Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2014 5:50:36 PM EDT
I see Thompson has the Poseidon which looks great size-wise.  How come they're the only ones that offer anything that small?  

Everyone's pistol cans look as long as their rifle cans.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Because micro cans like the Poseidon must be shot wet and wiped for decent suppression, and they get extremely loud after 3-4 shots. The market for these types of micro cans is extraordinarily small since most folks want something as quiet and low maintenance as possible.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I see Thompson has the Poseidon which looks great size-wise.  How come they're the only ones that offer anything that small?  

Everyone's pistol cans look as long as their rifle cans.
View Quote

First, the larger diameter hole in the front (.50" in case of a .45 can) the can must be of a larger volume for adequate performance.  That combines with the need for a Nielsen device (booster) which takes up about the rear quarter of the suppressor.  Compact cans are a niche market.  You can't compare them to full-up pistol cans in terms of performance or reliability.  The Griffin Revolution gives you the option with the same tax stamp of having either a short or long suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I purchased a micro can - the Poseideon in fact - but realistically the market is small, so it doesn't pay for the manufactures to get involved with them.  You're dealing with the mess of a wet can, the mild aggravation of dealing with wipes, and if you look online there's a test of the Poseideon along with another really small can...and the suppression isn't great.  If you understand that the Mazda Miata of silencers isn't going to do what a mini-van will, great...but too many people will/would bitch about them to make it worth while.  I went in with my eyes open, and already owning a Gem-Tech Multimount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top