Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2014 8:58:08 AM EDT
How many of you are happy with the 9mm and the Octane 45.  I took mine out this past weekend. I had 115 grain bullets and I think that's why I didn't like the sound.   I forgot to get 147 grain.  I liked it with the 45 220 grain.  Sounded good, but I only shot my 9mm twice because I didn't like the suppression.   I bet I see a difference with the proper bullet.  

Has anyone said, no, I don't like 9mm suppression and went on to get a dedicated 9mm suppressor?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#1]
9mm supersonic crack is loud! So I wouldn't judge the performance of the can using supersonic ammo.

There are some examples comparing 9mm subsonic vs. supersonic ammo when shooting suppressed. Obviously the videos don't accurately portray the sound levels but it will give you an idea of the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jfq6zQjKBM

http://youtu.be/0fb8CLXll9I?t=2m22s

I was shooting my Glock 34 with an Octane 45 this weekend using my own 9mm sub loads with 147 gr Montana Gold TMJ bullets. Shooting wet, out in the open, it was very pleasant and none of us needed hearing protection.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#2]
You're hearing the sonic crack from the faster bullets. For the 9mm go with 147gr. bullets when shooting suppressed and
you'll be much happier.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
9mm supersonic crack is loud! So I wouldn't judge the performance of the can using supersonic ammo.

There are some examples comparing 9mm subsonic vs. supersonic ammo when shooting suppressed. Obviously the videos don't accurately portray the sound levels but it will give you an idea of the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jfq6zQjKBM

http://youtu.be/0fb8CLXll9I?t=2m22s

I was shooting my Glock 34 with an Octane 45 this weekend using my own 9mm sub loads with 147 gr Montana Gold TMJ bullets. Shooting wet, out in the open, it was very pleasant and none of us needed hearing protection.
View Quote

yeah, that's it.  It caught me by surprise.   I forgot about the weight of the bullet needing to be 147.   I tried two new suppressors this weekend.   After shooting my spectre II, then the Octane 45 with 220mg, it threw me off.    I'll try it with 147 and I bet I like it.   Just was heading to deer lease to fill feeders and forgot to get the right ammo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#4]
It's not an Octane...but it is a 45 can. If you didn't catch my post in another thread, here's one mag of 147gr from a 7" 9mm AR through a 45Osprey. First day I ever shot it. 22 through a Spectre II was as quiet as I hoped, but the 9mm surprised me. Wasn't sure if the longer 7" barrel would cause it to go supersonic, or at least transonic. It sounded about the same on both Glocks I also shot with the Osprey. Considering it was indoors, it was awful quiet.

I'll probably try a 115/147 alternating mag next time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I bet that's the case.  I reload, so I'll get some 147 grain and work with my chronograph.  You won't know for sure if it's the 7 inch barrel and what you are putting through it unless you chrono it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bet that's the case.  I reload, so I'll get some 147 grain and work with my chronograph.  You won't know for sure if it's the 7 inch barrel and what you are putting through it unless you chrono it.
View Quote

If you reload, you can make Subsonic 115grn  ;).

I got some subsonic 115grn out of my Glock 19 Threaded (Same barrel length as a G17 non-threaded)

115 grn Xtreme Bullet
Range Brass
CCI Primer
1.15 OAL
4.45 Grn Winchester 231
Light taper crimp

Ooooo I love that ammo, cheap to make too! Quieter than factory 147 grn since it's lower pressure.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot 147 gn Freedom Munitions though my G17 with an Octane 45.

Super quiet.

