincerely hope he is offering some sort of compensation for his screwup. If you chose to continue to work with him, I would not just let him sweep it under the rug.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Incorrect.  You can make a submission on an Eform 4 if you have one currently in draft status.   You can take that draft, resubmit the same suppressor and if there's an error on the initial submission, request a return.  I believe you have to ask for a cancellation on the initial submission first.

Silenced America screwed up my octane submission by sending in the wrong serial number.  A draft that was still there but not submitted was used to send a resubmission.  The initial one was cancelled.   Ted clutter approved it within 3-4 days after it was resubmitted and gave me credit for time served prior to finding the screw up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:47:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Incorrect.  You can make a submission on an Eform 4 if you have one currently in draft status.   You can take that draft, resubmit the same suppressor and if there's an error on the initial submission, request a return.  I believe you have to ask for a cancellation on the initial submission first.

Silenced America screwed up my octane submission by sending in the wrong serial number.  A draft that was still there but not submitted was used to send a resubmission.  The initial one was cancelled.   Ted clutter approved it within 3-4 days after it was resubmitted and gave me credit for time served prior to finding the screw up.
View Quote

I suppose that's a possibility - but my interpretation of the dealer claiming he "resubmitted" the form is that the dealer is trying to lay the culpability on ATF's side and them having screwed something up.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:34:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I did have one suppressor that was screwed up on the ATFs part.   It was a paper submission.   I called in to check pending status after 5 months and about 1 month before it was supposed to become approved, it disappeared.  After calling several times, they found it.   It had been keyed in wrong on the serial number.   They corrected it.   I don't think that's the case here though.   Just sharing my experience.  I will say, that  three items have had problems.  The ATF were very kind in getting things fixed and I was always given credit for time spent.  Glad for that.  I'm not sure how many have had to start over but I'm thankful I didn't have to.  There are other parts of governemnt application process I've delt with that where  complete idiots, hard asses, and I did have to start over for the dumbest of things.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#27]
The dealer is absolutely the one that dropped the ball on this. There is aboutely no reason for a form to be sitting in draft status for 7 months. Hopefully you get it back soon, but it's hard to say how long it will take. Maybe they will get it kicked out quickly since they are only doing form 1s.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Why is it so difficult to find a decent SOT??  I've gone through 4 and only 1 of them was even remotely competent.  One tried telling me I needed to pay him a $200 tax as well as write a $200 check to the NFA branch.  If you're going to try to charge $200 for a transfer at least be honest and tell me that it's your fee, don't assume that I'm ignorant and try and pass it off as a government requirement.  Needless to say I didn't give him any business and steered others away as well.  The other two both sat on my approved form 4's for way too long before contacting me to come pick them up. One had the paperwork in hand for over a month, the other for around 3 weeks.  One of them also charged $100 per transfer, even though I did all of the paperwork and he only had to sign.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why is it so difficult to find a decent SOT??  I've gone through 4 and only 1 of them was even remotely competent.  One tried telling me I needed to pay him a $200 tax as well as write a $200 check to the NFA branch.  If your going to try to charge $200 for a transfer at least be honest and tell me that it's your fee, don't assume that I'm ignorant and try and pass it off as a government requirement.  Needless to say I didn't give him any business and steered others away as well.  The other two both sat on my approved form 4's for way too long before contacting me to come pick them up. One had the paperwork in hand for over a month, the other for around 3 weeks.  One of them also charged $100 per transfer, even though I did all of the paperwork and he only had to sign.
View Quote

The reason why no one gives a shit is that the margin is not worth the paperwork and headache.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

@cvann...this right here might be your saving grace. Email him ASAP!!!!!! You might be in for a nice surprise and have your can in hand super fast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top