Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2014 8:59:41 AM EDT
I'm installing my FH556RC flash hider/suppressor mount and just discovered that the Rocksett that came with it is all dried up. I have 222MS (blue) and 262MS (red) Loctite on hand and was wondering if I could use it instead of Locktite?

Note: This gun is a SBR and will be used with a suppressor.

So, do I...

A. Use Blue Loctite

B. Use Red Loctite

C. Order Rocksett

Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh hell.  I have OCD.  Red Loctite all the way.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Order the rockset, locktite breaks down with heat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey bud,

IM me your addy I have an extra AAC rockset packet.

Phil
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hey bud,

IM me your addy I have an extra AAC rockset packet.

Phil
View Quote

Thanks! I may need it, but first I am waiting to see if my gunsmith friend has any on hand. Will follow up with an IM later today though. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Is this something that should be done with all qd muzzle devices?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is this something that should be done with all qd muzzle devices?
View Quote

No.

YHM specifically says not to use anything when mounting their QD muzzle devices. I don't know every company's stance on it, but it's definitely not required for all brands.

OP...as info, SS has the tubes in stock for $3 w/ free shipping.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey that's cool, if you need it it's yours.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

It does break down with heat, but (according to Gemtech, who recommends using it on their thread-on cans) there is enough acrylic solids left behind that there is still considerable friction created between the threads. So it is beneficial.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#10]
If anyone is generous and has an extra packet of Rockset, I'm interested in that also.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I think my gunsmith left town for the weekend. This sucks. Here I am sitting on the most clone-correct CQBR known to mankind and I can't go have fun with it over the holiday weekend.

You guys think I could just torque it down without a thread locker and not run a can on it over the weekend?

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A. Use Blue Loctite

B. Use Red Loctite

C. Order Rocksett

View Quote

All three have worked for me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think my gunsmith left town for the weekend. This sucks. Here I am sitting on the most clone-correct CQBR known to mankind and I can't go have fun with it over the holiday weekend.

You guys think I could just torque it down without a thread locker and not run a can on it over the weekend?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-UziCYyK1oB0/U-Zd7gWaNTI/AAAAAAABASU/MekBrf1py_Y/w1478-h985-no/DSC_0181.JPG

View Quote

Seriously over thinking it!! You don't NEED rocksett or any thread locking compound. It helps, but not required. Just torque and be happy!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I hear ya. Torqued it down and packed it up for the lake trip tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Order a few small packets from Silencer Shop. They are only a few bucks each with free shipping.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Seriously over thinking it!! You don't NEED rocksett or any thread locking compound. It helps, but not required. Just torque and be happy!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-UziCYyK1oB0/U-Zd7gWaNTI/AAAAAAABASU/MekBrf1py_Y/w1478-h985-no/DSC_0181.JPG

This. I'm in the same boat as you OP. I got Rocksett on order, but want to shoot a new build... I'm using thread locker temporarily, I'll re-do it when the Rocksett gets here next week.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm installing my FH556RC flash hider/suppressor mount and just discovered that the Rocksett that came with it is all dried up. I have 222MS (blue) and 262MS (red) Loctite on hand and was wondering if I could use it instead of Locktite?

Note: This gun is a SBR and will be used with a suppressor.

So, do I...

A. Use Blue Loctite

B. Use Red Loctite

C. Order Rocksett

Thanks!

View Quote

Why not order some Rocksett and do it correctly? Neither red, nor blue loctite are correct or effective for the job.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hear ya. Torqued it down and packed it up for the lake trip tomorrow.
View Quote

This will be just fine. Just keep an eye on it, but I highly doubt you will have an issue. Do it correctly when you get home. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This. I'm in the same boat as you OP. I got Rocksett on order, but want to shoot a new build... I'm using thread locker temporarily, I'll re-do it when the Rocksett gets here next week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't mess with threadlocker. Now you will have to remove all that crap from your threads, and it will be much harder to remove than if you had used Rocksett, as Rocksett doesn't take hardly any torque to break, but the threadlocker most certainly will.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not LA-5, incorrect.  Sorry...  Had to

I ordered a 2 or 3 ounce container of rocksett from Amazon for like 15 bucks I believe?  That way I never run out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gorgeous rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Gorgeous rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gorgeous rifle.

Thanks! It has taken me 2.5 years to find all of the parts. Those clone threads are a slippery slope!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Don't mess with threadlocker. Now you will have to remove all that crap from your threads, and it will be much harder to remove than if you had used Rocksett, as Rocksett doesn't take hardly any torque to break, but the threadlocker most certainly will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've found Rocksett and thread locker to be about the same difficulty in removing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top