Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2014 5:08:52 PM EDT
I've been looking really hard at this. It looks fun and easy. I have a couple "real" cans already and I realize that a flashlight silencer isn't likely to be as effective, but I still want to try it.

If this been done by anybody here, I'd like hear your take. Anybody try one on a center fire rifle or pistol?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The is someone on eBay selling flashlight rear ends in different thread specs, for solvent purposes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The is someone on eBay selling flashlight rear ends in different thread specs, for solvent purposes.
View Quote

The old "solvent purposes".  Classic.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Walking Dead?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Does anyone make a Maglite to 51T adapter?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I need a steel Maglite to YHM suppressor mount... you know, in case someone is listening and knows how to do that
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From SilencerTalk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
From SilencerTalk

Thank you. That was very helpful. Looks like pistol calibers should be no trouble at all. Now I want to see if it's possible to make a flashlight based 7.62x39mm can. Here's what I posted to that thread:

'm really interested in this topic. I was thinking of building one for 7.62x39mm. I thought that if I build it with a large (maybe 2" long?) first chamber and a blast baffle made from a 3/8" or 1/4" thick stainless washer, then set the remaining baffles (SS freeze plugs) like this: |[][][][][], they should lend some support to each other. My main concern here is that it is durable enough for 7.62x39mm and still be a low cost Form 1 can. If cost gets much over $100, it starts to lose its attractiveness. Weight and suppression level are distant secondary concerns.

Has anyone made a flashlight based Form 1 silencer that has held up to standard 7.62x39mm or 300 Blackout?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I need a steel Maglite to YHM suppressor mount... you know, in case someone is listening and knows how to do that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's actually not a bad idea. As per the NFA branch, these solvent traps are perfectly legal without any paperwork so long as there is a solid end cap in place. Several people have reported that they are actually pretty useful for that purpose. They are also perfectly legal as silencers if you file a Form 1. $200 stamp + $50 worth of parts beats the snot out of $200 + $700 in price, if not in performance. I fully intend to make a few of these if the first is successful. That doesn't mean I'll stop buying well engineered commercial cans too. It just means that I'll get to have more toys at a lower cost.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thank you. That was very helpful. Looks like pistol calibers should be no trouble at all. Now I want to see if it's possible to make a flashlight based 7.62x39mm can. Here's what I posted to that thread:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From SilencerTalk

'm really interested in this topic. I was thinking of building one for 7.62x39mm. I thought that if I build it with a large (maybe 2" long?) first chamber and a blast baffle made from a 3/8" or 1/4" thick stainless washer, then set the remaining baffles (SS freeze plugs) like this: |[][][][][], they should lend some support to each other. My main concern here is that it is durable enough for 7.62x39mm and still be a low cost Form 1 can. If cost gets much over $100, it starts to lose its attractiveness. Weight and suppression level are distant secondary concerns.

Has anyone made a flashlight based Form 1 silencer that has held up to standard 7.62x39mm or 300 Blackout?

I've been trying to register on that sight for almost a week and haven't been able to get a response.  WTF?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Another option for end caps:

Another option for tubes.  I'm looking at the stainless tube for an F1 build

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I just put one together with the apogee stainless double internal thread tube and sd tactical adapters. Its heavy but works well. It recess into the handgaurds of my 8" 300BLK and I needed to install a set screw to lock the adapter to the tube when unscrewing. Also I pressed the baffles with a large ball bearing to form them more like an M baffles. It suppresses and cost less than 150$. I would like to make it to a HTF shoot so I could compare it to a store bought.

Edit:I see your main question was will it hold up to 300blk super. I have only fired subs so far but I think it will be fine. I also heat treated the baffles and bored the end cap with a large  counter sink taper bit as a last chamber.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just put one together with the apogee stainless double internal thread tube and sd tactical adapters. Its heavy but works well. It recess into the handgaurds of my 8" 300BLK and I needed to install a set screw to lock the adapter to the tube when unscrewing. Also I pressed the baffles with a large ball bearing to form them more like an M baffles. It suppresses and cost less than 150$. I would like to make it to a HTF shoot so I could compare it to a store bought.

