Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2014 3:51:28 PM EDT
Hello gents. Looking to get s suppressor down the road for a little hog hunting and general use. These are a few that I came across that seemed to fit the bill. But, wanted some opinions of those who have used one if not all of these at one point as well. Also, Best bang for buck, well constructed, etc... Any information you guys can provide would be highly appreciated. Also, I willing to consider any other options that may be out there that I missed that can take a beating so to speak. Thank you.

Suppressor Options
- Surefire FA556-212 w/ SF3P-556-1/2-28 Flash Hider/Suppressor Adapter
http://www.surefire.com/fa556-212.html
http://www.surefire.com/sf3p-556-1-2-28.html

- AAC M4-2000 Mod 08 w/ BLACKOUT 51T Flash Hider/Suppressor Adapter 1/2-28
http://www.advanced-armament.com/M4-2000_p_409.html
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/aac-51t-flash-hider/

- YHM-3100 5.56mm QD Phantom w/ YHM-3102 Phantom QD Flash Hider/Supp Adapter (New Style)
http://yhm.net/q-d-phantom-5-324.html
http://yhm.net/phantom-5-56-q-d-flash-hider-for-our-sound-suppressors-1164.html

- YHM Titanium 5.56mm Phantom QD
http://yhm.net/titanium-q-d-phantom-5-57.html
same flash hider

some other guys said I should consider the Socom line of surefire suppressor's apposed to the option above as well as the Gemtech HALO. Are the surfires that much better to justify double price?

Thanks again guys!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
id go with a 762 titanium yhm can.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
For true SHTF, something like the Gemtech HALO that mounts to an A2 FH would be nice.

The YHM ULT would be worth looking at as well. In have the SS LT in hand, and the Ti ULT in jail. A shorter 13oz .30 can would handle nicely on the end of a 16" AR.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The M4-2K is a very solid, good performing suppressor. The fact that the 51T mount is also a great FH is a bonus.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
nothing built stronger than the spec war 5.56 or 7.62 cans. They are built like a tank.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#5]
SilencerCo Secwar K.  Lots of mount options, cheap,  you would want a lite can on a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys! I am new to the can scene, but am a researcher like you wouldn't believe. As you know that only tells you half the story about the products. So, again thanks for the first hand experience and keep the good info coming.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Once mine gets here, it will be a Specwar 556, right now it is a Specwar 762.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not usually a fan of mini cans,  but for a 16" I would do either the Saker K, or Surefire mini

A 7.62 can is nice due to it's versatility,  but will make your 16" really forward heavy and 2-4" longer then most 5.56 mini/full size equivalents.

Edit to add: if your hand guard/ barrel profile supports it I would take a look at reflex suppressor to save some OAL.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For true SHTF, something like the Gemtech HALO that mounts to an A2 FH would be nice.
View Quote

I think that'd be the ideal can, Ti version of course.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
id go with a 762 titanium yhm can.
View Quote

^this

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Mini 4.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Gemtech HALO or Titanium HALO, Griffin M4SDII or M4SDK would be my choices.  The ability to mount on a standard A2 flash hider would be a big plus in SHTF.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#13]
HALO is my go-to can for the reasons mentioned above.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks gents. Got it narrowed down to about six choices or less and a better understanding for suppressor ergonomics, etc. Just what I needed... Again, for the sake of good conversation keep the comments coming.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:51:41 AM EDT
[#15]
KAC NT-4

frikkin bomb proof
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#16]
light and short on a 16" carbine.  How about a screw on trek or something similar?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#17]
For a 16, I would go with a Surefire Socom Mini.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#18]
The one that leaves you enough money to SBR your upper

Seriously though, I wouldn't normally recommend it because there are usually lots of cheaper options, but the SF SOCOM RC for $950 at SS is pretty compelling.  In the end, you don't want anything too long or heavy at the end of 16" gun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#19]
In a SHTF scenario I would want the one I could most easily use with almost any rifle so it would be a thread mount not a QD mount.

My second vote would be for one that works on a standard A2 flash hider but even then you have to change the crush washer to a peel washer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Just to clarify. This is the setup up it will be going on. Maybe not be the right place to post, but I know I always enjoy seeing others peoples ideas . Some minor parts have been added since this list was complied, but the is the main jest of things.

Upper Receiver Assembly
- CMT UPUR-1A Billet Upper
- Daniel Defense 16" Gov Mid-Length 5.56 Barrel w/ FSB, 1-7 twist  
- Rainier Arms Raptor Ambi Charging Handle
- CORE15 StressProof Steel Barrel Nut
- WMD Guns Nitromet Gas Tube
- Flash Hider - (Still in the works pending suppressor choice)
- YHM EZ Pull Take Down Pivot Pin Set
- BCM Delta Ring Assembly
- WMD Guns NiB-X BCG
- Continental Machine Tool Forward Assist Assembly
- Continental Machine Tool Ejection Port Cover Assembly
- Magpul AFG Angled Fore Grip
- Magpul MOE Mid length Handguard

Lower Receiver Assembly
- CMT Gen2 UHP 15 Billet Lower
- WOA (Adco Firearms) LPK w/o FCG
- Geissele SSA Trigger (also considering: SSA-E)
- Troy Ambi Mag Release
- Troy Ambi Bolt Release (may just go standard on this)
- Battle Arms Development Ambi Safety Selector (45 degree short throw option)
- Magpul CTR Mil-Spec Stock Kit
- Magpul MIAD GEN 1.1 Grip Kit (Type 1)

Main Optic
- Burris AR536 w/ Burris FastFire III Reflex Sight - (Still in the works)

Optic Mount
- Larue LT100 Tac ACOG Mount QD

BUIS
- Troy Di-Optic Aperture Folding Battle Sight (Rear)

