Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2014 2:43:53 PM EDT
anyone have anything to say (first hand) about this can?
I cant hardly find shit on it on the interwebs.
7" and 13.5oz seems very attractive for a 20" gas gun....
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Check Snipers Hide, it's a favorite over there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a buddy who says the following:

It's an awesome can for that platform.
View Quote

I'll see if he'd like to expand on his statement
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#3]
It's one of the top if not THE top accuracy cans for bolt guns. I have a FDE thunder beast in nfa jail now, hope to have it in hand by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I know about the "original" or "flagship" thunderbeast.  buddy of mine has one and its a great can.
the shorter one is attractive to me for a specific application.  think: dedicated can on a precision gas gun (JP LRP-07)

when they say "only gives up 2-3db compared...." I'm thinking that if they're 1-2db quieter than a lot of competitors, then really you're only sacrificing 1-2db in total/average.
if my math is right.

really all I want it to be is a lot closer to hearing safe for hunting without ear pro.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
What cartridge will you be using?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
really all I want it to be is a lot closer to hearing safe for hunting without ear pro.
View Quote

Almost exact question (asking about 30P-1) and an answer from Zak. http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-suppressors/265155-torn-between-tb-30p-1-30ps.html#post3262345
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got the 30P-1 and shot it a few weeks ago without ear pro on just to see what it's like. Rifle was a Scar 17. Me shooting it it was still fairly loud, kinda like a 22 mag rifle. Standing off to the side, my buddy shooting it, it was very quiet. The gas blowback/bolt slamming was a lot of the noise when I'm behind the gun. It's a great suppressor and my main uses will be hunting on a 308 bolt rifle and on my 308 Encore with a little range time on my SCAR. No regrets on my choice.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:40:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a 30PS that I use on a 20" 700 AAC-SD.  It's my only 30 cal can, so I don't have a lot of other options for comparison.  I'll just say I'm very happy with the 30PS.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#9]
good input thus far, thank yall.

what caliber?  308

a buddy of mine has a 30p1 on his 300wm and its a great can.

I have a JP LRP-07 inbound and am wanting to put a dedicated can on it.  I have a liberty can that is similar to a victory and a TI yhm 7.62 QD in the safe and a harvester in nfa jail right now.  I'm just thinking that I'd like to put a thread on can on this new rifle and leave it there.  I wont shoot it unsuppressed probably ever.  I don't really shoot loud guns any more.

fwiw, a "long day" of rifle shooting for me is 100 rounds or less.  and that's (regretfully) pretty infrequent.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are ok with being a little louder (~3db) for being a little shorter, the 30PS will work just fine for you.  :)
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you are ok with being a little louder (~3db) for being a little shorter, the 30PS will work just fine for you.  :)
View Quote

that's kinda the thing....hard to quantify ~3db off the 30p1

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got my 30PS and PSS cans about three weeks ago.  Very happy with them.

I have used the 30PS on a 243, 260 and 308.

I have used the PSS on 300 Whisper/Blackout and 22LR.

Coming from a Shark 308 can and Thunderbeast 338BA I can actually notice the weight savings.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#13]
See if your buddy will let you try his 30P-1.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just got my 30PS and PSS cans about three weeks ago.  Very happy with them.

I have used the PSS on 300 Whisper/Blackout and 22LR.

Coming from a Shark 308 can and Thunderbeast 338BA I can actually notice the weight savings.
View Quote

what's your thoughts on the ps on the 308?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Perfectly fine.  I could not tell any difference noise and/or recoil wise between it and a 30P.  The PSS is definitely louder than both of them, but very quiet with suns.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Perfectly fine.  I could not tell any difference noise and/or recoil wise between it and a 30P.  The PSS is definitely louder than both of them, but very quiet with suns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

really!  that's very interesting.
what did others around you say?  could they tell a difference?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:23:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
really!  that's very interesting.
what did others around you say?  could they tell a difference?
View Quote

Shot it at a match in New Mexico this weekend.

Nobody knew I was using a shorter can until I told them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't think there's anything in the industry that can match it for size, weight and DB redux right now, correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone know if any thunderbeast suppressors, or any others, are rated for 30-378 wby mag?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:41:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if any thunderbeast suppressors, or any others, are rated for 30-378 wby mag?
View Quote

Shy of buying one of the 338 cans that are out there I think the closest you're going to get would be the Specwar as it's rated for 300 RUM. I'd contact SilencerCo before running 30/378 through it though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:45:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Send a note to Thunder Beast with your barrel length and load data.  They'll let you know if it's too much.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

YHM once told me when I was asking if one of their .223 caliber suppressor would withstand 220 Swift, "if it'll fit down the hole, shoot it".
maybe the same holds true for their .30 caliber cans as well?

