Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2014 9:57:11 PM EDT
WTF is up with SilencerCo not including any method of mounting my brand new Octane HD 9mm can to anything??? I don't see anywhere on the packaging or instructions that states "piston sold separately".  Full of hate and discontent right now...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like your dealer's problem (Or yours). Usually they come with a piston of your choice. Either way, order one, wait a few days and go shoot your can. Not a big deal.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Details please.  I checked my Octane 45 HD and even mounted it on my pistol when it came in.   The shop was friendly, told them I didn't want any surprises such as yours when the form cleared.  The can is also from Sil Shop.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the 4th can I have purchased from this particular (local to me) FFL. Great shop and very friendly/knowledgeable staff. Maybe they misplaced it. It would't be a huge deal but pistons are $80 and it's a matter of principle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Something is wrong, all the prices they list on the website are w/piston. Either someone took it or it was mistakenly not included.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Octanes and Ospreys all come with one piston from SiCo. Start by checking with the dealer, then follow up with Silencerco if needed.

ETA: Turns out this isn't the case for all dealers. While Silencerco's MSRP is "with piston", the suppressors and pistons are ordered individually and some dealers don't include them to make their pricing seem lower.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
It came from the factory with a piston.  Somewhere after that point, somebody removed it for some reason.  When my dealer got my can in on a form 3, I removed the piston and spring and kept them.  Not that he was going to do anything with them, but I wanted to validate my hosts before the form 4 was approved.

Your dealer owes you a piston.  You might want to kindly change the tone of your post until you have a reason to suspect that it was SilencerCo and not your dealer or his supplier that pulled the piston out.  SiCo doesn't deserve that press unless you can demonstrate that it was left out by THEM.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#7]
As mentioned above, Silencerco's webpage says that a piston is included next to the MSRP.

You should be getting one with the can. Mention  that to your dealer and bring a printout of the webpage for proof.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Octanes and Ospreys all come with one piston from SiCo. Start by checking with the dealer, then follow up with Silencerco if needed.
View Quote

Not anymore they don't. My octane was shipped without one in May.  The idea is to package them as a deal and sell close to MSRP.  

I think my box even says that it doesn't have a mount. I'll have to look when I get back home at the end of the week.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]
My harvester didn't come with a thread adapter either. I was at the shop when both cans were opened up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe this will help:

I paid $649 (plus tax and stamp) for it.

(removed pic)

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Some dealers include a piston, some don't. MSRP from SilencerCo is independent of what your dealer sells it for. Did you select a piston size when you ordered your Octane? Then you probably have cause to get one from the dealer. If not you should buy one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I just checked SilencerShop and their price is $590 (with the piston). I think I should have gotten a piston.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I just checked SilencerShop and their price is $590 (with the piston). I think I should have gotten a piston.
View Quote

Silencershop chooses to include a mount at that price. It is up to the dealer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#14]
They come with a piston.   You usually have to specify which thread-type/piston you want when you purchase.  Gotta receipt that might indicate such?  And I believe that's your serial # on the end of the box in case you don't care to advertise.

ETA: Let me clarify.  My Octane came with a piston, from the SilencerShop.  I had to specify which piston I wanted at the time of purchase.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They come with a piston.   You usually have to specify which thread-type/piston you want when you purchase.  Gotta receipt that might indicate such?  And I believe that's your serial # on the end of the box in case you don't care to advertise.
View Quote

Thanks for the head's up. Checking receipt now...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Just an FYI, Distributors that sell Silencerco to dealers list the piston and the suppressor separately.
Depending on where the dealer got the suppressor, it may not have come with one and the dealer may not have ordered one.
Don't jump to the conclusion that the dealer or silencerco screwed you over

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Just an FYI, Distributors that sell Silencerco to dealers list the piston and the suppressor separately.
View Quote

Which is what I have been trying to say and everyone keeps overlooking that. My dealer told me that used to not be the case, but it is now.

I think the dealer should have mentioned that, but he does not owe the op anything. Smaller dealers cannot compete with what silencershop sells at so what they do has no bearing on anything n
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess I'll pony up for the piston if need be. That takes me up $730. I like to support local FFLs but I can't ignore the fact that I could have gotten the whole package including piston for $590. That's a $140 price difference. I have purchased a good amount of guns and NFA items from that FFL but I guess they will lose my business from here on out. No hard feelings though. It's just business.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#19]
If a suppressor doesn't come with a method of attachment, I would expect a reputable company to take the couple of minutes it might take to clarify that up front.  It pays to do your homework up front though.  A FNG sales guy could've easily missed that check-box or if you've done enough business with them, maybe they just assumed you knew already.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#20]
If you order from silencershop now you'll probaly have the piston by Friday. Mother ship free and fast.