Suppressor
In the works with the requests given

apologies if this is to much for this thread... Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#21]
For shtf... Gemtech trek. 5.56 barrels are threaded 1/2x28. Will work on almost everything.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Surefire.   Absolutely bombproof.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm waiting on a surefire socom mini and have two of the 556 212 cans. Love em.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:56:45 AM EDT
[#24]
TREK-T
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:57:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Whatever can be made in a garage/workshop with hand tools and maybe a welder.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you for that keen insight. never thought of it that way
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#27]
AAC or Surefire from that list
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Something to think about for SHTF is that the YHM qd phantom has the mounting hardware in the fh NOT the can. So if there is going to be issues over long periods of time it's easy to replace the qd mount (buy 3 mounts and store them if you want)
With the AAC and surefire the parts that can have issues are in the can itself.
I have 3 M4-2000, 2 SDN6, and 2 YHM phantom qd 556 and honestly I like the M4-2000 the best, but,  the yhm phantom is really a great can and really tough. After I bought the AAC stuff I have basically just been trying to destroy a phantom and it just keeps truckin. I built up enough s**t on one of the mounts on my 7.5" upper hat I ended up just buying a new mount, the can is still gtg. They are all good cans but I would lean toward yhm for end of the world scenario.

That being said, I think the world will be around for a while so i'd buy a M4-2000
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Something to think about for SHTF is that the YHM qd phantom has the mounting hardware in the fh NOT the can. So if there is going to be issues over long periods of time it's easy to replace the qd mount (buy 3 mounts and store them if you want)
With the AAC and surefire the parts that can have issues are in the can itself.
I have 3 M4-2000, 2 SDN6, and 2 YHM phantom qd 556 and honestly I like the M4-2000 the best, but,  the yhm phantom is really a great can and really tough. After I bought the AAC stuff I have basically just been trying to destroy a phantom and it just keeps truckin. I built up enough s**t on one of the mounts on my 7.5" upper hat I ended up just buying a new mount, the can is still gtg. They are all good cans but I would lean toward yhm for end of the world scenario.

That being said, I think the world will be around for a while so i'd buy a M4-2000
View Quote

Thank you for the great info. I did not think of that... probability just about the only thing. lol
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#30]
SHTF considerations are often unrealistic, thanks in no small part to Hollywood.  Do people really think that they will get into, never mind survive, enough gun battles to expend the kind of round counts necessary to wear out ANY can?  Do they even own enough ammo to wear out a suppressor?  Firearms in need of suppression and the ammo needed to use them won't be just laying around to scavenge.  I enjoy theoretical SHTF discussions as much as the next guy, but let's try and think through what is realistic vs what is fantasy.

EDIT:  My idea of SHTF when it comes to NFA items is that we may someday not be able to purchase them anymore.  In this scenario I would consider durability a very important factor, assuming they are still legal to own through grandfathering.  If not then I know a lot of them will be lost in boating accidents, so durability will come down to corrosion resistance, as in what suppressor can survive the longest being buried in an ammo can in the back yard submerged in salt water at the bottom of the sea
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gemtech HALO I like mine and it mounts to all my AR's and most any flash hider so if your rifle has major catastrophe no big deal slapping it on another rifle in a matter of minutes
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
SHTF considerations are often unrealistic, thanks in no small part to Hollywood.  Do people really think that they will get into, never mind survive, enough gun battles to expend the kind of round counts necessary to wear out ANY can?  Do they even own enough ammo to wear out a suppressor?  Firearms in need of suppression and the ammo needed to use them won't be just laying around to scavenge.  I enjoy theoretical SHTF discussions as much as the next guy, but let's try and think through what is realistic vs what is fantasy.

EDIT:  My idea of SHTF when it comes to NFA items is that we may someday not be able to purchase them anymore.  In this scenario I would consider durability a very important factor, assuming they are still legal to own through grandfathering.  If not then I know a lot of them will be lost in boating accidents, so durability will come down to corrosion resistance, as in what suppressor can survive the longest being buried in an ammo can in the back yard submerged in salt water at the bottom of the sea
View Quote

Whoa! Take a breath brother... Just kidding. In this case "SHTF" is referring to high quality, long lasting parts (can in this case) that can take a licking and keep on ticking. Also, considering design simplicity of course.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Gemtech HALO I like mine and it mounts to all my AR's and most any flash hider so if your rifle has major catastrophe no big deal slapping it on another rifle in a matter of minutes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for the info. another for the Halo...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Whoa! Take a breath brother... Just kidding. In this case "SHTF" is referring to high quality, long lasting parts (can in this case) that can take a licking and keep on ticking. Also, considering design simplicity of course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't taking a shot at your question, just offering a different perspective
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#35]
some of my random observations and thoughts, considering there are now the mini cans available. i have an m4-2000 and a shorter version called the SCAR-SD that is about 1.250" shorter than the m4 2k.

the m4-2k is much quieter and has less flame signature at night but is heavier, especially on longer barrels. i keep this one on my SBR's.

the SCAR-SD is a flame thrower at night, maybe not totally ear safe but makes a huge different when running on the 16 and 20" barrels.

pick your poison.....
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha... Perspective confirmed and received.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
some of my random observations and thoughts, considering there are now the mini cans available. i have an m4-2000 and a shorter version called the SCAR-SD that is about 1.250" shorter than the m4 2k.

the m4-2k is much quieter and has less flame signature at night but is heavier, especially on longer barrels. i keep this one on my SBR's.

the SCAR-SD is a flame thrower at night, maybe not totally ear safe but makes a huge different when running on the 16 and 20" barrels.

pick your poison.....
View Quote

Thanks mr_h... I will take this into consideration when I pull the trigger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top