Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2014 5:42:44 AM EDT
Poll incoming
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:52:44 AM EDT
[#1]
separate
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:13:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Poll fail. Can't vote for more than one option.
I have more than one can, so...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
separate
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#4]
seperate
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I never even take my m4-2000 off the host., Just leave it dirty and throw it back in the safe.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I never even take my m4-2000 SOCOM Mini off the host., Just leave it dirty and throw it back in the safe.
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw recently on silencertalk that leaving a dirty can on the host weapon can cause the bore to rust. They recommended cleaning can and host gun after every shooting session….
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I saw recently on silencertalk that leaving a dirty can on the host weapon can cause the bore to rust. They recommended cleaning can and host gun after every shooting session….
View Quote

Fuck it, the gun its on has almost 50k through it. Needs a new barrel anyways.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Dirty, on gun, muzzle up.

Also, I didn't realize that one actually "cleaned" centerfire rifle cans. I mean, I understand that it can theoretically be done with solvents and compressed air, but I don't think it's necessary.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who was "they" and what was the reasoning?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Dirty, on gun, muzzle up.

Also, I didn't realize that one actually "cleaned" centerfire rifle cans. I mean, I understand that it can theoretically be done with solvents and compressed air, but I don't think it's necessary.
View Quote

It's not
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#14]
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=100012&start=25

Corrosion was the concern, iirc. I ask because I wabt to know if storing my sbr with suppressor attached and ready to go is harmful in any way.

Yes, the suppressor can trap in the humidity and corrosion can take place, not just in the suppressor but the weapon itself.

I don't know how much corrosion would happen because I would never store a can on a firearm. What I do know is that a suppressor is designed to keep gases in, so why wouldn't it hold humidity?

Moisture Accumulation and Weapon Storage

Water is a major byproduct of gunpowder combustion. A good suppressor will capture and retain a considerable amount of the liquid. Twenty shots from a .308 will cause about a teaspoonful of water to be captured. Whenever possible, the weapon should be carried and stored with the muzzle pointing straight down. The bolt or action should remain open to allow accumulated water to evaporate and vent. If the suppressor is removed as soon as the shooting stops, heat in the suppressor will rapidly dry most of the internal components.
Unfortunately, most rifles are traditionally stored muzzle-up. This causes water and trapped particulates to slowly release, where they will fall and lodge in the chamber area and bolt face. Burned gunpowder is quite dirty, and the inside of a suppressor is usually filthy. Cleaning is best accomplished by flushing the can in solvent, draining, and blowing the unit out with compressed air. One should get in the habit of storing a suppressed rifle by hanging it, muzzle-down. Even stainless steel components will rust if trapped water is not allowed to vent. This may result in a suppressor rusted tightly to its barrel. A bore with rust near its muzzle may lose its accuracy. Corrosion can occur quickly in a warm, moist environment. This is not an aspect to be ignored.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Corrosion was the concern, iirc. I ask because I wabt to know if storing my sbr with suppressor attached and ready to go is harmful in any way.

Yes, the suppressor can trap in the humidity and corrosion can take place, not just in the suppressor but the weapon itself.

I don't know how much corrosion would happen because I would never store a can on a firearm. What I do know is that a suppressor is designed to keep gases in, so why wouldn't it hold humidity?

Water is a major byproduct of gunpowder combustion. A good suppressor will capture and retain a considerable amount of the liquid. Twenty shots from a .308 will cause about a teaspoonful of water to be captured. Whenever possible, the weapon should be carried and stored with the muzzle pointing straight down. The bolt or action should remain open to allow accumulated water to evaporate and vent. If the suppressor is removed as soon as the shooting stops, heat in the suppressor will rapidly dry most of the internal components.
Unfortunately, most rifles are traditionally stored muzzle-up. This causes water and trapped particulates to slowly release, where they will fall and lodge in the chamber area and bolt face. Burned gunpowder is quite dirty, and the inside of a suppressor is usually filthy. Cleaning is best accomplished by flushing the can in solvent, draining, and blowing the unit out with compressed air. One should get in the habit of storing a suppressed rifle by hanging it, muzzle-down. Even stainless steel components will rust if trapped water is not allowed to vent. This may result in a suppressor rusted tightly to its barrel. A bore with rust near its muzzle may lose its accuracy. Corrosion can occur quickly in a warm, moist environment. This is not an aspect to be ignored.

I can confirm that my cans do condense water after just a couple of shots.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm so lazy about taking one most of my cans off, it won't come off anymore even if I wanted it to...  Too much full auto and lack of maintenance.  Gonna have to send it back to the mfg and see if they can get it off it's QD mount.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep shooting them. if water is staying on your can, you don't shoot enough
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#18]
How does my can hold humidity when it's freaking 700 degrees and I'm getting tired of waiting for it to cool down so I can pack it up and leave the range?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Seperate and dirty, who cleans cans?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How does my can hold humidity when it's freaking 700 degrees and I'm getting tired of waiting for it to cool down so I can pack it up and leave the range?
View Quote

After it cools down enough put it in a glass jar and watch it
Sweat several hours after.
A non stainless muffler on a car tends to rott from the inside instead of the outside in a dry state.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Seperate from rifle/handgun and in their own pouch.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Seperate from rifle/handgun and in their own pouch.

View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Pelican case with various pistons inside.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Separate.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s680.photobucket.com/user/slipjett/media/IMG_6306_zpscf6066a8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/slipjett/IMG_6306_zpscf6066a8.jpg</a>
View Quote

So beautiful....should have sent a poet...
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

The better question is - why does your can have magical properties that cause it to form condensation inside, when the rest of the metal stuff in your safe doesn't?

