Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2014 1:23:37 AM EDT
Been kicking around a few different suppressors for the new KAC SR25 ACC/E2 (whatever theyre calling it now!) but can't seem to decide. If this was for the 20" barrel it would be easier, but it also doesn't help that either Surefire's db reduction information isn't listed or its top secret (or very hard to find).

I've been looking at the following and am really not sure what to do with the 16" barrel for a 308 carbine as I want the best/better decible reduction, a suppressor that doesn't impede accuracy or function, and shorter is better. The KAC already comes with the muzzle device for the KAC line of suppressors but can easily be swapped out for a Surefire QD device.

My goal is to have a suppressor that doesn't negatively effect accuracy as well as makes it 'ear safe' when being fired.

So this rifle: knightarmco.com/sr-25-e2-advanced-precision-carbine-2

And these suppressors:

KAC 7.62 QCB knightarmco.com/portfolio/762-qdc-cqb/?cate_cm=military&term=762and300-rifle&features=762-qdc-cqb Listed as only 18.5d/b reduction, so while its nice and short, not sure 18.5 is going to be enough for ear safe

KAC 7.62 QDC knightarmco.com/portfolio/762qdc-suppressor/?cate_cm=military&term=762and300-rifle&features=762qdc-suppressor Lists 28d/b reduction and only a little more than an inch longer at 7.78" than the QCB

Surefire SOCOM 7.62RC surefire.com/socom762-rc.html 8.4 inches long, and I can't for the life of me find any published d/b reduction info. Only thing I saw was that this one had a failure during some sort of AAC side by side testing.

Surefire SOCOM 7.62 MINI surefire.com/socom762-mini.html 6.2 inches so its even shorter than the KAC CQB but again, can't find any d/b reduction info.

I've seen it mentioned a few times that the Surefire is a better supressor and the KAC variants have had some issues. But most of the issues I've seen talked about are with the much longer M110/SR25 rifle supressor. Any input on the 2 KAC and the 2 Surefires and which route to go? Anyone know of any info as far as the Surefires as I am either blind, or its not posted anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#1]

I've got a Socom 762 mini on order and from what I understand it will do a good job on a non SBR .308/223 but obviously the non-mini variant will be quieter and longer. It's a game of concessions really, are you willing to lose a little suppression for a shorter OAL and more handy weapon? I was because in the end when firing supersonic ammo you should be wearing ear pro anyways because none of them are hearing safe. As long as you don't intend to run either of the socoms on a subsonic .300 blk then you'll be just fine with either.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I went with the aac sr7 even though there are no reviews that i could find aac says it is a little better sdn6 which i found many good reviews ,check out youtube vids might be gtg for you also ..hth
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Hearing safe cant happen on a sr25.  The action noise is in the low 140s.  In army training we were instructed that ear protection was required within 1 meter of the m110 sass.  

I still personally would want a suppressor with at least 28db of sound reduction.  So the kac can, or a recce7 or a 762 sd, or something in that camp would make sense.  The surefire 762 units dont have published information and thereare rumors of some louder cans industry people have tested so I would want to see published specs before I would have confidence to recommend a surefire 762 product as a non blast moderator. Surefire gives specs for flashlights lumens etc.  They have a b&k pulse system so there is no reason for not publishing data.

On 308 anything louder than 28db will leave enough noise in the ambient environment that I personally would want more sound reduction even if im going to wear ear pro when I shoot the gun anyway.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used both the fullsize socom and mini on my 16" sr25.
My ears don't notice a difference between the two when I'm shooting the gun.
I always wear earplugs when shooting anything supersonic.
YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top