Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2014 10:49:52 PM EDT
Anybody have experience with these? I was hoping to get one for use on my pending PS90 and some 5.56s. I already have a 7.62 SDN-6 so I'm less inclined to get a M4-2000.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one right now on a PS-90 SBR-- works great... once screwed down, only
adds about 3" in total length, beyond the end of the AAC 51t adaptor.  Noticeably lighter
than the SDN-6 (which I also have)...  my favorite suppressor for this platform.

Of course (as I'm sure you realize), there's still a bit of supersonic crack from the
bullet, so not "silent" by any means.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my mini4...

Length and weight are my primary concerns with calibers that are supersonic.  That in mind, the AAC Mini4 adds very little to end of the barrel (2.8in.) and is relatively light considering its construction (not regarding TI cans, since they are longer than this option).

Depends on what you want...I also have an SDN-6 so I wanted to go with something in line with the purpose of the SBR.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:59:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one right now on a PS-90 SBR-- works great... once screwed down, only
adds about 3" in total length, beyond the end of the AAC 51t adaptor.  Noticeably lighter
than the SDN-6 (which I also have)...  my favorite suppressor for this platform.

Of course (as I'm sure you realize), there's still a bit of supersonic crack from the
bullet, so not "silent" by any means.

View Quote

Good to hear. I was in the same situation as the OP. I have a SDN6 so I didn't think the M42k would be too much different. I'm waiting on my stamps for my AAC mini 4 and my SBR for my PS90.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:42:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I shot one on a 11.5. It had a gnarly fireball but sound attenuation was very good and backpressure minimal. Sound was similar to a semi auto .22 shooting cci stingers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#5]
SDN6 and mini-4 are a good combo.  I love my mini-4 too.  OP you're on the right track.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought the Mini 4 had been discontinued.  Did you find one on a dealers shelf somewhere?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought the Mini 4 had been discontinued.  Did you find one on a dealers shelf somewhere?
View Quote

I don't think they have been discontinued. I picked mine up last week from Quentin Defense here in PHX, $699.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just got one at SS: http://www.silencershop.com/shop/aac-mini-4/
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#9]

I love mine. The size and weight are the biggest plus. You do loose a little in the db reduction but to the shooter's ear it's hard to tell the difference
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#10]
ETA tried to post video with no luck
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone been using a Mini-4 on a 10.3 inch 5.56?  

I'm about to pull the trigger on one...it will be used mostly on the 10.3 but also on a 14.5 inch barrel some.

Does it do a pretty good job at killing the blast associated with the short barrel?  I know it won't be "super quiet" but I've not heard a 5.56 suppressor that really is.  I'm mostly worried about keeping weight and length down and taming the 10.3 enough that I won't completely blow my eardrums out if I have to shoot it inside for HD.  I figure a 10.3 with mini 4 will still be shorter and quieter than an unsuppressed 14.5 or 16 inch carbine at least.  

I've got a 51t Blackout mount on the 14.5, but can't decide if I want a Brakeout or another Blackout on the 10.3 inch upper.  I'm leaning more towards the Brakeout to protect the blast baffle.

Also can't decide how much I want the gas port opened on the barrel while it's getting chopped to 10.3 inches.  I'd like it to function with and without the suppressor but would prefer not to over gas it too much to keep wear down.  The gas port numbers I'm looking at are .071 or .073, so right around MK18 spec or a touch larger.  I typically shoot 5.56 spec ammo, no steel cased stuff.

Any input would be appreciated, sorry for going on so many tangents!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Trent from Unity Tactical (Goteron) posted a review of his mini4 on a 10.5" AR back after it came out. His review was very positive. It was posted a couple places if you take the time to look for it.

Eta: here's one of his posts on the net about it. There's even more if your search "Goteron Mini-4"
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=89593
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Trent from Unity Tactical (Goteron) posted a review of his mini4 on a 10.5" AR back after it came out. His review was very positive. It was posted a couple places if you take the time to look for it.

