Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 12:08:18 PM EDT
This is my first suppressor purchase and I can't decide which one to get.  There are so many.  

I originally wanted the SDN-6 as I want a versatile can but looking at other suppressors has me second thinking it.  I also like the looks of the Saker 7.62 because of all the adaptability it has and the mounts are cheaper (also cheaper to pin and weld at adco).

I have two .300blk's and several 5.56's (no AR-10's). This might be my only purchase for a while so I would like to be one and done.  Except maybe a .22 can.

How did some of you guys decide on your first suppressor purchase?  

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Which is it -- AR-10 or 5.56 (AR-15)?

A good 7.62 suppressor will do all the above. Check out the Specwar too.

It really depends on what you want - there are many factors. Price, availability, sound reduction, weight, length, diameter, mounting requirements.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It really depends on what you want - there are many factors. Price, availability, sound reduction, weight, length, diameter, mounting requirements.
View Quote

No ar10s. I don't like the long suppressors and I don't have any ARs set up as a spr.  Lightweight and short is what I had in my mind but decent sound reduction.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is my first suppressor purchase and I can't decide which one to get.  There are so many.  

I originally wanted the SDN-6 as I want a versatile can but looking at other suppressors has me second thinking it.  I also like the looks of the Saker 7.62 because of all the adaptability it has and the mounts are cheaper (also cheaper to pin and weld at adco).

I have two .300blk's and several 5.56's (no AR-10's). This might be my only purchase for a while so I would like to be one and done.  Except maybe a .22 can.

View Quote

Reality is there is a lot of good stuff on market and the trick is to avoid the junk.

Most people make a mistake when doing a first purchase. I think you are on right track getting a do-all 762 can for 762/300BLK/556. A 22 can and then maybe a 40/45 pistol can to cover those calibers and smaller and you pretty much have everything covered.

The first thing I would NOT do is buy based on what local dealer has in-stock. Look state wide. Any place in NC is an easy drive same day. Next look country wide but in-stock. this will ad some time, but it is only a few weeks and you get what you want.

I would try to avoid a shop that might not be around in a few years. That will make getting mounts hard. GemTech, KAC, AAC have been around a long time. Sadly SWR is gone.

I would not buy on price, buy on quality.Buy Once, Cry Once and all that.

Try and seek out others in your area to try before you buy. Be careful of fanbois who love everything a given MFG makes or hates everything a given MFG makes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Im mostly looking at silencer shop and trying to decide.  They make it so easy to buy with there new SS direct.

Im almost sold on the new Saker but its just hard to make the decision.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Im mostly looking at silencer shop and trying to decide.  They make it so easy to buy with there new SS direct.

Im almost sold on the new Saker but its just hard to make the decision.
View Quote

SS makes it easy to shop, but there are local options for you to consider. Scott at tarheelstatefirearms.com and Hank/Eric at ncsilencer.com will both be good contacts for you to have. That's where most of mine have come from.

Honestly, as this point, there are many quality options out there. The mounting system is probably the first think I'd look at, after tossing out the companies with horrible products and customer service.

One neat option out there is the Saker due to it's MAAD mounting system. If you opt for a Specwar, or a YHM can, or an AAC 51T can, you could buy a Saker down the road and use the same muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I started with a YHM Stinger. Many people recommend starting with a rimfire. I absolutly love shooting it.
Second is a YHM 308 for a Blackout SBR.
Third was the AAC Evo 9mm. I bought that because of the price and good reviews.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I second Scott at tarheelstatefirearms.com .  He is a stocking dealer and will be very competitive with pricing.  If you're near Charlotte I'm sure he'd meet up and let you demo a few.

If you're up near the Triangle check with Shawn at Carolina Smoke and Guns, whose also very knowledgeable and may have some you can demo.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No ar10s. I don't like the long suppressors and I don't have any ARs set up as a spr.  Lightweight and short is what I had in my mind but decent sound reduction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oops I misread that. The saker is a short lightweight option with very good suppression, from a company with proven customer service.

I ended up with a spec war 5.56 and an octane 9 for subsonic 300 blk.

