Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2014 11:07:40 AM EDT
This will be my first venture into the NFA world. I am looking for an entry level can and am on a budget, if you will.

Right now, I am looking hard at the YHM Phantom QD and Huntertown Arms Kestrel. I know Huntertown Arms has had some negative reviews here, but I want to know how well it will stack up against something like the YHM CMV QD model. I like that the YHM has the mounts I can leave on the weapons, however if the Kestrel is a better can overall, I will go that route instead. The can will spend most of its life on a 10.5'' AR and will probably make it over to a 16'' every now and then.

I have looked at the SilencerCo SpecWar 5.56 as well, but it's a little out of my range at the moment. I know the NFA world isn't cheap, but is this can REALLY worth it over the YHM?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This will be my first venture into the NFA world. I am looking for an entry level can and am on a budget, if you will.

Right now, I am looking hard at the YHM Phantom QD and Huntertown Arms Kestrel. I know Huntertown Arms has had some negative reviews here, but I want to know how well it will stack up against something like the YHM CMV QD model. I like that the YHM has the mounts I can leave on the weapons, however if the Kestrel is a better can overall, I will go that route instead. The can will spend most of its life on a 10.5'' AR and will probably make it over to a 16'' every now and then.

I have looked at the SilencerCo SpecWar 5.56 as well, but it's a little out of my range at the moment. I know the NFA world isn't cheap, but is this can REALLY worth it over the YHM?
View Quote

I bought a YHM LT as my first can. It's a .30 can, so you don't have the buyer's remorse of not having a suppressor that fits a 300BLK, or 6.8, or anything else you may buy/build. It's lighter than the 7.62 YHM Phantom QD and weighs the same as the 5.56 version. Looking down the road, you could even buy a Saker instead of a Specwar and be able to mount it on the same YHM muzzle devices. (I have a Saker 7.62 pending that I'll be able to share across 8 rifles with the YHM LT without having to swap and flash hiders or brakes).

Just an idea.

I like the YHM.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Save longer! Don't wast time on cheap cans, you should consider them lifetime purchases.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing cheap about the YHM cans, good quality and performance from them.

The better question is what mounting system do you want?

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing cheap about the YHM cans, good quality and performance from them.

The better question is what mounting system do you want?

View Quote

Any QD mount I would be happy with. I like the YHM mounts simply from a cost standpoint. They're 15% off at Primary Arms so I was going to go ahead and order one to put on the rifle now in preparation for the can.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
What's your budget?  You can get the brand new 556SD for $450.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really? Where at? At SilencerShop they are $550

I have been looking at cans from $400-500
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got my 556 Specwar for $545, I'd save just a little more.  Only have about 600 rounds through it but I absolutely love it so far. Super solid, and repeatable, lock up and have had zero issues with the can getting stuck on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top