I had a 30/378 for a while.  its a beast.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the responses, I'm liking the 30cb9, I'll give thunderbeast a call and see what they say.

Well I spoke with a guy at thunderbeast and he said no way to all of their cans and doesn't even think a 338 suppressor will hold the pressure. He suggested a 375 cheytac or bigger can.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#24]
That really surprises me I didn't think it was that that much more powerful than the 300 Rum. I will have to look up some pressures when I get home.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Per wiki the rum generates more pressure than the Weatherby, but both of those generate way more than the lapua. Best of luck in your hunt, I'd call SWR about the Specwar 7.62 since it's built to take the Rum.

Actually did find a post by James from Silencerco stating the Specwar will be fine for your Weatherby 30-378.

I'd love to try suppressing my 300 RUM but unfortunately the previous owner had it MagnaPorted, not replacing the barrel on it just for fun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Per wiki the rum generates more pressure than the Weatherby, but both of those generate way more than the lapua. Best of luck in your hunt, I'd call SWR about the Specwar 7.62 since it's built to take the Rum.

Actually did find a post by James from Silencerco stating the Specwar will be fine for your Weatherby 30-378.

I'd love to try suppressing my 300 RUM but unfortunately the previous owner had it MagnaPorted, not replacing the barrel on it just for fun.
View Quote

You could just have it cut and threaded where the ports are. Might be worth the couple inches in length.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That really surprises me I didn't think it was that that much more powerful than the 300 Rum. I will have to look up some pressures when I get home.
View Quote

I would guess it is just the nature of Ti vs steel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not too far off a 300 rum velocity wise. 180gr bullet between 3600-3700 I believe.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

SilencerCo is actually coming out and doing a demo in a couple weeks so I'll ask them at that time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's not too far off a 300 rum velocity wise. 180gr bullet between 3600-3700 I believe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You actually get about 150 fps more from the weatherby than the RUM......roughly.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You actually get about 150 fps more from the weatherby than the RUM......roughly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, fastest factory 30 caliber cartridge in the world.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and >$100/box factory ammo.  that's why I got rid of mine.
got the 30/378 when it first came out maybe 20? years ago.  was good for punching deer way down a sendero in south texas where a flat shooter was pretty important because accurate rangefinders and ballistics programs were far from common.  I remember my first "range finder" was this weird box thing with mirrors and hash marks in it.  had to range with known sizes like you range with your reticle now.  pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

got the 30/378 when it first came out maybe 20? years ago.  was good for punching deer way down a sendero in south texas where a flat shooter was pretty important because accurate rangefinders and ballistics programs were far from common.  I remember my first "range finder" was this weird box thing with mirrors and hash marks in it.  had to range with known sizes like you range with your reticle now.  pain in the ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn...yeah we've come a long ways since then. Where we hunt elk 800+yds is a common shot,  so you gotta shoot something with good velocity down range.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to get this thread too far off track but take a look at the 7.62 Warbird.......another barrel burner. Almost bought that but brass is a PITA to get, almost bought the 30-378 too but went with the RUM instead due to brass concerns too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not to get this thread too far off track but take a look at the 7.62 Warbird.......another barrel burner. Almost bought that but brass is a PITA to get, almost bought the 30-378 too but went with the RUM instead due to brass concerns too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good choice. If you get too far from common it gets too expensive to be fun. Lately I've been wanting to change to more off the shelf calibers. I shoot 257wby mag as well and it's a thumper but it's not cheap to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Good choice. If you get too far from common it gets too expensive to be fun. Lately I've been wanting to change to more off the shelf calibers. I shoot 257wby mag as well and it's a thumper but it's not cheap to shoot.
View Quote

yep, that's why I shoot 308 now.  factory loadings are as accurate as I need them to be.

I had a 257wby too.  that was a great little gun.  ammo was 3x of 308 though.  my thoughts now are "if you're going to range it and dial it, doesn't have to be a flat shooter, necessarily"
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

yep, that's why I shoot 308 now.  factory loadings are as accurate as I need them to be.

I had a 257wby too.  that was a great little gun.  ammo was 3x of 308 though.  my thoughts now are "if you're going to range it and dial it, doesn't have to be a flat shooter, necessarily"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly where my thinking is heading, I am putting together a parts list for a 260 as we speak
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I just got my 30PS and PSS cans about three weeks ago. Very happy with them.

I have used the PSS on 300 Whisper/Blackout and 22LR
View Quote

Thinking of getting the PSS for a .243win 20" barrel lr
Did you shoot the PSS on the .243 and if so how did it go?

I'm trying to keep the length/weight to a min as this is a hunting rifle.  The pss is the shortest/lightest I can find.
Every now and then we do multi shooters on hogs and I think
the others in the group would appreciate at least some suppression, I know I do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top