Eta: here's one of his posts on the net about it. There's even more if your search "Goteron Mini-4"
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=89593
View Quote

I shot his. It was very nice, as stated, although there was indeed some good bit of flash.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the link, I'll try to find more posts from him on the subject.  I've searched and read a lot of posts but missed that one somehow.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the link!  I've searched and read a lot of posts but missed that one somehow.
View Quote

Performed as he stated. I shot it on his AR as pictured. No blowback to speak of, and it was quiet enough that I fired a few rounds without ear-pro while under a metal roof. (No, this was not smart, no, I don't advise it.). I was impressed. It didn't ring my bell, but it wasn't something I will be doing again. I feel that it performed about the same as my fullsize Surefire cans because it had less port noise, even though at the muzzle it was a touch louder. To the shooter, it was a wash. Trent's  Mini4 is the reason I don't buy fullsize cans anymore.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I've got one in NFA jail now.  Guess I'll see how I like it in the spring!

Now I just need to decide on muzzle device and gas port size...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well, I've got one in NFA jail now.  Guess I'll see how I like it in the spring!

Now I just need to decide on muzzle device and gas port size...
View Quote

Get a normal gas port and run the blackout is my .02. I hate specialty crap (needs can to run, etc) and I hate muzzle blast (brakes).
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Get a normal gas port and run the blackout is my .02. I hate specialty crap (needs can to run, etc) and I hate muzzle blast (brakes).
View Quote

I for sure wouldnt have it ported to only run with the suppressor on.  I'll probably go with a "normal" sized gas port as you suggest.  I think I will have the gas port opened up to MK18 spec (.071) but not larger (.073 - .076) as I'd thought about.  Larger could aid functioning with a wider variety of ammo but I don't want it over gassed with the suppressor on.  I figure it'll wear the can over 75% of the time.

I like the idea of the flash hider when used unsuppressed but I don't think it would be doing me much good covered up by a suppressor most of the time.

Since it will have the suppressor on more often than not I'm leaning towards the Brakeout just to soak up some of the beating.  I shot an 11.5 with a Brakeout and only had foamies in and didn't find it to be too obnoxious.  I'm not sure if I'd want to step up to the full double brake though...

Thanks for the input.  

There's really not a lot of info out there on the Mini-4's....especially in regards to their use and performance on short barrels since that isn't really what they were designed for.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I for sure wouldnt have it ported to only run with the suppressor on.  I'll probably go with a "normal" sized gas port as you suggest.  I think I will have the gas port opened up to MK18 spec (.071) but not larger (.073 - .076) as I'd thought about.  Larger could aid functioning with a wider variety of ammo but I don't want it over gassed with the suppressor on.  I figure it'll wear the can over 75% of the time.

I like the idea of the flash hider when used unsuppressed but I don't think it would be doing me much good covered up by a suppressor most of the time.

Since it will have the suppressor on more often than not I'm leaning towards the Brakeout just to soak up some of the beating.  I shot an 11.5 with a Brakeout and only had foamies in and didn't find it to be too obnoxious.  I'm not sure if I'd want to step up to the full double brake though...

Thanks for the input.  

There's really not a lot of info out there on the Mini-4's....especially in regards to their use and performance on short barrels since that isn't really what they were designed for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the input.  

Have shot an 11.5'' with both a brake and the comp and the flash hider that AAC offers.  With the flash hider it is very tame and throws everything forward but it is also a jumpy little gun when shooting.  With the brake it stays pretty flat, not very, but throws a lot of concussion into my face and the sides.  People hate it.  After shooting a bunch of rounds through it even as the shooter it's unpleasant.  The comp I'd say is like 60% of the concussion of the brake - it cuts down on some of it for sure, and it's OK at soaking up recoil.  Like they say, it's jack of all trades, master of none.  It's a decent compromise.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#20]
i have a 10.5 SBR that i shoot with 2 different AAC cans,  an M4-2k and and old original SCAR-SD can that was 6" long. the SCAR  SD is by far my favorite can because of the reduced weight and length. its a hair louder but the trade off is worth it.

