Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2014 6:36:58 PM EDT
I have no experience with a direct thread suppressor so naturally I'm curious.  Do you put the sucker on with something like rockset and then torque it on to XX pounds?  Or do you weld/pin it in some way to keep it on?  

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have no experience with a direct thread suppressor so naturally I'm curious.  Do you put the sucker on with something like rockset and then torque it on to XX pounds?  Or do you weld/pin it in some way to keep it on?  
View Quote

rocksett or Loctite are one way that's used sometimes.  Lock washer is another, or some other type of retaining system.

Many of them just screw on, and you check they're not coming loose every few mags (M10 suppressors come to mind here).

Only method I've never heard of is pinning or welding to keep a thread-on can in place, unless it was part of a dedicated upper system, trying to get the length up to avoid a second stamp as an SBR.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:21:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

rocksett or Loctite are one way that's used sometimes.  Lock washer is another, or some other type of retaining system.

Many of them just screw on, and you check they're not coming loose every few mags (M10 suppressors come to mind here).

Only method I've never heard of is pinning or welding to keep a thread-on can in place, unless it was part of a dedicated upper system, trying to get the length up to avoid a second stamp as an SBR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an innovative arms apex .22lr and innovative arms grunt 5.56 that are both direct thread. I just thread them on hand tight and fire away. I have never had any issues with them coming loose. I will check them to ensure they are still tight every few mags.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Direct thread use is usually, but not always reserved for prcision rifles where POI shift minimizing is a must, for firearms where the suppressor will be dedicated long term use, or
sole firearm use.  So if you plan on parking the suppressor on a weapon and leaving it there for long periods or are primarily concerned with accuracy, go with a direct thread on mount, otherwise
look into QD attachments.

Even if I intended to set and forget, I wouldn't use rockset or Loc-tite on it if there is any possiblity that you want to remove it for cleaning, transportation, use on another firearm, or service.
The only time I would perm. attach (using blind pin and weld) is for the reason mentioned above, to make it a permanent part of the barrel, to get it to 16" barrel length for legal reasons
and even then, only with specific types and models of suppressors.

What would your application be, maybe we can help you narrow your selection or options down.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at thread on 556 TI cans and noticing how much lighter they were than say my m4-2000.  I was also figuring the added 4oz of a mount might be nice to do away with hence the direct thread.  A lightweight TI can on the end of either an SBR or a precision 556 rig was my thought for application.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Right on. Sounds like you've thought this one through. I would still be reluctant to use rockset for the reason I mentioned before, as once cured
it is a real bitch to get off again.  Whichever suppressor you end up going with, I would just follow their recommendations on attaching
and see how that works out for your uses.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:03:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a Gemtech GMT-556LE (Similar to the Trek-T), its very light weight and i use as a dedicated suppressor for my MK18 upper. They are small hassle to switch between rifles but if you are going to leave it on one rifle its def the way to go as it will save weight and length. I just hand tighten the suppressor and use Loctite 2422 on the threads, which is the same as the regular loctite but just made for high temperature applications.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top