Edit:I see your main question was will it hold up to 300blk super. I have only fired subs so far but I think it will be fine. I also heat treated the baffles and bored the end cap with a large  counter sink taper bit as a last chamber.
View Quote

Could you post pictures of it and of it on your gun? i've been looking at building the same thing, but it seems kind of long since i believe it will come out to about 9.3 inches or so.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:35:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Well $150 and $200 to register making it a $350 investment.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well $150 and $200 to register making it a $350 investment.
View Quote
Yup.. I'm looking at half the price of my 762 Phantom SSQD, plus user serviceable to allow cast subsonic.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no doubt the homemade can will provide half the performance  of a Phantom

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#18]
If all the 'components' were purchased on-line, kind of a 'grey area', would it really be like you designed it yourself?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If all the 'components' were purchased on-line, kind of a 'grey area', would it really be like you designed it yourself?
View Quote

Form one isn't always for "designed it myself" builds. It means you built it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I understand.
And, if, you are not satisfied  with the performance, technically-legally you would have to destroy it and start 'fresh'?
I mean like new baffle design, etc.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I understand.
And, if, you are not satisfied  with the performance, technically-legally you would have to destroy it and start 'fresh'?
View Quote

Once assembled into a suppressor, my understanding is that if you are dissatisfied with the performance, you would have to file a new form 1 and build another, or have an 07/02 FFL rebuild the core for you, no rebuilding it yourself.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Once assembled into a suppressor, my understanding is that if you are dissatisfied with the performance, you would have to file a new form 1 and build another, or have an 07/02 FFL rebuild the core for you, no rebuilding it yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By hd. gman:
I understand.

No. As the maker yourself you are allowed to pull out whatever you want, destroy that part and remake a new one. Such as core or baffle. There is a good thread and a letter to the ATF confirming this.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Poor quality photo.8" barrel 9" Seekins rail</a>" />
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Weight of the suppressor?
Does the ACS stock balance it well enough?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No. As the maker yourself you are allowed to pull out whatever you want, destroy that part and remake a new one. Such as core or baffle. There is a good thread and a letter to the ATF confirming this.

View Quote

Did you read the second letter posted in that thread?

Wipes only.

He highlighted parts of the first letter in red to make the letter say something it really doesn't say. The second letter disputes the interpretation of the first.

And if the letter isn't addressed to you, I wouldn't depend on it to help.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Does the ACS stock. alance it well enough?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poor quality photo.8" barrel 9" Seekins railhttp://<a href=. rl=http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p186/cthillbilly/Mobile%20Uploads/2040925_204356.jpg]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p186/cthillbilly/Mobile%20Uploads/20140925_204356.jpg[/url]</a>" />

Does the ACS stock. alance it well enough?

I believe the suppressor made with the stainless tube and steel baffles is under 2lbs. The SDtactical youtube vid shows a quick diy on how it is assembeld, weighs the componets, showed a link to the apogee tubes, and some comparison firing with another can side by side and also shooting 308 through it. It is no lightweight by any means. The stock i have is the ACS-L. Its a pretty good feel compared to the CTR. Being an 8" barrel i really have no concerns about the weight. On a 16" barrel you can surely feel It.

I prefer building all my own stuff so the DIY aspect of this suppressor met all my expectations. The double internal threaded tube made it easy to work with and I have another  form 1 on its way out to make another  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Wipes only.

He highlighted parts of the first letter in red to make the letter say something it really doesn't say. The second letter disputes the interpretation of the first.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wipes only.