Price is right on the ammo, too!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I got some subsonic 115grn out of my Glock 19 Threaded (Same barrel length as a G17 non-threaded)

115 grn Xtreme Bullet
Range Brass
CCI Primer
1.15 OAL
4.45 Grn Winchester 231
Light taper crimp

Ooooo I love that ammo, cheap to make too! Quieter than factory 147 grn since it's lower pressure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

115 grn Xtreme Bullet
Range Brass
CCI Primer
1.15 OAL
4.45 Grn Winchester 231
Light taper crimp

ahhh, you are one of the lucky ones with W231.  All mine are with unique. All I can find or did find a ways back.  Got enough to do the job for some time.  I placed an order for W231 many moons ago.  Maybe some day.  I'll have to look into loads with unique.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Same situation here OP. I recently took possession of my Octanes in 9mm and .45. The .45 sounds good, but I wear ear plugs with the 9mm because I neglected to buy any subsonic ammo. Now I'm impatiently waiting for my shipment Fiocchi 147 grain to show up so I can try it suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I shoot 147 gn Freedom Munitions though my G17 with an Octane 45.

Super quiet.

Price is right on the ammo, too!
View Quote

+1 my Octane45 is extremely quiet dry on my G17.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

115 grn Xtreme Bullet
Range Brass
CCI Primer
1.15 OAL
4.45 Grn Winchester 231
Light taper crimp

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

115 grn Xtreme Bullet
Range Brass
CCI Primer
1.15 OAL
4.45 Grn Winchester 231
Light taper crimp

Very similar to what I've been doing the past couple of years.  I have now switched to titegroup and a 124gr projectile though
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Next time you're out with the heavier rounds you'll enjoy, I think, the difference in sound.

My normal plinking load for 115gr 9mm's with titegroup as it turned out is subsonic.  It's on the low end of the Hornady data for Titegroup.  I'd made up a bunch of 147's just for the can while I was waiting (octane 45) but the others are also subs so that was a happy coincidence.   This was on a Glock 22 with a lonewolf threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm also trying to decide between an Octane 9 or 45 (or possibly a Liberty Mystic).  For anybody that has both 9 and 45 cans, how big of a difference is there dedicated vs sub-caliber?  I only have a Glock 19 host right now and have pretty much decided to stick with 9mm.  Actually that's not true, it's a G23 w/ LWD 9mm threaded barrel, but still mostly interested in just 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm also trying to decide between an Octane 9 or 45 (or possibly a Liberty Mystic).  For anybody that has both 9 and 45 cans, how big of a difference is there dedicated vs sub-caliber?  I only have a Glock 19 host right now and have pretty much decided to stick with 9mm.  Actually that's not true, it's a G23 w/ LWD 9mm threaded barrel, but still mostly interested in just 9mm.
View Quote

Between the Octane 9 and Octane 45, I would pick the Octane 45. (I have 2 Octane 45s and 1 Octane 9)

Although the bore is bigger in the Octane 45, there are 1 and "1/2" more baffles in the 45 vs. the 9. The length difference is 1 inch and the weight difference is 1.32 ounces. It's not like you're jumping from a Specwar 556 to a Specwar 762 where the differences are noticeably bigger (length difference is 1.7 inches and the weight difference is 4.5 ounces.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I am very happy with the suppression I get from my Octane 45 on my XDM 9mm, it actually turned out to be quite a bit quieter than I was expecting,  It also does a good job on my 9mm AR.  I was using 147gr subs though, I have fired some 115s through it and thought that it wasn't too bad, but definitely louder than the 147s. I only own 9mm pistols and have no plan to get a .40 or .45 at anytime, but I went ahead and got the 45 can just in case I change my mind in the future.  Gotta keep your options open.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Same situation here OP. I recently took possession of my Octanes in 9mm and .45. The .45 sounds good, but I wear ear plugs with the 9mm because I neglected to buy any subsonic ammo. Now I'm impatiently waiting for my shipment Fiocchi 147 grain to show up so I can try it suppressed.
View Quote

Put a couple mags of subsonic through each can today. The Octane 45 on a P220 in .45 and the Octane 9 on a P226 in 9mm. The .45 was definitely more quiet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Put a couple mags of subsonic through each can today. The Octane 45 on a P220 in .45 and the Octane 9 on a P226 in 9mm. The .45 was definitely more quiet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

interesting... 230gr and 147gr?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you try both cans on the 9mm?  Noticeable difference sub-caliber?  Did you have a Glock 19?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Everything I've run thru my Octane9, (9mm 115, 124,147, 300BLK subs, or 5.7 super) has been meh.
Hearing safe, that's all.
Sig228, PS90, m11/9, AR, whatever. Just, meh.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Watched a few too many Hollywood movies huh?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#21]
My TiRANT 45 has always sounded quieter to me shooting .45 than my TiRANT 9 is with 147gr subs.

