Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2014 10:37:21 AM EDT
I found what I think is a steal on this can and while I shouldn't spend the money would I be a fool to pass it up?  I plan on using it on 300BLK and limited .308 (20" barrel).  While I realize it isn't as quiet as the RC no supersonic ammo through a can is that quiet to me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a extremely good price. Damn.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a extremely good price. Damn.
View Quote

I wondered if it was too good to be true but they have a good rep.  I just have a sour taste from my troubles with my only can which is an AAC 762SD 18T

I am just concerned I will get it and it won't live up to my expectations and it is still a lot of money to me to spend again on sometime I hate (the AAC).  Do you know of any suppression #'s on it with 300BLK or ~20" .308 barrels?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you looked into the Specwar or Saker?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have read about them but this am specifically interested in the SF as the price is very nice.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have read about them but this am specifically interested in the SF as the price is very nice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, just putting it out there. SF cans are well regarded from what I can gather, I just don't know if they're worth the price, even at $900 for the Mini when you're concerned about sound suppression.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ok, just putting it out there. SF cans are well regarded from what I can gather, I just don't know if they're worth the price, even at $900 for the Mini when you're concerned about sound suppression.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of more concern to me is the mounting system than sound suppression.  My 762SD sounds great but the 18T mount is horrible for anything but plinking.  A couple of db's isn't a huge deal to me but I know where you are coming from.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Of more concern to me is the mounting system than sound suppression.  My 762SD sounds great but the 18T mount is horrible for anything but plinking.  A couple of db's isn't a huge deal to me but I know where you are coming from.
View Quote

It will be more than a couple db's louder than your AAC. The 762 Mini is the same size as the standard 556-RC.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The Saker will be quieter on 308 than the 762 mini, but is not a lot longer than the mini (7.5" vs 6.2").  I haven't played with the SF mounts, but the Saker mount is absolutely rock solid and it's about the same price as you're seeing for that mini.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a good price for that can, but it's a grossly overpriced can. For the same or even more money, I would get a Saker.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't get it personally.

I just wasn't impressed at all with the SOCOM 556's performance:
http://www.silencershop.com/video/surefire-socom-556-rc-performance-test/

I get their objective was probably just to get it right at 140dB and then focus on other stuff, but honestly I just don't see the benefits over other suppressors, at least as a civvie.

This is how another suppressor does:
http://www.silencershop.com/video/aac-556sd-performance-test/
Disclaimer that dB readings can vary a good amount if not done in the same session, even if by the same experimenter under the same methodology.  But that's still a pretty big gulf.

I assume the 762 has about the same baffle design so I'd worry about its performance, especially the mini.  But I am biased since I just paid for a Saker 762 a couple days ago.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:03:28 AM EDT
[#11]
My SF 762 mini is rock solid I wanted the mini to ride on a lmt mws for the for the wight savings was key for me and sound reduction second. this was a hunting/LR range gun. to me after its all said and done im happy with it and im looking for a 762 RC to go with it as for the use with black out I found this  [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXqYA0Q_FwY[/youtube]

and my MWS
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:45:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I found what I think is a steal on this can and while I shouldn't spend the money would I be a fool to pass it up?  I plan on using it on 300BLK and limited .308 (20" barrel).  While I realize it isn't as quiet as the RC no supersonic ammo through a can is that quiet to me.
View Quote

My quick take:

We know that the 556 RC is somewhat of a compromise on sound already.  I have one, run it on SBRs, and am happy to trade a few dbs for weight, mount, POI, etc.

I've seen people that run the 7.62 mini on on 5.56 SBRs suggest they are a bit disappointed in the sound results.  I imagine you'd find the same on BLK - where sound reduction is a huge part of the equation - and probably on your .308.

Silencer Shop has the full sized 7.62 RC right now for $1,210.  These are still probably louder than peers.

SF is currently testing a .300 BLK designed can.  Don' t know if it will work on .308 as well.

I'd go full size 7.62 RC, or 7.62 Saker if I were you, but you have to decide what is best for you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:20:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wouldn't get it personally.

I just wasn't impressed at all with the SOCOM 556's performance:
http://www.silencershop.com/video/surefire-socom-556-rc-performance-test/

I get their objective was probably just to get it right at 140dB and then focus on other stuff, but honestly I just don't see the benefits over other suppressors, at least as a civvie.

This is how another suppressor does:
http://www.silencershop.com/video/aac-556sd-performance-test/
Disclaimer that dB readings can vary a good amount if not done in the same session, even if by the same experimenter under the same methodology.  But that's still a pretty big gulf.

I assume the 762 has about the same baffle design so I'd worry about its performance, especially the mini.  But I am biased since I just paid for a Saker 762 a couple days ago.
View Quote

I was watching some of the videos. One thing I noticed is the unsuppressed readings were about 2 db higher than most of the other cans tests.

It seemed to avg. about 28 db reduction vs the 33-34 of the SiCo cans. So still louder, but that extra two db brings it a little more in line.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Saker will be quieter on 308 than the 762 mini, but is not a lot longer than the mini (7.5" vs 6.2").  I haven't played with the SF mounts, but the Saker mount is absolutely rock solid and it's about the same price as you're seeing for that mini.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the input but I decided against another suppressor and got an 11.5" BCM KMR upper instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top