If you read through the entire thread it is all addressed accordingly. The other letters didnt take a "Form 1" suppressor into account. The one on Page 8 is as specific and explicit as possible. I confidently believe as the Maker of you own Form 1 suppressor (not a manufacturer) you are GTG as long as you dont have extra parts at any given time.
Its a good thread to read in its entirety so I reccomend anyone to go through it and make your own decision.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you read through the entire thread it is all addressed accordingly. The other letters didnt take a "Form 1" suppressor into account. The one on Page 8 is as specific and explicit as possible. I confidently believe as the Maker of you own Form 1 suppressor (not a manufacturer) you are GTG as long as you dont have extra parts at any given time.
Its a good thread to read in its entirety so I reccomend anyone to go through it and make your own decision.
View Quote

I've read through it before, and did again.

I still think it was highlighted and interpreted in such a way to get the answer they wanted.

That being said, I don't have the skill or equipment to make my own the way I'd want to. I refuse to hammer a couple freeze plugs into a tube and call it good enough. So, I'll let everybody else do as you said and read through it and make their own decision, and not rehash that conversation here. And I'll unfortunately have to continue to buy cans on Form 4s for 2x-5x the cost.

ETA: for the record, I definitely think you should be able to repair an F1 build, just like a SOT can repair their cans (as long as the serialized portion stays the same)...I just don't think that's the ATF's stance.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
Since nobody else is asking the tough questions I will.  How's it sound?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm also curious about the aluminum endcaps.  Are you concerned about the durability when used on a centerfire rifle?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:39:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I have no doubt the homemade can will provide half the performance  of a Phantom  
View Quote
I guess you missed this part... "plus user serviceable to allow cast subsonic."
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:23:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't miss it, I just don't think the other side of the plus is going to add up to much compared to a Phantom unless better materials and manufacturing are used.  The suppressors I buy are all user serviceable to allow cast subsonic, as long as they are cleaned.  The monocores take more cleaning than the others but it's all the same.  Plus my cans are all top of the line in suppression, materials, weight, durability, mounts, blah blah blah.

Sure, mine cost a lot more, but are better at suppression and will last a long time taking the harshest loads and full auto abuse, plus they are all serviceable.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I didn't miss it, I just don't think the other side of the plus is going to add up to much compared to a Phantom unless better materials and manufacturing are used.  The suppressors I buy are all user serviceable to allow cast subsonic, as long as they are cleaned.  The monocores take more cleaning than the others but it's all the same.  Plus my cans are all top of the line in suppression, materials, weight, durability, mounts, blah blah blah.  

Sure, mine cost a lot more, but are better at suppression and will last a long time taking the harshest loads and full auto abuse, plus they are all serviceable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enough of the thread derail..

Seems this option would get you into a rifle caliber can for under 400$ including stamp.  In for the sound level answer and hopefully some more folks with advise.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've been trying to register on that sight for almost a week and haven't been able to get a response.  WTF?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From SilencerTalk

Couldn't tell ya. I've been a member there for years but only post rarely. This forum seems to offer about the same info with a better balance of fanbois.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#35]
What to do about the hole where the switch would be?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mount the can with it straight up and call it a compensator?

-bob
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sleeve inside that covers the hole. Or cut the tube off just behind the switch.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Kind of a different direction than you guys sre going but has anyone built a micro 22 can? I want one for my daughters cricket and I've been thinking of doing a little form 1 can. A little pink maglite may make a nice light suppressor
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Kind of a different direction than you guys sre going but has anyone built a micro 22 can? I want one for my daughters cricket and I've been thinking of doing a little form 1 can. A little pink maglite may make a nice light suppressor
View Quote

Something along the lines of a TM Wasp? .875"x3.875" and 3oz. That would be nice.
Or make something simple like this? (Monocore to slide in the pink maglite?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Something along the lines of a TM Wasp? .875"x3.875" and 3oz. That would be nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats exactly the can I had in mind.

