Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2014 11:04:29 AM EDT
After shooting the other day i ended up having to wait a half hour before my can was cool enough to put in my pelican case without melting the foam.

Im thinking i should get some sort of cover for it.  Since i dont plan on leaving the cover on while i shoot and its a thread on mount that stays on my mk18 upper is it really worth paying $100+ for a fancy looking suppressor cover? or should i just go to wal-mart and buy a large oven mitt/towel and wrap it in that when im done shooting and want to put it in the case without waiting for it to fully cool off?

thanks!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Make one of these:

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#2]
if your not going to have it on while shooting just get an oven mitt or something , it will work just fine.

i have fancy suppressor covers and still use an oven mitt alot
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Air cooled Pmag?  More info please...

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

MAHA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

MAHA

I think its just an empty mag body with a hole cut in it.  The fan blows cooling air into the mag and through the rifle and barrel.

ETA: Molon Labe dust cover on a Cali fucked rifle
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a boyers group suppressor cover.  I got mine from silencershop for 35 shipped.  I can say it works pretty good after last weekend.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think its just an empty mag body with a hole cut in it.  The fan blows cooling air into the mag and through the rifle and barrel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

MAHA

Yup.  I'm thinking about making one to see how well it works.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not sure I'd want to put a hot can into a case cover or not. I use one of the bowers rubber covers on my Bowers VERS 9S, but it's so I can touch, hold onto and remove the can during and after shooting.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I use an oven mitt for my ti-rant.

When I first got my ti-rant, I was so excited to shoot it I went to the range, screwed it on and blasted like 5 boxes through it. I didn't think things through and realized it was hot as fuck. so I literally sat there for 20 min not shooting (out of ammo) while it cooled off so I could take it off and put it away to leave. I stopped by the store on the way home and bought an oven mitt. Benn in my suppressor bag ever since.

I don't have my rifle can yet (jail) but I guess I will just use the mitt. $100 oven mitt seems pretty crazy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#9]
You could always buy a spare barrel bag. When you're done at the range pop off the upper with the can or throw your pistol in the bag and go.

$56
http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/Bulldog-Tactical-Equipment-Spare-Barrel-Bag-10050-p/1469.htm

Cheaper than some of the super high speed stuff out there. Although I'd love a cheap sleeve to throw over the muzzle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Welder's mitt from amazon
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:00:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I use welder's gloves.  I shoot a lot of full auto so my cans are hotter than piss.  One glove pair I have is good for 1500F, then I switch to my welding glove mittens good for 2000. After that I have these micro chain mail looking covers that go over the mitts so I can go to 2500+.

I usually only need my 1500F gloves.

I have also learned to not shoot my cans (at least in full auto), the last 30 minutes of my range session.  They are still hot when I put them away, but not hot enough to cause damage.  If I let someone dump a mag, I know I must wait again.

Every round of 5.56 raises the temperature of my M4-96D by 7 degrees.  Assuming it's 70deg ambient, my can is 280 degrees after the first mag dump, 490 after the second, 700 after the third and so it goes until I stop or the can blows up.  Can's will reach a temperature at which they cool as fast as they heat, but at that temperature of equilibrium, the can's metal is much weakened.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not sure I'd want to put a hot can into a case cover or not. I use one of the bowers rubber covers on my Bowers VERS 9S, but it's so I can touch, hold onto and remove the can during and after shooting.
View Quote

exactly...  I use one of these, may want to use it with at least mechanic gloves in case your hand slips or you catch the edge of the can when holding the blanket.

also plush enough that it keeps the can from rolling off.   I take the can off, let it cool a bit on the blanket and then roll it up and stick it in my bag.  It will still be too hot to touch bare handed a half hour later when I get home.

http://www.velvetshield.com/index.html

http://www.zoro.com/g/Welding%20Screens%20And%20Curtains/00058620/
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You could always buy a spare barrel bag. When you're done at the range pop off the upper with the can or throw your pistol in the bag and go.

$56
http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/Bulldog-Tactical-Equipment-Spare-Barrel-Bag-10050-p/1469.htm

Cheaper than some of the super high speed stuff out there. Although I'd love a cheap sleeve to throw over the muzzle.
View Quote

Thanks for that.

I found a used Bulldog on ebay for cheaper,  and in coyote.  

One of the ranges I go to uses rubber on their bench tops,  this will be perfect for laying hot rifles/pistols with suppressors attached, to prevent melting.

OP, I use suppressor covers on my rifle cans for mirage and to prevent burns when slinging.  I've used Armageddon covers (TBAC's endorsement) and Rifles Only's FTW cover which the inner core is rated to 3,000 degrees.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
If I could extend on this question - I understood one of the primary uses for suppressor covers to be eliminating mirage as they heat up.  Obviously, only applicable to certain configurations...  How effective are they at this?  Is it going to help for "just a few more rounds" on a high-magnification scope/rifle or are they more effective than that?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one of these Manta covers.  I haven't used it all that much, but it seems to work fine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have one of these Manta covers.  I haven't used it all that much, but it seems to work fine.
View Quote

I know where you can get one of those for $40 shipped.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't cover a suppressor unless maybe to prevent heat risers in slow fire.

My cans take long enough as it is to cool.

I also wouldn't mount them under rails unless I decided I like my rails blistering hot and wanted to wait longer for the can to cool since the rail will interfere with air flow.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought an "ov-glove" from amazon for like $6 and it is awesome for red hot can removal!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#19]
This is probably going to sound really stupid, and no I haven't done it yet, but once you take the can off, can you pour water on the outside of it or something? I mean if you need to cool it down in a hurry.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is probably going to sound really stupid, and no I haven't done it yet, but once you take the can off, can you pour water on the outside of it or something? I mean if you need to cool it down in a hurry.
View Quote

I would not recommend this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I ordered a piece of nomex and sewed covers for my suppressors.Cost 10 dollars for 6 covers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After rethinking this, is it because the temp variations could change the crystalline structure of the metal? Pop welds, etc?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top