Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2014 12:36:50 PM EDT
I have a octane 45 HD and I am using it on a 1911 5" 45 ACP with 230 FMJ and a 226 9mm with 124 FMJ, I found out the hard way that Power Pistol and 231 , when used with 45 ACP 230 Gr. FMJ , both spit blowback at me that it stings my face when the particles hit me. Can someone suggest a powder or some powders from their experience that won't  do this "stinging blowback"? The can is new and had the baffles aligned correctly according to silencerco / swr directions.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Best bet is try the reloading forum.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think powder will solve your problem.  It happens with suppressors.  I use unique for the 45 ACP, happens.   The newer unique which is supposed to be cleaner.   I use a P226 for my 9.   It happens less with that pistol.   I use 4.2 grains unique under a 147 grain.  I did test that load with chrono and GTG.    45 ACP should always be subsonic for that weight.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]
All powder will blow back.  Things on the faster end like titegroup do a little better and are great for subs.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No the best bet is to ask an expert on this like PHD.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no need to bother him. this isn't that technical. there are plenty of people here that can help.  Like the post that said use faster burning powder. also change the firing pin plate to a flat one. bottom of plate isn't round(the part that rides the hammer). It makes the lock time longer
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I had short radius (.062") firing pin stops in 2  5" 1911 45 ACP when I shot this can and I had "bolt over base problems. When I got home I put the factory firing pin stops  With the large radius back in to solve the problem but haven't retested yet. I figured the short radius caused delayed unlock , slowing the slide enough to get a bolt over base 4 times within 200 rounds which I can't live with. I also have Sprinco recoil reducers in these 1911s . This is my first centerfire  pistol can. I am going to try some 700x and bullseye with 230 FMJ the next time I go test. Should I get some Vit.. 310 to test? The 230 FMJ bullets I have are Zero brand.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I know Auto Comp is noisy - makes sense seeing as it was designed for a lot of gas volume.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Op. Try something like titegroup. Even that will have blow back though. What you are experiencing is totally normal for a centerfire pistol can.  The more stuff you to tinker with the more frustrated you will become.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#9]
maybe try a quicker burning powder so there is less residue when it leaves the bullet/gases leave the barrel. Just my guess, Im no reloading expert but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I have used 231, Bullseye, and Titegroup for .45 with 230gr Zeros.  They all have some blowback.  It's the nature of the beast, especially with a wet silencer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#11]
There will always be blowback, but it can be DRASTICALLY reduced with the right powder kind and amount.  I'll check my notes when I get a chance and repost.  I almost stopped shooting 9mm suppressed until I got the right balance.  It used to sting so bad from unburnt powder flying back in my face.  Now, I love it!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Just an FYI. Most warranties won't cover reloaded ammo.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

more to the point they can tell if you do as well. or at least this has been my experience.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#14]
My understanding of the Uniform Commercial Code and related case law is that the problem would have to have been caused by the reloaded ammunition in order for a manufacturer to not warranty a part due to failure while using those reloads.  Is this incorrect?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

more to the point they can tell if you do as well. or at least this has been my experience.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I reload.  and curious to know how one would discern between factory ammo and reloads.   From the components I use, most are the same.  Take for example a Barnes tac TX.   I use the same bullet and same case as a factory barnes box load of Tax Tx.  Only thing different is primer and powder.  Assuming they don't use H110 for their loads.   From that, how would tell by just looking at a suppressor?    It's my opinion, you can't.  and you can't prove what components are used based upon looking a damage suppressor.   Unless someone has another idea, I just don't see it.  Same applies to pistol loads.  I'm using common bullets like Hornady.

Most precision rifle guys reload their own rounds yet compete with suppressors.  If they have a problem, they are not covered?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I reload.  and curious to know how one would discern between factory ammo and reloads.   From the components I use, most are the same.  Take for example a Barnes tac TX.   I use the same bullet and same case as a factory barnes box load of Tax Tx.  Only thing different is primer and powder.  Assuming they don't use H110 for their loads.   From that, how would tell by just looking at a suppressor?    It's my opinion, you can't.  and you can't prove what components are used based upon looking a damage suppressor.   Unless someone has another idea, I just don't see it.  Same applies to pistol loads.  I'm using common bullets like Hornady.

Most precision rifle guys reload their own rounds yet compete with suppressors.  If they have a problem, they are not covered?
View Quote

Typically it's because gun guys can't keep their mouth shut. They call into manufacturers/ service centers and tell them that they were using reloads.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I've never used Power pistol as it just seems a bit on the slow side to me. I have used powders equal in burn rate to PP for subs but I've had better luck with Solo 1000 in 9mm 147 loads.
There is also data for 45 acp but I've got another can or two of Win 452 before I go that route.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, I had the same problem in 45acp using a 5" 1911 and an Osprey 45.  I'm also using 231.  Here's what I did to reduce the problem

I'm loading 230gr FMJ, and I brought my COAL down to 1.200.  I bumped my charge weight up a hair to 5.3/5.4.

This reduced my blowback by 90%.  I can still feel a hint of it, but its quite tolerable now.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#19]
231 with 5.4 gr and a C.O.L of 1.23" is a no go for me , it has way too much blow back.  Bullseye 4.85 gr. has very little blow back and is o.k. but it wouldn't cycle the guns " 5" 1911" . I put in 14# springs to try. 4.7 gr of 700x is 2nd best so far but it docent like to meter thru the uniflo. 230 gr, fmj is the bullet used. I will try some Tight group and a heaver charge of Bullseye soon. I really want to get some Vihtavuori N-310 to try.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I would think suppressors like the opposite of compensators. Minimum powder to achieve a desired velocity so their is less gas in the barrel / suppressor.

I personally use titegroup or bullseye with heavy bullets. 147 or 165 is my go to for 9mm. Very little powder and no blowback on my 9mm ar.

You could mess with the recoil springs as well to see if it affects blowback. May not be worth it though unless you have some laying around.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had good luck with 3.6gr titegroup, CCI small rifle primer, 124gr bullet.

Virtually no blowback and very quite with a Glock 19 and 45 Octane.

Right around 1000 fps
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't really have much blowback when using the Octane 45 HD on my 9mm sig 226. My blowback problem is when I shoot 45 cap  docent matter if its a 1911 or FNX-45 , bullseye has much less blowback but is very dirty. I am going to try 4.2 gr of Tightgroup with   C.O.L. of 1.2" and see what happens. The 1911s now have factory firing pin stops and 14# recoil springs with Sprinco recoil reducers.I might put the short radius firing pin stops back in with the 14# recoil springs to see if they will run with the Octaine. These 1911s have a cut / slot in the bach of the barrel hood that may worsen the problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top