That core looks easy to build. I'm thinking if the core works it could be super small because of the cricket barrel size. If I'm not mistaking they thread those small and have to put an adapter on the to get up to 1/2x28.  I'd only use it on the cricket so a bastard thread size wouldn't bother me at all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Back to one of the original questions?
How well does it work?
A home video filmed during a rainstorm, and the mic splattered with wind is hardly scientific.
I would think having a tube and caps available would benefit a -non-machinist.
However machinist skills would be required to create a more efficient baffle assembly.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

You put a baffle spacer in that location or use the tube from the link that is in this thread like I did. It has no hole and is internal threaded both ends so it doesnt look goofy. Really nothing about the supperssor is "flashlight"  other than the OD of the tube (1.55")and the thread pitch internally.

I would like to reply on how quiet mine is but I dont have any friends that have suppressors and i prefer not to go to public ranges if i can avoid it.  I know it is cheap, very effective, and fun to make.

I Feel many higher end suppressors are expensive because they are made of exotic light weight materials and claim a few db's more reduction than others. I will probably get one someday, but right now i am beyond satified with my form 1 can and reccomend it for anyone with the most basic skills and tools. When I shoot boolits, it is quieter. Mission accomplished.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:28:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You put a baffle spacer in that location or use the tube from the link that is in this thread like I did. It has no hole and is internal threaded both ends so it doesnt look goofy. Really nothing about the supperssor is "flashlight"  other than the OD of the tube (1.55")and the thread pitch internally.

I would like to reply on how quiet mine is but I dont have any friends that have suppressors and i prefer not to go to public ranges if i can avoid it.  I know it is cheap, very effective, and fun to make.

I Feel many higher end suppressors are expensive because they are made of exotic light weight materials and claim a few db's more reduction than others. I will probably get one someday, but right now i am beyond satified with my form 1 can and reccomend it for anyone with the most basic skills and tools. When I shoot boolits, it is quieter. Mission accomplished.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

anyone know where one might procure steel endcaps? I would really rather not visit a machinist in town and pay through the nose for two stainless caps.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:31:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

anyone know where one might procure steel endcaps? I would really rather not visit a machinist in town and pay through the nose for two stainless caps.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:02:05 AM EDT
[#45]
My "Ranb parts replacement letter" from the BATFE is really making the rounds since I posted it.  For what it's worth the way I read the letter, only wipes are replaceable by the non-incensed owner and that is what I tell people.  

Back on topic.  While silencers with threaded end caps are okay, I'm never going to make another one with aluminum and threaded caps that needs to be taken apart for cleaning or maintenance.  Every aluminum can I made eventually got stuck together.  I'm using all stainless with end caps welded in place now.  My high powered rifle cans stay gunk free for the most part and I can use the dip to chemically clean the rim fire ones I make in the future.  There is a local hazmat facility that says they will take the lead acetate from me for proper disposal at no charge.

Randy
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmaglite++trap.TRS0&_nkw=maglite++trap&_sacat=0

Nothing on ebay is steel end caps.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My "Ranb parts replacement letter" from the BATFE is really making the rounds since I posted it.  For what it's worth the way I read the letter, only wipes are replaceable by the non-incensed owner and that is what I tell people.  

Back on topic.  While silencers with threaded end caps are okay, I'm never going to make another one with aluminum and threaded caps that needs to be taken apart for cleaning or maintenance.  Every aluminum can I made eventually got stuck together.  I'm using all stainless with end caps welded in place now.  My high powered rifle cans stay gunk free for the most part and I can use the dip to chemically clean the rim fire ones I make in the future.  There is a local hazmat facility that says they will take the lead acetate from me for proper disposal at no charge.

Randy
View Quote

Exactly how I interpreted the letter as well. No questions were ever specifically asked about wipes or their replacement but yet that is what they specifically wrote back about.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmaglite++trap.TRS0&_nkw=maglite++trap&_sacat=0

Apogee products is making steel tubes. SD tactical is making steel end caps. 12 pg thread in the suppressor forum

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Apogee products is making steel tubes. SD tactical is making steel end caps. 12 pg thread in the suppressor forum  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah thanks but the guy I quoted pointed out ebay.  I have followed the other thread from day 1.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top