I don't have any 30 caliber rifles but if I got one I would probably go with the Harvester for a lightweight, low-volume shooting.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I started with a YHM Stinger. Many people recommend starting with a rimfire. I absolutly love shooting it.
Second is a YHM 308 for a Blackout SBR.
Third was the AAC Evo 9mm. I bought that because of the price and good reviews.
View Quote

That is how it starts, with just the First One! I started with a YHM 3200 .30 Cal back in 2010, now I have 4 in the safe with 2 more in jail!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#10]
sdn6- lighter than a saker 762. warranty goes down to a 8.5 inch barrel on 556

then saker 556

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
sdn6- lighter than a saker 762. warranty goes down to a 8.5 inch barrel on 556

then saker 556

View Quote

They changed the warranty again. It's now 8.5 barrels in 300blk.
Link

And I chose the 7.62sd because I couldn't tell a difference in weight from the sdn6 and the extra inch of length was worth for the cost savings.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy all of them.

I've got an SDN6 and a pending M4-2000.

The SDN6 is nice, works on everything but its big and its heavy and its long.

If I could do it again knowing what I know about silencers I'd just grab myself a Surefire Mini and be done with it.  And when that wore out, I'd buy another, newer version of the mini can.  

They suppress at 85% of the larger brothers at like 60-70% of the size, so in my opinion - especially on a gun that you're going to run and gun with or hold up free standing.. go with the mini.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I have four in various stages at this point, but being the somewhat impatient person I am, I efiled a Form 1 for a 22 suppressor to help ease the wait...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Buy all of them.

I've got an SDN6 and a pending M4-2000.

The SDN6 is nice, works on everything but its big and its heavy and its long.

If I could do it again knowing what I know about silencers I'd just grab myself a Surefire Mini and be done with it.  And when that wore out, I'd buy another, newer version of the mini can.  

They suppress at 85% of the larger brothers at like 60-70% of the size, so in my opinion - especially on a gun that you're going to run and gun with or hold up free standing.. go with the mini.
View Quote

+1...   My first rifle can was a SDN6, my second rifle can is a Surefire Mini.   To the shooter ear, they are nearly the same as a large can, maybe even quieter as there is less blowback and therefore less port noise.   And for rifle cans, you are really aiming for hearing combat safe anyway.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#15]
If I had the money I would go Surefire or KAC (unobtanium)....
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#16]
why Surefire over something else that is much less expensive such as specwar, saker, M4-2000?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:15:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
why Surefire over something else that is much less expensive such as specwar, saker, M4-2000?
View Quote

Because the Surefire mount is so much better than a Saker or AAC 51T.   Specwar seemed pretty good and based on the mounting system, I would take it over the Saker anyday.

I also got a great price on the Surefire so that helped.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:26:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Because the Surefire mount is so much better than a Saker or AAC 51T.   Specwar seemed pretty good and based on the mounting system, I would take it over the Saker anyday.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is wrong with the Saker's mount? It is absolutely rock solid and is very easy off and on one handed.  I can't imagine the Surefire mount is significantly better.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone I've spoke with said the Saker mount is one of the best.  I think I'm going to bite the bullet on the Saker 7.62.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#20]
^^ That was what I ordered as my first.  Good choice...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#21]
With multiple rifles u will want a QD mount. Personally I don't recommend the once size fits all strategy as you will end up with a can larger and heavier than it needs to be and most first time buyers dont understand how big of a difference a 10oz vs 20oz bs 30oz feels on the end of a gun. I understand some people don't have the budget but at the same time I see ppl with a dozen+ ar15 collection complaining and it's like hey sell one your guns and buy a suppressor! Quality > quantity
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
With multiple rifles u will want a QD mount. Personally I don't recommend the once size fits all strategy as you will end up with a can larger and heavier than it needs to be and most first time buyers dont understand how big of a difference a 10oz vs 20oz bs 30oz feels on the end of a gun. I understand some people don't have the budget but at the same time I see ppl with a dozen+ ar15 collection complaining and it's like hey sell one your guns and buy a suppressor! Quality > quantity
View Quote

This is exactly what I did to start this (trying to compromise with the wife and having a baby).  Never really wanted one till i shot my friends and I can use it for hunting too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is exactly what I did to start this (trying to compromise with the wife and having a baby).  Never really wanted one till i shot my friends and I can use it for hunting too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive just kept my firearm collection small from the start and focused on accessories, gear and ammo. My wife and i both have sub-compact pistols for CCW and i recently bought a full-auto M16 so ill prob sell my old AR15. The only firearms i would like to get would be a high quality semi-auto shotgun for shooting clays but when i go its always with my Dad and he has several so it seems unnecessary. People know i love to shoot and assume i have this massive gun collection and always seem surprised i have so few.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Everyone I've spoke with said the Saker mount is one of the best.  I think I'm going to bite the bullet on the Saker 7.62.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just recently jumped into the nfa world. Both are still in jail.

