Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2014 7:39:11 PM EDT
Im probably overthinking this, but help a brother out. Im installing a SOCOM muzzle brake on a 12" LMT barrel and something just doesnt seem right to me. I follow the instructions and added the correct color shim but Im not getting to the 20-30 FT LB that the instruction require.

Lets make sure I have this right.
1.) The chamfered end of the spacer is the end with the diagonal cut in it and that end points to the barrel.
2.) You check for what shim you need with the spacer on, yes?
3.) With spacer and shims in place and the MB hand tightened, the notch at the bottom of the MB should be at the 5 o'clock.
4.) Must use the spacer?

Whats more important correct torque value or correct shims or...?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a Surefire video with Barry Dueck on YouTube that will explain it. I have three SFMB556's installed on my rifles, the most recent one was yesterday and I don't remember them being overly complicated.

Try this.

1. Install SFMB without any shims fairly hand tight.

2. Select the most accurately replicated shims depicted in the diagram in the instructions.

3. Remove MB and install shims use Rocksett and install MB. Use MB wrench to tighten till the index mark on bottom is pointed downward.

You should be done.

You can always call the tech support line for SF for help. Good folks and very willing to help.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:54:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Im probably overthinking this, but help a brother out. Im installing a SOCOM muzzle brake on a 12" LMT barrel and something just doesnt seem right to me. I follow the instructions and added the correct color shim but Im not getting to the 20-30 FT LB that the instruction require.

Lets make sure I have this right.
1.) The chamfered end of the spacer is the end with the diagonal cut in it and that end points to the barrel.
2.) You check for what shim you need with the spacer on, yes?
3.) With spacer and shims in place and the MB hand tightened, the notch at the bottom of the MB should be at the 5 o'clock.
4.) Must use the spacer?

Whats more important correct torque value or correct shims or...?
View Quote

How are you not getting the correct torque? Are you saying at 20-30 ft/lbs you are going past bottom dead center for the indexing tab or it's not getting to bdc? If so align the tab with different shims so it's higher or lower and see if that with 20-30 ft/lbs gets you the tab at bdc. The instructions tell you basically how to install their mount, but as barrels/threads/torque wrenches are all different, you may need to try some different combinations to get it exactly how you want.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Surefire squared me away.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Surefire squared me away.
View Quote

Care to enlighten the rest of the group that may have this or run into it..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top