Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 5:06:52 PM EDT
I've been waiting for awhile for my form 1 to get to me. Now its all mine and I've been thinking. The M92 is loud as hell and i need to tame that for the range. out door ranges are fine but indoor ranges have there eyes on me. There are plenty of suppressors on the market but they are more design for the AR's. I'm interested in a "CAN" that uses all of that untapped rel estate above the barrel to the front sight.  Is there a suppressor that is specifically designed for the AK that can get my SBR in the sub 135 db or lower range with out running it wet.

I've came this far and like everyone told me this nfa item stuff is addictive. So if ya'll can,

Also looking to spend about 700 for the can. if there isn't a can that is dedicated to the AK i'll take the next best thing in that price range.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Silly question, are the threads concentric to the bore?  My AMD-65 threads were not concentric, so I couldn't run my Phantom on it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#2]
yes they are in line so to speak. no worry of baffle strike
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Do those have the standard thread? I run a phantom on my draco and it works very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW62vNa28L0

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
There are adapters that can be bought. but how is the performance of your can on yours? Also how it sound when you run subsonic and a wet can?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't run it with subs yet, haven't had time or resources to work up a load. It is quieter than my 16" ar IMO. Wolf ammo in video. Sounds about the same running yugo m67. The wolf/herters 154gr is a hair louder.

I really don't have much interest in subsonics or I would just run a .45. I've loaded a couple in .308 for gits and shiggles and they are quiet enough that my sister-in-law asked "Well are you going to shoot?" after I already had. She wasn't paying much attention.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are adapters that can be bought. but how is the performance of your can on yours? Also how it sound when you run subsonic and a wet can?
View Quote

Rifle cans are not meant to be run wet....I've heard it CAN rupture the can, but never verified this statement so ymmv.

As to the threads on the Pap-m92, I don't think front sight base mounted threads are going to be concentric... mine weren't and my adaptor wobbled when tightened all the way down...I would take the risk.  My plan is to machine off the threaded portion of the front site base and have the barrel threaded properly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a gunsmith here who can check the threads to see and if needed do a re threading on it. more money to shell out but that the game with nfa items right. also you can run wet can if you want. Most of the manufactures have spec on it. wire jell and water are favorites out there. as they say don't be afraid to ask the makers of the can. Also thank you for the information too. trying to get this can before the being of next year. with the whole 41p going threw.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#8]
If you don't have the means to check thread concentricity yourself, then you should definitely have your gunsmith check before you put rounds downrange.  AK threads are notorious for non-concentricity.  

As far as cans go, I use a YHM Ti Phantom QD, but it's a tad more than your budget.  Maybe the  Huntertown Arms Kestrel?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I forgot to add, but prepare for a lot of blowback.  A LOT OF BLOWBACK.  My WASR-10 is fun to shoot suppressed, but holy cow, you need some good eye pro to keep it out of your eyes.  There's also a good bit of action noise accompanying it as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#10]
thank you for that info. I might have to get in mop 4 when i start shooting
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't heard good reviews about the kestrel lately. one guy quoted that it was even louder
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I haven't heard good reviews about the kestrel lately. one guy quoted that it was even louder
View Quote

Reviews on the 762 Kestrel are pretty bad.

Threads on the FSB may be concentric. You just gotta fit the can on and see if they are. Check out this thread for how I checked the threads cheap and effectively on my '74s.

ETA: I wouldn't bother with a can dedicated to an AK. Most fun mode on my Krink is with ok muzzle device at all. It is quieter with the can, but still rings your ears pretty good. It does sound quiet from a few yards away.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#13]
1. The AK is not a great platform to suppress.  The gas piston vents gas, smoke and noise right at the gas block.

2. AK threads are notoriously crappy.  Because of this, suppressors for AKs typically have excessive clearance around the bullet path.  This generally means they are louder than suppressors for other guns.

3. On your rifle, the threads on the barrel aren't even on the barrel, they're on the gas block...  Its not only important to have them check for concentricity, it's important to have them checked by someone who really knows what they are doing.

4.  After you do all of that, the suppressor performance is still going to be underwhelming, especially on a short barreled AK.

If I had one suppressor, it wouldn't be a dedicated AK suppressor.  If I had 10 suppressors, one of them wouldn't be a dedicated AK suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for your imput.

the points you made about the threading is something I'm looking into. I'm getting the threads check out by the gunsmith that has helped me put all this together. At the start from buying the pistol for a easy build to the form 1 paper work. I think i talk about it in a earlier reply. sorry if i didn't.

It was a fun idea if they made a specific can for it. but im am happy with other cans that are on the market to buy.  

My plans is to have a can mostly for my 308 bolt and my stag arms m4. both are lefties, "10% club is great when looking for stuff"  

A suppressor that i can use on the ak that can tame it would be a plus.

so what suppressor would you recommend from your experience or review?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Recommendation?  I have a YHM Stainless Phantom, actually had it several years now.  I use in on ARs (300BLK & 5.56mm), Rem 700 in 308, and a WASR-10 [14x1 LH].  Does well, YHM offers many thread pitches for mounts and they run about $75 new, and it's heavy enough that you don't have to worry about muzzle rise .
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#16]
have you notice any lost in the sound suppression over the life of the suppressor firing different calibers. also can you fire a 7.62x54R through it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

have you notice any lost in the sound suppression over the life of the suppressor firing different calibers. also can you fire a 7.62x54R through it.
View Quote
No, Yes.

It is rated for any .30 cal (and the ID is approx. .400")

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No, Yes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, Yes.

thank you for the information. its very helpful. anymore imput you want to share
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, I know you were asking the other poster, didn't mean to cut him off with my answer if I did. Just figuring the more input the better. There isn't much more to add, but if you have any questions, then ask. I would reiterate to visually inspect the bore with can attached before firing through it. A dental or auto mirror helps a lot. My ak suppresses as good or better than my AR despite all the statements to the contrary. It is a lower pressure round and doesn't have half a foot or more of barrel out past the gas port.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#20]
its ok. its free for all to reply. just trying to get the community active in the discussion. not many people talk about suppressor on ak in detail. just the military arms channel. with a can review or a short video of someone shooting one. Not much else in detail about threads and other mods, really only on forms. People have been killing me with e barrel extension thing tho.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top