If the surface temp of your guns - to include the suppressor(s), barrels, receivers, bolts, etc. - is below the dew point of the air surrounding them, then condensation will form. You prevent this by doing things like using air conditioning to reduce humidity and using dessication methods inside of your safe.

I can see this being an issue if your guns are outside on a cold day in the winter, and you throw them right into the safe in the nice, warm house. But that's not an issue endemic to suppressors. It applies to any cold thing that you suddenly move into a warmer environment.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s680.photobucket.com/user/slipjett/media/IMG_6306_zpscf6066a8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/slipjett/IMG_6306_zpscf6066a8.jpg</a>
View Quote

WOW

I have a long way to go
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The better question is - why does your can have magical properties that cause it to form condensation inside, when the rest of the metal stuff in your safe doesn't?

If the surface temp of your guns - to include the suppressor(s), barrels, receivers, bolts, etc. - is below the dew point of the air surrounding them, then condensation will form. You prevent this by doing things like using air conditioning to reduce humidity and using dessication methods inside of your safe.

I can see this being an issue if your guns are outside on a cold day in the winter, and you throw them right into the safe in the nice, warm house. But that's not an issue endemic to suppressors. It applies to any cold thing that you suddenly move into a warmer environment.

As far as moisture being a byproduct of gunfire ... the claim that 20 shots of .308 forms a teaspoon (5 mL) seems way off. Maybe the equations say it forms that much, but there ain't 5cc of water inside a can after 20 shots. If there were, your can would be steaming like Old Faithful. It's going to get blown out the exit hole and/or boiled off pretty fast.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:52:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

You, my friend, have won. I bow to you. Fuckin WOW.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

NICE!! Did we just become best friends?! lol
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#32]

You are not done yet.  I just got done ordering 16 new cans to replace my old cans.  I tried to order 20 but 4 weren't available yet.  And I already have another two more cans I need to put on order.  It doesn't end.

I'm not looking forward to $3200 in transfer fees.

And then there are the mounts...

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the comments, and I never said I was done.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You are not done yet.  I just got done ordering 16 new cans to replace my old cans.  I tried to order 20 but 4 weren't available yet.  And I already have another two more cans I need to put on order.  It doesn't end.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Mine live in pouches on the inner surface of my safe door, under the rows of handguns.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Holy shitfuck. I dig your style, man.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

We should hang out, 8-9 months from now.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I store everything off the weapon. Picked up a 3 drawer cabinet that holds rimfire suppressors in one drawer, centerfire pistol in another and centerfire rifle in the third. Tackle boxes with pistons and mounts and other accessories sit beside it.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Were the old cans lost in a terrible boating accident?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Cans in cases.
View Quote

Do you keep some dessicant packs in the cases?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Do you keep some dessicant packs in the cases?
View Quote

Negative
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
WOW

I have a long way to go
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW

I have a long way to go

I'm actually more impressed at all of those pistons

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Were the old cans lost in a terrible boating accident?
View Quote

No, they are all just really old from back when I was a C3 dealer.  My pistol cans are Gemtech "SOS" for instance.  Generations of technology ago.  And I am so lazy I know my M4-96D won't come off (pre runner to the Gemtech G5) it's mount anymore, and I don't know about a KAC Navy can I have on a factory MP5SD, as well as an SRT Commanche that even if I did get off, I doubt I could pull the baffle stack out of it to clean it, since I NEVER have, and I shoot that in full auto on a rimfire uppered M16.

In the last year or so I met my first shooting friend in NV, where my second home is.  Like slipjett he is a suppressor freak and has over 30 cans.  Great to meet likeminded people.  He taught me a lot I needed to know before ordering a new wave of suppressors and upgrading my old crap.

But back to the OP - I'm so lazy in not pulling my cans off when storing, I fear more than one has become "integral"...  I swear that once I get my new cans, I promise to make more effort to pull them off when storing and keep my mounts clean, as well as servicing my cans.

Like slipjett's picture, I am really digging Engineer's pic.  Gear is organized, stored properly, and compartments labeled? I find that extremely sexy.  The picture pleases my anal/OCD nature (which I prefer to call dedication).

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Clean the gun, not the silencer, store it flat.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#46]
After a shooting session I remove and reattach to ensure my suppressors with quick attach don't become carbon welded. Get everything in rifle/range bags and then store on hosts horizontally (no poll option). Suppressors that are user serviceable are cleaned at sufficient intervals in a blast cabinet with soda media. For hosts I don't clean every time I shoot, quick wipe down and bore snake. Detail cleaning happens every month or three. Gets tedious detail cleaning 4-15:hosts and suppressors every range or comp session.

Once upon a time I was in comms with slipjet about suppressors. I like where you went with the addiction

Congrats on your $3200 of inbound stamps Mike I think you made some really good choices.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:13:57 AM EDT
[#47]
^^^^^^^My suppressor sensei and his tag line, 'Suppress Everything'
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:33:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

this is awesome
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:39:04 AM EDT
[#49]
My G5 lives on my "bump in the night" rifle.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Once upon a time I was in comms with slipjet about suppressors. I like where you went with the addiction

Congrats on your $3200 of inbound stamps Mike I think you made some really good choices.
View Quote

Thanks to you, John - and now I have three more suppressors I want to order since then.  We need to discuss.  John is my suppressor sensei as well.  Seriously, you truly are the cause of hundreds of suppressor sales both privately and professionally.  It's like you are patient zero.  Just how many more will you infect?

I have had guns rust that were stored in open cell foamed bags and cases that were exposed to humidity.  So far, in throwing my gun with can on into the case and leaving it stored that way, horizontal or upright, I haven't noticed any rust from humidity/condensation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top