I just started buying stuff from there instead, because of the prices and I got a good deal on transfers.

You also have to remember buying online adds about a month and the transfer will be 50-100.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If a suppressor doesn't come with a method of attachment, I would expect a reputable company to take the couple of minutes it might take to clarify that up front.  It pays to do your homework up front though.  A FNG sales guy could've easily missed that check-box or if you've done enough business with them, maybe they just assumed you knew already.
View Quote

SilencerCo chooses to sell them separately so that a dealer has a choice of which ones to get.

Think of it this way. Back in the day you would order 10 9mm suppressors. Say you choose 8 suppressors with .5x28 pistons and 2 suppressors with 13.5x1 pistons. Now the .5x28 will sell faster than the 13.5x1. In the end, you are left with two suppressors that have 13.5x1 threads in them.
You now have two options, order more suppressors with .5x28 pistons, or order the .5x28 pistons and stash the 13.5x1 pistons for someone else. In the end, SilencerCos way of doing it is easier. I always hated having to tell someone that we have the suppressor, but ran out of the right thread pitch.

For a shop, it is cheaper to stock up on a variety of pistons rather than a variety of suppressors. You could buy 10 suppressors and 14 pistons for cheaper than 14 suppressors with pistons and be able to satisfy all your customers.

Which, thank you guys for reminding me, I need to order a .5x28 piston for a customers osprey!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:23:49 AM EDT
[#22]
SilencerCo has stated several times before that they intend for a piston to be included. However, the pistons all have individual SKUs due to the Octane's support for a wide variety of calibers and threads. Because of this, there really is no way for them to enforce their intentions.

To be honest, it is pretty crappy on the dealer's part not to include one (unless he is being squeezed by his distributor, in which case the dealer is being a jackass).
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Honestly, sometimes dealers forget. I ordered an Osprey for a customer about a month and a half ago. When I ordered it, the piston was not in stock. We just sent the Form 4 in about two weeks ago. This thread actually reminded me that I needed to order the piston for the customer. Granted, I have about 5-6 months to do it, but stuff gets forgotten.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:35:37 AM EDT
[#24]
OP, how much did you pay for your Octane 9 HD?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:38:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Honestly, sometimes dealers forget. I ordered an Osprey for a customer about a month and a half ago. When I ordered it, the piston was not in stock. We just sent the Form 4 in about two weeks ago. This thread actually reminded me that I needed to order the piston for the customer. Granted, I have about 5-6 months to do it, but stuff gets forgotten.
View Quote

I can definitely see this. When I went to pick up my Octane 45, I had to ask about it. Their NFA guy was not there that day so it took some checking on their part to get one.

My issue with it is when dealers are unclear or misleading about its inclusion. Given the rather wide variance in suppressor pricing, even for a particular model, it may not always be easy to tell if the piston will be included or not based on price alone.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:18:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
I posted it earlier in the thread.... $650.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:24:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry, missed it. That would be about what I would charge for one without the piston.

You also have to remember, depending on the shop, there will most likely be a transfer fee if you buy the suppressor online. A shop I used to work at charged $100 per NFA transfer
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I think the "red flag" was when no piston pitch was indicated with your initial purchase.  I would not buy a can without knowing the piston thread pitch for risk of getting some oddball pitch that doesn't fit any of my hosts. Thats an important part of the initial transaction if a piston or adapter is to be included.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Oops.

Sucky situation OP. Talk to your dealer and see what he can do for you.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#30]
It's up to the dealer to include a piston or not.  However, it is common practice to include one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not anymore they don't. My octane was shipped without one in May.  The idea is to package them as a deal and sell close to MSRP.  

I think my box even says that it doesn't have a mount. I'll have to look when I get back home at the end of the week.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the clarification.

I've bought the 9 & 45 versions of both the Osprey and the Octane, from a total of three dealers, and chose which thread pitch I wanted with each one. Never safe to assume...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think the "red flag" was when no piston pitch was indicated with your initial purchase.  I would not buy a can without knowing the piston thread pitch for risk of getting some oddball pitch that doesn't fit any of my hosts. Thats an important part of the initial transaction if a piston or adapter is to be included.
View Quote

For an Octane/Osprey, this is not necessarily weird. While I agree that buyers need to verify this before purchase, I would not be surprised to see a local shop advertise one of these cans, but not specify a thread pitch.

