Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2014 5:03:18 PM EDT
ive been eyeing a Gem-Tech Mist 22 lately and want to know if it is worth the money and time for a standard 10/22 compared to just a 10/22 with a can threaded on the end.  only other rimfires i have are a 17hmr bolt gun, and a mark III (neither of which have threaded barrels). the 10/22 doesn't have a threaded barrel either but i have access to a lathe and can thread them all myself.

i deploy here within the next couple weeks and would really like to pull the trigger on a rimfire can (or integrally suppressed barrel) and a 9mm can before i leave.

Link to said Integrally Suppressed Barrel
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I see significant advantages to a suppressed rifle that looks like an unsuppressed rifle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Integrally Suppressed Pros:

Shortest possible package – the entire barrel is 17” versus a 16” barrel with a suppressor screwed on the end (unless you SBR the gun).
Good sound suppression even with high velocity ammo – It appears the Mist barrel is designed so high velocity rounds will not go supersonic.
Better balance
Sneaky, looks like a heavy barrel

Integrally suppressed Cons:

More difficult to clean
Limited to that rifle only
Lose of muzzle velocity if that is a concern

Detachable suppressor Pros:

Multi gun usage
Multi caliber use (In some cases rimfire cans will handle .22 mag, .17 HMR and others)
Easier cleaning – Not to be read as easy to clean, just easier than the integral.

Detachable Cons:

Longer rifle/pistol
Added weight on the muzzle end
Sometimes blocks sights or causes distraction from the sights
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Shortest possible package – the entire barrel is 17” versus a 16” barrel with a suppressor screwed on the end (unless you SBR the gun).
Good sound suppression even with high velocity ammo – It appears the Mist barrel is designed so high velocity rounds will not go supersonic.
Better balance

More difficult to clean actually the mist 22 has a sleeve that threads over the barrel to make cleaning easy, which is my main pro for this route. the pic threw me off but you can see it once you look for it
Lose of muzzle velocity if that is a concern this is my biggest con for this route, i would like it to be effective for little varmits out to 100-150 yards

Multi gun usage this i my main pro for this route
Multi caliber use (In some cases rimfire cans will handle .22 mag, .17 HMR and others)
Easier cleaning – Not to be read as easy to clean, just easier than the integral. this was my main con for this route, compared to being able to disassemble the mist 22

Detachable Cons:

Longer rifle/pistol
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Getting a Mist apart for cleaning would be a lot easier than most, and you can use standard ammo without it going supersonic, which is a major problem with most rifles.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Silencer Shop has Sparrows in stock. $100 cheaper and you can put it on everything, and it doesn't get much easier to clean than that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lose of muzzle velocity if that is a concern this is my biggest con for this route, i would like it to be effective for little varmits out to 100-150 yards

Easier cleaning – Not to be read as easy to clean, just easier than the integral. this was my main con for this route, compared to being able to disassemble the mist 22

I have a YHM integral and love it.  The fact that the barrel is not ported was a big selling point for me as I can shoot subs when I want to be quiet and supers if I want velocity.  Due to the large volume of the can the performance is very good.  I have shot next to an element and can't tell the difference.  As for cleaning it is very easy to disassemble.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two....a tba and thompson machine. Love them. Very quiet with anything and very discreet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I also have a TBA looks no different than a bull barrel and is super quiet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:09:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Better balance

Ported barrel reduces velocity eliminating need for subsonic ammo for max suppression, barrel can be long without concern for producing supersonic velocities
More difficult to clean

Lose of muzzle velocity if that is a concern
Multi gun usage

Easier cleaning – Not to be read as easy to clean, just easier than the integral.
Detachable Cons:

Must use subsonic ammo for maximum suppression if the barrel is long enough to produce supersonic velocity

Longer rifle/pistol

View Quote

My Mist-22 is in jail.  Easy access for cleaning with tube removed.

Barrel is ported so all ammo is subsonic.  No need to shoot subsonic ammo like you do with an external can for max suppression.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#10]
thanks for all the replies everybody! being totaly silent isn't really a big concern to me, i just need to shoot quieter so i dont scare the cows! and yes the cows spook when shooting my 22 in rapid succession.

i think i will be going for the mist 22! the 10/22 is by far my favorite to shoot compared to the 17hmr, and i despise the mark III b/c of cleaning it and honestly would get rid of it if it wasn't so accurate! thanks again ppl!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#11]
It's your call, but for your first .22 can I would get a seperate can instead of a barrel can combo.

Far more versitle, able to use it on different rifles, and pistols.  Easier to clean that a rifle set up, and the Sparrow is a very quiet and rock solid can.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's your call, but for your first .22 can I would get a seperate can instead of a barrel can combo.

Far more versitle, able to use it on different rifles, and pistols.  Easier to clean that a rifle set up, and the Sparrow is a very quiet and rock solid can.

Good luck.
View Quote

This is good advice.  The integral barrels are awesome, and worth every penny, but not first or given your situation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I would normally say no to integrals, but 10/22s with short 5" barrels just dont handle right and look goofy.  An integral 10/22 might be the only integral I would seriously consider.

I ended up with a micro innovative arms can, still pretty quiet and rimfire rifles with subsonic ammo are generally pretty quiet to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More difficult to clean actually the mist 22 has a sleeve that threads over the barrel to make cleaning easy, which is my main pro for this route. the pic threw me off but you can see it once you look for it Easy of disassembly in this case does not mean easy to clean. At least part of your baffles are partially covered in the barrel channel in the stock. If you remove the action from the stock then yes the baffles are just as easily cleaned as any other suppressor but then you may end up having to re-zero the rifle. On the same note I haven't seen any first hand reviews on the Mist so concluding it is easy to take apart based on what you see in a picture is just a guess. The next question I have is how easy will it be to unscrew the tube when it is caked with build up and how well can you clean that long tube?

Lose of muzzle velocity if that is a concern this is my biggest con for this route, i would like it to be effective for little varmits out to 100-150 yards If you are more concerned with maintaining muzzle velocity, at least in certain cases, I don't think the Mist is the route you want to go on your first purchase.

Easier cleaning – Not to be read as easy to clean, just easier than the integral. this was my main con for this route, compared to being able to disassemble the mist 22 The disassembly process on most cans is not difficult. The Sparrow and a couple others is a simple process. I own an Element 2 and Pilot 2, to take them apart it is a little more involved (proper tools are required) but its not like it takes all day. It takes me all of two minutes to push the baffle stack out.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#15]
great, now im up in the air again! lol i see the pro's and con's of both and neither one seems to stand out more than the other.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
great, now im up in the air again! lol i see the pro's and con's of both and neither one seems to stand out more than the other.
View Quote

Just get the muzzle can right now, perhaps a spectre II or a sparrow.  You will enjoy being able to move it around to different hosts.  if you still want an integral in a few months, get one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#17]
yeah im leaning towards that now. im just gonna have to go down to my lgs and see what all they have in for cans, compare prices, etc. Thanks for all the help and advice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top