Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2014 10:02:10 PM EDT
Anyone have both or shot both on a 5.56? I think I saw a youtube on it one time but can't find it now and how reliable is something off the internet anyway

Any 'significant' difference in sound? Both have the same external dimensions so in my mind they should be similar in db reduction. Sense I've already got an AR-10 I wouldn't mind taking the bark off of and possibly a 300 blackout in my future seems logical to go with a .30 cal can over a 5.56 unless there is a big difference.

Feedback appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone have both or shot both on a 5.56? I think I saw a youtube on it one time but can't find it now and how reliable is something off the internet anyway

Any 'significant' difference in sound? Both have the same external dimensions so in my mind they should be similar in db reduction. Sense I've already got an AR-10 I wouldn't mind taking the bark off of and possibly a 300 blackout in my future seems logical to go with a .30 cal can over a 5.56 unless there is a big difference.

Feedback appreciated.
View Quote

Full disclosure: I'm a Surefire fan boy, and would recommend the 5.56-rc, but if you want a dual purpose 7.62 can,  look somewhere else.

I do not have both.  I have a SOCOM762-RC now,  and a 556-RC pending.  When I was looking for a second can I researched exactly what you are doing, and the general consensus from everybody,  and recommendations from Surefire themselves was to buy the SOCOM556-RC.   There will be a noticeable difference between the 762-mini and 556-rc. I feel the 7.62-mini would really be fitting on a 16" or larger battle rifle or 20" or larger bolt gun.

I'm against the 762-mini for 300 BO because my 762-rc was very dissapointing on 300 BO.  It's pressure curve was designed for full power military loads (308, 300 win mag.), I can only imagine the 762-mini would be even more dissapointing.   If you are looking for a mini blackout can I would look into the Liberty Chaotic,  or Wilson Combat, or TBAC CB5/ CB7.

Another option,  is to buy a Saker 762. It's one inch longer then the 762-mini, but would let you put a 5.56 endcap on it for use on your 5.56 gun. I have one pending,  and all reports are showing it does decent in just about everything.

Edit to add: Surefire is also coming out with a 300 blackout can,  but I don't have an ETA.  I personally want to see a Saker 762 K..... but everyone I've talked to at Silencerco told me there are a lot more things coming down the pipe before a Saker 762 mini.

I personally would go with a dedicated Surefire 5.56 can,  or look at another companies dual purpose 7.62 offering.  Surefire cans are amazing for what they do well: little POI shift,  accurate,  minimal blowback, durable.... but they are not the quietest.  I would go Surefire for almost every application, but once someone mentions 300 blackout, then I feel there are better choices (if lowest db's are the main goal).

Hope my ramblings help!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]
itieknots7 is is spot on. I have three SOCOM's 762rc, 762 mini, and 556sb (bigger hole than 556rc.) I can bearly tell the difference between my 762 mini and 556sb on a 10.5" 556 AR but the sb sounds alittle better on a 14.5" 556 AR over the 762 mini. 300 Blk subs were so disappointing with both 762's I sold my 9" Blk upper. I will eventually put the 762 mini on an AK and 30-30 plus it does a great job on my 16" LWRC REPR when I want to keep it shorter LOA .
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone used the 762 Mini with full power supersonic .300 Blackout?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone used the 762 Mini with full power supersonic .300 Blackout?
View Quote

Yes with both 762 RC and Mini out of a 9" barrel. Not much quieter than suppressd 556. As would be suspected since it's supersonic.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely love my 7.62 Mini. Just about as loud as .22 un suppressed on a 5.56. The way I see it, your not going to get super quiet with a supersonic round anyway so it doesn't bother me that it might be a few DB louder. Im willing to give that up to have a bulletproof can for 5.56 and .308.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I have a 10.3" DDM4 in .300 Blackout and a second 10.3" DDM4 upper in 5.56mm to use as a training upper so if I go to a class and shoot 500rds it saves a fair amount of money.  I was planning on getting a 762 Mini and either a 556RC or 556SB.  I have no plans to use the Mini on the 5.56mm upper to that isn't an issue.  I know the 10.3" isn't that short, it seems the 556SB was built with 7" barrel in mind, and it is going to be a little bit louder than the 556RC.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well I have a 10.3" DDM4 in .300 Blackout and a second 10.3" DDM4 upper in 5.56mm to use as a training upper so if I go to a class and shoot 500rds it saves a fair amount of money.  I was planning on getting a 762 Mini and either a 556RC or 556SB.  I have no plans to use the Mini on the 5.56mm upper to that isn't an issue.  I know the 10.3" isn't that short, it seems the 556SB was built with 7" barrel in mind, and it is going to be a little bit louder than the 556RC.
View Quote

Are you planning on using the 762 mini as a dedicated .300 blk can? If so you will be greatly disappointed, it's just not what the can was designed for. However, on the plus side Surefire is releasing a .300 blk specific suppressor come the end of this year and the announcement will actually be happening at shot show in january. So if you can wait that's the route i'd go. It's supposed to be just stupid quiet and would be worth the wait.
I'd also look at dead air silencers, they're looking to be a big time up and comer and will be releasing later this year, early next year, as well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you planning on using the 762 mini as a dedicated .300 blk can? If so you will be greatly disappointed, it's just not what the can was designed for.
View Quote

Just because someone is shooting .300 Blackout don't assume they are shooting subsonic.  The problem is .300 Blackout is being typecast as a subsonic only round.  I have no intentions of ever firing a single round of subsonic though this upper.  I have a completely different dedicated subsonic gun with a dedicated subsonic only rated suppressor for playing around.  This is a working gun meant to shoot 110-130gr supersonic rounds only.  I wish someone would actually make a barrel with a twist rate matched to dedicated supersonic use.  Rainier had the 1-10" twist barrels but those seem more like someone made a mistake on the build sheet and the barrels were made 1-10" instead of 1-8" by accident and to try to make the best of it they marketed them as supersonic barrels.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#9]
This is the way I look at it.

With the standard 556 SF SOCOMs, you're already making a sound compromise - one I'm usually happy to make.

Once you start considering other SF cans for various applications - the 7.62 mini for 556, or the mini 556 - the suppression numbers take too much of a hit for me.

SF SOCOM 556 is a great can for 556, but these are not the best cans for multi-use purposes, IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top