For reference, I paid $625 for an Octane 45 w/ piston at a local dealer. Without knowing the dealer's cost, my impression is that the suppressor should have included a piston.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, If you are a Georgia resident, maybe you should try Quiet Riot next time. I believe they would have included a piston at that price. And they are a stocking dealer, so no form 3 wait. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is incorrect. They do not come with a piston.  

When you order from any distributor, it always says NO PISTON INCLUDED.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you should read the thread. That's been pointed out multiple times already, and I already thanked somebody for letting me know the four I bought that came with a piston don't guarantee everyone else gets one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sorry, missed it. That would be about what I would charge for one without the piston.

You also have to remember, depending on the shop, there will most likely be a transfer fee if you buy the suppressor online. A shop I used to work at charged $100 per NFA transfer
View Quote

I take it back, I was looking at Osprey costs and totally forgot you got an Octane 9.

If someone were to purchase an Octane 9 through the shop, it would probably be about $550-$575 w/ piston.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I heard back from the FFL. The piston is not included.

I get to spent $80 on top of the $650 I spent on the Octane HD 9. Needless to say,  I'll be shopping elsewhere for my NFA items from now on.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

I get to spent $80 on top of the $650 I spent on the Octane HD 9. Needless to say,  I'll be shopping elsewhere for my NFA items from now on.
Well, I wouldn't buy the piston from that dealer.  Grabagun has good prices on SiCo accessories...

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#39]
There is no way Id buy the mount from that guy. My dealer was upfront.  Silencershop has Pistons for 69.50 delivered right now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There is no way Id buy the mount from that guy. My dealer was upfront.  Silencershop has Pistons for 69.50 delivered right now.
View Quote

^This^

Or Exile Machine has them for $56 + shipping.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did the same thing.  Mine was even more but that was the cost of getting something in stock.  My last form 3 wait was over 3 months and I am in a locality where LEO sign off is not possible.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

For an Octane/Osprey, this is not necessarily weird. While I agree that buyers need to verify this before purchase, I would not be surprised to see a local shop advertise one of these cans, but not specify a thread pitch.

For reference, I paid $625 for an Octane 45 w/ piston at a local dealer. Without knowing the dealer's cost, my impression is that the suppressor should have included a piston.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that is exactly where the OP is. I don't rely on my dealer (small shop) to have a ready supply of the pistons of my choice to be included with the suppressor i buy (not implying you do). I always looked at the price as including a specific mount.  If i bought an Octane 9mm and based on the price it included a piston, and that piston showed up MH13.5x1 LH when all my hosts were .5x28, I would be upset.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

^This^

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^This^

Capitol Armory has them in stock for $58.50 as another option.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

PM me the FFL?  I would like to know if I ever buy from them.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

PM me the FFL?  I would like to know if I ever buy from them.  

Sent.

For the record, the FFL I purchased the Octane HD from is an awesome shop and has the best staff I have ever dealt with. They are friendly, approachable, knowledgeable and are a far departure from the typical asshat know-it-alls that look down on their customers. I have been to around 20 gun shops in my area and this is one of two that I still patronize. It's just hard to ignore a $140 price disparity on something that sells in the $500-600 range.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#46]
That sucks.  Honestly, I have one can I am waiting on and I am done with NFA stuff.  I want a 9mm and 22LR suppressor but I just don't want to pay near MSRP locally or deal with a transfer again.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#47]
As was posted before but needs repeated. The Distributors are not listing the Octanes and the Ospreys with pistons. They are sold separately and it is kind of misrepresented on the Distributors sites. This is a Distributor thing. Not a Silencerco or local SOT thing. You need to remember that if you bought the suppressor and the mount from that dealer. The price would have been higher than what you originally paid anyways. He is not going to give you the mount for free. You would also be paying sales tax for that mount along with the suppressor. Some people prefer to buy the mounts elsewhere online while their suppressor is in jail. They can save money that way. Cheaper prices and no tax.

On a side note. Some Dealers would rather not do NFA transfers from other online shops. Without naming any names. One of the larger online retailers pissed off a lot of the other SOTs out there and they do not like doing transfers for them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Just for the record: one of my distributors does include a piston.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's just hard to ignore a $140 price disparity on something that sells in the $500-600 range.
View Quote

It literally pays to shop around. Next time ask your dealer if he will match the price before the transfer fee. If he's willing to do it then you'll save the Form 3 time and still be able to patronize your local shop. My local shop only charges $50 transfer so it is even less than Silencer Shop Direct, but that's how I would do it if I didn't have that shop nearby.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top