After reading up a ton on the sakers, I was sold.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I wanted Titanium so that knocked it down to three choices: Thunderbeast, YHM or Gemtech.

Went with YHM since it was the lightest, came with a mount and cost $850 from silencer shop.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Whatever has great reviews and is in the case at my local gun shop so that I don't have to wait on a form 3.

Or, that one time that I found a decent 9mm can on the GemTax promotion, that was a no brainer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:57:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I have old cans from like 15 years ago.  I need new ones.  This is what I have.

SRT Commanche, Gemtech Operator (pistol), SOS-9, SOS-40, SOS-45, MK-9/45, Raptor, Vortex, M4-96D, KAC MP5SD Navy, OEM German MP5SD can. I had an AWC HRT but sold it.

This is how I decided what new to get.

I already have Gemtech bi-lock mounts and I like their cans so I ordered some.  I needed one for .30 cal precision so got that.  I also had one AAC mount on an upper, so I got a can to go with it.  Then I got a smattering of what I thought I felt was best for my applications.  So this is what I ordered, all at once.

Gemtech Quicksand, Mist-22, G5-22, TREK-T, G5-T, GMT-HALO, Viper 9mm, AAC 762-SDN-6, Ti-Rant 9, Ti-Rant 45, Thunderbeast 30P-1, and Silencer Co Octane 45, Octane 9, Sparrow, Spectre, and Warlock.

I then realized I needed a Saker 7.62 so that was put on order a few months later.  I'm holding off on the Salvo 12 for the next generation to work out kinks and add and improve features.  I am still looking for a MK-9K.  I'm also tempted by the new Mystic.

All my newly ordered suppressors are just now in jail.  Tomorrow I go get a crap load of fingerprint cards done, then I go get a crap load of forms signed off, then I get to pay a crap load in tax stamps, $3400.

So, did I miss or overlook a suppressor to get?  I chose the ARFcom way.  Don't decide, just get both or in my case just get them all.

Did I mention I also had to buy a crap load of mounts, pistons, and end caps?

ETA:  Might have to add one more.  I understand one of my only options to tame a 11" .308 full auto I have is going to be an AAC MG-SD.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

SRT Commanche, Gemtech Operator (pistol), SOS-9, SOS-40, SOS-45, MK-9/45, Raptor, Vortex, M4-96D, KAC MP5SD Navy, OEM German MP5SD can. I had an AWC HRT but sold it.

I already have Gemtech bi-lock mounts and I like their cans so I ordered some.  I needed one for .30 cal precision so got that.  I also had one AAC mount on an upper, so I got a can to go with it.  Then I got a smattering of what I thought I felt was best for my applications.  So this is what I ordered, all at once.

Gemtech Quicksand, Mist-22, G5-22, TREK-T, G5-T, GMT-HALO, Viper 9mm, AAC 762-SDN-6, Ti-Rant 9, Ti-Rant 45, Thunderbeast 30P-1, and Silencer Co Octane 45, Octane 9, Sparrow, Spectre, and Warlock.

I then realized I needed a Saker 7.62 so that was put on order a few months later.  I'm holding off on the Salvo 12 for the next generation to work out kinks and add and improve features.  I am still looking for a MK-9K.  I'm also tempted by the new Mystic.

All my newly ordered suppressors are just now in jail.  Tomorrow I go get a crap load of fingerprint cards done, then I go get a crap load of forms signed off, then I get to pay a crap load in tax stamps, $3400.

So, did I miss or overlook a suppressor to get?  I chose the ARFcom way.  Don't decide, just get both or in my case just get them all.

ETA:  Might have to add one more.  I understand one of my only options to tame a 11" .308 full auto I have is going to be an AAC MG-SD.

View Quote

You joust bought like $20k worth of suppressors and tax stamps?@!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought surefire.  I openly admit I am a huge fan of surefire and do have friends within the company...however...I am currently trying to push two friends to buy aac cans due to their budget and the new 556dt price point. I am not a "mine is good all the rest are crap" kind of mindset holder here.

I bought surefire because of the mount originally. I still feel it has the best and most stupid proof mount system. Originally I was all set on an m4 SPR or whatever the big reflex can from aac was. I was chasing dB reduction. My realization became, before I ordered,  that I was suppressing an m4 and m4s are loud. Period. The action alone is 119db. The bullet itself generates around 147db in flight. So...as soon as the bullet exits your 133db rated can...it screams out at 147db...