i never shoot without ears anyway just cuz and party because i'm a lefty and get extra noise in my right ear from the ejection port that i dont need.

shooting right handed is a huge bonus with cans, less crap in your face and less noise.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I was just shooting my DD MK18 with the Mini 4 yesterday. Works great! Keeps the platform light and short and I wasn't wearing ear pro with it. I was shooting outside though and wouldn't want to shoot it indoors without ear pro. Does a great job at eliminating the blast from the short barrel, but does have a decent amount of gas blowback. A little louder than shooting with a full size can but still manageable. I am running the Brakout with my setup, to protect the baffles. The AAC Muzzle Brake doesn't work with the MK18 rail and 10.3" barrel. Hope this helps!

Quoted:
Anyone been using a Mini-4 on a 10.3 inch 5.56?  

I'm about to pull the trigger on one...it will be used mostly on the 10.3 but also on a 14.5 inch barrel some.

Does it do a pretty good job at killing the blast associated with the short barrel?  I know it won't be "super quiet" but I've not heard a 5.56 suppressor that really is.  I'm mostly worried about keeping weight and length down and taming the 10.3 enough that I won't completely blow my eardrums out if I have to shoot it inside for HD.  I figure a 10.3 with mini 4 will still be shorter and quieter than an unsuppressed 14.5 or 16 inch carbine at least.  

I've got a 51t Blackout mount on the 14.5, but can't decide if I want a Brakeout or another Blackout on the 10.3 inch upper.  I'm leaning more towards the Brakeout to protect the blast baffle.

Also can't decide how much I want the gas port opened on the barrel while it's getting chopped to 10.3 inches.  I'd like it to function with and without the suppressor but would prefer not to over gas it too much to keep wear down.  The gas port numbers I'm looking at are .071 or .073, so right around MK18 spec or a touch larger.  I typically shoot 5.56 spec ammo, no steel cased stuff.

Any input would be appreciated, sorry for going on so many tangents!
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was just shooting my DD MK18 with the Mini 4 yesterday. Works great! Keeps the platform light and short and I wasn't wearing ear pro with it. I was shooting outside though and wouldn't want to shoot it indoors without ear pro. Does a great job at eliminating the blast from the short barrel, but does have a decent amount of gas blowback. A little louder than shooting with a full size can but still manageable. I am running the Brakout with my setup, to protect the baffles. The AAC Muzzle Brake doesn't work with the MK18 rail and 10.3" barrel. Hope this helps!
View Quote

Thanks, that kinda helped me get an idea of what to expect sound wise.  You're describing the 10.3 with Mini-4 about as I expected it would be.  Oh and you can get the full 2 chamber brake to work with the Mk18 rail but it takes a spacer or lots of shims.  Quite a few people have used the brake with that barrel length and rail combo by using the thread spacer Gemtech makes.  The spacer sounds like a better idea than stacking shims to me.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:36:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Shameless photo whoring....I just need new photos of it...

Anyways, I really enjoy my SBR with the Mini4. I will be moving it over toy BCM KMR 11.5" upper though.

I'll probably get another Mini 4 or maybe an M42k for the MK18 once I pull the can off of it. I have an SDN-6 that's just sitting but I have .308 plans in mind for it...

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks good!  And yes you do need some new pics, I keep running into those same shots of yours during my searches and need some new ones to look at!  Haha.

Mine is going to be set up pretty similar to yours.  It's nice to see the Mini-4, Mk18 rail, and T1 together in pictures.  Looks like they all go well together and make for a nice compact package.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Lol...I just don't have any good background to take pics against...could just do the old fashioned white paper with decent lighting but I like the environment more.

I will have a pair of SBR's with cans here in a little while.  It is fairly light weight.  Considering what it is, it is lighter of course than a 16" version with the same kit...

That having been said, the set up with can, sling, 30rd lancer AWM magazine loaded, everything in the picture, weighs in at 9.8lbs on my scale....which really isn't bad but I do want a lighter option (hence my 11.5" BCM KMR build).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top