Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2014 3:10:26 PM EDT
Looking for "Form 1" projects on the YouTube, I cam across a video with the following title:

"Testing the Form 1+ 3D Printer"

I clicked through and was more disappointed than when Clinton was elected.  Spoiler alert: this has nothing to do with the NFA.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I think one of the guys from Oceania Defence is registered here and pops in every once in awhile, but they do a 3D laser sintered titanium suppressor.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think one of the guys from Oceania Defence is registered here and pops in every once in awhile, but they do a 3D laser sintered titanium suppressor.
View Quote

You see, that's EXACTLY the kind of thing I was expecting to see.  I think a tremendously effective monocore could be 3D printed from titanium.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh don't worry, its coming.

This is new to the market and will change EVERYTHING:
http://www.3dsystems.com/3d-printers/production/prox-300
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Oh don't worry, its coming.

This is new to the market and will change EVERYTHING:
http://www.3dsystems.com/3d-printers/production/prox-300
View Quote

Shut up and take my money!

No, seriously, all of it, and the money from the banks I'm gonna have to rob. Totally worth it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I talked to the guys at Summit about making an Inconel can using the 3d printing process. They said it was possible but not cost effective.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#6]
The guy that finances the company I work for ordered one of those 3D printed 1911s from Solid Concepts.  Their 3D printing shop is here in Austin, so a coworker and I got a tour of their production facility when our financier went to pick up his gun.  They have experimented with 3D printed suppressors, too, though we saw only 1911s and an AR lower on our visit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Are the parts taken to heat treat after they are printed?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

My titanium cans are stress relieved, heat treated and nitrided after "printing" and then finished with a PVD external finish.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My titanium cans are stress relieved, heat treated and nitrided after "printing" and then finished with a PVD external finish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for responding.  Any chance for license-production in the states?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#10]
No worries.  

Sure, I am wide open to licensing or JV possibilities in the US.  I am also able to import to any SOT with government contracts from what little I understand of your treasury law.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Alas, they can't be sold to civilians - any imported NFA items are for government only.  The exact same thing can be made in the US and sold...anyway hopefully you can find a US partner and bring something new over.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No worries.  

Sure, I am wide open to licensing or JV possibilities in the US.  I am also able to import to any SOT with government contracts from what little I understand of your treasury law.
View Quote

JV with a local US citizen, send him the plans and he can manufacturer under his FFL
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

JV with a local US citizen, send him the plans and he can manufacturer under his FFL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No worries.  

The beauty of 3D printing is that the design, engineering, and tooling are mostly software.  So long as the American location is using the same 3D printer, it is just a matter of duplicating the calibration and quality control.  Since it's already done once in NZ, so it's MUCH easier to duplicate here.  I would like a nice, light reflex suppressor myself.  Not sure what the price point would be, though.  That is the only concern.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top