In an open field my 9 will make my ears ring if I don't have muffs on.  It is alot better now as I switched to a faster burning powder but my .45 still sounds better and has never made my ears ring.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Watched a few too many Hollywood movies huh?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Everything I've run thru my Octane9, (9mm 115, 124,147, 300BLK subs, or 5.7 super) has been meh.
View Quote

Amen! Or +1 or whatever the cool kids are saying these days.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the 9mm was Fiocchi 9APD and the .45 was Federal 230 grain WM5233. The .45 was noticeably more quiet, but the 9mm is somewhat comfortable to shoot without ear plugs too. Both Sigs had brand new recoil springs as well. I may try a heavier spring in the P226 9mm next time to see if that makes any difference.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Did you try both cans on the 9mm?  Noticeable difference sub-caliber?  Did you have a Glock 19?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't shoot that test yet, but hope to this week if not over the weekend. Especially now that I got home to find my case of Freedom Munitions 147 grain 9mm ammo waiting on the doorstep. I'll try to run the Glock 19 and Sig P226 with both cans and the same ammo. I only have one 1/2"-28tpi piston so I'll need to switch back and forth in between cans.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's really starting to look it depends on many factors other than just the can and that is why there are so many different opinions. When they shot the Tirant-9 vs the Octane-9 yesterday, they sure sounded about the same to most of us who were standing just a few feet away. The guy shooting the Octane said that it seems to be much louder than the Tirant for the guy holding the pistols. If I remember correctly, that was with Glock 19s.

Then I tried your Tirant on my P226 and it was really loud. I shouldn't have finished that mag without ear plugs. But with my Octane it is pleasant to shoot. That was all with Fiocchi 9APD. In 10 months or so when I get my Tirant-9, I plan to compare the two cans with different hosts, ammo, recoil springs, etc to see if I can figure out why the differences are not consistent.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I didn't shoot that test yet, but hope to this week if not over the weekend. Especially now that I got home to find my case of Freedom Munitions 147 grain 9mm ammo waiting on the doorstep. I'll try to run the Glock 19 and Sig P226 with both cans and the same ammo. I only have one 1/2"-28tpi piston so I'll need to switch back and forth in between cans.

View Quote

that's good ammo, I just got 1k of it and have been shooting it unsuppressed (cans still in form 3 hell ). it's pretty quiet relatively speaking
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#28]
never quite understood why everyone says .45s are louder than 9 when shooting suppressed.  Have an Osprey 45 and Octane 9, when shooting 230gr and 147gr respectively, don't really see the .45 being any louder.

Now if I shoot 158gr Fiochi through a Beretta 92, that is a different story.  Super quiet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll answer your PM here so everyone can see it. Today I ran Freedom Munitions 9mm 147 grain remanufactured ammo through both cans on my P226 and Glock 19. The tone of the Octane 45 is noticeably lower than the 9. The 45 may be a bit louder, but I had a tough time determining that with my non-calibrated ears. I preferred the tone of the 45 can.

Based on this very limited sample with one 9mm loading, I would not hesitate to buy an Octane 45 for my only (or first) pistol can. And if you like to shoot steel plates, I can almost guarantee that you will not notice a difference between the 2 cans except maybe for the tone. The ping of the bullet hitting the plate seems louder sound of the shot. For the purposes of this test, I fired a bunch of rounds directly into the dirt back stop.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

that's good ammo, I just got 1k of it and have been shooting it unsuppressed (cans still in form 3 hell ). it's pretty quiet relatively speaking
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't be happier with Freedom Munitions ammo.  They have some great sales, too.  I paid $221.34 per thousand delivered the last time they had a sale.  I think Wally is charging, what... $28/box for 100 rd boxes of WWB.  Pretty great deal when you can buy good subs for that price!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top