...looking further into it, I learned that suppressed guns generate more noise from the ejection port than the muzzle, and the more backpressure they have, the more noise this comes to. The m4 SPR is actually one of the loudest metering cans at the shooters ear. The aac mini4 is much quieter...which brings me full circle to my choice of surefire. They have less backpressure than any other suppressor I am aware of with the exception of OSS, which I have no experience with.   They surefire suppressors, by the numbers, are nicest to the shooters ear. The mounts are great. The cans are light and small. The build quality and durability are excellent and the customer service is superb.

This is why I continue to buy surefire suppressors and recommend them. If money is the reason one won't buy a sf can...I recommend the saker or a aac.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And all I can say is hellll yeah boy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you actually tried it yourself?  With a perfectly clean demo gun and can, it seems the only guy that can consistently mount and unmount the thing is the owner of my LGS.  Several other guys in the shop, people with many of their own cans curse at it when trying to remove and re-install it.  I am sure with practice you would get better, but looking at how it works, it would seem to be troublesome when dirty.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ought to see my machine guns (look at my "What can for 11" .308?" thread to see some of them.  If you can afford a $25,000 M16 and more, what's $10K or $20K on suppressors? This is a one time full wave replacement plan for my old cans, future cans will dribble in.  I think the cans I ordered cost me something like $13 or $14K.  But I still owe for damn stamps.  If I had to transfer everything to a trust, that would be $3400 plus another 7 MG's, 1 SBR, and 2 SBS's for a total of $5400.  I think I'll stay with personal ownership.

And it never ends, I just got a new well paying job.  I see more suppressors and possibly another MG or two in the future.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

And before you ask "How can you afford so much NFA?"  1)  I got most of it when I was a C3 dealer and the prices weren't ridiculous.  I paid $2200 for my M16.  2) I'm not married and have no kids.

You should see my ammo stash. BUWAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Might make you feel a little better to know that I missed out on any sales and the "Damn the Man" deal.  Also, I am not getting my Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend this year ($1800+) and to save money, you will often see me shooting my flint lock.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You ought to see my machine guns (look at my "What can for 11" .308?" thread to see some of them.  If you can afford a $25,000 M16 and more, what's $10K or $20K on suppressors? This is a one time full wave replacement plan for my old cans, future cans will dribble in.  I think the cans I ordered cost me something like $13 or $14K.  But I still owe for damn stamps.  If I had to transfer everything to a trust, that would be $3400 plus another 7 MG's, 1 SBR, and 2 SBS's for a total of $5400.  I think I'll stay with personal ownership.

And it never ends, I just got a new well paying job.  I see more suppressors and possibly another MG or two in the future.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

And before you ask "How can you afford so much NFA?"  1)  I got most of it when I was a C3 dealer and the prices weren't ridiculous.  I paid $2200 for my M16.  2) I'm not married and have no kids.

Might make you feel a little better to know that I missed out on any sales and the "Damn the Man" deal.  Also, I am not getting my Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend this year ($1800+) and to save money, you will often see me shooting my flint lock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome, wish I could have got my m16 for $2k but I don't think I was alive when they cost that much
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Jeez, now I feel old.  I'm 46. Those prices are from the late 90's.  My M11 cost $400 and you can't hardly buy a decent handgun for that.

But as to OP, I recommend starting with a rimfire can for that hollywood quiet.  That gets you hooked into buying more suppressors.  Then you go get your first rifle, then handgun suppressor, not necessarily in that order.  Now with the advent of very user serviceable cans, you can even skip the rimfire but who wants a rifle or pistol can hanging on the end of a small rimfire gun?

Sparrow

Saker 7.62 with 5.56 end cap

Octane 45

Many substitutions may be made but that covers rimfire, 9mm/.45, and 5.56/.308

If getting only one can and you can put aside suppressing .308 then the new Mystic - if the new one being lighter allows for reliable performance on the semi-auto pistols.

As a first can, one that has multi mount and piston options would be important, so you can use it across as many platforms as you can.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Well I decided and purchased the Saker 7.62 from Silencer Shop.  Now to sit and wait.

I choose that suppressor for the versatility mostly.  My next purchase will definitely be a rimfire can and or a 5.56 can.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Well I decided and purchased the Saker 7.62 from Silencer Shop.  Now to sit and wait.

I choose that suppressor for the versatility mostly.  My next purchase will definitely be a rimfire can and or a 5.56 can.  

View Quote

^^^ THIS

Exactly what I would have recommended myself.  Get the rimfire next, then the 5.56.  You did the right thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top